The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Proof That McClaren Wants To Entertain At Newcastle

10:28 am, Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 76 Comments

There’s a good report in the Chronicle today about Steve McClaren talking regualrly to Development manager Peter Beardsley about various things.

We’re sure some of that is to do with how the youngsters are coming along but also about how Newcastle used to play under Kevin Keegan when we were known as the entertainers.

steve mcclaren fab coloccini bournemouth

Steve McClaren with Fab Coloccini after the game Saturday

This is what Steve said in the Chronicle:

“It is about the fans, and everybody wants to win. ” “We speak to Peter Beardsley a lot and they like attacking football here.”

“I don’t think you have to be a rocket scientist or that bright to see some of that football is great football. “
“Look at some of the chances. “

“The one against Stoke where Moussa Sissoko nearly scored came from a move started from Rob Elliot all the way through the field to the end, it would have been one hell of a goal. “

“And that’s what I want to see. ” “I’d like to see the ball in the back of the net, of course. ” “But that’s what we want to see to get there.”

“We have tried to give them that with two strikers on and the front four. ” “With the derby when we were down to 10 men we were putting a winger on as full-back. “

“We want to go and win. ” “Against Stoke we could have lost it. ” “But that’s what we want to bring. ”  “Now we just wants results.”

It looks like Steve will go all out to attack at home and hopefully we?l do some of that on the road as well this season but yes – we have to pick up as many wins as we can – and soon too,

Talking about the Entertainers (and as an aside) – I was out yesterday with my wife Madeline in Raleigh buying a new 2016 Honda CRV SUV (white with beige leather interior and technology all over the place) – and the salesman happened to be a Manchester City  fan and watches the Premier League all the time.

When I just happened to mention I supported Newcastle United he said – “they had a great side in the 1990s and were a big club then”.

OK – notice that was in the past tense but I did ask him if he saw the game last year when we took them apart 2-0 at their place but then of course a recent 6-1 defeat was quickly brought up.

I did get in we were winning 1-0 in that game but then quickly realizing I was on a hiding to nothing I asked him some simple question about the Honda – to quickly change the subject.

🙂

The point is Newcastle are still remembered around the world for that great Kevin Keegan side – but I also mentioned  yesterday we had a very good side under the great Sir Bobby Robson just over ten years ago.

Let´s hope we see some good attacking football from Newcastle this season and some wins too – and that we can still finish in the top ten – even though we have made a poor start.

Tags: International break · Interview · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

76 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Jeff is the village idiot!

…most people would have realize by now that everyone are laughing at their expense…but not the village idiot!

• 2 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Angels
    A reliance on stats can throw up anomolous conclusions especially with regard to just looking at the defenders (defending is ateam responsibility)

Look at this mini goals-against table for this season thus far :-

Aston Villa 20 Bottom
    Leicester 20 3rd
    Chelsea 23 16th
    NUFC 22 17th
    Bournemouth 25 18th

• 3 martoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Ed, the website must be earning well if you can afford a new Honda SUV 🙂

• 4 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Ibiza and Jesper feel free to join in the group bullying.
    Other people comment on folks posts

BUT

I “take them to task” “attack them” “pounce”

blog Nazis rule OK

• 5 JP...from The Rock // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM

We need quality passers of the ball for great attacking football again. We have too few of those.

• 6 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:28 AM
    —- it’s good to know you’re here to bring people to task over their comments.

Pillock

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Jeff…why don’t you take the rest of the week off and reflect on what blog to join next week 😉

…give us a shout if you want some help with that!

• 8 toon kk // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM

KK entertainers would hammer our current squad, we are no more than relegation candidates these days.

• 9 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Jibbers,

What’s with the Nazi stuff?
    The classic Nazi defence is that they aren’t thugs, but a bullied minority persecuted for speaking the truth, isn’t it?

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:59 AM

BandB…jeff is definitely a minority I’ll give him that!

• 11 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Something I posted somewhat earlier 0n HBA – and I 100% stand by it.

14Ian Toon // Dec 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Since his departure team spirit has increased and throughout the team there is a good work ethic. His return would risk damaging dressing room morale. We don’t want him causing trouble. We are well shot of him as he is not a team player. He’s not due yet another chance at yet again our expense.
    I still remember the West Ham game last season when Carver and Cabaye had to speak to him about his lack of interest in the pre match warm up. Good riddance.

Ibiza- It’s unlike you to misquote ( remember I don’t do sarcasm! )

What I actually said to Jib was ” Good to see your still calling people to account” it’s my mantra, mate- too many young and old people fail to be accountable- it’s always somebody else’s fault. I fly solo and form my own opinions – in the real world I am widely seen as someone who tells it as I see it. I am not always right but have to have the emotional intelligence to admit it.

• 12 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM

I don’t think he is in a minority jesper.
    Many of his “mistakes” aren’t mistakes at all.
    He is a clever little weasel and knows who his audience of “right thinking fans” are and the they won’t mind him being caught telling the odd whopper.

• 13 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Jesper have you ever noticed that I never tell anyone to leave the blog.
    However you and Mr Tuff and others behave as if it’s your private fiefdom.
    Only your view of NUFC will be tolerated , now that IS Nazism.
    Please NEVER tell me to leave the blog again or I will have to (for the first time ) e-mail Ed

• 14 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Ian…Hello there. I should have said that it wasn’t a direct quote. It’s why I didn’t use quotation marks, but is the idea not along the same lines?

In life all we can do is fly solo and form our own opinions, of course along the way we do take information etc from others. No one is without any influence, of course.

I too will call it as I see it, and when wrong, I don’t have a problem admitting so. I guess the issue is when others think you’re wrong and want you to admit it. Still, life goes on.

• 15 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Jib @ 6…Is it not good then? Apologies in advance.

What I was questioning is your comment that Lesh thinks part of Charnelys job is to “deny every dopey rumour that appears in the press”, when that is not what he said, at all.

• 16 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM

You see there

>BandB calls me a clever little weasel.

Perfectly fine , she’s used no profanities , not sexist , ageist or any other ist.
    I take it on the chin
    NEVER whinge
    However I may well strike back (verbally) that’s what this blog’s and blogging in general is about.
    NOT

I DIVVENT LIKE YOU – OOT

• 17 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Jeff…I think both you and I know this is not about the right or freedom of speech.

I’ll even stipulate that you have completely misunderstood the idea of freedom of speech. It seems you don’t understand with it comes responsibility.

You act like a spoiled young brat!

• 18 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I wouldn’t have you banned Jib.
    It’s a blog.
    Where people disagree.
    Weasels are cunning and rapacious, like you.
    There was a bit of a “see the light or leave the blog” movement in the late summer, but I wasn’t behind it.
    I can’t think who was.

• 19 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM

That’s better Jesper
    Engage
    Don’t lurk in the background like some Greek chorus
    Your English is still nvg “speculate” not “stipulate”

• 20 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Ibiza- As far as Jib is concerned. I read more than post these days.
    Try this exercise- Imagine you have not formed an opinion of the blog contributors and just read the content of posts. Also the number of bloggers who come on simply to add their weight in an bullying way.
    I think you’ll be shocked by what insults and abusive process is taking place by some you might have thought unusual suspects. We all give the benefit of the doubt to people we like and not to those we might not. Certain contributors are targeted often by those who contribute far less in football content than their prey.
    I recall you mentioning that everyone should be allowed to contribute. When I first came on we had a massive number of the senior fan types who thought their word was law- with just statements and with no attempt to support their case. In any event I believe in a free press with self regulation. It’s simply my opinion- for what it’s worth.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Ian…Just had someone turn up, so will be back to you in a bit.

• 22 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Ibiza- I have to go I start work shortly.

• 23 AncientC // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM

I respect that McClaren stuck with two strikers upfront against Bournemouth, he could have easily packed the midfield and attempted to play out a draw.

I am not sure why some people believe we should have been dominating Bournemouth with Tiote and Anita in the center of the park. Harry Arter is miles ahead of both players.

• 24 AncientC // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Ian Toon

Whilst gazing upon your Crystal Ball, and viewing that since HBA’s departure the “team spirit has increased,” did you notice the form guide since that moment onwards?

• 25 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM

With our current squad,

We need CB, CF, 2 CMs. We will b good yo go.

• 26 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM

AC

Not sure that’s a meaningful comparison.

Harry Arter , about as an attacking midfielder as you can get , with Cheick Tiote , about as defensive you can get !!

• 27 AncientC // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Jib, Harry Arter knows how to put in a challenge and intercept the ball too. One of these players that can do more than clatter and make short passes.

If Bournemouth go down, I would happily see him in our squad.

• 28 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Abeid was a big mistake by The Board.

• 29 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 11:56 AM

In Carr I trust.

• 30 Munster Mag // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Blind fool !

• 31 Reyantoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Strip Colo off captaincy and drop him?
    Ha ha ha ha ha, 😀

• 32 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Ian…Not a problem, I’m sure you’ll pick this up at a later time.

It’s a good exercise, one I have used before. Do you do the same each time you come on the blog? It doesn’t appear that way, to me at least. If you do, I still maintain your blog stance is hypocritical, which is what you appear to be accusing others of. Perhaps fair enough, but I’m sure you’re aware of the old saying of two wrongs not making a right, which leads me to ask what your point is?

That I should be challenging people who you, or perhaps Jib consider as part of my bully group? I have and do.

I don’t think I can be accussed of not trying to understand who it is I’m discussing things with and why it is they think that way. Jibs comment regarding engaging gave me a good giggle, seeing as he has constantly refused to engage in a half sensible manner, with me anyway.

As for giving some the benefit of doubt, I disagree. They have, when asked by me, explained themselves or what they meant. Jib hasn’t. There is no connection, no understanding and as such, people will struggle to move on.

Funnily enough, it’s a similar issue I have with our club. Some might view it as petty, I view it as vital in the process of drawing a line and then moving on.

Hope you have a good day at work.

• 33 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM

AncientC- I don’t think you’ve thought your point through. HBA went on a season long loan deal to Hull in September 2014 which they gave notice in December 2014 on ie First opportunity to cancel in January 2015. Bruce also had much to say about it all being well to have talent but without application etc.
    We picked up 40% of the points last season after HBA had departed in two months prior to Pardew’s departure.
    I don’t think your seriously suggesting that my team morale point should apply post Pardew – or are you?

• 34 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Ibiza – Ask yourself why so many quality posters no longer do ?
    What happened to Belfast – a self deprecating genuinely funny guy.
    Jib’s point about a blog fiefdom is a valid point in my opinion.
    I am sure you have a lot going on in your life but some people clearly don’t . It also not helped by supporting a struggling team – mind, that’s not an excuse.
    When I legitimately make the above point I get accused by a few of causing mischief. Which is why I suggest you treat those posting as an exercise.
    I really do after go you’ll be pleased to learn.

• 35 AncientC // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Ian toon, Ben Arfa was excluded from first team training in the 2nd half of the 13/14 season.

• 36 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Ian…Look, as you know, your history on this blog has confused the hell out of me. I don’t believe I’ll ever get any proper clarity on the situation, so it’s in a managable place. You must stop with this “you’ll be pleased to learn…” etc, I for one don’t mind you posting, I just do wish you’d be a little more consistent.

If there’s a type of poster you’re highlighting, then surely Jib falls straight in to that category?

As for the quality posters, who knows what the split is, but I can say it’s not just down to those who you think it is. First hand I know of a poster that doesn’t want to because of you.

I think what gets people most is the constant back and forth, whether you agree or not, it becomes boring. For me, the constant back and forth is an issue of not actually dealing with the issues and allowing people to move on, as I mentioned in my previous post.

I personally just don’t understand the mindset. If you’ve got nothing to hide, be forthcoming, if not, don’t be surprised people wont move on.

Having had one of my trickier blog ‘relationships’ for want of a better word, turn around to one of my stronger ones, is living proof that through discussion and understanding you can move on.

Anyway, this was about Jib, who still hasn’t seeked to clarify anything, as he never does.

Who does it suit to have this bad feeling on the blog? Ironically, I don’t believe it to be those labelled the whingers.

A little understanding, goes a long way.

All the best.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Another thing on “quality posters” which I didn’t include (I know, a post that long that missed something out?!?!?)…do you not think that many of them got tired of being called out as not being real fans for not having faith, has had anything to do with it?

• 38 jimmysmith // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM

If Mitro gets injured we are ferked, of course. Unless McC surprises us and plays Rivierre, who surprises us further and manages to stick the odd one away in the old onion bag. It took Mitrovic about 3 games to become our most pivotal player, and two games to become my favourite. Tiote is also fundamental to our fortunes. Their presence and continued good form is vital, and neither has an obvious understudy.

• 39 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Jimmy…I am interested to see Rivierre again. Obviously goal scoring is a big part of being a striker, but the rest of his game did seem to be improving.

He would be the most logical understudy for Mitrovich. Hopefully he will be more effective under a better approach too.

• 40 nightfa11 // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Im glad we’re looking at a german market.. Say whatever you want, But german national team is by far the most disciplined one..

If we can get a cb and a dmc with killer passing in january.. And if armstrong has a clause that he can be recalled in case of Injuries.. We’ll be just fine.. I really think next season we can be above tottenham etc..But we must do whatever it takes to keep top players (Mbemba, winaljdum, perez,mitro)..especially perez..

• 41 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Ibiza

Rivere is 5″11 at most he an understudy to Perez.

We need a 6″2 and above striker.

• 42 will die for the toon army // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:13 PM

We might look for a CB wen we already have him in our squad.

CURTIS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

• 43 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Jeff…Christ Almighty are you correcting a foreigner’s English and calling it nvg?

• 44 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Will die…Of the players we have, I imagine Rivierre to be the best option to play the role Mitrovich is playing.

From what I’ve seen of him, his hold up play etc is fairly decent. Maybe just get him some platformed boots.

As for comparing him to Perez, is that solely based on height? I don’t view them as playing a similar role at all, but then I never saw Rivierre play prior to his move to Newcastle, so maybe we’ve just been misusing him.

• 45 AncientC // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Mitrovic has been shockingly good – it is hard to believe he is only 21 years old with the way he dominates seasoned Premier league defenders.

And to think he is one of these Johnny Foreigners that Harry Redknapp seems to believe don’t have the bottle for English football.

• 46 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Ancient C…He’s also one of the players who is still adjusting to a new league and caused our slow start 🙂

• 47 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:23 PM

repost:

bladeuser // Nov 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM

like I have stated numerous times
    Eds posts are repetitive and boring it’s the same old shit every other month the blog is stale as as the same questions come up how many times have we had Doh shall we take this useless donkey back
    ED ask some fresh stuff so people can debate what’s next should we take pardew back will gazza ever go in the jungle
    BORING TRIPE
    ASH OUT
    SMAC OUT
    COLO OUT
    ED OUT

bladeuser,

please dont quit your day job at NASA, with Ed out, there would be no blog, ya muppet…

you talk about repetitive posts, try changing your song and dance, glass windows on houses and all that…

bladeuser OOOOT!!
    toonbotherer OOOOT!!

• 48 Mister Tuff // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Hahahahaha – tremendous comedy blogging this morning -will give me a laugh for the rest of the week. Trouble is it’s the International Break I hope there is more to discuss than the whining and whinging by a certain couple of parties. It’s fine have a couple of laughs but I think the scene has been set. Whingefest awaits.

Ian Toon – “I only fly solo.”
    Whatever you say Wing Commander.

Jib Jibberish – Boohoo if you tell me to leave the blog I’ll report you to Ed. Boohooo.

Pure comedy gold. You cannot make it up. What a couple of tarts – who love to promote their invented faux blog victim status.

• 49 jimmysmith // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Rivierre has pace and strength and intelligent movement. He also runs about. The lack of goals renders that all essentially worthless, but he is potentially ideal to have in the squad because he can lead the line, if needs be, play off the shoulder of a target man and also is comfortable in wide areas. Obviously he needs to score too, but yes, this season, in this side, that does look to get forward in numbers, perhaps he will, when last, so often isolated up top, he couldn’t.

• 50 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Ibiza- You get a mixed varied poster on here just as you do at a football ground. However, amidst the usual toon fans you also get some undoubtedly with mental health and learning difficulties. Some simply the subject of personality disorder all contributing mostly with a love of NUFC. I am sure that this will be a source of some amusement to the less enlightened but it says more about them than anything else.
    The fundamental point is that much of what I think you allude to is in fact merely a self esteem issue. Nobody can walk in others shoes but, with life accomplishments and usually as one matures you are provided with a more stable view of yourself. It’s called self actualising and it’s a means of recognising reality and ones own skills and abilities in an ever changing environment – even on a blog!
    For example, I personally admire Bobbybee not only because he has had to contend with numerous setbacks in his life; but mainly because he is a massive contributor on a football blog. Whilst I don’t feel any such admiration for those playing silly games and trying to implicate others who I perceive as primarily contributing to the blog. I accept that it’s my judgment call me. My real energy goes towards my daily personal accomplishment and working in the real world.

• 51 Ian Toon // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Ibiza- i have a pretty good idea as to whom has a good understanding of football and NUFC. Going to SJP (infrequently these days ) still gets the hairs standing up on the back of the kneck. I get little time off over xmas because priority goes to married(s) etc but I am looking forward to seeing the Villa game – despite being on tv on a Saturday night before xmas. Some things never change.
    Enjoy your week.

• 52 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Ian…I’m not going to comment on Bobby. If he wants to clarifiy anything with me, he can.

All I will say, is that Jib played a part in my problem with Bobby. In fact, during the conversation Jib tried to accuse me of something, which turned out to be what Jib had called me in an earlier discussion.

Anyway, I’m getting off topic.

I haven’t a clue what point you are trying to make. I have to admit, I get lost when you just try and group people together under titles like “less englightened” etc. I imagine you are referring to particular posters.

When you mention self esteem, are you talking about Jib? Yourself? Me?

The issue for me, and I don’t think I’m interpreting incorrectly, is that you think Jib does a jolly good job of putting people in, what you view, as their place. All the while skipping over his many OTT remarks / attacks. This is then justified to you, with the fact you feel others do it too, so it just provides balance / self regulation?

Okay (ish), but my point you appear to miss is that you comment / support Jib, whilst criticising those others for doing what you consider the same thing? A serious lack of consistency. I can only view it the same way you view those others, a blog group.

Think what we could have saved the blog if you had taken up my offer to email me all that time ago.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think there are many who put their real energy in to the blog, above other things. I don’t think you’re alone in that, we all have lives to live too, many of which I am sure will be fulfilling for them.

• 53 Jib // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM

• 54 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Ian…Do you want to clarify the point of that second post too?

Does attending the games give you that understanding of who knows what about NUFC and football in general? If so, and without wanting to appear rude, what does that have to do with what we’re discussing?

I hope you too, have a good week.

• 55 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Rolling with the international break…

Interesting comments, helpful that they come from a Barcelona player.

I thought the last bit to be amusing.

“It’s a debate – we could spend hours on it. If Manchester United or Chelsea go to Spain, then the same. No chance to win the league.”

Gerard, Man U haven’t been contenders for the PL title since Ferguson left and as for Chelsea…ha ha, good one.

• 56 rowly // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Im slightly worried about being linked with promising championship centre backs. I dont know anything about any of them so i am not saying they arent good enough but we signed lascelles who was the most promising one and he cant seem to get into the team. Maybe hes better than we think and they have been encouraged by that piece of business and if thats the case he should be starting next to mbemba. If he isnt good enough we should be definitely looking for a proven centre back from a good level in europe.

• 57 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:32 PM

@rowly

Any time I have watched Lascalles he has looked solid he will probably get game time very soon because the christmas period will have injuries and suspensions

• 58 rowly // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:32 PM

In reference to my past point, look how good williamson looks in the championship

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:41 PM

rowly,
    I get your point, but on the flip side, Stones was playing in the Championship when Everton picked him up for c.£3million. Gomez, the lad who started the season well for Liverpool before picking up an injury is another.

There will be others down there and available, but it is up to the scouting team to identify the right ones, not just any half decent young defender. I don’t see us going after the young lad from Sheff Wed, but we might go after others, and I’d be fairly comfortable with the club bringing Byram in.

• 60 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Rowly…I’d be really surprised to see another top CB arrive whilst Colo still appears to be favoured. If it had been a one year extension, I’d think differently, but I just can’t see the club having, what they consider, 3 top CB’s fighting for a place.

It’ll likely be a ‘top prospect’ from the championship….unless a super deal is to be had somewhere of course.

• 61 Reyantoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Sorry to spoil the party but I haven’t been impressed by Lascelles from what I saw of him in his two cameo sub appearances.Looks typical championship defender,suitable for lower league teams.Hope I’m wrong but he doesn’t look promising 🙁

• 62 SPRINGY // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:47 PM

afternoon all,
    Ibiza hows the weather… hope its better then here!
    not exactly sure whats goin on seems quite a bit of hostility on the blog today…had a quick look thru some of the comments about players…..rivierre… willing to give him more time,he works hard and may get a few more goals if the team plays better as they seem to be tryin to do….not where the cb’s come from as long as they are decent quality….not just a star name of a side or league….chancel for example…Belgium league is not noted as one of the better leagues but he looks a very good player so far….up front I like the look of perez and mitro…they lack a little pace(both)and can be a little weak(perez) but are technically good and smart players that will learn to play as a unit similar ages will help this but could use a vardy/bellamy type of player to change things if plan A isn’t working….but to get the best out all these players a cm who can see a pass,a run,a space which we lack at the minute….someone mentioned playing de jong as cm on here the other day that might be worth looking at alongside a FIT tiote or at least till the transfer window opens…thoughts?

• 63 optimistic prime // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:48 PM

I’ve been thinking about the January window and what we might need, or what would be the best positions to buy in.

The CB issue has been going on for years now and Collocinis ban being overturned screwed seeing another partnership tried out. We do need Colo out of the team and I’ve been wondering if one of Lascalles Goode DUMMET could be the answer.

It would be much easier if Saylor played more than a 3rd of the games I don’t think we’d be in to poor a state. However we are stuck with Colo in the team and I can’t see Schteeve dropping his captain.

So I don’t see us buying a CB, which brings me to CM which I beleive we are desperate for. Anita is the best midfielder of a limited bunch we need major improvement there.
    We need a PROPER central midfielder, 2 would be better, a midfielder who tackles passes gets foward and back.
    The complete player like they used to be, not a DM or AM a proper midfielder who does it all.

Someone who bosses the midfield!

I’d like a foward but not desperately, we ain’t going to score or defend any better until we control the midfield. We need 2 CM who can spot runs make the passes and make the tackles. Anything else ATM is pointless IMO

• 64 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Springy…Good catch up.

Weather is splendid (sorry). Although I’m due to leave soon, so will get a bit of your wonderful weather too…

Wouldn’t worry yourself with the hostilities.

I agree with you on Rivierre. Not expcting wonders, but feel he could prove useful enough and deserves the chance.

On CB’s, again, agreed. Where they’re from, or what league, or even how much they cost aren’t the defining factors.

On strikers, I have a bit of a conundrum! I really like both Mitrovich and Perez and wouldn’t want either to be dropped. I do however think we’re seriously lacking experince in this area, or to be more exact, we’re lacking goals from a natural goal scorer (to date).

My hope is that, Mitrovich in particular, will pick up in this department. Hopefully soon.

I was just reading an article on SS.

Having a decent goal scoring ST saved Pardews Newcaslte on many occassions. We could certainly use that type of player during our transition and whilst our prospects are fulfulling their potential.

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:57 PM

OP,
    Yeah, I agree at least one top centre mid has to come in, and the earlier the better. I’d like a centre back who can organise the back line as well. They would be my two priority positions, but as many have said, what are the chances of spending big on a centre half only to have one of our highest earners (and captain) sat on the bench.

I want to see us use a 433, with Thauvin/Aarons/Perez either side of Mitro. Rivi would fit far better into a system like that as well. I think if were to use Thauvin and Aarons as forwards rather than wide midfielders then we lessen the need for a centre forward immediately. Although it would require Aarons to stay fit at some point. I guess Roberts, Gilliead and Arma could all potentially fill in if we picked up injuries to the wide forwards, although the loss of Mitro would be a massive blow.

Sadly, a centre mid seems to be the only thing we aren’t linked with at the moment from the rumours I have seen.

• 66 SPRINGY // Nov 11, 2015 at 2:59 PM

O.P
    I don’t think we could afford the 1 complete player u rightly say we need let alone 2 but I can see what ya mean….but I think cb is a must…if they are not even goin to try dummet,lascelle,good or taylor….I would like mbabu or lascelle to be looked at for cb tbh…the others are unfortunately very injury prone so cant be relied on….yes the may cost a few goals but cant be any worse then the amount of goals we are conceding now…can it?

• 67 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:00 PM

OP…I think you’ve managed to say what I’ve been thinking with regards to the CM position.

We have too many specialist / limited (depending on your viewpoint) CM’s. A decent all rounder would be beneficial for sure.

You’ll see my comments on CB’s and strikers, no point repeating them…unless you want me to of course? 🙂

• 68 Munster Mag // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Ancient C , good point at 45. Only britsh , irish etc have bottle, or did you not know that. Thats why we all win or do well in so many tournamenets 🙂 . Harry is a tool of the highest order.

• 69 barkel // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Lilongwe-

I think a 433(4-1-2-2-1) could suit us, I would play like this:
    ———————-Elliot———————
    Jan —– Mbemba —— Colo —— Haidara
    ——————— Tiote ———————-
    ——–Sissoko ———— Gini ————–
    ———–Thauvin ——- Perez ————-
    ——————– Mitro ———————

It would be very narrow but I don’t think we have wingers to play wide

• 70 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:32 PM

barkel,
    Sort of what I’m going for, although I’d prefer Colback or Anita ahead of Sissoko as we need both full backs providing width so it is crucial that we have players in midfield capable of covering their runs forward. Sissoko definitely doesn’t do that, and from what we have seen so far Wijnaldum doesn’t either. So one would have to miss out from those 2 and Wijnaldum has better end product and better all round game then Sissoko.

• 71 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:37 PM

barkel,
    Ideally we sign a new complete midfielder to slot in with Tiote and Gini.

• 72 barkel // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:37 PM

That’s a fair point although my thinking is I wouldn’t let Tiote out of our own half, have him cover both sides. I wouldn’t want both our fullbacks attacking at the same time, I would think we have enough in the front 5 to really attack a game.

• 73 BandB // Nov 11, 2015 at 3:39 PM

If we have 22+ points by New Year and the injuries situation isn’t looking too bad I don’t think we’ll buy anyone.
    For that to happen MClaren will have had a decent two months, and they will figure he can’t possibly go on a losing streak like Carver.
    God knows they have told us often enough they don’t like doing business in January unless the right deal becomes available.
    Mbemba has done well and Colocinni is captain and first name on the team sheet. We have three spares, and you only need one.
    Colback is the heart of the midfield – a firm favourite with club and fans and very reasonably priced.
    We might sign if the right deal comes along for Tiote, Cisee or Sissoko.
    Tenth was never stated as a definite target for this season, and the fans will see progress in a safe 16th without too many frights.

• 74 rowly // Nov 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I agree with the calls for a centre midfielder. Unless sissoko and wijnaldum can prove that they can play well in that position (which they should considering it’s their natural position) it looks very weak. Anita and tiote couldn’t pick a pass against Bournemouth and whilst colback is better than both even he can’t pick a forward pass. We need a playmaker in there exactly in the mould of cabaye who can dictate play with his passing and turn defence into attack. Despite the frustrations around sissoko my opinion is that he is the only player we have currently who puts us on the front foot from a defensive position through his forward running with the ball.

• 75 wynsleap // Nov 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM

The spine of a football team is vital to its success.
    At present we have Colo at the back whose better days are far behind him, Mitrovich up front who is struggling to get goals regularly and three dodos, Tiote, Colback and Anita in central/defensive midfield who wouldn’t make a good central defender if you put them all together in one body. No spine – no success!
    Mitrovich, I think (or hope) will come good but Colo needs replacing now and a TOP midfield enforcer AND creator is vital if we are going to see any kind of success on the park.

• 76 Ravostag // Nov 11, 2015 at 6:54 PM

A major problem with our model (Carr as Chief Scout or whatever buying players on behalf of a Coach who does or does not want these players) is the style of play that the Coach wishes to play. If we want to lump it forward then we need a big target man , if we play .through midfield then we need clever midfield ers, if we want wingers we need the type of player that tracks back. My point is does Carr determine the style of play we adopt as he is the hirer and firer and the Coach must adopt a style of play that is reflected in the personnel we have. So Carr must be as accountable as McClaren for the poor results.

previous post: Do You Want Newcastle To Sign Andy Carroll For £20M?

next post: Newcastle Again Linked With Former Top England Defender