The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Top Players Start To Express Their Concerns

3:10 pm, Monday, November 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Georgino Wijnaldum turned 25 only five days ago on Remembrance day and he has given an interview in the Dutch outlet De Telegraaf where he was asked about his reaction to the Paris terror attacks on Friday night that have killed 129 people.

Gini has a young daughter and he has talked in De Telegraaf about his concerns when you have a family with the terror attacks that have started in earnest recently.

gini Wijnaldum

Gini Wijnaldum in action against Arsenal

This is what Gini said:

“It’s strange, but it seems like in this kind of thing  you dwell even more on all the consequences for the world if you  have kids.”

“Where does it go in the world eventually if we experience these kinds of terrible things?”

“In the summer the final rounds of the European Championships will be held in the country where the attacks are happening now. You’re still thinking.”

The Netherlands will play in Germany tomorrow night and then the Dutchman will return to Newcastle to prepare for the game at home to Leicester City on Saturday afternoon.

There are other ramifications of the attacks in the football world with PSG defender and Brazilian International David Luiz expressing concerns about returning to his club following the attacks on Friday night.

Uruguayan international Edinson Cavani has since joined David with his own concerns about playing in Paris.

It’s a terrible thing on a human level when you are bringing up a family in a major world capital that is openly being targeted by terrorists.

There will even be more security next summer when the 2016 European Championships are held in France.

A one minute’s silence will be observed before all FA Premier League games this weekend and indeed before all of the other sporting fixtures in honor of the Paris victims.

It’s a sad world we live in at the moment.

Tags: Georginio Wijnaldum · Interview · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Maybe the TOON should play the
    “La Marseillaise”
    before or after the one minutes silence and the fans should wear something red white and blue in solidarity and sympathy with the French and our French players.
    I will

• 2 Mister Tuff // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM

I think there are plans tomorrow night at Wembley for the whole crowd to sing La Marseillaise to show solidarity. They are going to put the words on the big screens apparently.

• 3 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM

I went to the NBA spurs game Saturday nite, they have a world class player, tony parker, who is French, and before the game, they played the French natl anthem, and on all scoreboards were “pray for paris”…

was moved to hear the arena cheer and support them during this time of need…

• 4 Munster Mag // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM

A shocking act of barbarity. Worryingly, a pal was telling me that moderate, educated muslims that she works with never condemn these acts. Thats scary.

• 5 Graeme // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:23 PM

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, this is the link to the SBR Charity Auction -http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/sir-bobbys-auction/catalogue-id-srsir10001

• 6 lesh // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

Great idea to play/ sing in solidarity with the French – now whether Charnley find a copy of the recording….. errrrr

• 7 Munster Mag // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Going bak to Thauvin issue earlier, I dodnt think he will make it to be honest, or not to a a level that justifies the outlay. In fairness, I missed his good game, but am allowing for the opposition. I think he lacks straight line pace and he showed that clearly against West Ham and in the last game where he tried to track back but just didnt have the strength, despite being a sub. I didnt rate Santon because he was a nothing player – neither an attacker nor a defender. Defensive nous was missing, and awareness of space behind him and danger wasnt good enough. He was also slow into the tackle. Mbiwa was also not good enough – poor in the air , poor tackler, and only saved by his speed. IMO, neither of these signings were successful by Old Man Carr. I’m not bothered if people say players need time – yes of course they do – but unless Thauvin is not fit ( in which case he shudnt be playing ) , I cant see a lot to be optimistic about. Hopefully I’m wrong but most players that I didnt rate early on havent made it with us so am happy to stick my neck out ( The ex everton guy who went to Bournemouth, Obertan, Santon, Mbiwa, Amalfitano, Marveaux etc ) . Thankfully the signings this summer have generally been v good.

• 8 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:36 PM

lesh
    should do – got know excuses as he has many a dealings with the French.
    Anyway one of the French lads could easy give him a copy to get duplicated.
    “La Marseillaise” Song sheets on every seat

• 9 Dagwoodz // Nov 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Thoughts go out to the French. But the attitudes from the players referenced above about not wanting to go back to where the attacks took place is exactly what those who conduct these attacks want. They want you to feel completely insecure, wherever you go, and to change up your little piece of this world.

The best way to fight this is to not let fear drive what you do daily, or what your actions should be. I understand what they are saying, that they are fearful for their families. I’m scared for my family each and every day, but I keep doing what I do and do NOT let it effect me and disproportionately alter my decision making. I give it its due, but no more.

previous post: Alan Shearers’ Appropriate And Fighting Words On Terror Attack