It´s Good News Bad News On Goalkeeper Front

Newcastle United´s goalkeeper Rob Elliot wasn’t fit enough to play for the Republic of Ireland in their play-off win against Bosnia and Herzegovina when they drew the first leg 1-1 and won the home leg 2-0 to make it to the finals.

All but Scotland of the home countries who have qualified for the Euro 2016 finals in France next summer with England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland all having qualified.

rob elliot saves again bournemouth

Rob Elliot saving another one at Bournemouth

Ireland manager Martin O’Neill was understanding of the plight of Rob Elliot who was only 80% fit yet still between the sticks for Newcastle.

Rob will be motivated to make the Ireland squad for the finals next summer and if he can stay fit and keep playing like he has done in the last three games he could be Ireland´s first choice next summer.

It looks like Rob will again be in goal for Newcastle on Saturday although he´s still not 100% fit,  but Karl Darlow is struggling to make it.

Karl has returned to training, but the club may keep young Freddie Woodman on the bench for the Leicester City game.

There are a couple of decisions Steve McClaren will need to make on the goalkeeping front.

One is whether to allow Freddie Woodman to go out on loan again – with November 25th being the cut-off  date for emergency loans.

And then in January Steve will need to decide whether to bring in another goalkeeper.

If either Rob or Karl are injured before that – or Rob and/or Karl are not in good form through the end of the year – then Steve will in all likelihood bring in a goalkeeper on loan in January.

The scenario we like to see is for Rob Elliot and Karl Darlow to stay fit for the rest of the season and fight it out for the number one position at Newcastle in Tim Kruls’absence through injury.

And also have Woodman out on loan getting good first team experience for the talented young goalkeeper.

What do you think?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Ibiza,
    I was talking about the current timeline of 3 Windows. I hadn’t considered it but I guess the fact we haven’t achieved any of our previous timelines adds to my scepticism on this one, albeit subconsciously until you mentioned them.

• lochinvar

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Papers report Allardyce is targeting Andy Carrol to save the Mackems season.
    Fat chance saloon.

• davetoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Haha the wedding photo is clearly just a delivery mechanism for a virus. pun intended.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Lil…The 3 window timeline is an interesting one. All that’s required is constant investment and to address the areas that are needed most, window to window.

The one that has me, and it appears others, scratching their heads is the clubs top 8 and a trophy target. This year, before McClarens current deal expires, what’s the minimum requirements?

I can just see us moving forward 2-3 years (in time, not sporting progress), and there still being no real plan or accountability.

We can be sure there would be a review though and that we wont have a clue what has been reviewed or what they’ve concluded.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Dave…It’s now been replaced with an untitled video…I am intrigued to see what it is…what’s the worst that could happen?

Lochinvar….Really? I know he’s a fan of Carroll, but it wasn’t that long ago at West Ham he placed huge question marks over his fitness / injuries. I can’t see how that situation has changed much.

• Blofal

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Sissoko and Wijnaldum were both supposed to be central midfielders but have both ended up performing better out wide.

Wijnaldum is an interesting one… he is playing out left and fades in and out of games. But when he’s playing well we score goals so he has to be on the pitch. But left midfield is not his best position. His best is probably playing where Sissoko or Perez are.

We have De Jong, Perez and Wijnaldum who are all essentially number 10’s. Thauvin is our left sided midfielder but not up to speed yet. Then we have Anita, Colback and Tiote all playing centrally.

Ideally I’d like to see De Jong play as a number 6 and see how it goes. He has the passing skills but the jury is still out on his defensive game.

We have the players for a 4-2-3-1 system but we’ve ended up 4-4-1-1 purely due to that fact that Mitro and Perez play so well together. I’m interested to see what McClaren does in the next 2 windows because we have a really unbalaneed squad when playing this 4-4-1-1 system.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Ibiza
    Yeah, it would be interesting to find out what they reviewed, where it went wrong and how they intend to do it differently. Not sure it is realistic to expect that though, not just from our club, but from most major organisations.

With regards the top 8 and a cup, I was under the impression that was the target for this season, and numerous articles in the Ronny would seem to indicate that was the impression they had as well. It is still possible I guess, but I think the targets will have been revised/are in a review process. Whether they will let us now the downgrade of target is another matter, I suspect it will depend on the next 4 or 5 games.

• martoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Ibizatoon & davetoon – I work for a German company so all I see are German adverts 🙁

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Lil…It’s a tough one. I understand the need for privacy,but not to the lengths the club go to. It all seems counterproductive when trying to get fans onside.

Maybe it’s just certain fans they’re trying to get onside these days.

On top 8 and a cup, that’s exactly my problem with our new and improved communication. Why don’t we know what they meant? It’s hardly top secret, or shouldn’t be, they’re the clubs goals and targets. If we understood them, there could be a level playing field. As it stands, many ‘debates’ are based on people trying to decipher the basics of what the club have said. It just causes division where it’s not needed, imo.

Martoon…German I can live with, as long as there is cake involved.

• lochinvar

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Ibizatoon- here you are – more lazy journos you would think – what they forgot was the question mark after the statement

“Sam Allardyce wants to make West Ham striker Andy Carroll, 26, his first signing as Sunderland manager. (Goal) “

• martoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM

I really can’t believe the Carroll story. By all accounts he is pretty settled in London with his girlfriend from the reality show (I forget exactly which one) and baby on good money from West Ham. I could understand him being tempted to come back to his home town club but why on earth would he go to Sunderland?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Lochinvar…Goal, well maybe there is some truth behind it 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM

martoon…I struggle with that last line too, then again, I ask that of anyone who’d go to Sunderland, not just Carroll.

Now, about his baby being on good money from West Ham…

• lesh

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Given our current keeper situation, it would be absolute madness to let Woodman go out on loan. But in saying that, nothing would surprise me with Charnley in charge.

And as an aside, Moyes is on the sidelines and as relegation’s a real threat, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ashley’s seriously considering McClaren’s future at the Club.

• John Tudor

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM

windows xp, 8 and 10

• jimmysmith

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Charnley is a young guy. It’s a steep learning curve. He could become an outstanding GM. Same might be said of Ashley as an owner. And then of course there’s Cathro, and some superb young players, and the incredible ground and support. I’ve never taken the certainty of the “we are doomed to mediocrity argument seriously”, as if it’s the only horse in the race. It isn’t.

• davetoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM

@Ibiza. usually they install a trojan virus on your computer to steal passwords for online banking and your personal details

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Is anyone else experiencing a hell of a lag when typing comments.

It’s so bad some days I just give it up as a bad job.

I have to triple check at times to make sure I’m not typing total nonsense.

Although that statement for me is a bit of an oxymoron!

🙂

• beermonkey

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Ibiza

Howdy sir how are u

U don’t really think fat will spend big on carrol again he is on big money at west ham how many games has he play in the last 2 3 seasons unless you can get him for next to nowt he ain’t worth as he struggles to stay fit

• firebug666

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Essex @18

I have the same problems sometimes, hence I don’t post so much anymore.

Sometimes by the time my post appears, the topic has moved on.

• Jib

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Of the 3 goalies linked with us.

Stéphane Ruffier of St. Eteinne has cooled his ardour for a move to the PL

Victor Valdes is going to Espanyol (I thought he wanted to stay in England !)

Salvatore Sirigu looks like he may be going to Milan.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Ah Jib, the all knowing living almanac of footy knowledge, still waiting for your reasoning behind thinking Mclaren should be allowed a continous run of 12th place finishes and miserable cup runs. You haven’t got one right, you just said it to antogonise I guess !

• santon3

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM

I think Elliot is better GK than Krul.
    I would love to see Woodman for one or two games, who knows we probably have English version of Gianluigi Donnarumma of AC Milan (16yrs old), he has done amazing job and could be next Buffon.

I don’t mind getting Sirigu, he is good GK. Good enough to play for Italy, has to be good enough for any premier league teams. I don’t think his salary is too high for us, GK don’t get paid as much as other positions.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Beermonkey…Hey mate, all good with me. Just finishing up work for the year in Ibiza – Not stressed about meeting my Tuesday departure deadline – not one bit 🙂 How’s tricks with you?

No, I don’t really believe that story for a second. Unless Sam knows something we don’t know, i.e. He can be got cheaply, I can’t see it.

Dave…Could this Trojan be the horse Ashley is looking for? I’m willing to take the risk…

Essex…I’ve been having problems getting the blog to load using firefox the past week, so have reverted to Chrome where it’s working fine, with no lagging. No idea what the issue is.

• Bobbybee

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Regarding my post last night. So, I must have been halucinating when I’ve read people saying getting relegated would be preferable, because it might get rid of Ashley? Not that Ashley has ever said he would leave if we went down. Have any of you ever read the comments section in the Chronical? Or the Mag? Are you saying some of those idiots don’t want us to fail under Ashley. And jail, so defensive? So now YOU speak for all the anti Ashley mob do you? On what grounds? What authority? Do you know them all? That works both ways, you know?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Bobby…Firstly, may I enquire as to whether you received your results / diagnosis yet?

Secondly, clearly our last discussion on here didn’t go well, where do we sit, am I allowed to comment on that post without it being an issue? I really am not looking for an argument, but am happy to discuss things with you.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM

poor old jib, as socially inadequate and awkward as ever.

• santon3

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:14 PM

bobbybee

that is just some idiots calling themselvs fans or true fans or whatever fans. bunch of dumb@sses trying to be smart with whatever theory they can come up with.

• Bobbybee

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Ibiza, no, I’m still waiting on my ‘urgent’ MRI scan to come through. This is a free blog mate, you can do what you want.

• Bobbybee

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Santon, I know that. You know that. So why am I in the wrong for pointing it out? There are 100% definitely some fans who want us to fail under Ashley. To argue against that is pointless.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Bobby…Sounds about right, hopefully you get some good news soon. Good job they consider it urgent!

Are you still reading lots of comments about fans wanting relegation? I know there were quite a few last season, I was one of them. Sure there will be some this season, but I struggle to believe its anything near “too many don’t want him to succeed” unless some is too many, at the current moment of time.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Bobby,
    Having fans who want us to be relegated now under Ashley to get rid of him is a completely different topic to whether those same fans would be happy if we won a trophy under Ashley. To win a trophy Ashley would have to change what he has been doing over his entire tenure here and show some ambition and drive the team forward.

I’m not sure pointing out that some fans want us relegated to be rid of Ashley has any real bearing on whether they would be happy winning a trophy under Ashley.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Sort of repeated myself in that last post…. I blame it being too hot to be in the office and having no electricity to power the fan…..

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Bobby,
    Jail and Mag52 are two of Ashley’s bigger critics on the blog, and they both say they would be happy if we won a trophy under him.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Bobby / Santon…Because, imo, you misrepresent the feelings and thoughts of those people you seem to claim to understand 100%.

At best, the wording of your posts appears to group people together, which I’m sure you’re aware is dangerous territory (that too is a two way street).

Imo discussing that is not pointless, it should create an understanding and somewhat more of a level playing field for those with opposing views.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Bobby,
    Also, nobody said you were in the wrong for saying it, people just don’t agree. People don’t on blogs, no need to get on the defensive. It certainly isn’t 100% fact, so surely there is room for discussion if it?

• Bobbybee

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Lil, isn’t that what he’s trying to do? Would you argue that he hasn’t made changes for the better this season? He’s finally making an effort. What’s wrong with That? About time too imo. I’m not pro Ashley or anti Ashley. I have hated him in the past, but i can see now he’s making an effort, so i can appreciate that too.
    Ibiza, you say you don’t want an argument, then make a provocative comment like ‘i get the feeling you don’t think this is a free blog’. That’s the reason I don’t wish to take it further. You are looking for a row or you wouldn’t try to wind me up like that. Go and make sandcastles whilst I discuss this with the grown ups eh?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Bobby,
    Yeah, he is making an effort. I would say it isn’t a huge step forward, more should have been done in the summer, and as they said top 8 and a decent till at the cup were the aims, will there be repercussions if we don’t achieve either? If there were, and we continue to build over a further 18 months then I think we can say that there has been change. At the moment, I’d say that the jury is still out really. Ashley hasn’t stepped back, as Paul Simpson stated last week, he still has the final say, the board is the same people plus McClaren who were in the corridors of power last season, and the football is still not great, although it has shown moments of improvement.

None of what you say there though backs up the asset ion that some fans won’t be happy if we won a cup. Fans are rightly sceptical, lets not fogey the 5 year plan that ended a year or so ago was for Champions league football. If we won a cup it would be through significant improvement and development, and I am fairly certain that most fans are willing to give credit for that, and would be happy should that happen.

Those who last season and this wish relegation on the club is because they don’t believe he will change, and feel that would be the best way to be rid of him. I don’t personally agree with that, but that is a discussion for another day.

• martoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Bobbybee @29 – I recently needed an MRI scan and got one within about 2 weeks so I’d chase it up if I were you!

• Ibizatoon

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Bobby…With all due respect, you don’t get me, nor understand me, so please stop asserting that you do.

It seems a shame that we can’t debate an issue, but if that’s your stance, then I shall respect that.

For the avoidance of doubt though, what I said was:

“I wont dig up too much from the past, but I certainly wasn’t left with the impression you felt this was a free blog.”

Wasn’t – Past tense.

Also, there really is no need to be condescending.

Wish you well.