The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good News On The Newcastle Goalkeeping Front

3:52 pm, Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 70 Comments

The good news we wanted to hear is that Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot has not travelled with the Republic of Ireland squad to Bosnia and Herzegovina for the first leg of their Euro 2016 play-off match.

Maybe it’s a selfish position to take because if you are Irish we know this is a really important two games – which could see Ireland qualify for the finals in France next summer – and that would be terrific.

Rob Elliott+ Newcastle+United+v+Chelsea+Premier+E39wJm8z4Acl

Rob Elliot – not on the plane with Irish squad

From the Newcastle point of view we have already lost our number one goalkeeper Tim Krul for the season – after he was injured in the last International break and Rob – although he put in a brilliant performance for us last Saturday in our 1-0 win at Bournemouth – still has a dodgy thigh.

So playing two games in this Intentional break would have put pressure on the thigh and it could have gone – again.

Elliot was in the reduced squad of 30 that was announced by manager Martin O’Neill on Monday night, but the Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren did not want Rob to play in either of the two qualifying games since he played with pain last Saturday for Newcastle.

This is what Martin O’Neill said about the Newcastle goalkeeper today:

“In essence, we will be travelling without him to Bosnia.”

It remains to be seen if Rob is available for the home game against Bosnia and Herzegovina, but it’s almost certain he will not be available.

We are hoping that Rob will be receiving concentrated treatment for his thigh injury and will also be having strengthening exercises in an attempt to correct the problem that seemed to be caused a year ago when he also played injured while also deputizing for Tim Krul.

It’s always risky and dangerous to play while you are carrying an injury.

The other good news on the goalkeeping front at Newcastle is that new arrival 25 year-old Karl Darlow is back in training after he has recovered from his ankle injury so he will be pushing Rob for the first team position at Newcastle.

What do you think?

Tags: Euro 2016 · International break · International News · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

70 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM

16th is where I thought we’d end up. (Martoon can correct me.) Finishing 16th ensures a multitude of scares along the way!

• 2 optimistic prime // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM

433 even at home would be nice. Can’t see Anita Colback or Tiote doing that well in that system.

We always seemed to be linked with everyone apart from what we need.
    I took a look at that Xhaka you mentioned and he looks decent, as much as I hated him at Liverpool I quite like Shelvey, id take him over any of our 3. Still disappointed we let Abeid go to be honest.

Repeating yourself is required to post on the blog I beleive. Fill your boots, who ior what would you like?

• 3 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM

We had to play “all the top teams” in the first 10 games, so obviously that part of the season doesn’t really count.
    Now we are playing at our own level, only someone not very bright would deny the football is tremendous.
    And our search for goals won’t stop, we can rest assured of that.
    It doesn’t matter if we are scared. Mike won’t mind. Even last season his gamble paid off. When you are in search of value for many football, the means justify the ends.
    And knowing, as Ashley does, that the fans will be take very personal umbrage at any suggestion that 16th isn’t really progress, why should he blow good English pounds on 10th when we’ll deck the first person who says 16th wasn’t a tremendous achievement?

• 4 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Steve is even committed to trying to stick one or two in the onion bag.
    All at no extra cost!!!
    How’s that for a bonus, football fans?

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Evening Ron…not often I see you on here at this hour 😉

…you are usually a morning person !

• 6 Ron Knee // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:17 PM

The only question is: Is Ashley scared? Is he afraid he’s going to lose PL status, and all that implies for him? If we keep failing to turn that proverbial corner, he’ll have to splash out in the January sales.

• 7 Ron Knee // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Evening jesper

I’ve got a day off – 11th of November.

• 8 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Stay positive Ron,

There’s no way Steve could ever go on a losing run in the second half of the season.
    Why, the very thought is preposterous.
    No-one plans to lose their Premier League status. They just keep trimming and trimming until it kinda happens.

• 9 Ron Knee // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:26 PM

You’re right. I’ve been looking at the table upside down. We’re 4th from the top!

• 10 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:29 PM

That’s the spirit.
    It’s all about perspective.
    I was concerned at Ed always leaving me at the bottom of the blog until AC pointed out that if I used a mobile phone I’d be top.

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Ron…do you do anything special on Remembrance Day?

We have something similar on May 5th

• 12 mackem4life // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM

This is a huge blow for Ireland. Two defining games and we won’t see a more important game for them for nearly 2 years if they lose. Sometimes clubs can be a bit selfish.
    I know the club pays their main wage, but they are also supposed to let the players leave for internationals.
    Most people are supporting their club much more than their country. I believe this is wrong.

• 13 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM

BandB – disagree about no purchases in January. Didn’t Wally make reference to 3 windows – which I took to mean =summer just gone, January and next summer. So even before our poor start I was anticipating a minimum of £30 million being spent.
    With the poor run we may limp towards January with a poor points haul. This I think will focus minds to get more quality players so we don’t go down/ lose PL TV money.

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM

*that was suppose to read May 4th

• 15 barkel // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Elliot wouldn’t be starting on Friday anyway, he was only called up because Given is injured. He’s only made about 4 appearance for the Irish senior team so in this case I don’t think the club are being too selfish. Randolph will start, he’s had a few decent games this season.

I think the major fuss about Elliot is because he played so well against Bournemouth

• 16 Ron Knee // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:43 PM

There’s a two-minute silence at 11am and wreaths are laid in towns and villages.

What’s the significance of May 4th?

• 17 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:45 PM

You can assume that.
    But when quizzed about changes to transfer policy at the recent Fans’ Forum they were very clear that transfer policy “remains unchanged” before referring them for guidance to minutes that pre-date May.
    And those state very bluntly that it is not our preferred window.
    We don’t see windows in isolation. We stick to plans worked out over years.
    I would guess that as far as a CB is concerned, and if the press are right, that would mean signing a replacement for the Williamson of 2009 from similar ranks. Presuming he can be got off the wage bill.
    We may junk some players at Christmas. We do that because people never count them as “proper” outgoings when calculating who’s been bought and sold.
    What Llambias told the Rangers fans is true here. We are have been fed into the Sports Direct machine and value for money is the guiding principle.

• 18 JDdubai // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM

I think we will look to get 2, maybe 3 in January but depends if they are available. As someone mentioned, McClaren said they were building over 3 transfer windows implying that the aim before the season was to do business in January- our current position will hardly have changed that.

Will any first choice players be available then? Unlikely though.

Ed, Austin is available for 8m apparently. We need another thread!!! Maybe suggest loaning Arma to them in the championship in Jan and we take Austin?

• 19 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Ron…on May 4th 1945 Denmark wad granted liberation, when Germany was forced to withdraw from Denmark thus ending five years of occupation.

• 20 Ron Knee // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM

So only three or four days before the official surrender in Europe?

• 21 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:56 PM

BandB – truth of the matter I suppose is that we’ll just have to wait and see. I get the impression that Wally may hold more sway with the board about players required to get all the missing jigsaw pieces.
    Also, as illustrated by the Pardew/Benny affair – the manager/coach would appear to have the final say about a player – ie don’t pick him. Surely Wally can exercise this element of management making it futile to buy players who are not wanted by him.

• 22 John Tudor // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:03 PM

come on let me buy some crock sez he

• 23 barkel // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Before we buy anyone we need to get rid of a few, we have full 25man squad. There’s probably about 5 I would get rid of in Jan although we might need to keep one or two for home-grown rules

I think we could get rid in Jan without making much difference to the squad

Curtis Good
    Yoan Gouffran
    Sylvain Marveaux
    Gabriel Obertan
    Mike Williamson

• 24 mindshaft // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:10 PM

haha – see Eds rolling out the AC stories again … who would pay £20 million for that crock – barely plays 10 games a season and now can’t even train every day.
    Andy cannot play in a passing team which is why Liverpool and now West Ham want rid … Big Sam said he was work shy and wasn’t committed so even he won’t buy him

• 25 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM

I think we will finish 10th but with a strong finish and alot of optimism.

• 26 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:12 PM

I’m just referring to things the club has said on the record. The truth is usually in there under the doublespeak somewhere.
    So when they say they prefer not to do business in the winter I”l believe that until they say or do otherwise.
    They have said they would be prepared to deviate from policy in exceptional circumstances or if the stars align for a shrewd bit of financial business, because this is what they have said on the record.
    Charnley also said on the record that the new head coach role would be a slight adjustment to that which Pardew had, and that, of course, they would continue to take account of his desires, as they had with Pardew. But he would not have the final say and would continue to have to “trust them”.
    This is the stuff that’s on the record.
    People may have a hunch or a gut feeling that McClaren will be calling some some shots, but show me were they have said that.
    People may assume that there’s a £30m pot for January, but show me where they have said that.
    They don’t talk about transfer pots. They get rather narked if anyone does, historically.
    If they do no business, Charnley’s fall back will be that they made the status of the January window very clear, and that he can’t be held responsible for people choosing to believe otherwise.
    Whatever they do, I’m sure there’ll be no fuss.

• 27 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Good is 23. I dont think so. Thats why I didnt get the Abeid deal.

• 28 John Tudor // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM

nee offence but pass me the evo-stik

• 29 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM

I think we have turned the corner in the way the club is run.

New Board
    New Coaching

In CHARNELY I Trust.

• 30 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:22 PM

OP…Let me be different 🙂 No? Alright then…yes, we need a CB, but I don’t think we’ll be getting THE cb we think we need, as they’ve given Colo a 2 year deal. That is unless a real bargain comes along.

On Strikers, I’m stuck, I really like Mitrovich and Perez and don’t want either dropped. However, I think to date we have missed an experience goal scorer, someone who makes things happen out of nothing. Just look at Leicester to see the benefit.

Not too long a recap, for me anyway.

• 31 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Vardy is jst on form. I dont think it will last.

Mitrovic is a goalscorer jst create the assists.

Perez can get u 10 and Mitrovic 15-20. Its the assists needed. That’s why we need Thauvin on pitch.

Perez and Mitrovic will get us alot of goals jst give them time.

• 32 Ron Knee // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Still no sign of TFL.

• 33 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Thauvin is the one that is not playing to his potential and he has shown nothing yet.

In Mcca I trust he will get him playing. I was really impressed with him on Saturday.

• 34 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:36 PM

WillDie…Not suggesting we sign Vardy, just saying having a goal scorer often proves to be the difference in results.

Take Pardews Newcastle, often the saving grace was having a ST who would / could score goals even when things weren’t going well. Ba, Cisse, even Remy.

I agree, I think given time that our two will provide the needed goals, which is why I don’t want either dropped.

I thought in the summer it was a big risk counting on them to provide the goals to make the difference, and so far, that has turned out to be correct.

• 35 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM

I think Mitrovic and Perez can get goals if we can start getting more crosses into the box from both wings this requires Thauvin to play and play well as our right hand side can provide ammo

Means we can move Wijnaldum into the middle as well

All this talk of a striker we do need a Bellamy type I would rather we brought Armstrong back to play that Bellamy role as he has the pace and goal scoring ability and then spent money on a left back , centre back and midfielder

• 36 TroubledToon // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:41 PM

A Mackem!!!!!! Lads, attacccckkkkkkkk!!!!!!! CHAAAAARRRRGGGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!! 😀

• 37 TroubledToon // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:44 PM

JD, that’s an awsum idea… Loaning Arma to QPR n signing Austin. We’d get our man (finally) and better quality opposition for Arma to play against… Its a win win situation for us

• 38 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party
    Spot on about Arma
    I think Vardy will end up another Michu
    With regard to Toe Van , easing him in is the way, Van Gaal threw Memphis Depay in at the deep end and now he can’t make Manure’s bench.
    The PL is really hard for contintental players to assimilate . You must never lose sight of that . A player like Chancel M’Bemba who has taken it in his stride is a real rarity.

• 39 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM

BandB – I’m aware of what the club have said re transfers etc etc – or probably more significant what they have not said.
    They really give absolutely nothing away whereby “the outsider” can work out what they are up to – but neatly have their exceptional circumstances “get out” clause.
    Therefore we as fans can only speculate what may or may not happen – I suppose it provides talking/debating points – which again will be speculation.
    I speculate therefore purchases in January – and if we are really struggling on the points front I speculate further that there will be interest in hoying in a low ball fee for a certain Mr Austin – in Janauary. Or if we are picking up points they’ll wait till the summer and get him for nowt.

• 40 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I can’t really think of a position we need to cover as a matter of urgency.

We have some players coming back from injury who will help , and clearly some others who are nearing the end of their shelf life.

However although the league positions are similar the squad we have now is much stronger than Jan 2013 when Sissoko et al came in.

• 41 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Why do newspapers pay these journalists ?

This item in the Star

The writer then says in the SAME item

“Devastating blow for Newcastle and Sunderland as striker says: You won’t be signing me!”

“If something comes up in January that’s right for myself and my family then I’ll assess the situation with my agent then,”

• 42 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 6:45 PM

This should interest Tsunki from nearly 3 years ago to the day.

• 43 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM

mr tuff – In your usual style you were dismissive – that’s a euphemism for abusive yesterday about why it is a brave new world- everything is relative after all!
    There was a massive disconnect between John Carver, the head coach and the vast majority of toon fans. He oversaw the club’s worst run of form ever. It was baffling as to why he was handed control of a Premier League club and his term at the helm produced nothing but doom and gloom . Given his lack of a managerial pedigree it was really no surprise that he failed on every conceivable level.
    He was loathed by travelling fans whom he constantly abused and he reigned over a disunited team. Carver constantly gave the impression that he had lost control and was about to snap completely. Simply if awards were to be given for the worst manager of the year he would get it!
    As time passed and the losing run continued he started to lash out, at both the fans and the players. The club made a PR effort to defuse the situation following his slanging match with fans around the dugout at the Swansea home game. The media PR massage failed to repair the damage of the public criticism of his own players after yet another defeat at Leicester. Carver was wrong to publicly criticise players for not trying and by this stage just how many players were still with him!

By this stage we were also a laughing stock nationwide amongst fans of other teams. Certainly Carver’s actions signified the end game for any manager under duress, a last cry of public defiance when anything they do has ceased to make any difference. Carver said himself that the players might not be listening to him any more. The dressing room was lost as if an 8-game losing run could suggest anything else.
    You get the picture – survival on the very last day and the announcement eventually of Macca someone with at least a CV and the promise of transfer expenditure on the scale we saw last summer and for two windows to come. This meant we were like a Phoenix from the flames. A brave new world indeed – good things need time to be fulfilled – keep the faith.
    I am quite happy to be accountable. My input should be viewed not as a criticism but as an observation. Many fans / bloggers self esteem is is caught up in the toon’s success or failure.

• 44 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:03 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Snore. ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz Snore.

• 45 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Mr Tuff I must explain a Euphemism is a mild word substituted for one too blunt and not an instrument in a brass band , that’s a Euphonium.

• 46 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Ian you’ve sent him to sleep
    Too many big words for a simple mind
    It’s a defensive mechanism in case his brain overloads

• 47 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Carver – the club created the situation with him -by getting him to be caretaker for six months – until Wally was ready to come.
    Viz also the tales about Garde only being offered 6 months – again it was just to tide things over until Wally was ready.

My take on the situation was that Wally was pencilled in before King Percy left if not before but he would not leave until the season was finished.
    The club was at fault in asking Carver to do the job -a tiding over decision which nearly got us relegated.
    No proof my opinion only.

• 48 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Jib- I am on a break. If you have time could you dig out mr tuff’s fulsome post to me on the subject of “Brave New World”. Don’t bother if you can’t find it – it does say a lot about the sort of fan/ blogger he is.

• 49 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Squadron Leader to Wingman Jib – he’s on now fire a couple of tracers at him – then a missile.

• 50 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:15 PM

mr tuff – You posted for weeks lambasting me for viewing the managerial change as being very positive. Typical of you though when push comes to shove.

• 51 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM

mr tuff – Your the only wally around here.
    Goodnight – keep it relevant.

• 52 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:21 PM

“Squadron Leader to Wingman Jib – when you’ve fired the missile, return to base and collect anything that Mr Tuff has said about my phrase Bwave new world. If you can do that you’ll be a bwave warrior.”
    ” Wingman Jib to Squadron Leader won’t we look a bit daft and childish raking back over posts about a phrase which didn’t really catch on. Not sure about this -looks like we’re just instigating old arguments and will weaken our victim /innocent poster status.
    Squadron Leader to Wingman Jib it’s an order or I won’t be fwiends with you.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Squadron Leader – what a liar – lambasting you in respect of the current management team.
    Not so- I support the new coaches and have posted to that effect. What I have commented upon is your silly phrase “Maccas bwave new world”.
    One of the most daft phrases I’ve heard – it didn’t catch on at all did it.

• 54 welshgeordie9 // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:30 PM

I wish he would give it a rest and have a day off.

• 55 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Do you really ?
    He gives my mates endless amusement

• 56 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Welshie I mean

• 57 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Will you pleas stop ganging up on these three, you ruffian.
    You know how much they hate ganging up.

• 58 welshgeordie9 // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM

He’s not ganging up, I’ve got more things to worry about than some bs comments.

• 59 welshgeordie9 // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Anyway i wish there was league football on this weekend.

• 60 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM

I lost one of my best friends to cancer a week or two ago.
    I didn’t mention it at the time.
    I just stopped posting for a while, as obviously one wouldn’t want to appear to be decrying the insensitivity of the cut and thrust while at the same time joining in.

• 61 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM

BandB – a triple attack from the blog bullies -not a problem – the blog would not be so amusing if I didn’t deliver their daily spankings- and indeed I think they’ve become accustomed to it.
    Even Jibberish is getting mixed up “eeerrrr Ian eeerrrrrrrrrr I mean Welshie eeeerrrrrrr”. Wing Commander what do I do now”.

Comedy Gold -you cannot make this stuff up.
    It would cost a fortune for such a barrel of laughs at a Comedy Club – but it’s free on the blog.

• 62 Llort muw // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM

I rarely post on here but what the hell has happened to this blog? The comments section is just ridiculous, what I presume are grown men are arguing on a blog that has no effect on there lives. Crazy, at least keep the argument Nufc related. It seems you guys have been at it for a while, which is absolutely pointless.

• 63 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Well, threesomes, foursomes and multiples thereof.
    Pots and kettles.
    It’s all a bit dull.

• 64 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Jib suggested a more entertaining game (possibly) when he earlier suggested that the squad this January would be far stronger than the one in January 2013, and far less in need of recruits.
    What would be your composite team and formation from those two squads be, assuming they were all fit?
    The teams you select must be from the squad as it stood on January 1 that year.

• 65 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:22 PM

I predict “Jimmysmith Syndrome” here.
    People say “where’s the football craic,” and then up he pops, as he always does, with something heartfelt and topical on the subject of football.
    And everyone sods off.

• 66 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Sorry but that’s boring.

I’d much prefer to read the extracts that tuff provides.

What wizardry do you deploy in order to intercept that waffle Mr tuff? 97.8 bullshit fm?

• 67 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Haha, that does happen. Poor little Jimmy lol.

• 68 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM

See how I’m trying to battle through the consequences of this massive blog kill boys?
    Why not wait until it picks up, then come back kill it again?

• 69 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Oh…hello AC.
    I was just leaving.
    A belated three huzzahs for your boy.
    What a champ!