The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Martin O’Neill Talks About Newcastle’s Goalkeeper Position

8:20 pm, Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

We reported earlier today that Rob Elliot is out of the Republic of Ireland’s important Euro 2016 play-off game on Friday night in Bosnia and Herzegovina – and he did not travel with the Ireland squad who jetted out today for the game.

Martin has talked to Newcastle officials and with Rob himself – who wants to play – but the Newcastle goalkeeper has admitted he is not fully fit.

martin o'neill

Martin O’Neill – I understand Newcastle’s position

This is what the Republic of Ireland manager said about the Newcastle goalkeeping situation:

“No, I understand Newcastle’s position. From our viewpoint, I think they understand ours. We could call him and assess him ourselves if we so desire.”

“But Rob himself, I think that’s the main person to ask about it all and Rob himself, while feeling that he is not great, would obviously want to do something.”

“But he doesn’t feel as if he’s 100 %, or possibly not even 80% fit, so from that viewpoint, even though he did splendidly in the game, I think we are served well enough.”

“Rob would obviously love to play, but perhaps he’s not completely right.”  “We will in essence travel without him to go to Bosnia, and then we will see how things are.”

“Again, we do have a bit of a problem as well with Keiren Westwood – Keiren has got a foot injury – but he thinks he’s okay.”

The return game is only three days after the first leg and will take place in Dublin next Monday night.

Although nothing is certain at this stage – it’s very unlikely Rob will be fit for that game if he’s not even 80% fit for Friday night’s game.

We are hoping Rob will become fitter before our home game against Leicester City a week on Saturday, but it looks like he will not be 100% fit by then.

Tags: Euro 2016 · Injuries · International break · International News · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:33 PM

Kill it again?

I wasn’t aware I killed it in the first place. That honour goes to you know who, who coincidently are at this moment and previous ones, egged on by you to be better.

You know they can’t.

We all know they can’t.

Why bother.

• 2 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Poo face.

• 3 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Three huzzahs indeed.

He smashed it and thanks for the donation.

You see the pictures?

• 4 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM

I did.
    It was a lovely thought, and he saw it through.
    The example of hope and determination he set was a thousands times more valuable even than the cash he raised.
    Though that will come in very handy too.

• 5 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 8:53 PM

He certainly inspired me. And yes your correct, not to blow my own sons trumpet but he’s incredible, especially after what happened to him earlier this year. Proud daddy ?

Mcmillan were that impressed with what he’d achieved they want to meet him and have arranged a presentation this Friday where he’ll hand over the cheque and they’ll present him with a special certificate.

I did ask ed after we’d climbed it if he’d give it a mention and a thank you on my behalf to the blog after the brilliant effort everyone put in, in sponsoring him but never heard anything back so.

Thanks blog ?

• 6 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM

He is gorgeous like.
    I could eat him all up, as my mum would say (which despite it’s terrifying hints of infant cannabilism, was an endearment… I think….)
    Can you go now so that I have officially killed the blog.

• 7 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:13 PM

been waiting to hear how your lads climb turned out.. well I gather?

• 8 cyprus // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Ed man, did you not help with surveys at IBM? That Carroll question is double barrelled. It’s two questions in one.

• 9 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Everyone says he’s the spit of me so erm, thanks very much lol.

You know you don’t need me to disappear in order for you to demolish the blog. Well if you didn’t, you certainly do now 🙂

Horrid colonial

Sorry mate I thought all knew. It went brilliantly, absolutely smashed it. He was a little knackered coming down but in better shape than his mum. He even went to school the next day. So proud.

I take it you never saw the pictures I posted on here?

I’ll try and re-post, just for you bud.

• 10 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:33 PM

He’s at the top here. Just realised I never put any up of on the way up.

• 11 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:33 PM

At the bottom

• 12 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM

I was just about to say that I never saw the pictures either.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s clear the lad takes after his mother.

• 13 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM

• 14 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:44 PM

At the halfway cafe

Shut it cocknose, haven’t you got speedboats to be giving out 😉

• 15 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Thought you’d all seen em. Sorry. I’ve just put these ones up on instagram

• 16 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:46 PM

The cafe…where AC sat out the rest of the walk?

What’s this speedboat nonsense? Is someone giving away free speedboats?

I’m interested.

• 17 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:46 PM

• 18 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:46 PM

• 19 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:47 PM

• 20 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:47 PM

• 21 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Sorry to Ed for spamming his blog lol.

Ibiza you massive tit, you could of seen them anytime on instagram or just asked me to send you some. Kn0bheed.

• 22 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:52 PM

AC…Whilst I wanted to see the pictures, as I had asked previously, I must admit the idea of having to contact you directly didn’t seem worth it. I’m sure you understand.

As for your instagram. I find your profile picture to be most offensive.

• 23 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Haha you f****r. You’d still be trying to find your way outta the car park ya soft t**t 😉

• 24 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:54 PM

I’d struggle to get out of the car mate. What was all that grey in the background where the sun and blue skies should be?

• 25 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Sorry mate, didn’t remember you asking to see them apart from before we’d done it. I did post some on here not long after we’d done it so just presumed everyone had seen.

My bad.

Don’t come at me all “why would I want to contact you” ya stalker ?

• 26 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Question marks instead of faces. Strange new phone.

Can’t remember my instagram profile picture tbh lol

Is it of the slug? I can understand why you’d find it offensive then.

No idea what that grey stuff was. What I can tell you is, it was damp and clung to you wherever it could. WHEREVER.

You see the pics dok

• 27 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:01 PM

well, im glad he set out to do it, and proud of him he finished, give my colonial regards to him and say well done!!

but I gotta agree with Ibiza… hes got a chance now that he resembles his mum 😉

• 28 welshgeordie9 // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Thanks to all genuine people on here that have sent me messages regarding my dads cancer unlike some on here, i will remember in the future.

• 29 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:02 PM

great pics AC, glad we could all help in a small proud of him like my own lad…. kudos…

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:02 PM

From next Tuesday might not be on here that much.

• 31 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:02 PM

I have mail.

Nice one. Boring?

Mmm. Sleep or mail. Boring mail.

Sleep or mail. Drivel mail.

Sleep it is 😉

• 32 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:03 PM

I think were all pulling for him welshie 🙂

• 33 Average_Contents // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Less of the “he looks like his mum” please lads, I’m getting a complex….

I’m off. Up at 4:30am. So that’s about 6hrs kip. Ge’rinn.

• 34 welshgeordie9 // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:09 PM

• 35 angelswithdirtyfaces // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Two non football comments

Well done AC junior – it’s a slog up that path, especially in the greyness.

Will be keeping fingers crossed for yer Da.

• 36 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Best hopes again to your dad.
    I was thinking….you know how all your match-time predictions “Sunderland are going to win this etc” are always immediately followed by a flood of goals at the opposite end?
    Perhaps you should post a grim prognosis.
    He’s bound to get better immediately.
    I certainly hope he does, as I am certain we all do.
    God bless him, and you.

• 37 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:34 PM

beautifully said BandB 🙂

• 38 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Good evening, Your Frightfulness.
    I hope things are well with your land’s your doomed experiment with self-governance.

• 39 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:45 PM

AC…Is it not best you have a complex, rather than give your lad a complex making him think he looks like you…just to make you feel better? Sorry, I can’t support that. You best go to bed.

BandB…Ha, that made me chuckle.

Did you ever see that letter revoking Americas independence, supposedly penned by John Cleese? Pretty old now, but till makes me laugh.

• 40 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:47 PM

It isn’t a complex.
    AC really is inferior.

• 41 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:50 PM

BandB…If you don’t mind, only one of these will do.

• 42 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Well, boys, I must to bed.
    Eleven strikes, my bingo wings drop off, and I turn into a beautiful princess.

• 43 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM

BandB…I thought that only happened to me! Sleep well.

Goodnight blog. I might save the surprise of which Man U defender could arrive at Newcastle until tomorrow. Who am I kidding, as if I’d get any sleep!

• 44 jimmysmith // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Did Newcastle give Elliot a nudge? Probably, and it’s quite self serving and coercive if they did, considering he’s a capable understudy at Newcastle at best, who certainly appear to view Darlow and probably even Woodman as the greater long term first choice prospects.

O’Neill is no doubt pragmatic enough and experienced enough to know what’s going on and hopefully decent enough not hold it against him, at least Elliot will be hoping so. In reality though, and the club v country debate aside, the two week respite from the full rigours of training is just what his injury needs.

previous post: Good News On The Newcastle Goalkeeping Front