Paul Simpson Reveals Newcastle’s Transfer Process

Paul Simpson has been interviewed on BBC Newcastle’s Total Sport and at one point he went into some detail as to how the Newcastle United transfer dealings are handled – with Graham Carr the one who scouts various players all over the place including in Europe and in Britain.

Paul has talked about the responsibilities each of the Board members at Newcastle have in that process – except for Bob Moncur – who is never mentioned.

We’re not sure of Bob’s role on the Newcastle Board other than he’s an Ambassador of the club and his presence continues to remind us that we haven’t won anything since Bob was the captain back in 1969 when we won the Inter-City Fairs Cup (now the Europa League).

graham carr

Graham Carr – Newcastle Chief Scout

This is how Paul Simpson explained Newcastle’s recruitment process:

“Basically we have a recruitment department which is headed up by Graham Carr.” “He has a group of scouts who are all over the place – they’re in Europe, they’re in England watching games, in Scotland.”

“They try to cover as many games as possible, identify players who we think will improve our squad, improve our team, and then they sit down with a list of names and go through. And Steve obviously has an input into it.”

“I don’t physically get involved in the watching of clips and whether the player’s the right man, but obviously we’re asked an opinion of him, and it all goes from there.”

“The way football is now, the head coach doesn’t get involved in the actual transfer dealings, that’s all done by Lee Charnley and I think Graham’s involved in that as well.”

“I’ve got to be honest with you though, I’m guessing a little bit because it’s not part of my remit to get involved in that.”

“But I like to see good players coming in and I look forward to seeing that again in January.”

That’s basically how we thought it was working, but the only thing we would want to know more about is exactly how the players are identified as the real transfer targets.

And how much say does Steve McClaren have in that –  as contrasted to say Graham Carr – because the rumor for some time has been that Graham really has control on who the Newcastle targets are.

Lee Charnley does go out and try to get the players and he’s been good at that for many years at Newcastle,  but what he doesn’t do at Newcastle is much influence on which players is brought in.

In that sense Lee’s a Managing Director who isn’t a football man.

That would be what a Director of Football would be able to do if we had a good one – like instance former striker Les Ferdinand – as one example.

Alan Pardew left Newcastle just less than a year ago and one of the reasons he left was to have more control on who he brings into Crystal Palace – which suggests he didn’t have that level of control at Newcastle.

We hope to have a very good transfer window this January and there are some good players out there we can bring in – as long as we are prepared to pay the money for them.

Here’s hoping.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:26 PM

All he’s really revealed is that he’s in a similar boat to the fans.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:29 PM

“We all want the same thing, don’t we? Regardless of what the perception is of Mike Ashley, he is desperate for success with Newcastle United and I’m sure he’ll invest again.”
    For someone desperate for success he’s tried his very best to avoid it over the last eight years.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Jail…I too am struggling with the word “desperate”.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Ibiza,
    I just can’t see how a mind-set that actually carried out research to prove that winning cups was detrimental to our league status can all of a sudden be desperate for success, we are successful in his eyes by staying in the division.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Ibiza,
    It also you makes you wonder what people are all about when we have ‘jane’ saying that we could be on course for 14th with 43 points and getting all misty eyed about it, is that for real ?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Jail…I missed that comment, but have seen others like it.

Taking a step back, I can see the argument for it being a step in the right direction, taking in to consideration where we were. That’s fairly obvious I suppose.

As for being misty eyed, or getting to to the stage of being thankful? Seems a step too far, for me anyway, at this stage.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Jail…I also missed your original post to me!

For me, as I have said once or twice before, it’s why we are where we are. What is said doesn’t tie in with reality of either what has gone on before, or where we are now.

Some realism and then acceptance, would go along way with regards to re-building faith.

• BandB

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Bishers…

If you are reading old beanbag.

The purpose of good PR is to convince people to change their opinions in a positive way.

I think what you are presumably charging Ashley a fortune for is to make people believe what they already believe slightly more strongly.

Among those people is another sizeable chunk who will have made THIS season the one where they have given the club one last chance to give them a straight answer and deliver.

So they better had, hadn’t they?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM

BandB…Bishers to his mates, is it?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:11 PM

I wonder what Bishers and Churners think of old Monkers

• BandB

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:13 PM

He’s a man of steel, Jail.

• cyprus

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Sorry to bust into this cosy room amigos 🙂

I think it wasn’t exactly about not wanting cups. It was more about prioritising which is most important: a cup or PL. The answer was PL. I agree.

Like I said before, this MA character is a mystery to me, but I’d be surprised if he said to his minnows, “I want bottom club mediocrity, you hear me? Just make sure we don’t go down so that I keep collecting those millions. God knows, I need the money”.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Cyprus…There’s plenty of room, grab a cushion and a cocktail. Make yourself comfortable.

On the prioritising of cups, I’d sensibly choose PL too, although the way it was handled and worded was ridiculous.

As for Ashley and what he wants / has targetted, it is clear from the investments patterns is that he wasn’t prepared to invest (gamble) on success, but only when we were in dire need.

I think the dots join themselves on that one really.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Well what a shock I’ve had today re the comments by Paul Simpson (previous thread) about Wally going to Mr Tubbs
    extract :-
    ““We’ve had a good chance to look at the squad so far, we know there are areas to improve but the one thing I would say is that so far the owner has backed us fantastically well.”

“And I’m sure if Steve goes to him in January and recognizes areas that we need to strengthen again, I’d be very surprised if Ashley doesn’t back us again.”

And here is me thinking that Mr Tubbs has nothing to do with the running of the club anymore.
    Well that fairy tale has well and truly been exposed as a myth.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Maybe they should have interview McClaren and not Simpson about our recruitment process?

…just a thought 😉 especially with Simpson just guessing!

• BandB

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM

cyprus

Ashley has said what he wants Cyprus.
    He wants us to punch above our weight pound for pound.
    He didn’t mention what he considers “our weight” to be, but we seem to have been on a diet in recent years, weight category wise.
    Didn’t Colocinni mention the teams in considered in our current weight category a month or two ago?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Cyprus,
    Do you think he said to the people who make his adverts ‘I want the cheapest, tattiest advert that you can come up with because that’s all you need to sell shyte” I doubt it, but they managed to do it !

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Tuff…Good point.

I’d also like to understand why if they “know there are areas to improve” why it’s a question of “if Steve goes to him in January and recognizes areas that we need to strengthen”? If? Which is it?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Jesper…Good idea. Perhaps Steve could then revert us back to Pauls interview on the same subject?

Eventually an answer has to be forthcoming. My guess is on February 1st.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Ibiza…I think you have set a perfectly good date there mate 😉

…but remember if anything should go wrong we know they will just say a review has been done, mistakes were made, but the important thing is to move on.

• BandB

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Tuff

That is a very good point.
    Why should he go to Ashley?
    Mike has stepped right back, and all the final decisions about how the club spends its money lie with Charnley.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Jesper…By then they may well have shortened it to something as simple as “Move on”.

I’m sure they have more important things to do than explain themselves. Plus, if you don’t trust them, you have to ask what sort of a fan you are and why you bother supporting NUFC at all…something like that anyway.

All I’ll be saying come February is that I can’t wait for the next window. Moving on and looking ahead.

• the white tino

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Does anyone on here think that by the time we play the mackems at home we could actually relegate them? I think it’s very possible ?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Tino…I struggle to imagine a scenario where we’ll be taking points off the mackems. If anything, I see it as more likely we’ll give them the points they need to survive.

Mind, we haven’t seen the positive play turn in to positive results yet and that’s just around the corner.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Ibiza/BandB.

I think (time dat now) that perhaps Wally are Simpson are more latently honest types who do not subscribe to any form of dishonest rhetoric from the club. As such -they do not need to remember lies but just spout an honest version of what they perceive. Which of course is a danger when folk like that are interviewed – they inadvertently let the cat out of the bag.

Makes you wonder why, if correct, they have gone out of their way to push the new board down our throats along with Mr Tubbs having nothing to do with the running of the club. Has it got anything to do with the current situation with Rangers and Mr Tubbs ownership/involvement with two clubs -I don’t know. Or has it got to do with their perception of appeasing the fan base by suggesting Mr Tubbs non involvement and throw in Judas Moncur to give an element of “local” input.
    Cannot now see why reporters don’t chase this up a bit -obviously not to reveal targets but the process in more detail.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:58 PM

I think we should review the Ashley plan for football success:
    1. Hire a famous player/manager from the club’s past, then sack him after lying to him about how the club will be run.
    2. Hire a deeply disturbed idiot to manage and then oversea the club. Let him rant to the press and do little else, then sack him.
    3. Hire a man who knows even less than Ashley about football (I think his name was Llambeezee?), watch him build an extremely poor side, then sack him.
    4. Hire a mediocre manager who loved to hear his own voice then watch him leave in disgust when not backed in the transfer windows.
    5. Hire an executive who has been with the club for many years in meaningless positions and who no other club would want and put him in charge of incoming, outgoing etc. then watch the club bounce around the bottom of the Prem.
    Now, honestly mates how can you be unhappy with that record? Harrumph.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Hopefully Collocini will be bouncing up and down on the decaying concrete steps of the Estadio Pedro Bidegain whilst feigning a back injury the next time we play the mackems !

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Oversea the club? I’m hilarious with my spelling. 😆

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Ladies and gentlemen can we please have some respect for Mr. Tubbs on here? Well, can we? I mean this man, this hairy old goat, has done so much for us. Look at the silverware. Look at the tremendous cup runs. Look at the brilliant executives we’ve hired. Now just show some respect for the fat prick! Harrumph!

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM

I just don’t understand you lot sometimes. We’re obviously on the highway to success. Win after win. Cup after cup. Great teams where the best players are never sold. Brilliant windows to make us even stronger. Top CB’s brought in constantly. I mean how is fatty supposed to make you people happy?

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Is everyone clear on how we’ve been so successful under Ashley now? Well I certainly hope so. The Five Steps for Ultimate Football Success are world famous now. Every football club executive follows them.

• BandB

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Tuff,

I’ll leave you a note when I’ve finished my date with Igglepiggle.

• Jib

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Munster has been missing for days .
    Has McClaren upset him by not allowing Elliot to join the Irish squad tonight against the Bosnians ?

• Average_Contents

Nov 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM

I’ll post a few pictures after meeting Macmillan

• Average_Contents

Nov 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM

That’s it folks.

The guy from Macmillan said he’s never heard a story like my lads before and couldn’t believe what he’d done.

Thanks for your support ladies and gents, means an awful lot.