The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It´s Good News Bad News On Goalkeeper Front

9:24 am, Thursday, November 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 66 Comments

Newcastle United´s goalkeeper Rob Elliot wasn’t fit enough to play for the Republic of Ireland in their play-off win against Bosnia and Herzegovina when they drew the first leg 1-1 and won the home leg 2-0 to make it to the finals.

All but Scotland of the home countries who have qualified for the Euro 2016 finals in France next summer with England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland all having qualified.

rob elliot saves again bournemouth

Rob Elliot saving another one at Bournemouth

Ireland manager Martin O’Neill was understanding of the plight of Rob Elliot who was only 80% fit yet still between the sticks for Newcastle.

Rob will be motivated to make the Ireland squad for the finals next summer and if he can stay fit and keep playing like he has done in the last three games he could be Ireland´s first choice next summer.

It looks like Rob will again be in goal for Newcastle on Saturday although he´s still not 100% fit,  but Karl Darlow is struggling to make it.

Karl has returned to training, but the club may keep young Freddie Woodman on the bench for the Leicester City game.

There are a couple of decisions Steve McClaren will need to make on the goalkeeping front.

One is whether to allow Freddie Woodman to go out on loan again – with November 25th being the cut-off  date for emergency loans.

And then in January Steve will need to decide whether to bring in another goalkeeper.

If either Rob or Karl are injured before that – or Rob and/or Karl are not in good form through the end of the year – then Steve will in all likelihood bring in a goalkeeper on loan in January.

The scenario we like to see is for Rob Elliot and Karl Darlow to stay fit for the rest of the season and fight it out for the number one position at Newcastle in Tim Kruls’absence through injury.

And also have Woodman out on loan getting good first team experience for the talented young goalkeeper.

What do you think?

Tags: Euro 2016 · Freddie Woodman · International break · International News · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Premier League · Rob Elliot

66 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I was talking about the current timeline of 3 Windows. I hadn’t considered it but I guess the fact we haven’t achieved any of our previous timelines adds to my scepticism on this one, albeit subconsciously until you mentioned them.

• 2 lochinvar // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Papers report Allardyce is targeting Andy Carrol to save the Mackems season.
    Fat chance saloon.

• 3 davetoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Haha the wedding photo is clearly just a delivery mechanism for a virus. pun intended.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Lil…The 3 window timeline is an interesting one. All that’s required is constant investment and to address the areas that are needed most, window to window.

The one that has me, and it appears others, scratching their heads is the clubs top 8 and a trophy target. This year, before McClarens current deal expires, what’s the minimum requirements?

I can just see us moving forward 2-3 years (in time, not sporting progress), and there still being no real plan or accountability.

We can be sure there would be a review though and that we wont have a clue what has been reviewed or what they’ve concluded.

• 5 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Dave…It’s now been replaced with an untitled video…I am intrigued to see what it is…what’s the worst that could happen?

Lochinvar….Really? I know he’s a fan of Carroll, but it wasn’t that long ago at West Ham he placed huge question marks over his fitness / injuries. I can’t see how that situation has changed much.

• 6 Blofal // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Sissoko and Wijnaldum were both supposed to be central midfielders but have both ended up performing better out wide.

Wijnaldum is an interesting one… he is playing out left and fades in and out of games. But when he’s playing well we score goals so he has to be on the pitch. But left midfield is not his best position. His best is probably playing where Sissoko or Perez are.

We have De Jong, Perez and Wijnaldum who are all essentially number 10’s. Thauvin is our left sided midfielder but not up to speed yet. Then we have Anita, Colback and Tiote all playing centrally.

Ideally I’d like to see De Jong play as a number 6 and see how it goes. He has the passing skills but the jury is still out on his defensive game.

We have the players for a 4-2-3-1 system but we’ve ended up 4-4-1-1 purely due to that fact that Mitro and Perez play so well together. I’m interested to see what McClaren does in the next 2 windows because we have a really unbalaneed squad when playing this 4-4-1-1 system.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Yeah, it would be interesting to find out what they reviewed, where it went wrong and how they intend to do it differently. Not sure it is realistic to expect that though, not just from our club, but from most major organisations.

With regards the top 8 and a cup, I was under the impression that was the target for this season, and numerous articles in the Ronny would seem to indicate that was the impression they had as well. It is still possible I guess, but I think the targets will have been revised/are in a review process. Whether they will let us now the downgrade of target is another matter, I suspect it will depend on the next 4 or 5 games.

• 8 martoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Ibizatoon & davetoon – I work for a German company so all I see are German adverts 🙁

• 9 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Lil…It’s a tough one. I understand the need for privacy,but not to the lengths the club go to. It all seems counterproductive when trying to get fans onside.

Maybe it’s just certain fans they’re trying to get onside these days.

On top 8 and a cup, that’s exactly my problem with our new and improved communication. Why don’t we know what they meant? It’s hardly top secret, or shouldn’t be, they’re the clubs goals and targets. If we understood them, there could be a level playing field. As it stands, many ‘debates’ are based on people trying to decipher the basics of what the club have said. It just causes division where it’s not needed, imo.

Martoon…German I can live with, as long as there is cake involved.

• 10 lochinvar // Nov 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Ibizatoon- here you are – more lazy journos you would think – what they forgot was the question mark after the statement

“Sam Allardyce wants to make West Ham striker Andy Carroll, 26, his first signing as Sunderland manager. (Goal) “

• 11 martoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM

I really can’t believe the Carroll story. By all accounts he is pretty settled in London with his girlfriend from the reality show (I forget exactly which one) and baby on good money from West Ham. I could understand him being tempted to come back to his home town club but why on earth would he go to Sunderland?

• 12 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Lochinvar…Goal, well maybe there is some truth behind it 🙂

• 13 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM

martoon…I struggle with that last line too, then again, I ask that of anyone who’d go to Sunderland, not just Carroll.

Now, about his baby being on good money from West Ham…

• 14 lesh // Nov 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Given our current keeper situation, it would be absolute madness to let Woodman go out on loan. But in saying that, nothing would surprise me with Charnley in charge.

And as an aside, Moyes is on the sidelines and as relegation’s a real threat, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ashley’s seriously considering McClaren’s future at the Club.

• 15 John Tudor // Nov 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM

windows xp, 8 and 10

• 16 jimmysmith // Nov 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Charnley is a young guy. It’s a steep learning curve. He could become an outstanding GM. Same might be said of Ashley as an owner. And then of course there’s Cathro, and some superb young players, and the incredible ground and support. I’ve never taken the certainty of the “we are doomed to mediocrity argument seriously”, as if it’s the only horse in the race. It isn’t.

• 17 davetoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM

@Ibiza. usually they install a trojan virus on your computer to steal passwords for online banking and your personal details

• 18 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Is anyone else experiencing a hell of a lag when typing comments.

It’s so bad some days I just give it up as a bad job.

I have to triple check at times to make sure I’m not typing total nonsense.

Although that statement for me is a bit of an oxymoron!

• 19 beermonkey // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Howdy sir how are u

U don’t really think fat will spend big on carrol again he is on big money at west ham how many games has he play in the last 2 3 seasons unless you can get him for next to nowt he ain’t worth as he struggles to stay fit

• 20 firebug666 // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Essex @18

I have the same problems sometimes, hence I don’t post so much anymore.

Sometimes by the time my post appears, the topic has moved on.

• 21 Jib // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Of the 3 goalies linked with us.

Stéphane Ruffier of St. Eteinne has cooled his ardour for a move to the PL

Victor Valdes is going to Espanyol (I thought he wanted to stay in England !)

Salvatore Sirigu looks like he may be going to Milan.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Ah Jib, the all knowing living almanac of footy knowledge, still waiting for your reasoning behind thinking Mclaren should be allowed a continous run of 12th place finishes and miserable cup runs. You haven’t got one right, you just said it to antogonise I guess !

• 23 santon3 // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM

I think Elliot is better GK than Krul.
    I would love to see Woodman for one or two games, who knows we probably have English version of Gianluigi Donnarumma of AC Milan (16yrs old), he has done amazing job and could be next Buffon.

I don’t mind getting Sirigu, he is good GK. Good enough to play for Italy, has to be good enough for any premier league teams. I don’t think his salary is too high for us, GK don’t get paid as much as other positions.

• 24 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Beermonkey…Hey mate, all good with me. Just finishing up work for the year in Ibiza – Not stressed about meeting my Tuesday departure deadline – not one bit 🙂 How’s tricks with you?

No, I don’t really believe that story for a second. Unless Sam knows something we don’t know, i.e. He can be got cheaply, I can’t see it.

Dave…Could this Trojan be the horse Ashley is looking for? I’m willing to take the risk…

Essex…I’ve been having problems getting the blog to load using firefox the past week, so have reverted to Chrome where it’s working fine, with no lagging. No idea what the issue is.

• 25 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Regarding my post last night. So, I must have been halucinating when I’ve read people saying getting relegated would be preferable, because it might get rid of Ashley? Not that Ashley has ever said he would leave if we went down. Have any of you ever read the comments section in the Chronical? Or the Mag? Are you saying some of those idiots don’t want us to fail under Ashley. And jail, so defensive? So now YOU speak for all the anti Ashley mob do you? On what grounds? What authority? Do you know them all? That works both ways, you know?

• 26 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Bobby…Firstly, may I enquire as to whether you received your results / diagnosis yet?

Secondly, clearly our last discussion on here didn’t go well, where do we sit, am I allowed to comment on that post without it being an issue? I really am not looking for an argument, but am happy to discuss things with you.

• 27 Rotonda heights // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM

poor old jib, as socially inadequate and awkward as ever.

• 28 santon3 // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:14 PM

that is just some idiots calling themselvs fans or true fans or whatever fans. bunch of dumb@sses trying to be smart with whatever theory they can come up with.

• 29 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Ibiza, no, I’m still waiting on my ‘urgent’ MRI scan to come through. This is a free blog mate, you can do what you want.

• 30 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Santon, I know that. You know that. So why am I in the wrong for pointing it out? There are 100% definitely some fans who want us to fail under Ashley. To argue against that is pointless.

• 31 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Bobby…Sounds about right, hopefully you get some good news soon. Good job they consider it urgent!

Are you still reading lots of comments about fans wanting relegation? I know there were quite a few last season, I was one of them. Sure there will be some this season, but I struggle to believe its anything near “too many don’t want him to succeed” unless some is too many, at the current moment of time.

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Having fans who want us to be relegated now under Ashley to get rid of him is a completely different topic to whether those same fans would be happy if we won a trophy under Ashley. To win a trophy Ashley would have to change what he has been doing over his entire tenure here and show some ambition and drive the team forward.

I’m not sure pointing out that some fans want us relegated to be rid of Ashley has any real bearing on whether they would be happy winning a trophy under Ashley.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Sort of repeated myself in that last post…. I blame it being too hot to be in the office and having no electricity to power the fan…..

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Jail and Mag52 are two of Ashley’s bigger critics on the blog, and they both say they would be happy if we won a trophy under him.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Bobby / Santon…Because, imo, you misrepresent the feelings and thoughts of those people you seem to claim to understand 100%.

At best, the wording of your posts appears to group people together, which I’m sure you’re aware is dangerous territory (that too is a two way street).

Imo discussing that is not pointless, it should create an understanding and somewhat more of a level playing field for those with opposing views.

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Also, nobody said you were in the wrong for saying it, people just don’t agree. People don’t on blogs, no need to get on the defensive. It certainly isn’t 100% fact, so surely there is room for discussion if it?

• 37 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Lil, isn’t that what he’s trying to do? Would you argue that he hasn’t made changes for the better this season? He’s finally making an effort. What’s wrong with That? About time too imo. I’m not pro Ashley or anti Ashley. I have hated him in the past, but i can see now he’s making an effort, so i can appreciate that too.
    Ibiza, you say you don’t want an argument, then make a provocative comment like ‘i get the feeling you don’t think this is a free blog’. That’s the reason I don’t wish to take it further. You are looking for a row or you wouldn’t try to wind me up like that. Go and make sandcastles whilst I discuss this with the grown ups eh?

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Yeah, he is making an effort. I would say it isn’t a huge step forward, more should have been done in the summer, and as they said top 8 and a decent till at the cup were the aims, will there be repercussions if we don’t achieve either? If there were, and we continue to build over a further 18 months then I think we can say that there has been change. At the moment, I’d say that the jury is still out really. Ashley hasn’t stepped back, as Paul Simpson stated last week, he still has the final say, the board is the same people plus McClaren who were in the corridors of power last season, and the football is still not great, although it has shown moments of improvement.

None of what you say there though backs up the asset ion that some fans won’t be happy if we won a cup. Fans are rightly sceptical, lets not fogey the 5 year plan that ended a year or so ago was for Champions league football. If we won a cup it would be through significant improvement and development, and I am fairly certain that most fans are willing to give credit for that, and would be happy should that happen.

Those who last season and this wish relegation on the club is because they don’t believe he will change, and feel that would be the best way to be rid of him. I don’t personally agree with that, but that is a discussion for another day.

• 39 martoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Bobbybee @29 – I recently needed an MRI scan and got one within about 2 weeks so I’d chase it up if I were you!

• 40 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Bobby…With all due respect, you don’t get me, nor understand me, so please stop asserting that you do.

It seems a shame that we can’t debate an issue, but if that’s your stance, then I shall respect that.

For the avoidance of doubt though, what I said was:

“I wont dig up too much from the past, but I certainly wasn’t left with the impression you felt this was a free blog.”

Wasn’t – Past tense.

Also, there really is no need to be condescending.

Wish you well.

• 41 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM

What i said was ‘too many don’t want him to succeed (there are those fans and it’s pointless to try and deny it) but that means wanting Newcastle to fail and I can’t go with that’. Notice i say ‘I can’t’, because that’s my stance. What i’m saying is i don’t care who we win a trophy under, as long as we win something. Jimmy had no problem understanding that. I’m 58 and have never seen us win a domestic trophy, so if we win one under Ashley, that’ll do me fine. Nobody is bunching anybody together in that statement. Do i say everybody who wants Ashley out doesn’t want us to win a trophy? Please, feel free to point out where I do. You ‘re making things up that simply aren’t there.

• 42 BandB // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Bobby bee

I might be regarded as being a critic of Newcastle United club policy. I am sceptical as to whether it has changed sufficiently to make an eighth place finish and a cup a likely outcome in any time frame. It’s easy enough to express vague aspirations when under pressure. I want to go to the moon. I’m not actively doing anything about it.
    I would like to see us win a cup under Ashley. Obviously I would then change my opinion. Nor do I ever want to see us relegated, and have never said so. Not even last season.
    So if I am on your list of none grown-ups, I’d be grateful if you would take me off it.
    I thought you weren’t going to lose your rag anymore. I presume your trawling for people to say “no Bobby, you never do” and the less than a handful of grown-ups who obliged had the desired effect of “convincing” you you’d been wrong to apologise.

• 43 santon3 // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:57 PM

don’t really care how dangerous, I usually ignore those kind of people. No point arguing, there’s no end to it.

Being relegated once is enough no need for another for whatever reason.
    Whoever own this club, they will find something to moan about, they will find any flaws/mistakes of people in the club as if they were perfect being.

I’m off.

• 44 John Tudor // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:58 PM

can i go on the list

• 45 santon3 // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Good luck with MRI, Bobby.

• 46 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Martoon, trust me mate, i chase them up every day. . Was it a full body scan? Maybe that might be the difference but I wish they’d hurry up.
    Ibiza. No, I don’t get you. You know nothing about what’s being said over here, but pretend you do. If you want a discussion, you don’t say ‘i don’t want to drag up the past, then immediately do so with a provacative comment.

• 47 AncientC // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM

I am not sure I would be ready to hail Ashley and sound the trumpets if we somehow scraped by and won the FA or Capital 1 cup, a competition treated with contempt by most competitive sides that only start to play their strongest teams in the latter stages.

Would anybody else be happy trundling along finishing between 10th and 17th, whilst finally winning (what some deem mickey mouse) a cup for the first time in a blue moon.

I am not sure why there is a discussion on an imaginary outcome in which Ashley should deserve credit anyway. In this imaginary outcome those who did not give Ashley credit were “miserable so & so’s” lol okay.

Perhaps when Ashley starts paying for advertising, spends in sequential windows, becomes more ambitious, thinks about a future to extend St. James’ Park and have it keep its name, instead of the name being currently being leased to Wonga – with God know’s who next to buy the naming rights… Perhaps then Ashley will be deserving of some credit.

Has Ashley changed his ways? He has recruited more than usual in the summer, didn’t he do the same thing the last time the club was in relegation form. Hardly a change of club policy, yet…

Dreaming of success under Ashley is all good & well, but reality shows an owner that relegated a huge club and has skirted with the prospect ever since – apart from that one season we over achieved that is.

• 48 bettyswallocks // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM

It has been so long since we had a consistent , competetive team that we have all been conditioned into a cynical mistrusting bunch.

To have a glimmer of hope that things may be improving and looking forward to the match rather than dreading the inevitable boring Shyte we have had for years can only be a step in the right direction.

Whether we ever do become a Competetive force any time soon depends on more than just Ashley spending some money, the coaches and players also have a say.

As Leicester have shown it can be done without huge spending.

• 49 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Santon…Then that is your choice.

Forbid the idea that we might try and understand the ideas of others before dismissing them.

On relegation, whilst I fully understand it’s not desirable, and whilst there is a good case to be made that there were no guarantees that last time we would get automatic promotion at the first attempt, I remember very well how the experience brought club and fans closer together.

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM

You accuse me of being defensive, I’m just putting out my opinion that suggests a vast majority would want to see successs no matter who was running the club. I obviously don’t know the thoughts of every anti Ashley fan I’m just assuming that would be the rational view point

• 51 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Bobby…Honestly, it’s okay. You don’t see me as worthy of discussion, then stop talking to me.

I was not and am not looking to argue with you. Am I perfect? No. I will make mistakes from time to time.

• 52 AncientC // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:11 PM

It is not outside the realms of possibility that we could have won the Europa league. I recall we were on top, then Santon making a terrible back-pass which handed the game to Benfica. Had we got Chelsea in the final, who knows… we had a knack for beating them under Pardew.

Had we won the Europa cup, would we would lauding Ashley now? One Cup win, and get behind him for the 10 years whilst he carries on his usual practises?

1 cup is worthy trade up for mediocrity, how many years exactly…

• 53 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:12 PM

BandB, why on earth would you be on any list of mine? Where, anywhere in my post have I even mentioned your name, let alone said you are one who doesn’t want us to win anything? In fact, I don’t mention any names, so why people are so defensive about themselves I have no idea. Maybe they do? Have you even read what I wrote. Not many appear to have read it properly, that’s for sure.

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM

I’m on my phone so can’t be to bothered about reading back but from memory you gave your usual spiel about hating Ashley but now he’s fulfilled his part of the bargain you’re willing to give him a chance, but there are some people that don’t want to see him succeed so thateans wanting Newcadtle to fail.
    Of course there will be some, Toonbotherer wants us to concede fove every time Collocini plays, the way you set your post out implied there was loads of people that want us to fail

• 55 bettyswallocks // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:22 PM

The reason to support a football team is surely to hope that they win matches.

To hope that they lose to expedite the sacking of a manager who is never going to achieve success is maybe justified , but as a long term mindset and hoping for relegation because we hate the owner and it might make him leave is totally unacceptable imho.

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Only because there’d be no guarantees he’d go is all !

• 57 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM

hell, ill name my next son “mike” if we win a cup…

lucky for me the wife wants nothing to do with another child lol…

• 58 dok - the horrid colonial // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:27 PM

or a future daughter Ashley even lmao…

stupid caffeine in my coffee…

• 59 BandB // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:29 PM

I’m seeing a pattern of behaviour with you.
    The intemperate aggression.
    Then the “that’s not the real me, I was off my head, man.”
    Then the apologies.
    Then the seeking affirmation for our conduct from our friends.
    Then the renewed sense of justification.
    And then the renewed onslaught.
    I don’t shrink from a fight myself, but no-one makes the veins in my temple bulge and my fists clench. I sometimes make mistakes and then I apologise.
    I don’t suggest it wasn’t me wot done it.

• 60 bettyswallocks // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Jail……. That’s right . He isn’t the type of guy to do the honourable or obvious thing.

His unpredictability will stay with him whatever happens be it good or bad.

• 61 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Jail, you’re on the nail. It would be a rational thought that the majority wouldn’t care if we won under Ashley, which bizarrely was my point. But there are still so called fans that would like to see us relegated under the crazy notion that it might get rid of Ashley, when nothing he has ever said has suggested he would leave if we did go down. Surely you must have heard the same yourself? All I was saying was I can’t go with that. Not one single owner in my lifetime has won us a domestic trophy, so he’s no exception. It’s ok for people who don’t even go to games to wish relegation on us, but it’s not for the fans who go. I don’t ever want to see us play Championship football again. As for the comment someone made that it pulled us together more; what a load of tosh. We started off with crowds under 40k and – surprise surprise – only filled the ground again properly when it looked like we might win the league. No real Newcastle fan should ever want us to be relegated, because next time we might not be so lucky and just keep dropping. But then, no real Newcastle does, do they?

• 62 AncientC // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:33 PM

I doubt myself that relegation would get rid of Ashley myself.

It was reported that since our last relegation, that new players contracts are structured in a way, in that players get less money if the club goes down.

Ashley has not thrown all in his chips in and gambled against relegation, he has gambled on the possibility of the club going down; Mike has insulated himself and is ready for the Championship.

From what I can tell, Ashley makes calculated gambles, paying the minimal to keep the side up. Essentially we got 3 players in the summer… Thauvin looks more like just a way to get rid of Cabella and was financially motivated, nothing to do with bettering the side. 3 senior players into a side with the worst form in the league, is it any wonder we are not blazing a trail of fire up the league.

• 63 BandB // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:39 PM

I think one of the few people who IS prepared to countenance relegation, it is Ashley himself.
    As he showed last season when we stayed up on the very last roll of the dice.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Bobby…Hopefully not a complete waste of my time. I’ve set your post out below to try and avoid any misinterpretation and responded point by point with my opinion. I do hope there is nothing in there that will cause upset or distress to you, or that it appears childish.

Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 2:07 AM
    “Jimmy, the only way we’ll find out is wait and see. I had nothing but contempt for Ashley for years, but if he can genuinely change and follow through on this first installment, then I can change my view just as easily. It’s all about success.”
    I agree Bobby.
    “Too many don’t want him to succeed because of his past failures, but that means not wanting Newcastle to succeed and I can’t go with that.”
    I disagree Bobby, well I think I do. What do you mean by “too many”? In my opinion, people oppose Ashley because they feel he stands in the way of Newcastle being able to succeed.
    “I genuinely don’t care if he’s the one to win us a domestic trophy, as long as we win something.”
    I agree Bobby.
    “Like your good self, I’ve been going my whole life and yet to see us win anything on the domestic front.”
    Clearly doesn’t apply to me, so I shall not comment.
    “I’ll never be best buddies with Ashley, but if he means what he says and puts his money where his mouth is, then why would I continue to hate the man?”
    It would be silly to do so, I think we’re in agreement there. I ask though, who has said they will continue to hate him if he does change things around to make you make such a point? Possibly no biggy, just talking out loud, rather than meaning anything else.
    “There’s been visible changes and all for the better this season.”
    There have been some. In my opinion, some of them are nothing more than hollow words to placate fans- my view on that can change though.
    “It won’t happen overnight, it will take time, but now he’s finally putting money into the playing side of the club, I don’t want him out.”
    Agreed it won’t happen overnight. I do think the majority have said as much too. That is a fine conclusion for you, others want to see what follows before changing their stance on Ashley – that doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t, just that they’re at a different stage from you.
    “As proven with Pardew, change doesn’t guarantee success. All I’ve ever wanted is to see my club win something and if it’s under Ashley, I really couldn’t care less.”
    I’ll assume you didn’t mean to suggest that because the club allowed JC to take over from AP, that is some sort of justification that change is a bad thing. Most people accept there are risks involved with change, they could be for the better, they could be for the worse. Just sticking with something that isn’t working because change doesn’t guarantee anything also doesn’t guarantee anything, usually it guarantees more of the same. Much like there are no guarantees that because Ashley has decided to relax the way the club spends its money, that will bring more success. I think you speak for most fans when you say “All I’ve ever wanted is to see my club win something and if it’s under Ashley, I really couldn’t care less.” – Which is the point some of us have been trying to make to you today, in our opinion, most people share your views on this subject, it’s your earlier “too many” which has thrown up the curve ball, for me anyway.

• 65 Bobbybee // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM

BandB, you don’t know me, so don’t even pretend you do. You’re attempt at psychology is risible at best. I apologised because I thought I might have gone ott. This time is nothing like that. I made a comment and some people have taken it out of context completely. I’ll defend my corner how I see fit and need nobody’s permission to do so. Certainly not yours. Maybe some should go back and read what I actually said. Let me put it simply so everybody gets it. There are still fans – undeniable fact – that would like to see us relegated. I don’t agree with them. That’s it in a nutshell. I don’t question for one second that they’d be happy if we won something, but that’s a different issue completely. The stay away fans now will be back in a flash, because like it or not, we have our own fair weather fans. All clubs have them. Luckily, we have more loyal fans than most clubs, but that’s just how it is. I never once said what i am being accused of – that anti Ashley fans wouldn’t want us to win a cup. Feel free to point out where I do.

• 66 BandB // Nov 19, 2015 at 1:56 PM

You are angry at “them”.
    The nameless, faceless hordes at the door you imagine in your head.
    I think I understand you pretty well.

previous post: Fact – Newcastle Are A Bottom Ten Side In Premier League