The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sissoko – I Am Happy And I Can Flourish At Newcastle

11:15 pm, Monday, November 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

Moussa Sissoko has been interviewed by L´Equipe and the French International told them he was happy to be at Newcastle even if our results are poor at the moment and he also thinks he can flourish on Tyneside.

The 26 year-old also said that his family were very proud that he was playing in the Premier League at such a high level.

Moussa Sissoko portland Newcastle+United+v+Portland+XcWeK5g3Jz4l

Moussa Sissoko in action at Newcastle

This is what Moussa has said and he seems to be fairly positive even though we are precariously placed in 4th bottom place in the Premier League:

“I am happy to be at this club. Even if the results are not great at the moment, it is a club where I can flourish and where I have a lot of playing time.”

I am lucky to play in England. It is there where I have always wanted to play because it is in this league where I can flourish the most with my abilities.”

“My aim is to become a professional footballer. I got the chance to sign my professional contract and play very earlier. I have always had my family close to me. I try to enjoy that fully.”

My family is very proud to see me at this level. I came from a difficult place, so I hope and aspire to go further and higher.”

Moussa was playing in Paris a week last Friday evening in the game against Germany when the terrible terrorist attacks were carried out in Paris.

We wouldn´t be too surprised if that affected Moussa´s form on Saturday against Leicester City when we were hammered 3-0.

But the terrorist attacks have made all of us thankful for what we have – and that includes Moussa.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Premier League

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 Munster Mag // Nov 23, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Oh dear, I said I expected Sam to keep the makems up, but not to start winning so soon. This is not good news.

• 2 peterk3 // Nov 23, 2015 at 11:47 PM

The Makems won because they wanted it. They chased every ball and bust a gut to get a result. We are gutless with unfit players wo don’t care. What is McLaren and Cathroe doing on the training pitch?

• 3 banjax // Nov 23, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Liverpool, Leicester, West Ham. Just three examples of how new managers have had an instant winning effect on their players. Steve McLaren is not one of those charismatic managers and that is why he must go. We will be bottom of the Premiership by Xmas if Charnley and McLaren do go soon. Are you listening Mike Ashley ?

• 4 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:23 AM

You name three wins in two years. None of them was an easy win. I bet you and Jib are climate change deniers too.

• 5 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Just watched the highlights on Motd. How embarrassing was Colo the clown? Pathetic. That second goal sums up what I’ve been saying. He gets drawn to the ball, ball watches and hasn’t a scooby what’s going on behind him. Because he drifts out, the next man drifts over and then the next.

It doesn’t excuse Janmaat who is an absolute liability most weeks. I can’t believe how so many bloggers rave about him. Even his attacking play is generally a let down, frewuently failing to deliver a telling ball from good positions.

I’ve just listrned to Makro on about getting on the training ground. These are the same problems week in week out. If he’s managed to identify them, he clearly hasn’t a clue how to fix them. Out of his depth. Insiders say he’s lost some of the players.

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:41 AM

That third goal. The kid missed his header completely and still had time to score. What a pathetic, embarrassing goal to concede and what an indictment of Costco. Some of you may be impressed with the boy but it looks to me as if the players have no confidence in him. He looks like an uninspiring kid who’s never done anything as a player.

• 7 Toon-Prodigy // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:53 AM

Wow! Sissoko saying he is happy at the Toon. Bless him.

• 8 lesh // Nov 24, 2015 at 2:10 AM

Wonder what’s changed his tune?

Mmmm, I wonder if PSG might not be an attractive proposition these days? Just a thought.

• 9 FMTOON30 // Nov 24, 2015 at 2:54 AM

I have a general belief that Sissoko is wasted on the wing.

Secondly, I am very disappointed with the lack of progress under Mac. I expected after Norwich that we would kick on after a tough start. Defensively we are terrible and there is no attacking midfielder that can dictate play from deep.

I am usually positive but I firmly believe we need to make a change and make one before January. Rumour in Italy mentions Seedorf, personally I think De Boer, Moyes or Rodgers are the main men. If we have to play hoofball against United or City, then I dont care as long as it gets a strong performance and a point. I am tired of watching our defensive issues consistently bring us down. With exception of a few games, at least Pardew made us strong at the back. It wasnt always flowing but it worked! It might be time for us to let go of the past, accept that to be competitive and a top 8 side, we need to be defensively strong. Play 5 at the back, I dont care, just please stop the embarrassment!!!

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:24 AM

Mornings…I am not even sure I would be in a frame of mind to play just after that episode in Paris if I were a part of that game!

…I think alot thoughts are processing through the mind mind of any footballer right now!

Maybe it’s a wakeup call for many…

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:31 AM

Speaking about Paris. The missus and I have talked about going back to Paris (vacationing) twice now since we have kids.

First time was just before the terror attack on that newspaper not long ago. We only had one kid at the time, but that vacation was scraped!

We have just planing it again now that we have two kids and that trip is most definitely off again!

I even lived in London close to the time of the Underground bombings and was there on 9/11!

• 12 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:32 AM

That was just my thoughts this Tuesday morning!

• 13 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:33 AM

Morning Ron…

• 14 Ron Knee // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:38 AM

Morning jesper

So SAFC get a win. That’s put the cat among the pigeons!

I’ve watched a few of their matches this season and they can certainly summon more energy and commitment than we can. I don’t know why we seem so tentative and lethargic.

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:47 AM

An article in the Chronicle suggests we are looking at new managers. People like Moyes and Rodgers are banded around.

Surely that would be a continuing of what we have already? If we were to sack McClaren new ideas needs to taken in to consideration and the board needs to be disbanded.

That board was the biggest joke anyway! A slap in the face if you ask me.

• 16 Ron Knee // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:54 AM

But have you seen this new article from Lee Ryder?

“Early shouts for Newcastle to make moves for available managers like David Moyes or Brendan Rodgers can be deemed way off the mark at the moment, while United officials were probably mystified by talk of ex-AC Milan manager Clarence Seedorf being touted as a replacement for McClaren while he’s still just 13 games into the job.”

• 17 Ron Knee // Nov 24, 2015 at 5:56 AM

In other words, the usual complacency from our joke of a ‘Board’.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Nov 24, 2015 at 6:12 AM

Maybe it’s just mackems voting but a whopping 84% have lost faith in Mclaren. Pardew, Carver and now Mclaren, more often than not the players just give up, there is something causing thst mentality, could it be the bonus scheme, when they start to realise it’s out of their reach they just hhrow the towel in. Just a thought !

• 19 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 6:18 AM

Ron…I read that! I suppose ignorance in bliss…for awhile at least 😉

Not advocating anything but when the 14th game has been played this coming weekend 3 of the bottom 4 teams are most likely going to be relegated!

…if you believe in stats!

• 20 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 6:24 AM

Jail…usually in life an employer will only get back from his employee what he invest (not talking about money)!

…the board / owner have no real goals – they are all pro forma – and would really expect the players to show any desire then?

I am not saying the bonus scheme is not making matters worse…

• 21 firebug666 // Nov 24, 2015 at 6:44 AM

Morning world.

Personally I think that the bonus scheme the club uses could have an adverse effect.

Player may feel they don’t need the extra money, therefore they have nothing to play for.

On the other hand, some player may think along the lines of, why should I play my guts out so that bench warmers and fringe players can have a big pay day?

Not saying this is the reason we play so badly, but it could have an effect.

It might have been better to give the players a decent starting wage, and then make deductions if they play badly.

But at the end of the day I just don’t think this shower are capable of playing football to the standard required for the premiership.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:08 AM

firebug…deductions? 😀

…who in their right mind would sign such a contract? Not saying I don’t get where you are going…just!

Bonus scheme can be the carrot for some and the stick for others. Regardless…if they where paid better or even too good where’s the carrot then and would they really care about the stick?

• 23 cyprus // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:12 AM

Come on Sissoko.

It’s on players like you that we depend on to get us out of this. Even Sunderland can beat Palace – surely we can?

• 24 firebug666 // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Like I said mate, regardless of pay or bonuses, this shower just aren’t good enough for the premiership.

• 25 cyprus // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:15 AM

WBA beat Arsenal, City got spanked by a mid-table team.

This league has no results set in stone, so surely we can go into every game challenging for a win. The problem is we are strolling with a plenty of time attitude right now and that ain’t good at all. Every game is a cup final.

And forget about cups, we don’t have the depth.

• 26 firebug666 // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:25 AM

On our day I think we have the players who are capable of giving any team a good game, It’s just that the team seems disinterested in putting in any sort of effort.

When you cannot single out even one player who did well from a full team something is “badly” wrong.

There are whole lists of what those things could be, but the coaching staff need to get the mentality of these players sorted out first and foremost, otherwise they are trying to teach them algebra before the have learned to add up.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Sunderland showed how to do it by working hard, being organised and getting stuck in. Sadly for us, we would have to pick an 11 from our youth set up to guarantee a good level of commitment, work rate and effort. Still, Palace have only won 3 of their last 11 home games, so Selhurst park is far from a place to fear.

A lot will depend on whether McClaren decides that changes are required after seeing the same starting 11 perform so poorly twice in a row. Tiote will be an enforced change, which is a shame because we will miss him in there. He wouldn’t be bullied by Cabaye, whereas I haven’t got huge amounts of faith in the others to out fight and out play Cabaye.

I’d continue with Mitro, but only if we are going to change the system to give him support and service. If we aren’t then we might as well just crowd the midfield as neither he or Cisse (or 99% of centre forwards) will get regular goals without service. Swapping Mitro for Cisse and nothing else will not add anything.

I’m not generally a fan of 5 at the back, but I think it may be time to give it a chance. We have to stem the tide of goals flooding in somehow, and we have to resolve our issues of using players who aren’t wingers as wingers. Janmaat at right wing back and who knows at left wing back. Potentially Mbabu, but he is primarily a right back and despite having done well, we have seen this before on numerous occasions and the honeymoon playing out of position doesn’t last long.

Also, Mbabu being right footed won’t get down the line and whip balls in which is what we need from both flanks. Has anyone seen much of the young Ghanaian for the U21’s/18’s? Is he far enough along to be an option? Other then that how has Liam Gibson done this season, has he developed? 6ft plus left back who likes to get forward.

Lascelles, Colo and Mbemba the central defence trio, both Col and Mbemba need to step up. Out of interest, did anyone see Mbemba try and do exactly the same shoulder charge Colo did on Fletcher numerous times against Leicester and often in our box. He does it every game. This time though, both Vardy and Mahrez were stronger/more committed then him…..

Central midfield I think we have to give SDJ a chance. Thoroughly unimpressive so far for us, but who hasn’t been….. Anita, Gini and SDJ in there. Anita can cover the wing backs, Gini and SDJ need to get up and support the attackers – Perez, and I’d continue with Mitro.

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Just checked on Gibson, apparently he has been doing very well for the Under 21’s this year so we have loaned him to Gateshead……

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Sorry for post @25, that was a lot longer than I had planned on when I started typing.

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:39 AM

On our day we have comfortably players who are good enough to drag us up to mid table. Which begs the question why aren’t they? McClaren’s plan seems confused. Cathro is well known on the contingent for working with players to set up a high pressing high energy line up. Why don’t we see that here? Are the players really that incompetent?

I doubt it, something is wrong in the other aspects of training. I read Cathro is meant to be working with the defence, why? Is it because high pressing is a defensive mechanism, so he has been tasked with working with defenders? I mentioned this after I visited another academy in October, the head coach there knows Cathro well, and he was telling me there had been a falling out between Cathro and Simpson/Schoenmaker/McClaren. It took a while to be resolved apparently, but I just wonder if there isn’t lingering issues.

As for our fitness, we seem to be even worse then previous years. It was a risk bringing in Schoenmaker who had presided over the fitness of a team that had serious injury issues, and struggled in the second half of last season. Whatever he has done with fitness and conditioning clearly isn’t working.

I said in the summer that Cathro was the only coaching appointment I felt an upgrade. Black an addition, but is showing very little so far but Simpson and Schoenmaker were no better than what we had in Carver and Billows.

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM

*continent…… Not my day for typos…. there are others in there, but I’m sure you will get the gist…..

• 32 optimistic prime // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Has someone miss quoted Sissoko?

• 33 lochinvar // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM

If the Mackems having beaten us can win at Palace then clearly McLaren will know that our game there has some significance.

If Sissoko thinks Seedorf might arrive in toon no wonder he’s making happy noises , he wouldn’t be the only one.

If McLaren goes then Charnley has to go with him as it’s his decisions that seem to be flawed – a basic failure to understand the difference between a tat shop and a City’s iconic football club.

• 34 firebug666 // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM

I agree the backroom staff could have been so much better, but the club will always take the cheaper option over quality.

I didn’t know about the falling out with the staff, but it could explain a great deal.

At one point we did look like we were turning a corner, the players looked sharper and fitter for periods and I was expecting them to progress from there, unfortunately apart from a couple of game we seem to be going backward in terms of work rate and commitment.

Now according to Blackely McClaren has lost some of the players, and cliques are developing in the dressing room, could this be due to fallout from the bust up among the staff?

Whatever is going on it needs to be sorted, and that might require someone stepping in from the outside.

Still if it’s not problematic, then it’s just not Newcastle!

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM

“With exception of a few games, at least Pardew made us strong at the back.”

Really? A few games? 25% of our games were by defeats of 3 goals or more under Pardew. Look at the defensive figures during his tenure here, we were never solid defensively.

• 36 sparky55 // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:51 AM

The makems won it because they have a manager who knows how to set up a team to defend properly.

The Makems won it because they camped on the edge of the their own 18 yard box to stop all the pacey players in the Palace team from getting in behind them…something we should have done against Leicester instead of which we played a high line and played into their hands

The makems won it because they believe Fat Sam can save them.

We’re fcuked

• 37 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM

I wouldn’t play Mitro – looking at his body language and off field antics in Serbia – looks like his heed is somewhere else.
    He was SHITE on Saturday and should of been hooked after 20 minutes no movement, stood like a statue and spent more time watching where the opposition players and arguing with them or throwing a punch at Huth were watching the ball argued with.He is also very slow on brain to foot where to run anticipate where the pass is going/should be played

Felt sorry for Perez and Sissoko both slipped him in with passes but alas Mitro was on his heels/flatfooted – should have a look at Vardy on being on his toes on the move and not on his heels.

I would play Cisse looked sharp on Saturday -only ten minutes – still managed to get offside – but he could get at their defence as it looks as slow as ours

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 7:57 AM

I’m not convinced Seedorf is the answer. I’d much prefer someone with greater experience coming in. Both Favre and Bielsa are out of work. Carr should know who Bielsa is as he spent so much time watching Marseille over the last year or two.

Whether either would come is a totally different thing.

From Don Hutchison;
    “We’ve had a couple of recently-fired managers in over the last month or so and I’ve asked them about the situation at Newcastle. Would they fancy it if it came up? What do they make of the mess there at the moment? Their response has worried me.

Out-of-work managers would once have jumped at the chance to go to Newcastle. Now they’re looking at it and thinking, ‘Is it for me?’ I think the limitations – working for Mike Ashley, the size of the rebuilding job, the head coach title and the way things have gone for the last three managers have damaged the club’s reputation.”

I can tell you that the managers who come and work with Don on TV are not good managers. I watch them most weeks and I doubt many fans would want any of them. If that is the case, then what chance a Bielsa, a FDB, a Favre? Zero I’d say.

• 39 sing in the corner // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Here here (Makems’ game plan)
    Two big banks of 4 sitting behind the ball as soon as they lost possession. Nowt fancy when balls came in, just big lumps doing old no-frills boot it,punting it up to able and willing runners to pick up scraps. Eventually they got a soft goal. We can’t do what they did with our ponderous disinterested players when they’re in this mood. Motivation is needed, Don’t think that’s SM / Colo’s strong point. (what is?)

• 40 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:03 AM

There was one occasion in the first half at 0-0 where Mitro pulled off the shoulder making a great run, only for Sissoko to play the pass 5 yards behind him and out of play.

Most of the time the ball was lumped up to him with little support. Cisse would be/has been in the past just as poor with exactly the same sort of team performance. If strikers don’t get service, they are unlikely to score. Simple, the only decent ball in all match from open play by us came after Mitro had gone off, and Cisse completely ducked out of the way of it.

As for the comparison with Vardy, totally different style of player. Mitro wants service in to the box. If anything, Perez should be looking at Vardy and saying that is what I should be doing playing off Mitro, rather than leaving him isolated.

I agree, he was woeful on Saturday, but stick most strikers into his role in Saturday and they would look woeful. There was zero service, and at least when defending he is willing to put his body on the line, we would have been a goal down much earlier if it wasn’t for him flinging himself in to block it.

If we are to drop players for bad performances, then I’d say Mitro has a few in hand on a number of players who rarely look interested or of any use.

• 41 firebug666 // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:04 AM

A manager in the EPL needs to have control over his own destiny as well as that of the club, the way our club is run, a manager or rather head coach would have no confidence in building a team where his players can change from window to window without his control over who those players could be.

It’s difficult for any manager in the premier league, at Newcastle it’s nigh impossible.

• 42 sing in the corner // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:06 AM

You gotta love Don Hutchinson’s ‘insight’. And most other pundits really. I’d doubt there is a single Newcastle fan or half switched on neutral that couldn’t have told you that..

• 43 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Its not just his performance – it’s his couldn’t be bothered attitude – yes make a run and the ball does not go where you want it but for F**k sake don’t give up. As for Vardy and Perez play a totally different game. Vardy plays on the last defenders shoulder bit like Cisse who if playing should have a look at Vardy.
    By and by – don’t think any of the team actually sprinted on Saturday

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:17 AM

We see that same attitude from a number of people week in week out, hence my comment about him having a few games in hand on others if we are to drop players for it. Cisse has had plenty with the same attitude, couldn’t be to do with the style of play?

It is difficult to accuse just one player of giving up and excuse the rest. All bar Anita and Elliot could be accused of that. Even then, Anita became more and more ineffectual as the game wore on.

Yeah, Vardy and Perez play a different game. So do Mitro and Vardy. So do Vardy and Cisse for that matter. There is no direct comparison at the club. To get more from the team someone should be playing up on the last shoulder with Mitro. If we are to continually lump balls up to him like we did at the weekend there needs to be someone running off him and the last man. If that isn’t Perez then we need someone who will. Perez may have to fit in elsewhere.

• 45 optimistic prime // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Not one person at the club has a backbone, not in the team or coaching staff.

Players won’t point the finger at each other and the HC is to nice to drop players.

The closest thing to a Character in the dressing room looks to be Mitro but he looks like he could explode at any minute.

I’d take Nolan and Barton back NOW in a heart beat, we need a leader on and off the pitch. ATM there’s not one leader from board to pitch level, instead we drift aimlessly.

Ashley out.

• 46 cyprus // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM

True, it’s rare that you can’t single out a good player from a whole team.
    I really really don’t get it.
    Why can most teams put the pressure on, full force, at least for a few periods yet we can’t. It’s pathetic.

It has to be them coaches.

PS. Hate to single out, but: Those two FB’s must be dropped for the next game. Play anyone.

• 47 The overrated Frenchman // Nov 24, 2015 at 8:40 AM

I know I’ve said this before, but I want to keep saying just to vent, or something. Why would a shrewd businessman like Ashley not take all the measures he reasonably can to protect this investment? Isn’t a Premier League club with 50,000 at every home game a license to print money in this climate of massive TV revenue? Why would you leave it at the mercy of likes of Charnley, Carr, McLaren etc.? Is he the only one who can`t see that they are all completely out of their depth? And the players are simply a reflection of the inadequacy at that higher level. Poor signings, poor attitude, poor training regime and tactics – you only have to watch the games to see that in all its ugliness. The whole thing is a recipe for disaster which is coming to fruition at a million miles an hour.

• 48 nufconceandfuturekings // Nov 24, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Well, Moussa, all I can say is that I hugely admire your sense of irony.

previous post: Magpies After Bordeaux Midfielder In January – Sunderland Win