The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported To Be Interested In Italian International

10:40 pm, Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 54 Comments

France Football is reporting today that Newcastle United are interested in 6’4″ PSG goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu, who is 28 years old.

It looks like Sirigu will not get many games this season, after being the number one goalkeeper at the Paris club for the last four seasons, but German U21 International goalkeeper Kevin Trapp arrived in the summer from Eintracht Frankfurt and has played in all but one game this season.

Salvatore Sirigu

Salvatore Sirigu – PSG and Italian International goalkeeper

Kevin is now the PSG number one goalkeeper so Sirigu is looking for a new club after playing 179 times for PSG but just once this season.

It seems that PSG will not stand in his way if he wants to leave the club and with Tim Krul out for the season that’s one probabale reason Newcastle have been linked with the 15 times capped Italian International goalkeeper.

We don’t think Newcastle have decided on whether to bring in a new goalkeeper on loan in January yet, and it depends on how Rob Elliot and/or Karl Darlow play before January rolls around.

We think that if either Karl or Rob are injured before January then Newcastle could be forced to bring in another goalkeeper at that time.

There was news in the summer once Trapp arrived,  that the Italian could be in his way and it could now happen as soon as January for the 6″4″ goalkeeper.

Sirigu joined PSG in 2011 from Palermo where he made 80 appearances over five seasons at the club although he was on loan at Cremonese and Ancona for two of those seasons.

He looks a very solid goalkeeper but it remains to be seen if Newcastle need to bring in a  new goalkeeper in January.

Tags: Karl Darlow · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

54 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Nov 17, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Nov 17, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Ed you’re falling behind the blog tick in your Googling expertise. Ray Von has stolen a March on you there mate. Perhaps you should do a piece on us poaching Wanyama from Real Bournemouth?

• 3 BandB // Nov 17, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Ashley Out!

• 4 Sliema // Nov 17, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Don’t really see us getting Sirigu. Would take him on loan for sure

• 5 Jib // Nov 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Chun Ki
    Phew !
    You had me worried there !

Your comment on Ben Arfa was worth reading .

Nice to see it was just a temporary abberation.

You quickly returned back to your normal slavver.

• 6 BandB // Nov 17, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Lesh, Martoon,

Jib’s back.

And it’s exactly 11pm too, and I’m off to bed.

• 7 Jib // Nov 17, 2015 at 11:01 PM

It’s a bit harsh to blame Charnley for the Dele Alli missed opportunity.

Spurs got (hijacked) him for what we had negotiated , viz £5 million and a loan back to Milton Keynes for the rest of the season.

Clearly a North London club offering the same terms was preferable for a Home Counties boy.

Also last January Charnley had a bit more than transfers on his plate.

• 8 BandB // Nov 17, 2015 at 11:05 PM

The same terms?

You mean the ones in which they offered him a first team place and a ticket to international football, while we offered him the chance to get some football under his belt at Milton Keynes.

The boy’s a fool.

• 9 Mister Tuff // Nov 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM

To be fair Penfold was busy in January – he was sorting out the 80 manager applications, reading their CV’s, and preparing to interview the best candidates.

• 10 lesh // Nov 17, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Martoon asked you on the previous thread and I shall on this.

Just what is the point you’re making? If you’re not sure, you can whisper.

• 11 Sazzer // Nov 18, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Charnley should hurry up and sign Riechedly Bazoer before he ends up elsewhere like Delli Alli.

• 12 headtheball // Nov 18, 2015 at 2:27 AM

It’s been suggested that Google can make users well informed. I wonder if that includes a person who pontificates from Pennywell?
    Just a thought.

• 13 John Tudor // Nov 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM

slags google then obviously hammers it to find details on psg keeper
    begone glib the wicked

• 14 John Tudor // Nov 18, 2015 at 3:07 AM

Jeff rom Benwell says:
    November 20, 2013 at 10:27 am
    Oh dear an Irish glory hunter that DIDN’T pick Manure or the bindippers
    There there son (passes a kleenex over and hands him a glass of whine)
    Hall and Shepherd sacked Robson 5 games into the season , you goon , I bet you were one of those shouting for Robson’s sack.
    If Ashleys tenure does no more than get rid of opinionated non Geordie hangers on, that will be a job well done.

• 15 John Tudor // Nov 18, 2015 at 3:14 AM

Well there you go we’d be eye to eye.
    Second row for Tynedale me .
    And you ?

• 16 John Tudor // Nov 18, 2015 at 3:15 AM

Jeff from Benwell // Mar 10, 2015 at 5:39 PM

I’m not trying to belittle your post
    Le10sport is known in France as

“l’embouchure des agents”

The Agents Mouthpiece
    Notorious for their planted “exclusives”

If it aint in L’Equipe it’s usually rubbish

• 17 Santon03 // Nov 18, 2015 at 4:56 AM

Get Sirigu, probably sell Krul, I don’t mind at all.

Get Davide Santon back, he can play multiple positions LWB, RWB, RW, LW.

• 18 jimmysmith // Nov 18, 2015 at 4:57 AM

We are signing Italian goalkeepers from PSG all of a sudden? A particular Salvatore Sirgay. Good grief!

Edward, this one really has a jumbo whiff of incredulity about it fella.

• 19 lochinvar // Nov 18, 2015 at 5:23 AM

Sirigu is clearly a tall story but you can see the thinking – buy a tall keeper who can come out for high crosses and you might save the money needed to buy a new CB .
    Reeks of a Dire Sports BOGOF promotion

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:05 AM

Daniel Levy gets some stick from Spuds fans re his transfers, but you can’t really knock the signings of Dier and Alli for less than £10million for the pair. What great value, and another 10+years at the top level in them both.

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:09 AM

Mind you, if he can con someone to part with £10million for Andros Townsend that will be his greatest achievement to date.

• 22 Ron Knee // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:11 AM

Good morning jesper

Commiserations. That Ibrahimovic, eh!

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:12 AM

I’m not sure why we missed out on them, whether it was preferable terms, our usual dithering or just plain turned us down, I can ubderstand why Alle chose Spurs which is obviously a whole lot mearer to his family and friends.

• 24 Ron Knee // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:12 AM

Sissoko and Townsend – what a fearsome pair!

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM

Why don’t we test Spurs with a 15M bid in Janusry for Alle, surely every plsyer has a value, they’re confident enough of landing Perez.

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:17 AM

I’m not sure we ever went in for Dier, I think we watched him a few times but I never heard anything concrete on our interest from anyone at all, not even media. I was really disappointed we didn’t go after him though, Spurs paid around £3.5million for him, looking a real bargain for a lad who has slotted seamlessly into right back, centre back and defensive midfield at a top end Prem side.

Alli is even stranger, we were tracking him for over 2 years and were first linked with a bid for him in late 2013. Why it then took 2 years to actually move anything forward (if we actually did bid) who knows.

Joe Gomez who started well at Liverpool was another youngster we were allegedly close to signing last Jan, but we decided to wait until summer and he went to Liverpool. Granted, he is now out injured, but he started superbly for them and only cost a few million. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

• 27 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:18 AM

Morning Ron…that was not the hoped for display last night 🙁

…we have simply not been good enough!

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:19 AM

Sissoko and Townsend, I think I’d cry if we ended up with those two on the wings. It would be time to walk away from the game at Prem level and concentrate on youth development so future generations don’t have to watch a similarly poor pair…

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:21 AM

Would you take a straight swap? If they really want Perez, we want Alli in exchange?

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:25 AM

Lilongwe…chances are those three players would have been crap here…or we would just ruin them like we do all youngsters!

…personally I think we should stay clear of kids for the kids sake. I think we should concentrate on 20 year olds who are close to being first team ready (they cost more, but there are less to ruin).

We still won’t have to register them and they can still have a season out on loan.

• 31 Ron Knee // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:27 AM

… with Andy Carroll leading the attack from the sick bay!

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:31 AM

Eric Dier perfectly fits the description, he was 20 when Spurs got him. Premier league ready at £3.5million.

Alli went back to MK Dons on loan after he joined Spurs to continue developing, yes he is only 19, but he is also now Prem ready and England ready by the looks of it so far.

Gomez joined Liverpool in the Summer and started the season in their defence. Prem ready for a few million.

If we are saying we could ruin youngsters, then it makes no difference signing them at 20. It is having he confidence to give them the chance to shine. We would not really have had much of a chance to ruin any of those three, any more than any other player.

Rather than your attitude of let’s not bother with them, I’d prefer the club and staff to be have the attitude of let’s get better at developing and utilising them.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:40 AM

I suppose Alle is looking the better player but I like Perez and would love to see a great Partnership formed with Mitro.

• 34 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Sissoko was never a winger and I am not sure why we are so desperate to make him one…

Agree on Townsend! We have our very own French version (don’t really want two of them)…

I just fear for the sake of buying British that we would sadly buy whatever we can get our hands on.

• 35 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:53 AM

Lilongwe…that’s true Dier did fit the bill!

…was just what we needed!

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:57 AM

Lilongwe…apparently for us there’s a big difference between whether we are going to develop them or another club have done it for us!

…in our case history proof the latter is preferable!

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 6:59 AM

Moot point anyway, Alli will be worth well in excess of £20million now if anyone were to try and prise him away from Spuds.

Would have been nice to have both though…..

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:04 AM

Sorry, not sure I follow? Is this in reference to us loaning players out to help them develop? Like lots of clubs do with their youngsters? It comes across like you are critical of players learning the game and gaining experience?

The difference with players like Alli, Gomez and Dier is they had done their stint playing and learning from the lower leagues and gained the experience that our youngsters coming up from academy and Under 21’s don’t have, so they loan them out to gain the experience. It is the best way to develop them unless a Maradona or Messi comes through who can slot straight in.

As I say though, I’m not quite sure whether I really get the point you are trying to make. If not then please explain further. I have to head off for a bit, but I will get back to you later.

• 39 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:15 AM

We will just throw ’em in the deep end and break ’em.

At Spurs these kids are just kids next great players. And they are treated ad such.

I remember when Jon Dahl Tomasson was here. Suddenly he was the one we looked to with Shearer and who else we had injured. These things can break kids.

• 40 Reyantoon // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Yawn.., didn’t too fussed about those British players.They went to other clubs for different reason.
    Again no scratch reported from the lads.Almost all are fresh and full of energy going to the Leicester clash.Will be cracking game,just because Leicester are in form at the moment.

• 41 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Lilongwe…that is not what I am saying.

I am talking about how kids are developed at Newcastle…in this case we are discussion those we bring in at the age of 17-19 just like Alli.

They don’t seem to turn out as expected. Would Alli have been send out on loan here? Probably not. Would Gomez have shined in defense or have overrun? Probably the latter.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Shame you find the discussion of potential stars that we could have had as boring Reyantoon, why don’t you chip in with how truthful the King is, whoever that may be to add some real excitement to the blog !

• 43 martoon // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:49 AM

BandB put these words in the correct order:
    Pot, Kettle, Black, the, Calling, Like, It’s, The!

BandB // Nov 17, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Well, it’s only football.
    The world’s most important unimportant thing, as the man on the telly just said.
    It isn’t a matter of life and death, as things are for Welshgeordie and his dad.
    And it isn’t war.
    Let’s hope this international is packed with incident.
    None of it fatal.

On the BLUE shirt 🙂

23 BandB // Nov 17, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Number 8?
    But I HATE Chanel.

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:51 AM

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:57 AM

The deal to take Alli to Spuds was the same as our deal for Lascelles and Darlow, so we likely would have been happy to do the same. From what I recall MK Sons were pretty insistent he stayed with them for the remainder of the season as part of the deal.

As for other youngsters, it all depends. You could argue the quality of youngsters we bring in is at a poorer level to start with, that is why we get them at cheaper prices, and that is why they struggle to have an impact.

Alli cost £5million, Bigi £1million. Dier £3.5million, Haidara £1million. We gamble hoping they will work, rather than buying the quality at slightly higher prices.

Same with a lot of deals to bring players here. We pay lower prices for out of form or injury prone, or contract coming to an end.

• 46 Reyantoon // Nov 18, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Jail – lol I’m not saying your discussion is bored.
    I’m trying to make a point that most players we are after gone to other clubs just mostly because family and friends related reasons, not because we are not attractive.Do you really think those players rejected us?

Side note;
    I expect at least Matip to arrive in January. Not big fan of his but will be a good backup.
    If Vardy’s chance of playing is fifty-fifty,I expect him to be fit by sat.I’m not too worried about him either though.

• 47 martoon // Nov 18, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Jail – simply a riposte for BandB’s comments at end of the last topic and #6 on this one! She seems to believe it’s a mortal sin if you interact with Jib!

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Desperate times call for desperate measures, the blog is seriously dead at the moment so talking to Jibberish sometimes can’t be helped !

• 49 cyprus // Nov 18, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Ashley out… check
    Sissoko bashing… check

All clear 🙂

Ok, Ed, time to present the next game, do some analysis, some predictions.

• 50 BandB // Nov 18, 2015 at 10:18 AM

I’ll put this here where you posted it, so as not to spoil the football chat with a feud.
    You missed the initial post from your copy and paste (odd, as it was contiguous) , and therefore give the impression that I was initiating a conversation rather responding to a dig from Jib.
    A very mild dig, I might add.
    I don’t mind Jib. We understand each other.
    Like Tsunki, it’s his gutless fellow travellers I can’t stand. The ones who encourage the victim mentality behind his worst excesses and like to hint that he is being challenged for his opinions rather than his style.

• 51 martoon // Nov 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM

BandB – I’m not looking for a feud I was just trying to show that you, yourself sometimes interact, debate with Jib yet when Lesh and I do you have a dig!
    I’ve never defended Jib – I agree he can sometimes be abusive and nasty (I suspect when he’s had a few sherries) and I simply ignore him then. However a lot of the time I actually find his posts quite informative & entertaining and I will then interact with him.
    At the end of the day this is only a football blog and I can’t be bothered to hold grudges and get into long running disputes.

• 52 BandB // Nov 18, 2015 at 11:33 AM

I put it back here so we chat in private without people piling in today.
    Why have you flagged it up on the live page, as you must have guessed I’d check here to see if you’d replied.
    Did you really want to draw a line under it?
    Anyway Martoon, I see no need for a feud with you.

• 53 martoon // Nov 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM

BandB – I wasn’t sure if you would look? That’s the only reason I mentioned it on the live page – honestly there was no dark, dastardly reason!

• 54 BandB // Nov 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Back to the live page.
    Another of those informative posts, about Perez this time.
    The man’s a veritable goldmine isn’t he?
    Bless him.

previous post: This Emerging Star Ready For Another Chance

next post: Which Newcastle Team Will Turn Up On Saturday?