The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle At A Tipping Point But Good Things Happening

7:54 am, Thursday, November 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Newcastle have not made a good start to the season even though we spent some big money in the summer transfer window, but hopefully things are starting to get better and in our last four games we have gained 7 of the ten points we have after 12 games played in the Premier League.

We seem to be at a tipping point at the moment and if we can keep winning games we should be able to pull away from being 4th bottom of the league, otherwise we could be in for another fight against relegation – and that wouldn´t be good.

That´s not part of the plan for this season.

steve mcclaren on trianing filed

Steve McClaren – we´re turning things around

This is what Steve McClaren has said about Newcastle’s current predicament:

“We feel like we’re turning a big ship, really, in terms of we’re trying to turn things around – and it’s slow.”

“It’s slow, but you can see it. I can see it; I see it every day.” “They’re a good bunch of players, they’ve got good talent, and they work hard.”

“We’re turning it around. I’m seeing good things. It’s a big job.

“It’s going to take a while to turn it around – some people say a ‘transition’ and all this and all that – but I think the first 90 days are key.”

“We’ve been trying a lot of things in those first 90 days, and I think, in the last four or five weeks, we’ve settled.”

“The international windows have been good for us,” “We’ve looked, reviewed, settled.”

“After the last one we looked and said ‘right, Chelsea and Man City … we looked at the team for those two games and we’ve seen enough’.”

“We’ve stuck with that since and we’ve settled down. Before people didn’t know the pecking order, but now they roughly know, and we all roughly know, what the team’s going to be bar one or two.”

Steve´s naturally trying to out a good spin on things and we really do hope things will get better soon.

We have a tough game on Saturday against Leicester City and if we lose that to a side who are currently 3rd top of the league we may sink back into the bottom three again and that wouldn´t be good.

On the other hand, a win could see us climb the league table.

We´re at a tipping point and the seven games we have before the end of this year will be absolutely crucial.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Leicester?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Nov 19, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Mister Tuff // Nov 19, 2015 at 7:55 AM

The three window plan is clearly three windows and NOT three years. It means last summer, January and next summer.
    Quote from Wally :-
    “I have came in and looked at the plan and looked at the calibre of players (targets) and said ‘Wow!’ We’ve expressed our objectives. Mike Ashley said; ‘Go on, fulfil it’.

“We have talked a lot about the next three windows being huge, massive, for us. In a year’s time, after our third transfer window, we should have a damn good team, that’s purely because we are looking at players above a certain bracket.”

Reference to “a years time” encapsulates consecutive windows NOT consecutive summer windows. Wallys got a three and a bit years contract – he’s not wanting to have a decent first eleven six months before his contract is up.

I therefore think it’s clear there will be millions spent in January.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Six shots six goals against Norwich, a 0-0 draw at home to Stoke albeit unlucky, a bad refereeing decision and an idiotic captain against the mackems and one of the luckiest wins of the season down at newly promoted and first ever time in the top flight Bournemouth, tipping point mmmm

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Yeah, I’ve seen the quotes, I just don’t see it happening in January. Not to a level that is required, and not with only a few arrivals last summer. We would need to bring in another 4 of the same high quality in Jan, and then probably 4 or 5 more plus strengthening the development in the summer.

If we don’t do 4 in Jan we are looking at around 8 high end players next summer, and I have huge doubts as to whether we have the personnel to achieve that in positions of power.

Who do you think we can get in Jan that will raise us to ‘top 8’ standard? Which top players would want to leave their clubs who are competing in Europe or at the top end of their own leagues to join a relegation battle in Jan? Unless we win 5 matches in our run up to Jan, our options will be severely limited.

The ronny was reporting they were formulating a ‘plan b’ for January of lower calibre players to keep us up if we are in a poor position and can’t get our targets in Jan. If we resort to plan b, then the entire 3 window theory is over.

I’d love them to prove me wrong on this, but as I said when the summer window closed, we didn’t do enough then to really make it a realistic target.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Unfortunately Mister Tuff, when Mikey steps up from his back seat for five minutes in January and thinks we’ll make it till May with the purse closed then we’ll have all of the apologists screaming they meant three summer windows as we never do business in January, (unless it suits us). The above quotations will be ignored, twisted and the new era will roll monotonously along, this new era seems to have erased all memories of the last five year plan that would see us in the CL where as the reality has been finally exposed that within that plan they didn’t even want to win a cup or finish higher then seventh. Go figure !

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:14 AM

There or those that think the Ashley Out Mob/crew/shower/gang/rabble do not want success under him, I can’t think of anything more ludicrous, why would we not, we thought the sun shone out of his ar$e when he first turned up, it is his callous view of the way a club should be ran that has caused this enmity to exist, if he were to find a happy medium I think the vast majority would welcome any kind of success. I really hope we buy all that is needed in January and we have a great second half of the season, if we don’t it will be interesting to see how Macca deals with being hung out to dry or will his reaction tell us he knew all along.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:15 AM

*Their are

• 7 Mister Tuff // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Lilo – got no idea who will be on the purchase list – probably looking at it the other way around – there’ll be nobody to oust Colocinni – summer a different story.
    If we’d got off to a flying start – new additions in January -would not really cause panic – but time date now there is a chance we could have a very poor points haul – and therefore panic buying could happen. Conversely plenty of points would lead to measured purchases of a higher calibre players – two or three – and similar buys in the summer – including Colos replacement.
    The poor start to me has somewhat surprised the hierarchy who I think though we’d be doing better at this stage in the season.
    Old habits of making crap offers to people might be a problem but as I’ve said before I think Wally has a bit more say compared to the King.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:19 AM

We should have had Alli tied up long before Spurs even approached MK Dons though. I said at the start of that post that all things been equal then I have no issues with a player choosing another club.

As for Spurs other signings who have flopped, I’d be interested to know which ones you think have? Soldado and Chichires over the last couple of years. Could say Capoue, but they made their money back on him. Stambouli, but again they sold on at a profit.

Young British signings, Holtby (trebled their money when sold) then there is Dier, Alli, Trippier and Davies who would all improve our squad, and would probably all be part of our first 11 – Trippier the exception up against Janmaat, although that is open for debate.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Having said all that, I’m not interested in getting into a debate on Spurs transfer policy. It is safe to say it has been proven better than ours over the Mike Ashley era though. When he took over both clubs were in very similar positions on and off the field.

• 10 Mister Tuff // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:21 AM

lilo – their idea of not being able to accommodate nearly a full team in one window – is not necessarily true – viz Leicester/ Watford.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:26 AM

As you are aware, I was a supporter of the plan that Mike Ashley had in place for the club, we argued on that a few times. My problem was the implementation of it, and I felt I gave him enough opportunities to appoint the correct people to implement it, and he never did. Now, I am hugely sceptical he will, or even wants to and it will take time to prove he does. I would like nothing more than for him to show he has learnt and can operate his model successfully.

I’d love a trophy, but even more I’d love to be able to look back on a season and be proud of my/our club on and off the field.

There might be one or two who would begrudge Ashley any success but I doubt it. It is ludicrous to suggest, and I did find it a bit odd that Bobby mentioned it in his post.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM

It is all speculation, I have my doubts the players that are of the requisite quality would want to join us in January without being given higher financial packages. If we just sign lower table/mid table scrappers as that is all who will come, and that is what will pull us away then it leaves us in a position again in the summer of players who aren’t up to it taking up space.

As for the large squad overhauls, yeah, some teams proved otherwise. I think it can be true to a point, but one or two more in the summer wouldn’t have tipped the balance here, and lets face it, we should have done ore to clear out – releasing a few of the deadwood.

It isn’t like the attitudes of last season were going to be of benefit this year and additional signings would do no less damage then carrying the same squad mentality and flaws through another 6months to a year.

• 13 Sav // Nov 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I find it hard to understand what Macca is saying. He seems to be back in his Dutch interview pidgin English mode and incapable of finishing a sentence. God knows what our foreign contingent make of it.

• 14 robertsleftfoot // Nov 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I am not convinced it is Ashley who keeps hold of the purse strings as stringently as people think, Charnley seems to play hard ball with all signings and thats the transfer fee, agent fees, wages, bonus payments.

So could it be a case that actually Charnley is saying everything is fine we dont need to make any changes. with that is mind Graham Carr seems to search out the vest deals for Newcastle so is he also saying wait until the summer and we will get him £2mill cheaper, he has less than a year on his contract.

I blame MA for lots of things which have gone wrong at Newcastle and some may say it is his fault if he hasnt got a handle on Charnley and Carr but is he just the money and leaving them to run it for him?? I think so.

previous post: Leicester City An Example To Newcastle On What’s Possible