The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good News – Star Player Back In Training – Fit For Liverpool

9:22 pm, Friday, November 27th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

Cheick Tiote is expected to miss just one game tomorrow at Crystal Palace after he injured his groin in the first half of the nightmare game against Leicester City last Saturday.

All being well he will come back into training next week and be available for the home game against Liverpool and his match fitness will not have been affected.

Jack Colback – back in training

And Steve McClaren had some good news about our best holding midfielder Jack Colback who has been out with a knee injury since the Sunderland defeat on October 26th.

McClaren said Jack’s been back in training for three days and Steve said he would even be available for the game tomorrow – but it’s very doubtful he will play at Selhurst Park.

In fact it would be a shock if he is named in the side.

But certainly by the following weekend when we entertain the Reds at home a week on Sunday he will be ready then  and we need the best team we can field against a Liverpool team that has been in good form since Jurgen Klopp took over just a short  seven weeks ago.

It hasn’t taken Klopp long to start making a difference at Liverpool.

The other good news is that Karl Darlow is available again, but the bad news today is that Massadio Haidara has picked up a serious knee injury on Wednesday and he will be out for four months.

The Frenchman will have surgery on the knee next week.

And Steve  caused some confusion when he said in his news conference that Mbemba will be back in training next week – he must have meant Mbabu.

So he will not be in the line-up at left-back tomorrow – we had him replacing Paul Dummett for tomorrow’s game.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Injuries · Jack Colback · Newcastle News

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 27, 2015 at 9:33 PM

So Makro shouts at Colo and they have a big bust up. Now Colo can play well. Sorted. Brilliant.

WTF? If it was as simple as that…

Makro needs to screw his loaf. Colo is crap. No amount of shouting at him is going to change that. We’ve been telling him how crap Colo is for months while he gave him the captaincy, all the while since blowing smoke up his arse. Now we’ve got to tell him it doesn’t work like that. You can’t shout at a crap player and thereby make him a good one. WTF? You couldn’t make it up. Colo should be nowhere near the starting 11.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Nov 27, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Ed’s hit the sauce and gone to random auto post

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Nov 27, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Mikey is great because we no longer sign old age has beens looking for a final pay packet !

• 4 toon22 // Nov 27, 2015 at 9:43 PM

• 5 sparky55 // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:03 PM

McLaren is pants but it’s not his fault the players he has at his disposal are worse than pants.

The fault lies squarely at the feet of the owner and Graham Carr.

This absolutely pathetic business model of only buying cheap potential in the hope of selling on at a considerable profit has left the squad with no leaders, no premiership experience, and no chance of premiership survival.

They’re a bunch of fcukin’ idiots running our club and so short-sighted is unbelievable.

Pathetic doesn’t even come close

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:07 PM

You echo my sentiments ut you left out Churners and Mon?ers

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Btw, I’ve got a Samsung technical support dude ringing on Monday to sort out all my typos since getting this new phone

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Hang on a fcukin minute, the new policy doesnt allow players over twenty five to be signed but Collo for some reason is the best signing of the season? ??

• 9 sparky55 // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Churners and Moncur are just puppets who are making a very poor job of carrying out the strategy as laid down by the fat b@st@rd.

It’s a very poor strategy that was never going to work no matter who was put in charge to implement it.

• 10 andrew84 // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Haha I think ‘star’ is being a bit kind to be honest. Definitely one of our better players but I can’t say I’ve been ready to blame our current problems on the fact Colback’s been on the injury table.

• 11 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Hang on this articles all about jack colback. Where’s the star he’s talking about? Ed I don’t see the star part of your story, Ed.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM

I know it, you know it why can’t the
    284th richest man in the world see it, that has what has got hom so much falae popularity in the last few years, if he’s so good at being a Billionaire surely it must rub off on us, it must be obvious now that we are a by product !

• 13 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 10:59 PM

I think you’re being a bit naive to say Charnley and Carr are puppets. Moncur is of course a vestigial talisman of no fathomable purpose except to radiate remnants of club identity. Charnley has been installed as linchpin to the whole setup by Ashley, he is the Yay or Nay man on team business. He is the man who is rubber stamping all the shoddy, cynical transactions with players.

• 14 colwell // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Thank fcuk Tiote will be back we need 2 DM’s in the middle doing that allows us to create fcuk all and lets other teams press.

• 15 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Jail @ 7 are you sure it’s not Santa’s Testicle Support you’ve ordered? 🙂

• 16 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Colwell you’re spot on there we can only survive for so long without someone who can rotate endlessly while holding the ball and ignoring the simple pass.

• 17 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM

Funny thing but you know we were more of a goal threat when we were able to plant Willo by the back stick and lump a heavy diagonal ball to his approximate vicinity.

• 18 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:08 PM

I haven’t been on much today so evidently I’ve missed JeffRays latest clanger. Was it a classic Wanyama moment or just another one of his embarrasing backfiring insults? I like to keep up with current events.

• 19 Belfast // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Put a sock in it Skunki will you. Preferably a thick and smelly winter one.

• 20 Belfast // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Yep a thermal one will do. One of those ones that never find their way into the washing basket. You know the ones…

• 21 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Yes Yes I do Belfast I’ve got loads of them, mostly right feet ones, strangely.

• 22 Belfast // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Toon22 I think the “star” bit is for clicking benefit. Lure you in.

• 23 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Long time no whine like a girl, Belfast – you been in holiday in Finland or Mars or the like?

• 24 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Yes the unwary will not think ahead and rationalise ” wait a minute – Star? We don’t have any stars! Oh Ed, you rascal you, nearly caught me out with your headline again there!”

• 25 jimmysmith // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM

I think Colback is a fine player, but also that a top eight central midfielder needs some bigger weapons in their armoury. He doesn’t menace his opponent without the ball, provide the killer pass, drive forward with the ball into the final third, or control the tempo of the game from deep positions with his close control, movement and range of passing.

I think you need what he has, plus one of the above to create the edge needed in midfield to compete and win the midfield battles with the senior sides, in the way that for example that Tiote and Cabaye could do.

Good player without doubt, terrific player for the squad, but I struggle to see him being central if we are to achieve the owners stated goal.

• 26 Belfast // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Sounds very good Skunki, but sadly no. Just been busy and the blog is absolutely shite.

• 27 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Yes Jimmy, you’re right he is a dull and pointless player.

• 28 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Belfast it never bothered you before 🙂

• 29 sparky55 // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Everyone in all his organisations are just puppets playing out what the fat controller demands.

If they are not puppets what are they?

• 30 Belfast // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:24 PM

It’s probably the equivalent to Defrosting the freezer.

There was one quality moment last week though when manxpie called you a Sc u n thorpe to be fair

• 31 Belfast // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Cheers for that one manxpie 🙂

• 32 Belfast // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM

You’re actually right Skunki. Think I crashed and burned.

• 33 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Well that’s two posts with the word S c unthorpe that haven’t got past Eds filter so I’ll not bother any more with that

• 34 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Sparky he’s no more a puppet to Ashley than Goebbels was to Hitler.

• 35 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM

The blog has indeed mirrored the quality of our beloved team. No real footballing talk except everyone disagreeing over who or what is to blame for the lack of any. And the constant heckling of that oily little weasel jeff.

• 36 jimmysmith // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Stinky, why do I get the feeling you are referring as much to my own prosaic style as Jack’s?

Come onto the blog to share a simple point of view, and you get literary criticism for your fuggen trouble. Jesus!

• 37 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Just for a laugh I decided to actually read ALL of this article, even though it’s just a click magnet. Right near the end Ed says “It hasn’t taken Klopp long to start making a difference at Liverpool” ha ha ha oh my sides that was random, Ed! I can see the rationale – Come on McLaren what’s the hold up? Even Klopp has taken a low grade bunch of flops like Liverpool forward, why can’t you get our Stars moving? 😀

• 38 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Jimmy, I’m not Jesus, no I’m really not. I’m also not stinky., no really I’m not that either. I think you get the feeling because the way your sitting is causing you a pain in the lower back, or you forgot to put the bin out in time. I’m merely retorting with my point of view, nothing personal. Unless you’re jack

• 39 Tsunki // Nov 27, 2015 at 11:54 PM

But if it makes you feel any better you can call me a Yorkshire town with a swear word in it, that’s popular as an insult I understand. How about Halifacks? Not great but the best I can muster at short notice.

• 40 banjax // Nov 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM

It was a breath of fresh air to read Kevin Keegan’s analysis of Newcastle’s current problems and at the same time it reminded us of the reason he quit his managers job. Kevin quit because he was not prepared to be dictated to in the performance of his job, in particular having a limited say in which players would be bought into the club. Today, NUFC find themselves in a relegation fight as Kevin says because of the poor quality of players now at the club. How’s that for a no nonsense appraisal of NUFC recruitment policy and unless things change then our results won’t change. Thanks Kev !

• 41 Toon-Prodigy // Nov 28, 2015 at 3:06 AM

Kev is bang on, it’s always been the policies with recruitment that have been to blame. Not the managers, coaches, scouts or anyone else for that matter. All of those unhealthy obsessions with the managers that I witnessed on here over the past 5 years, complete waste of time. It never mattered who was in charge and still dosn’t.

Ashley sets the level of ambition and lays down the laws, the minnions just do the jobs they are asked to the best they can but the strategy has always been flawed and has always went against any sort of ambition.

Experience and leadership in January please, then we can start fixing the diabolical mess which Ashley has created with his money making agenda’s with cheap foreign imports on lower wages.

To think most of these players have been on 5 year deals is a disgrace.

• 42 Toon-Prodigy // Nov 28, 2015 at 3:12 AM

And well done to McClaren for pointing out the obvious about the policies. I doubt it will change much though as Pardew did it also and got no where.

I think Charnley has already said we will stick to the policies.

• 43 TroubledToon // Nov 28, 2015 at 3:41 AM

Well, an Mbemba-Mbabu gaffe is still better than an N’Zogbia-Insomnia one 😀

• 44 Ron Knee // Nov 28, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Morning jesper

Well, are we going to be embarrassingly bad today, or merely bad?

• 45 sing in the corner // Nov 28, 2015 at 7:09 AM

I’m pleased SM will resist the temptation to chuck Colback straight back in when he’s not had time to build up any sharpness. I will watch with interest how several bloggers will resume their slagging off of this solid, reliable and very decent player. It’ll be back to ‘oh he just passes sideways / 5 yards…oh he never gets forward…oh he runs round leaving gaps all over…oh, he can’t tackle..’ All completely unfounded tosh in my opinion. We have missed him in the centre of the park. It’s not his fault he has never been paired up with a decent player who’s style dovetails with his since maybe Abeid.

• 46 toonincheek // Nov 28, 2015 at 7:20 AM

sing –

I’ve been skipping most of your posts recently.
    Can’t be bothered with txt-speak.
    Makes it easier for the writer, but harder for
    the reader.
    That doesn’t appeal so I just skip your posts.
    Pleased to see you have changed.
    Will now start reading your posts again.
    Unless/until . . . .

• 47 sing in the corner // Nov 28, 2015 at 7:34 AM

You’ve either had an extended night on the sauce or its a simple case of mistaken identity,as I have never and never will use text speak. either that or you’re being tongue in cheek / ironic in some way that has completely gone over me heed

• 48 lochinvar // Nov 28, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Newcastle boss Steve McClaren says he will stand by his 33-year-old captain Fabricio Coloccini, despite a training ground clash this week. (Newcastle Chronicle)

Well that’s marvellous loyalty.
    The Commodore of the Titanic standing next to his Captain on the Bridge.
    Meanwhile the major shareholder is staying in his cozy office on dry land in the mistaken belief that his super ship is unsinkable.
    “Gin and tonic Mr. Ashley ?”
    “Would you like ice with that ?”

previous post: Newcastle Have No Chance Of Signing This Player In January