Leicester City An Example To Newcastle On What’s Possible

Steve McClaren has been talking about the upcoming game at St. James’ Park on Saturday and it will be a stern test by Leicester City who have made a great start to the season and are currently in 3rd place in the Premier League and only one point out of first place.

Former Newcastle coach Nigel Pearson started the revival earlier this year and starting on 4th April they won seven of their last nine games and lost only one – so they got a fantastic 22 points from the last 9 games and finished in 14th place on 41 points.

As a contrast to that – in Newcastle’s last nine games we lost seven and won one for only 4 points – so from April 4th Leicester City gained a massive 18 points on Newcastle.

🙁

Claudio Ranieri +Hull+City+v+Leicester+City+6VbnyuQgZRcl

Claudio Ranieri – doing great at Leicester City

Leicester then fired Pearson and brought in former Chelsea coach Claudio Ranieri who has done great so far this season.

In fact in Leicester’s last 21 league games they have amassed 43 points.

It’s certainly going to be a big test for the Magpies on Saturday and we hope our best team turns up to the game.

This is what Steve has said in the Chronicle today:

“It’s not like Leicester coming here last year, then they were in the bottom three.” “Leicester have been the surprise team of the season so far.” “It’s been a big turnaround and how it can happen.”

“That’s in just one year.” “You can go from being in the bottom three to the top three.” “Nigel Pearson takes credit and Claudio Ranieri takes credit for using his experience to steady the ship.”

“It’s hard to do when you just come in, but he’s done it.” “They are one of those teams, a bit like West Ham, who have had a great start to the season.”“It’s going to be a fantastic game.”

“But they are a team who are never dead.” “That’s the key thing.” “Even if you are 2-0 up you can’t think you are alright because they keep coming from behind.” “They have great spirit.”

“Leicester are a team we can look at and say: ‘Look what can be done’.” “You see what can be done in a year.” “It’s purely through good management and the spirit of the players.”

“You look at the boy Vardy, he’s on fire.” “He’s scored in the last nine games.” “They are in the top three.” “It’s going to be some game.”

We were hoping that in-form striker Jamie Vardy would not be fit enough to play for the Foxes, but it looks like Jamie will start the game, even if not completely fit.

If he plays and scores against Newcastle he will have scored a goal in every one of the last 10 league games and equal Ruud van Nistelrooy’s record.

Why play if he is not 100% fit and maybe miss out on the record?

🙂

Unfortunately, Jamie will probably start the game on Saturday.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Leicester?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Bobbybee

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM

I have no idea what his injury is, but playing with an injury just to break a record sounds reckless to me. He can still break the record surely, because it’s about ten consecutive games. If he doesn’t play, it can’t be counted as part of the consecutive run, can it? Van Nistleroy’s record spread over two seasons after all. I’d happily see him take a record off Manure, but he could further damage himself in the first few minutes and be out for months. A risk not worth taking with the Euro’s in the summer, surely?

• Graeme

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Could be some game alright – Unless McLaran has them all fired up and we play at least twice as well as against Bournemouth, we could well get spanked.

• Jib

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Bobby
    It’s a hip flexor injury , similar to what Mario Balotelli has just had surgery on in Germany.
    Vardy would be potty to take pain killers or injections to play through it.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:04 PM

BobbyBee,
    I’m assuming it’s ten actual games in a row rather than games someone has actually started in.
    Also,
    If you and Sazzer think that it is a requirement for McLaren to win a cup and finish eighth I think you are a little bit off the mark. imo. He will be incentivised to reach those targets but he certainly won’t be losing his job with 12th place finishes and miserable cup runs.

• Jib

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Jail for Ashley – “he certainly won’t be losing his job with 12th place finishes and miserable cup runs.”

Nor should he.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Jail…the problem with that business model us that the players performance eventually will reflect that same attitude!

…they club gets back they pour or in this case don’t pour into it!

• MadisonToon

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Leicester should never be an example for us. Spouting that nonsense is pathetic. Just as Southampton was an example for us a few years back, or Swansea. Every season there is a team that overperforms and has an impressive season, or at least the start of one. However, since the season we finished 5th we haven’t been one of those ‘revelations’ of the season and have languished.

We need to stop comparing ourselves to the teams that are performing well and make a commitment to moving Newcastle up in the table – the Newcastle that is a unique team and not truly comparable to any of the other teams in the PL. Most of the revelations from the past few seasons are teams that have just come up from the Champ, weren’t expected to do well but started strong – these teams are in a very different place than NUFC is. Figure out how to move Newcastle up the table given the goals/confines of our team/club/institution and make a plan for Newcastle, not a carbon copy of the plan for a team in a different situation than ours that is performing well.

/rant off

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Why not Jib,
    I thought they’d said his target was eighth and to win a cup, how many top 12 finishes and miserable cup runs should he be allowed

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:22 PM

My phone just crashed that text…I’ll try again!

Jail…the problem with that business model is that the player’s performance eventually will reflect that same attitude!

…the club gets back what they pour, or in this case don’t pour into it!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM

MadisonToon…that’s because Newcastle don’t aspire to much these days! It’s the sad truth!

We will always have Ashley’s word of wisdom and the usual pro forma goals each season.

• Ravostag

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Why dont we look at some young lower Division players hungry for success? Much better than overated imports

• banjax

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:59 PM

If we are still in the relegation zone at Xmas then David Moyes is available.

• Graeme

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Ravostag – but if they are hungry for success, surely, NUFC is the last place they would want to be. Unless their definition of success is making a shed load of money.

After almost 8 years of dross, we finally say we are aiming to win something – so very easy to spout, much more difficult to deliver. They need to do a whole lot more than they have done to date to convince me they actully mean it.

Time will tell I guess.

• Jib

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:05 PM

I can offer no evidence for my opinion but I think Steve McClaren is a better manager than David Moyes .

• Mister Tuff

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:12 PM

JIB STRIKES AGAIN.

I was getting a bit worried as there had been no recent gaffes by Jib Jibberrish – however I needn’t have worried -Jib previously posted about Perez winning a marathon – as already pointed out it was a completely different person.
    What a tool.
    Jib -attached is link for a picture of the athlete – not the footballer.

You cannot make up this stuff – always good for a gaffelaugh is Jib Jibberish.

• MadisonToon

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:13 PM

jesper –

I just don’t understand the commitment of the PR team to re-state that ‘other teams are doing well, we should be like them’ and think that will pacify the fans. For NUFC to achieve more than 8th place consistently, there will need to be a plan put into place that transitions a team who is bottom-half material into the top half. If parallels to other teams need to be drawn then Everton would really be the best comparison but even that isn’t good enough. For NUFC to achieve a consistent top half (or top 8) finish each year the transfer/development/coaching plan needs to be tailored to us not copied after others who show some success with their plans.

Related to that I could see how Moyes might be an attractive manger as he oversaw Everton’s transition…but the MA environment is unique to NUFC and I’m not sure Moyes’ past experience would set him off any better than McClaren. At this stage, I’d see moving for Moyes as a positive-but-completely-unnecessary move by the club.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:16 PM

So Jib I’ll ask again since you’re obviously about, how many 12th place finishes and miserable cup runs should Mclaren deliver after being given a top eight target before being replaced with somebody who can ?

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Jib ha ha you are funny. Underwear safe, though 🙂

• Jib

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Mr Tuff pinches a link off my post admitting my gaffe – what a tool 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Jib ?

• dok - the horrid colonial

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:37 PM

JfA,

question… would you be satisfied with a 12th place finish this year only?

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Tbf Mr T Ray did throw his hands up for that one. Pretty much a first as far as I can recall so fair play.

• MadisonToon

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:42 PM

I’m off but I’ll answer the posed question anyway:

15th place I’d be disgusted.

12th place I’d be disappointed but not distraught.

10th place I’d be satisfied.

Anything above, I’d know we outperformed.

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:42 PM

He he it was a classic googleballs though 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM

dok,
    This year, will have to be really, can’t expect him to turn it around after one year and after the start we’ve had I’d take your hand off for twelth. If Mashers comes good and spends 50M each window in January and the summer with no outgoings ???? then less than eighth will not be acceptable, something tells me he won’t and 12th will be.

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM

The question is too narrow to answer. If we got to 10 th with the current setup and with the SD policy firmly cemented into position and all set for another meagre year of horse trading and sock-darning No. I would be depressed at the thought of another treadmill season coming.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Typical Jibberish,
    Throws in an argumentive comment with absolutely nothing to back it up with, absolutely thoughtless individual.

• Jib

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Tsunki
    I’d seen the vid on instagram of Perez training on his own in Tenerife last week – so I investigated further – added 2 to 2 and got 5 !!!

I wouldn’t care I hesitated to post it in case I got the kid in bother with the club – Doh.

Double Doh 🙁

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:49 PM

So will Ayoze Wanyama, Bournemouth legend and marathon runner, be turning his multi talented hand to the sailing sports with a race through the Solent, the River that Never Was? Or will he stick to his football roots and sign for Spanish giants Real Valllllllecano? Keep up to date with Google!

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:52 PM

OK Jib you’re making me feel guilty now fair enough I’ll let it lie.

Until the next time, my friend HAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!

( evil laugh, there)

• dok - the horrid colonial

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:53 PM

tsunki,

ok, 12th this season, with the two windows to strengthen, jan and july… then if we do keep adding quality, not quantity to the club,… will expectations then be for next season top 6? will that be satisfactory?

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Jib I can see where the psychology lies I bet you had Jonas in mind running charity races during his recuperation period.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM

I personally think 12th will be decent… but MA
    need to prove his words by investing in the quality like we did in the summer…

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Dok, you utterly horrid colonial you – pressing me for an opinion eh? Dastardly sorts, these chaps. Absolute shower of cads…

Hmm well that’s my point I suppose, you have to be witnessing a sea change in the entrenched policy. If I saw genuine shift to a more purposeful and sporting ambition, I would take any progress virtually regardless of speed. I just remain unconvinced it’s going to happen.

• TroubledToon

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Plz not Moyes.. He’s no better than anyone we’ve had recently and we’ll probably continue to drown in our mediocrity if he comes on board

• cyprus

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:01 PM

If it were only money, we should be finishing in the top ten…

The number in brackets is team rank average pay in ANY sport.

1. Manchester City: £96,445 (3rd overall)

2. Manchester United: £89,988 (6th)

3. Chelsea: £83,713 (8th)

4. Arsenal: £77,963 (10th)

5. Liverpool: £67,486 (14th)

6. Tottenham: £54,077 (30th)

7. Aston Villa: £34,815 (80th)

8. Newcastle: £32,223 (87th)

9. Everton: £31,447 (90th)

10. Sunderland: £31,078 (94th)

So, it’s not just about stingy owners, as seems the most popular culprit among fans. One must look at recruitment and team building too.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:02 PM

tsunki,

with the last what, 5 seasons, its been policy to not spend, upgrade and buy for future sell… I see why youd be unconvinced….

if we spend 50m on quality in January, how does that affect your outlook of the club?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:04 PM

The topic of targets does interest me, especially when it comes to assessing whether you think anything has really changed at the club.

I wont speak for anyone else, but one of my gripes has been accountability. We never hear what they think went wrong, or who was responsible or what they’re actually going to do differently.

Again we appear to be setting off on an adventure, one we’re expected to have faith in, and we’re sat here guessing what the club wants to achieve and when by.

Until the constant air of confusion is removed, I’ll struggle to believe we’ve turned any significant corners. I still find it incredible how they can recognise the importance of the fans, yet not do more to bring them onside.

Again, only speaking for me. I know some are impressed with the clubs new and improved communication. I still think it lacks any substance.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Cyprus ,

that’s my point, I can spend 50m on willo to come back, doesn’t mean its a quality buy… we all know we need a cb or two, a str and possibly a keeper now… guess im curious to what certain posters would be sayisfied with…

• Tsunki

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Dok it would affect it greatly, as I’d be genuinely gobsmacked not only if we spent it but I also have no idea what we’d be spending it on in January. I’d put that down as a bit fanciful, however I think there are a couple of key positions to fill in January to keep us in the league, so I would expect any owner who seriously wants us to make our own luck, start his horse-bolting by spending at least a decent amount in January. Anything less will be a typical Ashley gamble on current stock keeping us afloat.