The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Player Delighted To Be Back Home

9:31 am, Tuesday, November 24th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

It was a good move to send Gael Bigirimana on loan to his former club Coventry City and after their 4-1 win on Saturday afternoon against former leaders Gillingham they now sit on top of League One – 3 points above Gillingham.

Gael came on in the second half and he got a good welcome back from fans of his home town club.

gael bigirimana ckloseup

Gael Bigirimana in Newcastle colors

Coventry put in a great first half performance in such a big games and were 4-0 up at the break.

And the 22 year-old was full of praise for the team’s performance:

“It was a bit strange really but in a good way,” the 22-year old explained.

“It was the stadium where I made my professional debut and being back was exciting. I have a lot of good memories and to put that famous Sky Blue shirt back on was a great feeling.

“To receive the ovation I did touched my heart. I know the cheers were for Jacob as well, he deserved it of course. But I felt the fans were glad to see me back and it was an unbelievable moment, one of the best of my career and my life.

“It was one of the best first halves I’ve ever seen in the my career, everyone was excellent. It was a joy to come on but it’s not about me, the team were unbelievable.

“We need to keep that form going and God willing, if we keep playing that way we’ll be back where we belong.”

“For my career right now I need to be involved in the first-team and playing games. I need more experience, I don’t have as much as I probably should have.”

I appreciate that, the manager may require me off the bench or to start, I’ll work hard either way.”

“You’ve got to respect every team, in English football it’s fascinating – the last team in the table can still turn you over. Bradford are on an excellent run, but we have to take each game as it comes.”

“We’re top and we have to keep being ourselves. It’s going to be difficult but the boys have shown what they can do in the 18 games so far, Bradford will be a tough game but we need to stick with what the manager tells us.”

“It’s a long season, every player knows their roles and we’ve got to keep the points coming.”

The loan is a short one through January 3rd and hopefully it can be extended through the end of the season if everything goes well initially.

Gael needs the games and hopefully he will be used by Sky Blues manager Tony Mowbray, who had this to say about the former Coventry player last week:

“I’m looking forward to working with Gael and I’m sure he’ll add a valuable option to our midfield,”

“I’m sure he’s looking forward to coming back and making a positive impression on us.”

Tags: Gael Bigirimana · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toonfan8 // Nov 24, 2015 at 9:44 AM

we have to completely change our system a try something different….
    we should try this, mbabu,lascelles and haidara are faster than janmaat,collocini and dummet, plus we need to give wijnaldum his best positions….when tiote is fit, start him ahead of Anita…but it needs balls from S.McClaren to bench Collo,Janmaat and Dummet…they simply arent good enough to be PL starters as defenders, maybee try Janmaat as CM…

• 2 LGFUAD21 // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Can’t believe we are still being linked with attacking players like this lad from Bordeaux)

We need some better players at the back.

Also I hardly see this lad tearing it up. He’s got a 5th of the reputation Cabella had.

We can’t even get de Jong in the team who looked like a top traditional number 10 when we signed him.

We have Perez and Gini that likes to play there as well as sissoko who fancies himself there.

Yet we have 1 fit mediocre winger (unless you count Janmaat as one which I am beginning to)

Anita is the inky fit midfielder willing to play the deep role bless him.

• 3 ShirebrookToon // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Mbabu Mbemba Lascelles Haidara

Sissoko Tiote Wijnaldum

Perez Mitrovic Thauvin

thats what i would play for palace game

• 4 bladeuser // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Why don’t u try this
    Spending your cash on something worthwhile that will give u a bit of pleasure not on a bunch of wasters who could not give a rats arse about u or the team unlike the rest of the epl teams who some maybe poor but at least try and respect the fans Nufc stink as does the owner players and blameless shitty manager but hey u mugs carry on paying for your poor players next Bentley remember Xmas is upon us why don’t u forget about a gift and put your cash away for a season ticket for the championship u lot never f@@@@@ LEARN

• 5 martoon // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Jib – from last topic – I’ve never heard that rumour but it would fit. All of a sudden we seem to have no heart. spirit or fight. Being a toon fan I’ve seen us lose many times 🙂 but hardly ever can I remember such a lack of spirit and fight as I saw on Saturday especially in a home game.

• 6 toon kk // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Different systems may or maynot work, but personally I think it’s down work ethic, the players are capable of far more but have aquired a lazy loosing attitude, which has become infectious throughout the club making decent player’s go back over.

The team does have major flaws, like lack of pace, poor creative player’s, no wingers and a shocking defence also for the future strikers but if we worked harder we could at least escape the relegation zone.

• 7 Bambams // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:37 AM

The bold facts are our player’s are not as good as we or they think they are.
    We are scouting the wrong players, we could get away with one or two promising players from abroad but the problem arises when the going becomes tough. They haven’t got the fight.
    We used to have players who battled so hard. In a way we could do worse than bring back Nolan on a short term contract. I am sure he is out of contract – might be wrong there. He is the type of player we could do with right now.

• 8 angelswithdirtyfaces // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:42 AM

I have found the answer to ALL our defensive frailties.

• 9 jimmysmith // Nov 24, 2015 at 10:54 AM

We don’t look as fit, fast or committed, by comparison to other sides. Why is something of a mystery, as we’ve always had a decent group of players on decent money relatively speaking, yet too often under achieved.

Certainly this squad has been allowed to run down over the last couple of seasons, leaving us thiner on quality than we at first appear, and with one or two who shouldn’t be there.

It’s almost as if the club recognised it’s recruitment policy was inadequate some time ago, and so has waited out the contracts of those who were never going to be good enough, and gradually looking to upgrade

I think we are reasonably well placed to rebuild over the next few windows as contracts continue to end. But that will still have been a transition over 4 seasons, which is surely a sign of woeful mismanagement, even if we succeed.

No wonder the players lack focus, when the club has been content to drift along with such little urgency, and even now we are still prepared to gamble on a player like Thauvin, who has frankly looked hopeless.

• 10 Essex Geordie Bill // Nov 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM

If we are hoping and depending on the January transfer window to save us then we are doomed.

Don’t think I need to add to that!!

• 11 martoon // Nov 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM

angelswithdirtyfaces @8 He certainly moves quicker than Colo 🙂

• 12 cyprus // Nov 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM

All the coaches are to blame surely. The strange thing is, how can they deliver a game like Stoke just 3 weeks back, then a game like Leicester.

Of course, Carr must hold up his hand and say mea culpa on Thauvin. And, I quit, i’m not worthy. Cabella seems better than him! 13 million for a ‘maybe’ player! He should be burning defences for that kind of money. 13 mil man. And all this started from getting rid of the BEST player in the PL at that kind of thing. (I won’t mention names so I don’t start ANOTHER relevant thread!)

• 13 Jib // Nov 24, 2015 at 11:12 AM

From the outset I wondered about the coaching setup and allocation of roles within that setup almost a case of too many chiefs !

• 14 Graeme // Nov 24, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Martoon @ 11 – So does Grey’s Monument!!

• 15 Average_Contents // Nov 24, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Shhh, jimmy’s about.

• 16 Toonfan8 // Nov 24, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Toon KK
    we have to play faster players and we arent good enough defensively, we need to play Lascelles there, as he is best header of the ball defensively, also on the RB Mbabu, as he is good enough defensively, stronger and quicker than Janmaat, and Haidara at LB, also stronger and quicker than Dummet…in the middle play with three players and that should be Tiote,Colback and Wijnaldum now, two arent fit so play Anita and Sissoko there with them…on the wings should be Thauvin and Perez and upfront Mitrovic…it cant be worse than it is now…Janmaat,Dummet arent defensively at this level and Collo is slow and cant jump and head the ball…so line up for me…
    If Thauvin will have bad game, just put there De Jong and move Wijnaldum to the left side…but this should be line up…and tell Sissoko to up his game and do all the dirty work, or he is on the bench…

• 17 martoon // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Graeme @11 LOL
    Jib @13 – If there are problems surely a good manager should be able to bang their heads together and sort it out. But then again McClaren is not a manager he’s a head coach 🙁

• 18 Jib // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I’ve posted this player’s profile rather that sites linking him to us because there are so many.

Sevilla , Spurs , Everton and , NUFC have all made enquiries.

I have no idea how strong a possibility it is that we’ll sign him .

I do it merely to illustrate we are active in the Winter window market.

The last couple of matches have been a nightmare from a team effort perspective but business goes on .

• 19 toon kk // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Macca needs to buy some steel toe cap boots and give our players a good kick up the arse.

• 20 manxpie // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Surely it’s time to start De Jong

wiji De Jong perez

Anita sisko

we finally actually have a striker who can hold the ball and a target man and the 3 behind can all score
    plus De Jong when he came on last game actually looked comfortable on the ball and actually made a couple of successful 5 yard passes
    got to be better than thauvin

• 21 Lindisfarne // Nov 24, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Louise Taylor mentions her usual suspects but does also start pointing the finger at the lack of leadership, quality decision making and under investment. Does not paint a hopeful picture of getting things turned around.

• 22 Lindisfarne // Nov 24, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Surely it is time to have a complete rethink and select a team based on those that show the hunger and ability to do the job required. The clean slate that Schtevie started the season with should now have plenty of black marks and if we are going to continue losing then lose whilst giving opportunity for young players to progress.

• 23 toon kk // Nov 24, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Every player needs to be sat down and asked if they want to play for Newcastle, if not f—k off home.
    There needs to be a massive shake up, I think Macca has become too soft tbh.

• 24 jimiley // Nov 24, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Leicester are top of the league and we should not expect to beat them. We can hope to beat them but not be too disappointed if we fail to do so. We have an average side and an average manager and we should get behind the team and the manager over the next six months and be delighted if we can scrape together another eight wins to keep us in the league. The downside of that goal is that there will be more of the same next season. And the next until we are eventually relegated. We are a yo yo team for the foreseeable future. it was never easy being a Toon supporter.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Nov 24, 2015 at 1:33 PM

toon kk,
    What happens when they all say no !

• 26 toon kk // Nov 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM

go to a school field, I bet the lads would put more effort in.

previous post: January Now A Crucial Transfer Window For Newcastle