The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Battle Brewing Over Rob Elliot

10:34 am, Tuesday, November 10th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Rob Elliot was being assessed by a specialist yesterday to see if he is fully recovered from that thigh injury  and we suppose if he’s given the all-clear he will join up with the Republic of Ireland squad for their two-game qualifier against Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Martin O’Neill knows all about the great game Rob had on Saturday at Bournemouth even though Rob was carrying a thigh injury and played against doctor’s orders.

martin o'neill

Martin O’Neill – Ireland manager

This is Martin said about the doubts surrounding the Newcastle goalkeeper:

“I find this one a wee bit strange when Rob Elliot actually played the game and was man of the match.”

“He is being assessed by a specialist again today and we will get an update with him either later on this evening or maybe Tuesday morning.”

It’s not strange at all – Newcastle took a risk with him and it paid off – but if Elliot  plays say twice in the next two weeks before the game against Leicester City then that thigh could go again.

And then where would we be – with all three senior goalkeepers not available?

Steve McClaren has made it clear he does not want Rob to join up with the Ireland squad and when asked if that would happen this is what he said:

“I hope not and I don’t think so. He is the man in goal at the moment and we want to wrap him in cotton wool, try to get him out for the next game.”

“He was so positive from Monday because we were wondering what to do. He was so positive to play that we gave him every chance, every opportunity, and then on Friday he trained well. I thought he was excellent.”

With more and more money pouring into the Premier League – allowing players to go away on International duty with the potential of them returning injured and sometimes seriously injured – continues to be a big problem for clubs.

And we have to realize we lost Tim Krul for the season in the last International break, so allowing  Rob to leave and have him come back injured would not be good.

And that’s a huge understatement.

As far as we are concerned the club pays the players’ wages and they have to take priority when there are doubts about the fitness of a particular player  – which is the case at the moment with Rob Elliot.

What do you think?

Tags: Injuries · International break · International News · Newcastle News · Premier League · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Repost to keep up with Ed.

Tavernier is doing great at Rangers, is he still on our books. If he replicated that form here he would solve a few problems.

Vukic could solve a few more.

Debuchey will probably go back to France although I bet he would jump at the chance to come back to us.

• 2 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 10, 2015 at 10:43 AM

If he was playing with an injury against Bournemouth then I am looking forward to seeing him play when is fully fit.

• 3 JDdubai // Nov 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Fairly sure Tavernier isnt on loan, sure he was sold.

Vuckic is a slightly younger SDJ with less of a track record, only in the Scottish 2nd division. Both made of glass seemingly, no point keeping since he now would take up a space in the squad instead of being an u21 and being an “extra” player in the squad.

Dont think we can expect Ireland not to play Elliott after he played the whole game for us and the importance of the Ireland games.

• 4 Jib // Nov 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM

All deference to Munster and his countrymen but O’Neill managed the Scum and he can go and do one !!!!

• 5 AncientC // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Jib, O’neill isn’t Irish.

• 6 Jib // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:07 AM

AncientC
    Neither is Elliot , he was born in Greenwich as was his dad , his grandad came from Cork ffs

• 7 expatmag // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Tavernier was sold to Wigan for 800K a couple of years ago.

• 8 Jib // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM

If he gets game time at Wigan I think the Vuckik loan will turn into a sale .

• 9 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM

It’s the Jackie Charlton syndrome with Elliott then, you are Irish if you’ve had a blood transfusion from an Irishman!! 🙂

• 10 Jib // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Bill
    I think drinking 5 pints of Guiness qualifies

• 11 Rotonda heights // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM

See we’re being linked with Moyes and carroll for the zillionth time.

Moyes has failed miserably and being found out with Manu and now in Spain with some god awful defensive long ball football which didn’t sit well with the natives both home and away.

As for Carroll, why, why, why!!!! We’ve got Mitro and how long before carroll breaks down again or gives goals away in his own area. Carroll comes back and WHU seem to be going backwards a little after a brilliant start without him.

• 12 barkel // Nov 10, 2015 at 11:59 AM

On Elliot, if he wants to play for Ireland he should be allowed to. I for one don’t think he would start the game to be honest, it will most likely be Randolph.

Moyes will be out of the game for about 6-7 months until hippohead gets sacked at the mackems.

I don’t know why we’re continually linked with Carroll, he’s a good player when he’s fit but too injury prone and too expensive. If he was cheap on a pay as you play i’d take him for bench duty

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 10, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Jib, bl**dy ell I’m an Irishman!!

• 14 Lindisfarne // Nov 10, 2015 at 12:03 PM

I watched all Vuckic goals from Rangers last night, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

• 15 sing in the corner // Nov 10, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Took his goals well though Lindis, you can only beat what you are up against and when he was on the pitch at Rangers there were good reports about him.

• 16 sing in the corner // Nov 10, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Essex GB
    How’s the head man? You were on amusing form last night. I read back that you asked something like..’Sing…where’s that from? Is it Chinese?’ 🙂

• 17 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM

There’s probably a legal precedence here, but of course any club should go all the way they can to ensure their players don’t get unnecessary injured!

…anyone who doesn’t get this part – whether there’s s precedence or not, is s lost course I think. Common sense should prevail.

Is Rob fit enough then of course he should travel with the Ireland squad

• 18 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Sing, thanks for asking, I’m alreet. I don’t very often over imbibe and to be honest I didn’t have that much last night but seemed to go straight to my brain. 🙂

As for Vukic I didn’t realise he was still at Rangers, he didn’t get a mention in the SPL roundup show.

• 19 martoon // Nov 10, 2015 at 12:57 PM

barkel @12 – I suspect there probably worried about intense training sessions rather than sitting on the bench during the actual games.

• 20 sparky55 // Nov 10, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Completely off topic but I’ve been away off the blog since before the game on Saturday and just wanted to give some credit where credit’s due…

So as much as it pains me I have to admit Colo had a decent game on Saturday. I’ve been slagging him off for years and one swallow and all that…but he did well.

The issue the team have to worry about is they allowed Bournemouth to create 20 chances and if they half a striker they could have won at a canter.

Leicester as we know will be completely different kettle of fish and rather than SM going off on holiday to Malaga like he did in the last international break when were rock bottom of the league, I hope he’s back here working on Tiote and all the other players who aren’t on international duty to improve their closing down and spoiling tactics

• 21 sparky55 // Nov 10, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Isn’t Haris at Wigan or somewhere over there?

• 22 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM

My mistake I miss-read comment 14 by Lindisfarne.

Also I forgot that Jib had already said he’s at Wigan.

Mine is a very old brain.

Who by the way have really raced downhill from the EPL. Wigan, not my brain!!

previous post: I Play Champions League Football At Newcastle Every Week