The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Midfielder Going Nowhere In January

8:21 am, Thursday, November 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

There has been speculation all year on the future of Cheick Tiote and whether he has a future at Newcastle.

The Ivorian has just forced his way back into the Newcastle first team with the injury to Jack Colback and we are hoping he can play well for us – maybe somewhere near his best form.

If Newcastle are going to climb the league table, that´s what we need to see from the 29 year-old 53 times capped Ivory Coast International.

cheick tiote southampton ayg 2015

Cheick Tiote in action against Southampton

This is what Cheick has told the Chronicle today when asked about his future:

“I don’t know, because for the moment, we need to try to focus on being higher in the table.”

“We have been at the bottom for a long time. We need to do everything to look forward. We need to work every day in training and try to win some games.”

“Sometimes we need some luck. We have played well in the last few games but we don’t have chances to score.”

“We are happy for the fans. They had a very long trip and we sent them home happy.”

We´d be very surprised if Cheick goes anywhere in January, but it´s possible he could be sold in the summer when he has just one year left on his contract.

But Cheick is right to be concentrating on his game right now and not thinking too much about his immediate future and that´s what we need every Newcastle player to be doing.

Cheick was linked with a move to MLS club the New England Revolution only yesterday.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · International break · International News · Newcastle News · Premier League

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toonfan8 // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:31 AM

we dont need to panick and bring panick buys. we have to go according to plan. This 10 points are really bellow expectations, but why we did go to USA tour? I think if we didnt go there, we should minimum have 4-5 more than we have now. We can´t afford these types of mistakes again, I feel McClaren has a clear plan, he knows what he wants to do, so let him do his job. We need to bring 2-3 high quality players this january transfer window, it will give everybody great boost…

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:26 AM

As you are aware, I was a supporter of the plan that Mike Ashley had in place for the club, we argued on that a few times. My problem was the implementation of it, and I felt I gave him enough opportunities to appoint the correct people to implement it, and he never did. Now, I am hugely sceptical he will, or even wants to and it will take time to prove he does. I would like nothing more than for him to show he has learnt and can operate his model successfully.

I’d love a trophy, but even more I’d love to be able to look back on a season and be proud of my/our club on and off the field.

There might be one or two who would begrudge Ashley any success but I doubt it. It is ludicrous to suggest, and I did find it a bit odd that Bobby mentioned it in his post.

12Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM

It is all speculation, I have my doubts the players that are of the requisite quality would want to join us in January without being given higher financial packages. If we just sign lower table/mid table scrappers as that is all who will come, and that is what will pull us away then it leaves us in a position again in the summer of players who aren’t up to it taking up space.

As for the large squad overhauls, yeah, some teams proved otherwise. I think it can be true to a point, but one or two more in the summer wouldn’t have tipped the balance here, and lets face it, we should have done ore to clear out – releasing a few of the deadwood.

It isn’t like the attitudes of last season were going to be of benefit this year and additional signings would do no less damage then carrying the same squad mentality and flaws through another 6months to a year.

• 3 Mag52 // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Anyone begrudging Ashley any success at NUFC would have to be a curmudgeonly old so and so.
    He would probably get a statue in his honour, if they could find enough bronze to make one.
    Why doesn’t he give it a serious go ? Goodness knows.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Couldn’t agree more on this mornings discussion.

Would be delighted to see Ashley turn things around and prove a success. That was and always will be the main priority.

Lil…Spurs really is a good benchmark to look at Ashleys time at NUFC. It doesn’t look good, but then I think most people accept that now.

Either way, January will be an interesting time. As I said in the summer, I don’t think the club really did enough, although there was a shift in the policy. If that can continue in a positive manner and if they appear to actually address our insufficiencies, rather than just who is available cheaper at the time, then bit by bit some balance can be restored.

The vague plan, timeline and general impression of where responsibilities lie doesn’t fill me with much confidence though.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Not sure on the statue, but I agree it would take someone pretty miserable to not give any credit.

I think they were misguided in setting a timeline. I think as long as most fans see progress on and off the field it would have been okay. By setting a timeline they made a rod for their own backs. Improving the first team, improvements in development and the coaching, and building on each window on window would be enough for me. Plus reducing the number of injuries.

It will be Feb 2017 when I feel I can pass judgement that they have done this, that they haven’t could easily be shown this Jan. Always easier to be negative, particularly when over the past 8 years they have done so little to promote a positive environment.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Nov 19, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Lil…Are you referring to the original, or one of the subsequent timelines?

I think it would only be misguided if it wasn’t an honest one, which I think it’s clear was the case previously.

My point was more about creating proper clarity of our aims / objectives and how we aim to get there. Not the open ended, political spiel we usually get.

The end result is always the fans battling it our trying to figure out what they really meant.

I for one could have more faith going forward if the club would clear these sort of things up. Aren’t they preaching we should all be united? I fully agree, but they need to do their bit to.

previous post: Newcastle At A Tipping Point But Good Things Happening