The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Paul Simpson Reveals Newcastle’s Transfer Process

4:23 pm, Friday, November 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 63 Comments

Paul Simpson has been interviewed on BBC Newcastle’s Total Sport and at one point he went into some detail as to how the Newcastle United transfer dealings are handled – with Graham Carr the one who scouts various players all over the place including in Europe and in Britain.

Paul has talked about the responsibilities each of the Board members at Newcastle have in that process – except for Bob Moncur – who is never mentioned.

We’re not sure of Bob’s role on the Newcastle Board other than he’s an Ambassador of the club and his presence continues to remind us that we haven’t won anything since Bob was the captain back in 1969 when we won the Inter-City Fairs Cup (now the Europa League).

graham carr

Graham Carr – Newcastle Chief Scout

This is how Paul Simpson explained Newcastle’s recruitment process:

“Basically we have a recruitment department which is headed up by Graham Carr.” “He has a group of scouts who are all over the place – they’re in Europe, they’re in England watching games, in Scotland.”

“They try to cover as many games as possible, identify players who we think will improve our squad, improve our team, and then they sit down with a list of names and go through. And Steve obviously has an input into it.”

“I don’t physically get involved in the watching of clips and whether the player’s the right man, but obviously we’re asked an opinion of him, and it all goes from there.”

“The way football is now, the head coach doesn’t get involved in the actual transfer dealings, that’s all done by Lee Charnley and I think Graham’s involved in that as well.”

“I’ve got to be honest with you though, I’m guessing a little bit because it’s not part of my remit to get involved in that.”

“But I like to see good players coming in and I look forward to seeing that again in January.”

That’s basically how we thought it was working, but the only thing we would want to know more about is exactly how the players are identified as the real transfer targets.

And how much say does Steve McClaren have in that –  as contrasted to say Graham Carr – because the rumor for some time has been that Graham really has control on who the Newcastle targets are.

Lee Charnley does go out and try to get the players and he’s been good at that for many years at Newcastle,  but what he doesn’t do at Newcastle is much influence on which players is brought in.

In that sense Lee’s a Managing Director who isn’t a football man.

That would be what a Director of Football would be able to do if we had a good one – like instance former striker Les Ferdinand – as one example.

Alan Pardew left Newcastle just less than a year ago and one of the reasons he left was to have more control on who he brings into Crystal Palace – which suggests he didn’t have that level of control at Newcastle.

We hope to have a very good transfer window this January and there are some good players out there we can bring in – as long as we are prepared to pay the money for them.

Here’s hoping.

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

63 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 4:26 PM

All he’s really revealed is that he’s in a similar boat to the fans.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 4:29 PM

“We all want the same thing, don’t we? Regardless of what the perception is of Mike Ashley, he is desperate for success with Newcastle United and I’m sure he’ll invest again.”
    For someone desperate for success he’s tried his very best to avoid it over the last eight years.

• 3 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Jail…I too am struggling with the word “desperate”.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Ibiza,
    I just can’t see how a mind-set that actually carried out research to prove that winning cups was detrimental to our league status can all of a sudden be desperate for success, we are successful in his eyes by staying in the division.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Ibiza,
    It also you makes you wonder what people are all about when we have ‘jane’ saying that we could be on course for 14th with 43 points and getting all misty eyed about it, is that for real ?

• 6 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Jail…I missed that comment, but have seen others like it.

Taking a step back, I can see the argument for it being a step in the right direction, taking in to consideration where we were. That’s fairly obvious I suppose.

As for being misty eyed, or getting to to the stage of being thankful? Seems a step too far, for me anyway, at this stage.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Jail…I also missed your original post to me!

For me, as I have said once or twice before, it’s why we are where we are. What is said doesn’t tie in with reality of either what has gone on before, or where we are now.

Some realism and then acceptance, would go along way with regards to re-building faith.

• 8 BandB // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Bishers…

If you are reading old beanbag.

The purpose of good PR is to convince people to change their opinions in a positive way.

I think what you are presumably charging Ashley a fortune for is to make people believe what they already believe slightly more strongly.

Among those people is another sizeable chunk who will have made THIS season the one where they have given the club one last chance to give them a straight answer and deliver.

So they better had, hadn’t they?

• 9 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM

BandB…Bishers to his mates, is it?

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:11 PM

I wonder what Bishers and Churners think of old Monkers

• 11 BandB // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:13 PM

He’s a man of steel, Jail.

• 12 cyprus // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Sorry to bust into this cosy room amigos 🙂

I think it wasn’t exactly about not wanting cups. It was more about prioritising which is most important: a cup or PL. The answer was PL. I agree.

Like I said before, this MA character is a mystery to me, but I’d be surprised if he said to his minnows, “I want bottom club mediocrity, you hear me? Just make sure we don’t go down so that I keep collecting those millions. God knows, I need the money”.

• 13 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Cyprus…There’s plenty of room, grab a cushion and a cocktail. Make yourself comfortable.

On the prioritising of cups, I’d sensibly choose PL too, although the way it was handled and worded was ridiculous.

As for Ashley and what he wants / has targetted, it is clear from the investments patterns is that he wasn’t prepared to invest (gamble) on success, but only when we were in dire need.

I think the dots join themselves on that one really.

• 14 Mister Tuff // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Well what a shock I’ve had today re the comments by Paul Simpson (previous thread) about Wally going to Mr Tubbs
    extract :-
    ““We’ve had a good chance to look at the squad so far, we know there are areas to improve but the one thing I would say is that so far the owner has backed us fantastically well.”

“And I’m sure if Steve goes to him in January and recognizes areas that we need to strengthen again, I’d be very surprised if Ashley doesn’t back us again.”

And here is me thinking that Mr Tubbs has nothing to do with the running of the club anymore.
    Well that fairy tale has well and truly been exposed as a myth.

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Maybe they should have interview McClaren and not Simpson about our recruitment process?

…just a thought 😉 especially with Simpson just guessing!

• 16 BandB // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM

cyprus

Ashley has said what he wants Cyprus.
    He wants us to punch above our weight pound for pound.
    He didn’t mention what he considers “our weight” to be, but we seem to have been on a diet in recent years, weight category wise.
    Didn’t Colocinni mention the teams in considered in our current weight category a month or two ago?

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Cyprus,
    Do you think he said to the people who make his adverts ‘I want the cheapest, tattiest advert that you can come up with because that’s all you need to sell shyte” I doubt it, but they managed to do it !

• 18 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Tuff…Good point.

I’d also like to understand why if they “know there are areas to improve” why it’s a question of “if Steve goes to him in January and recognizes areas that we need to strengthen”? If? Which is it?

• 19 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Jesper…Good idea. Perhaps Steve could then revert us back to Pauls interview on the same subject?

Eventually an answer has to be forthcoming. My guess is on February 1st.

• 20 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Ibiza…I think you have set a perfectly good date there mate 😉

…but remember if anything should go wrong we know they will just say a review has been done, mistakes were made, but the important thing is to move on.

• 21 BandB // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Tuff

That is a very good point.
    Why should he go to Ashley?
    Mike has stepped right back, and all the final decisions about how the club spends its money lie with Charnley.

• 22 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Jesper…By then they may well have shortened it to something as simple as “Move on”.

I’m sure they have more important things to do than explain themselves. Plus, if you don’t trust them, you have to ask what sort of a fan you are and why you bother supporting NUFC at all…something like that anyway.

All I’ll be saying come February is that I can’t wait for the next window. Moving on and looking ahead.

• 23 the white tino // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Does anyone on here think that by the time we play the mackems at home we could actually relegate them? I think it’s very possible ?

• 24 Ibizatoon // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Tino…I struggle to imagine a scenario where we’ll be taking points off the mackems. If anything, I see it as more likely we’ll give them the points they need to survive.

Mind, we haven’t seen the positive play turn in to positive results yet and that’s just around the corner.

• 25 Mister Tuff // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Ibiza/BandB.

I think (time dat now) that perhaps Wally are Simpson are more latently honest types who do not subscribe to any form of dishonest rhetoric from the club. As such -they do not need to remember lies but just spout an honest version of what they perceive. Which of course is a danger when folk like that are interviewed – they inadvertently let the cat out of the bag.

Makes you wonder why, if correct, they have gone out of their way to push the new board down our throats along with Mr Tubbs having nothing to do with the running of the club. Has it got anything to do with the current situation with Rangers and Mr Tubbs ownership/involvement with two clubs -I don’t know. Or has it got to do with their perception of appeasing the fan base by suggesting Mr Tubbs non involvement and throw in Judas Moncur to give an element of “local” input.
    Cannot now see why reporters don’t chase this up a bit -obviously not to reveal targets but the process in more detail.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:58 PM

I think we should review the Ashley plan for football success:
    1. Hire a famous player/manager from the club’s past, then sack him after lying to him about how the club will be run.
    2. Hire a deeply disturbed idiot to manage and then oversea the club. Let him rant to the press and do little else, then sack him.
    3. Hire a man who knows even less than Ashley about football (I think his name was Llambeezee?), watch him build an extremely poor side, then sack him.
    4. Hire a mediocre manager who loved to hear his own voice then watch him leave in disgust when not backed in the transfer windows.
    5. Hire an executive who has been with the club for many years in meaningless positions and who no other club would want and put him in charge of incoming, outgoing etc. then watch the club bounce around the bottom of the Prem.
    Now, honestly mates how can you be unhappy with that record? Harrumph.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Hopefully Collocini will be bouncing up and down on the decaying concrete steps of the Estadio Pedro Bidegain whilst feigning a back injury the next time we play the mackems !

• 28 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Oversea the club? I’m hilarious with my spelling. 😆

• 29 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Ladies and gentlemen can we please have some respect for Mr. Tubbs on here? Well, can we? I mean this man, this hairy old goat, has done so much for us. Look at the silverware. Look at the tremendous cup runs. Look at the brilliant executives we’ve hired. Now just show some respect for the fat prick! Harrumph!

• 30 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM

I just don’t understand you lot sometimes. We’re obviously on the highway to success. Win after win. Cup after cup. Great teams where the best players are never sold. Brilliant windows to make us even stronger. Top CB’s brought in constantly. I mean how is fatty supposed to make you people happy?

• 31 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Is everyone clear on how we’ve been so successful under Ashley now? Well I certainly hope so. The Five Steps for Ultimate Football Success are world famous now. Every football club executive follows them.

• 32 BandB // Nov 13, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Tuff,

I’ll leave you a note when I’ve finished my date with Igglepiggle.

• 33 Jib // Nov 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Munster has been missing for days .
    Has McClaren upset him by not allowing Elliot to join the Irish squad tonight against the Bosnians ?

• 34 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM

I’ll post a few pictures after meeting Macmillan

• 35 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:18 PM

• 36 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:19 PM

• 37 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:19 PM

• 38 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:20 PM

• 39 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:20 PM

• 40 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM

That’s it folks.

The guy from Macmillan said he’s never heard a story like my lads before and couldn’t believe what he’d done.

Thanks for your support ladies and gents, means an awful lot.

• 41 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:31 PM

AC…congrats to tour lad mate 🙂

…are you Liverpool based?

• 42 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:41 PM

*tour = your

• 43 Average_Contents // Nov 13, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Yeah I am mate,South Liverpool.

Just taking my lad to frankie and bennys as a treat (with the rest of the family of course)

• 44 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 13, 2015 at 8:26 PM

again,

brilliant on him, and well doen for raising such a son with such a big heart..

you oughta be extremely proud AC

• 45 Our Toon // Nov 13, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Tuff

I said before the season started that only an idiot would believe Ashley has stepped back. Excellent point you made though and not one that many will pick up on.

The other thing I said was that Anita is pants can’t remember who I said we will revisit after 10 games but unfortunately I was right on that!! We need to get points on the board though

• 46 Hail Wor Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM

There’s that LB come LW scoring for Ireland tonight, ya’ know the one with great delivery that most turned there noses up at when thinking over prospective transfers, of course those same people blew a load over Thauvin because he’s a foreigner and cost £5m more.

• 47 BandB // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Tuff/ Our Toon

I suppose it will be overlooked on the blog (I suspect fair few people only read their own posts and responses to them.)
    A few will argue that he said he was only guessing, though it begs the question why was sent out to make sweet mood music if he didn’t know a basic “fact” about Ashley having effectively “left” the club. If that is the excuse, then you have to dismiss the rest of his mood music as uninformed speculation too.
    After all, the line that Ashley has handed over all the big decisions to Charnley and Carr was pretty much swallowed whole and is still stated as an undisputed truth.

Tuff, I think the move was a response to the Ashley Out protests. They were the first directed at him in person for the first time several years, and he responded publicly, as he did when it first happened. He said “okay…I’m out…and took himself out of the firing line and passed the buck to Charnley.
    I think you are right…..Simpson is a straightforward bloke who just spoke the truth as he knows it to be, and spilled the beans because he forgot the party line in the heat of the moment.

• 48 Our Toon // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:03 PM

Hail wor Ash

You mean Brady bunch, remind us all how many goals he’s got for his club team and how many assists he has?

Robbie Keane has a better record than Pele at international football doesn’t mean he’s better than him.

As for the foreigner comment, I see those commuted whole hearted Englishman put in another great performance tonight, schooled by those pesky foreigners damn Spanish. But hey British players apparently have more heart, more fight!!

• 49 Our Toon // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:05 PM

BandB

I said at the time it was bollocks, he just wanted to tske himself out of the firing line. In what world would a billionaire allow a teaboy to takeover all important decisions in a multi million pound business? We truly are crackers for even contemplating this could happen!!

• 50 BandB // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Our Toon,

It won’t change now. Folks was to believe Ashley is trying to take us in the right direction because the alternatives and too repugnant to think about.
    Like that Preston has indeed fed the club into the big Sports Direct mashing machine that will first shear it, and then can it as dog meat when the shearing is done.

• 51 Hail Wor Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM

It’s commonly accepted that Brady is one of the best crossers in the PL, he has 1 goal, 1 assist and 3 MOTM awards in his Norwich career so far, all coming in the PL, playing from LB for the majority of those games, he’s also dangerous from set-pieces having hit the woodwork on a few occasions already. Quicker than Dummet, smarter than Haidara and Dummet, better positionally than both and never found wanting for graft. A step up from both. Foreign players I have nothing against, in fact I love many of them, Nobby Solano is my favourite player ever for The Toon! What I don’t like is idiots preferring obviously crap foreigners just because of video games, hype and a fancy sounding names, all dressed up as something more substantial.

£7m for Brady
    £12m for Thauvin

Brady had few making the case for him, whereas Thauvin had many, probably the majority on here whipping themselves up in to hysteria and telling all how he’s gonna do great.

• 52 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Excellent pictures AC. Your son looks a fine lad.

• 53 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM

It must surely be nonsense that Ashley is out of the picture as far as the club is concerned. All money matters will ultimately end up with Mike making the call. BandB, AC, Mr. Tuff and others have it spot on. Another made up fantasy from Ashley. What a surprise.

• 54 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:27 PM

And don’t forget the Five Steps to Ultimate Football Success. Ashley has them tattooed on his armpits.

• 55 firebug666 // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:38 PM

AC

Fantastic work by the little lad and his proud parents, he deserves every credit, bless him.

His story is unique, and not many youngsters will follow in his footsteps.

With a heart so big that it encompasses that little Welsh mountain, one can only marvel at the strength in those little legs.

Well done mate, he is a credit to you.

• 56 SUTTY1978 // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Hail, that’s the positionally great Brady who was torn a fresh one by Sissoko who assisted four goals while playing in direct opposition to him?
    Perhaps you’re Irish and have a bit of a man crush on him but he’s a shite defender.

• 57 Mister Tuff // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:47 PM

BandB you may be right about the Ashley out protest being the reason why they revealed Mr Tubbs was taking a back seat.
    The effect of all this re-enforces scepticism amongst fans/observers and has the effect of making one question club statements, love letter emails etc etc.- and again pose the question -have they really changed.
    Bearing in mind they refused to divulge what the mistakes were that they said they had made. If we knew -we might be able to gauge the veracity of what they say now.

• 58 SUTTY1978 // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:48 PM

By the way i also said Thauvin was shite before we signed him, much to the amusement of JIB and others who thought he was going to be the dogs bollocks

• 59 Our Toon // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Hail Wor Ashley

If you are going to rave about a player make sure you fully understand what position he plays in. He has never played 1 minute as a LB for Norwich, he’s mainly be used as a number 10 behind a forward, especially recently since he ousted hoolahan. Brady has also played on the wing, same as when he was at Hull. You may have seen him in the LB position this evening for Rep Ireland but that’s only because they were getting roasted down that side.

Btw he may have scored but he also let the RB cross the ball which resulted in the equaliser!!

• 60 Hail Wor Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:51 PM

SUTTY1978

Unless you can show me the goals and pinpoint where Brady went wrong, I’ll have to put your assessment of his performance against us and his liability for the goals down to nothing but unfounded nonsense.

• 61 Hail Wor Ashley // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Our Toon

He’s played the majority of the matches for Norwich at LB and also played there for Hull every game since he came back from injury in Jan, getting several MOTMs in the process, despite them going down due to a shower of a strikeforce. Please don’t make things up.

• 62 Our Toon // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:55 PM

I will say Thauvin has looked pants, he’s still very young though whereas Brady bunch is late 20s. Thauvin may not make it here or he may, time will tell. I’m not writing him off completely after less than 10 games seeing as he’s featured in a small amount.

Some players will take time to adjust to the league and it’s even harder when you aren’t playing, will he be successful or not I’m not sure but is he better than Brady bunch… yes from the little I’ve seen I think he is and has time to get better.

Brady bunch wasn’t even the best crosser of the ball at Hull, I think elmo is a better crosser than him!! He’s foreign though!!

• 63 Our Toon // Nov 13, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Hail wor Ashley

Well that’s where you are talking utter turd. The LB for Norwich is Martin Olsen formerly of Blackburn Rovers!!

previous post: Ashley Desperate For Newcastle Success – He’ll Invest In January