Proof That McClaren Wants To Entertain At Newcastle

There’s a good report in the Chronicle today about Steve McClaren talking regualrly to Development manager Peter Beardsley about various things.

We’re sure some of that is to do with how the youngsters are coming along but also about how Newcastle used to play under Kevin Keegan when we were known as the entertainers.

steve mcclaren fab coloccini bournemouth

Steve McClaren with Fab Coloccini after the game Saturday

This is what Steve said in the Chronicle:

“It is about the fans, and everybody wants to win. ” “We speak to Peter Beardsley a lot and they like attacking football here.”

“I don’t think you have to be a rocket scientist or that bright to see some of that football is great football. “
“Look at some of the chances. “

“The one against Stoke where Moussa Sissoko nearly scored came from a move started from Rob Elliot all the way through the field to the end, it would have been one hell of a goal. “

“And that’s what I want to see. ” “I’d like to see the ball in the back of the net, of course. ” “But that’s what we want to see to get there.”

“We have tried to give them that with two strikers on and the front four. ” “With the derby when we were down to 10 men we were putting a winger on as full-back. “

“We want to go and win. ” “Against Stoke we could have lost it. ” “But that’s what we want to bring. ”  “Now we just wants results.”

It looks like Steve will go all out to attack at home and hopefully we?l do some of that on the road as well this season but yes – we have to pick up as many wins as we can – and soon too,

Talking about the Entertainers (and as an aside) – I was out yesterday with my wife Madeline in Raleigh buying a new 2016 Honda CRV SUV (white with beige leather interior and technology all over the place) – and the salesman happened to be a Manchester City  fan and watches the Premier League all the time.

When I just happened to mention I supported Newcastle United he said – “they had a great side in the 1990s and were a big club then”.

OK – notice that was in the past tense but I did ask him if he saw the game last year when we took them apart 2-0 at their place but then of course a recent 6-1 defeat was quickly brought up.

I did get in we were winning 1-0 in that game but then quickly realizing I was on a hiding to nothing I asked him some simple question about the Honda – to quickly change the subject.

🙂

The point is Newcastle are still remembered around the world for that great Kevin Keegan side – but I also mentioned  yesterday we had a very good side under the great Sir Bobby Robson just over ten years ago.

Let´s hope we see some good attacking football from Newcastle this season and some wins too – and that we can still finish in the top ten – even though we have made a poor start.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Jeff is the village idiot!

…most people would have realize by now that everyone are laughing at their expense…but not the village idiot!

• Jib

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Angels
    A reliance on stats can throw up anomolous conclusions especially with regard to just looking at the defenders (defending is ateam responsibility)

Look at this mini goals-against table for this season thus far :-

Aston Villa 20 Bottom
    Leicester 20 3rd
    Chelsea 23 16th
    NUFC 22 17th
    Bournemouth 25 18th

• martoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Ed, the website must be earning well if you can afford a new Honda SUV 🙂

• Jib

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Ibiza and Jesper feel free to join in the group bullying.
    Other people comment on folks posts

BUT

I “take them to task” “attack them” “pounce”

blog Nazis rule OK

• JP...from The Rock

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM

We need quality passers of the ball for great attacking football again. We have too few of those.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:28 AM
    —- it’s good to know you’re here to bring people to task over their comments.

Pillock

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Jeff…why don’t you take the rest of the week off and reflect on what blog to join next week 😉

…give us a shout if you want some help with that!

• toon kk

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM

KK entertainers would hammer our current squad, we are no more than relegation candidates these days.

• BandB

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Jibbers,

What’s with the Nazi stuff?
    The classic Nazi defence is that they aren’t thugs, but a bullied minority persecuted for speaking the truth, isn’t it?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:59 AM

BandB…jeff is definitely a minority I’ll give him that!

• Ian Toon

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Something I posted somewhat earlier 0n HBA – and I 100% stand by it.

14Ian Toon // Dec 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Since his departure team spirit has increased and throughout the team there is a good work ethic. His return would risk damaging dressing room morale. We don’t want him causing trouble. We are well shot of him as he is not a team player. He’s not due yet another chance at yet again our expense.
    I still remember the West Ham game last season when Carver and Cabaye had to speak to him about his lack of interest in the pre match warm up. Good riddance.

Ibiza- It’s unlike you to misquote ( remember I don’t do sarcasm! )

What I actually said to Jib was ” Good to see your still calling people to account” it’s my mantra, mate- too many young and old people fail to be accountable- it’s always somebody else’s fault. I fly solo and form my own opinions – in the real world I am widely seen as someone who tells it as I see it. I am not always right but have to have the emotional intelligence to admit it.

• BandB

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM

I don’t think he is in a minority jesper.
    Many of his “mistakes” aren’t mistakes at all.
    He is a clever little weasel and knows who his audience of “right thinking fans” are and the they won’t mind him being caught telling the odd whopper.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Jesper have you ever noticed that I never tell anyone to leave the blog.
    However you and Mr Tuff and others behave as if it’s your private fiefdom.
    Only your view of NUFC will be tolerated , now that IS Nazism.
    Please NEVER tell me to leave the blog again or I will have to (for the first time ) e-mail Ed

• Ibizatoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Ian…Hello there. I should have said that it wasn’t a direct quote. It’s why I didn’t use quotation marks, but is the idea not along the same lines?

In life all we can do is fly solo and form our own opinions, of course along the way we do take information etc from others. No one is without any influence, of course.

I too will call it as I see it, and when wrong, I don’t have a problem admitting so. I guess the issue is when others think you’re wrong and want you to admit it. Still, life goes on.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Jib @ 6…Is it not good then? Apologies in advance.

What I was questioning is your comment that Lesh thinks part of Charnelys job is to “deny every dopey rumour that appears in the press”, when that is not what he said, at all.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM

You see there

>BandB calls me a clever little weasel.

Perfectly fine , she’s used no profanities , not sexist , ageist or any other ist.
    I take it on the chin
    NEVER whinge
    However I may well strike back (verbally) that’s what this blog’s and blogging in general is about.
    NOT

I DIVVENT LIKE YOU – OOT

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Jeff…I think both you and I know this is not about the right or freedom of speech.

I’ll even stipulate that you have completely misunderstood the idea of freedom of speech. It seems you don’t understand with it comes responsibility.

You act like a spoiled young brat!

• BandB

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I wouldn’t have you banned Jib.
    It’s a blog.
    Where people disagree.
    Weasels are cunning and rapacious, like you.
    There was a bit of a “see the light or leave the blog” movement in the late summer, but I wasn’t behind it.
    I can’t think who was.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM

That’s better Jesper
    Engage
    Don’t lurk in the background like some Greek chorus
    Your English is still nvg “speculate” not “stipulate”

• Ian Toon

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Ibiza- As far as Jib is concerned. I read more than post these days.
    Try this exercise- Imagine you have not formed an opinion of the blog contributors and just read the content of posts. Also the number of bloggers who come on simply to add their weight in an bullying way.
    I think you’ll be shocked by what insults and abusive process is taking place by some you might have thought unusual suspects. We all give the benefit of the doubt to people we like and not to those we might not. Certain contributors are targeted often by those who contribute far less in football content than their prey.
    I recall you mentioning that everyone should be allowed to contribute. When I first came on we had a massive number of the senior fan types who thought their word was law- with just statements and with no attempt to support their case. In any event I believe in a free press with self regulation. It’s simply my opinion- for what it’s worth.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Ian…Just had someone turn up, so will be back to you in a bit.

• Ian Toon

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Ibiza- I have to go I start work shortly.

• AncientC

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM

I respect that McClaren stuck with two strikers upfront against Bournemouth, he could have easily packed the midfield and attempted to play out a draw.

I am not sure why some people believe we should have been dominating Bournemouth with Tiote and Anita in the center of the park. Harry Arter is miles ahead of both players.

• AncientC

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Ian Toon

Whilst gazing upon your Crystal Ball, and viewing that since HBA’s departure the “team spirit has increased,” did you notice the form guide since that moment onwards?

• will die for the toon army

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM

With our current squad,

We need CB, CF, 2 CMs. We will b good yo go.

• Jib

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM

AC

Not sure that’s a meaningful comparison.

Harry Arter , about as an attacking midfielder as you can get , with Cheick Tiote , about as defensive you can get !!

• AncientC

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Jib, Harry Arter knows how to put in a challenge and intercept the ball too. One of these players that can do more than clatter and make short passes.

If Bournemouth go down, I would happily see him in our squad.

• will die for the toon army

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Abeid was a big mistake by The Board.

• will die for the toon army

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:56 AM

In Carr I trust.

• Munster Mag

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Blind fool !

• Reyantoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Strip Colo off captaincy and drop him?
    Ha ha ha ha ha, 😀

• Ibizatoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Ian…Not a problem, I’m sure you’ll pick this up at a later time.

It’s a good exercise, one I have used before. Do you do the same each time you come on the blog? It doesn’t appear that way, to me at least. If you do, I still maintain your blog stance is hypocritical, which is what you appear to be accusing others of. Perhaps fair enough, but I’m sure you’re aware of the old saying of two wrongs not making a right, which leads me to ask what your point is?

That I should be challenging people who you, or perhaps Jib consider as part of my bully group? I have and do.

I don’t think I can be accussed of not trying to understand who it is I’m discussing things with and why it is they think that way. Jibs comment regarding engaging gave me a good giggle, seeing as he has constantly refused to engage in a half sensible manner, with me anyway.

As for giving some the benefit of doubt, I disagree. They have, when asked by me, explained themselves or what they meant. Jib hasn’t. There is no connection, no understanding and as such, people will struggle to move on.

Funnily enough, it’s a similar issue I have with our club. Some might view it as petty, I view it as vital in the process of drawing a line and then moving on.

Hope you have a good day at work.

• Ian Toon

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM

AncientC- I don’t think you’ve thought your point through. HBA went on a season long loan deal to Hull in September 2014 which they gave notice in December 2014 on ie First opportunity to cancel in January 2015. Bruce also had much to say about it all being well to have talent but without application etc.
    We picked up 40% of the points last season after HBA had departed in two months prior to Pardew’s departure.
    I don’t think your seriously suggesting that my team morale point should apply post Pardew – or are you?

• Ian Toon

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Ibiza – Ask yourself why so many quality posters no longer do ?
    What happened to Belfast – a self deprecating genuinely funny guy.
    Jib’s point about a blog fiefdom is a valid point in my opinion.
    I am sure you have a lot going on in your life but some people clearly don’t . It also not helped by supporting a struggling team – mind, that’s not an excuse.
    When I legitimately make the above point I get accused by a few of causing mischief. Which is why I suggest you treat those posting as an exercise.
    I really do after go you’ll be pleased to learn.

• AncientC

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Ian toon, Ben Arfa was excluded from first team training in the 2nd half of the 13/14 season.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Ian…Look, as you know, your history on this blog has confused the hell out of me. I don’t believe I’ll ever get any proper clarity on the situation, so it’s in a managable place. You must stop with this “you’ll be pleased to learn…” etc, I for one don’t mind you posting, I just do wish you’d be a little more consistent.

If there’s a type of poster you’re highlighting, then surely Jib falls straight in to that category?

As for the quality posters, who knows what the split is, but I can say it’s not just down to those who you think it is. First hand I know of a poster that doesn’t want to because of you.

I think what gets people most is the constant back and forth, whether you agree or not, it becomes boring. For me, the constant back and forth is an issue of not actually dealing with the issues and allowing people to move on, as I mentioned in my previous post.

I personally just don’t understand the mindset. If you’ve got nothing to hide, be forthcoming, if not, don’t be surprised people wont move on.

Having had one of my trickier blog ‘relationships’ for want of a better word, turn around to one of my stronger ones, is living proof that through discussion and understanding you can move on.

Anyway, this was about Jib, who still hasn’t seeked to clarify anything, as he never does.

Who does it suit to have this bad feeling on the blog? Ironically, I don’t believe it to be those labelled the whingers.

A little understanding, goes a long way.

All the best.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Another thing on “quality posters” which I didn’t include (I know, a post that long that missed something out?!?!?)…do you not think that many of them got tired of being called out as not being real fans for not having faith, has had anything to do with it?

• jimmysmith

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM

If Mitro gets injured we are ferked, of course. Unless McC surprises us and plays Rivierre, who surprises us further and manages to stick the odd one away in the old onion bag. It took Mitrovic about 3 games to become our most pivotal player, and two games to become my favourite. Tiote is also fundamental to our fortunes. Their presence and continued good form is vital, and neither has an obvious understudy.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Jimmy…I am interested to see Rivierre again. Obviously goal scoring is a big part of being a striker, but the rest of his game did seem to be improving.

He would be the most logical understudy for Mitrovich. Hopefully he will be more effective under a better approach too.

• nightfa11

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Im glad we’re looking at a german market.. Say whatever you want, But german national team is by far the most disciplined one..

If we can get a cb and a dmc with killer passing in january.. And if armstrong has a clause that he can be recalled in case of Injuries.. We’ll be just fine.. I really think next season we can be above tottenham etc..But we must do whatever it takes to keep top players (Mbemba, winaljdum, perez,mitro)..especially perez..