The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

No Sympathy From Pardew – It’s A Tough Job For McClaren

5:29 pm, Monday, November 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 129 Comments

Alan Pardew was under enormous pressure a number of times when he was Newcastle United manager and we always thought his biggest asset was that he was so tough mentally and also so single-minded.

And if you are a Premier League manager these days there’s no room for weaklings in the mental health area – that’s for sure.

It’s a gruesome job and even tougher at an iconic club like (the famous) Newcastle United and we haven’t done well for over three years now and we’ve been pretty hopeless since Sir Bobby Robson was sacked back in 2004 for only finishing in 5th place.

Freddy Shepherd will never live that down.

alan pardew home to QPR 1-0

Alan Pardew – while on Tyneside

Steve McClaren is under intense pressure and scrutiny after gaining only 10 points in our first 14 games and he’s managed the last two games which have been two of the worst performances from a Newcastle side we’ve seen in a very long time.

Pardew has been asked if he has any sympathy for Steve given it was such a one-sided game on Saturday (we were completely outclassed by Palace):

“No I don’t. I’d rather just talk about my team because my team were terrific.”

“I’ve been in Steve’s position and it’s a tough, tough role. “But he’s tough enough to be able to deal with it.”

“And for Newcastle, it’s just about what we did on Monday against Sunderland, try to bounce back for next week – that’s all you can focus on.”

There’s going to be tremendous pressure on any manager whose team is in the relegation zone these days in the Premier League and with TV rights money only increasing – it will only get worse – meaning even more pressure on managers.

Starting in June there is a £5.1B package that kicks in for the next three years – much bigger than the current £3.0B deal.

Who would want to be a Premier League manager these days?

On the positive side they do get paid some big money – which is not surprising – and we suppose that can go towards the costs of psychological counseling – which they will probably need at some point in their management careers.

Is it all worth it for PL managers?

That’s a very good question and money isn’t everything.

Tags: Coaching · Financials · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

129 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Croftus, you say,
    “it’s easy for all of us to call things when they are going bad and i’m no fan of doing so when before the season kicked off the majority on here was happy we had stepped forward with our new signings and management/coaching set up !”

There were quite a few Cassandras like myself who were still waiting for the horse to be bolted to the cart, although we were criticised for being negative. We also identified Colo as being a liability. Even Toonbrother was being pilloried in many quarters for his condemnation of Colo as week after week he was proved right.

I’m not sure there were many at all who were happy with Makro’s appointment.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Blackley

I wasn’t happy myself but believed we’d be better off than we are now.

I never understand why people don’t think you can change your mind. When new evidence comes to light, like the rubbish we get served up week in week out then of course fans will change there mind.

ps. that’s not a dig at you, just you posted somebody elses argument

• 3 Jib // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Blackley
    One has to use some yardstick when evaluating players , their being internationals is one criterion but by definition it is not an exact science.
    Cyprus was doing what lots of others do from fans to journos to club scouts , using their winning of caps to evaluate them in an effort to justify their purchase and at the same time get a handle on their poor perfomance for NUFC.

I hope this helps

• 4 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:50 PM

@1 blackley

to my recalling there was hardly any fans who wanted colo to stay and we pretty much all agree’d we needed another quality cb signing but it didnt change the fact that before it started we was happy overall that we would not be in a relegation fight with what we started with.

from what i can see if i’m honest from so far with macca in charge is he talks sense and is a good coach and looks after the youngsters but does not seem to have many players on side and does not seem capable of changing the mood.

and if by not happy you mean he was not fist choice then you are correct but if you look back at comments he was class majority wise as an upgrade on pardew (myself included)

• 5 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Apparently wor long serving tea lady retired recently. I hope what we’re looking for now is a strapping, young tea lady to help with the player fongings.

• 6 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:53 PM

What we need is a 6 foot three tea lady weighing aboot 15 stone waiting at the entrance to the dressing room with her fong bat held high.

• 7 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Transfer
    I agree. No problem in changing your mind in the light of events. I wasn’t having a pop at Croftus. I just don’t understand where his current grounds for optimism lie. Also, he seems to be suggesting he got it wrong so he can’t criticise Charnley and Carr. The difference is that Croftus is not employed to run our football club. Those two knackers are. When they get it wrong, they’re open to criticism.

• 8 JamesToon // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Jorge Sampaoli shortlisted for world coach of the year, should defo be going for this guy imo.

• 9 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

@6 g2

i like your thinking buddy ! a 6′ russian shotputter giving them a stern look as they walk out the tunnel may be just the thing they need tbh.

• 10 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:58 PM

This is obviously a cunning plan by McLaren mate. Don’t you lot see it? We hide in the weeds in 19th place and then suddenly we win 10 in a row and spring up the table!! It’s coming any time now. I can feel it. 😆

• 11 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Or possibly that’s just gas from the beans and eggs?

• 12 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM

That sounds lovely croftus mate! Big strong shoulders and arms to deliver some punishing blows. Then just a menacing glance for each player before matches. Beautiful.

• 13 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM

I’m just going to assume we’re going to win 10 in a row and everything is actually fine at the club. That must be what Ashley is doing after all….. 🙁

• 14 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM

@7 blackley

hehe its not optimism is more of a case of i’ve made my bed now i lay in it !

we pretend to know better on here giving our opinions and we are no different to them in if we get it wrong we accept we did just because they are paid to do the job has no difference in us admitting our faults ! its how we self improve ourselves.

• 15 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Is Jorge Sampaoli also up for Madman of the Year James mate? He would have to be if he would consider coming to us….

• 16 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Let’s see…..just doing a quick calculation here. We have shipped 30 goals in 14 games. So that would be….. errrmmmm 81 goals in 38 games! That would be a new record for the club I believe! Huzzah!!! Can we have some silverware with that engraved on it to give Steve at the end of the season?

• 17 hibbitt // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM

i honestly thought Mc would do ok thought he was a middle of the road manager and very good coach who would get the best out of the players we had…… how wrong was i……… been no improvement no better then carver at lest carver kept us up this guy won’t

• 18 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Croftus
    As I recall, most fans, including most on here, were completely underwhelmed by Makro’s appointment. I saw quite a few fans talking it up after the decision was made, as if to make the best of it and look for positives. Even I hoped I was wrong.

I really don’t see any grounds for optimism. I’ve been banging on for ages that the recruitment is a shambles under Graham Carr. It is only now that Shearer has stated it no uncertain terms and the journos are idenifying it. It’s a pity Shearer didn’t say this much earlier as his opinion carries some clout.

So where do your grounds for optimism lie? I’m looking at a squad of lower grade internationals, sick notes and shite. And a manager who, as predicted, has no answers.

• 19 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:16 PM

In an effort to help the club I’m doing interviews for the position of club tea lady.
    G2: come in, come in. And have a seat. Hi Tillie. Just looking at the old resume here. Hmmmm you say you’ve done some professional wrestling and boxing. Excellent. You like to lead with your left and then deliver a killer groin punch? Excellent….. You’re willing to take the tea lady position on then Tillie. How do you feel aboot serving a bunch of lazy knackers then?
    Tillie: well G2 they won’t be lazy knackers once I get me hands on them. Anybody not pulling his weight gets a seeing to straight off. Thick ears all round I say.
    G2: Excellent Tillie, when can you start?

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Churners: Mike, pretty much every fan is saying get rid of Collo or at least strip him of the captaincy !
    Mikey: Fcuk ’em, give him a new deal, make what’s he called, Steve ain’t it, make him confirm ‘im as captain and make ‘im tell them all he’s the best signing of the summer. Silly fcukers won’t get the better of me !

• 21 GeordieTwo // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM

And I’m saying let Tillie the Tea Lady give them all thick ears as well!!!

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Jail
    Alarm bells rang when Makro kept Colo as captain. Toonbrother was just the most vocal of many who recognised the worrying error of judgment. When Makro started praising Colo week after week despite his dreadful performances, it was a major worry. But then when he started swearing at him, that’s what convinced me there is no hope for this guy. If Colo plays this weekend, I really will despair.

• 23 cyprus // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:39 PM

How much did that Bolasie and Zaha cost? Because that was the difference between the two teams. Where does one find similar players?

I know, Carr, you got no idea my man 😉

PS. Cabaye was invisible and deserved a card or three.

• 24 BandB // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Croftus

Before McClaren was signed the polls, and there were a few, showed that 90 per cent of fans didn’t want him.
    Afterwards, it was more a case of THEY’VE made our bed, we’d better lie in it and the polls reversed to about 90 per cent in favour almost overnight.
    This is probably partly down to people feeling that had to give the new man a chance.
    And also a large dose of The Emperor’s New Clothes from fans desperate not to break ranks with the crowd and declare the the king was in the altogether.

• 25 cyprus // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:40 PM

G2,
    Did you get to ask MA what he thinks about this shambles?

• 26 BandB // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM

“Isn’t he grand! Isn’t he fine! Look at the cut, the style, the line!

• 27 stephen1971 // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:48 PM

newcastle to lose 5-1 55/1 or 5-2 100/1 , not bad odds considering, a 10 spot going on both them scores

• 28 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM

I remember not being popular when, on first seeing Mitro at SJP, I said he looked unfit and overweight and his touch and hold up weren’t good enough. My opinion that Perez and Mitro haven’t got enough goals in them (although they’re probably our best attacking option) didn’t go down too well. I stick by both those statements. It’s why some of us kept banging on that failing to sign Austin was a major error of judgment. Charnley and Carr were looking at an open goal from three yards and missed. They preferred to go for a 21 year old who was new to the Prem. It’s no surprise the the Austin stories are alive and well in November.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM

BandB…try and read some of the post along with the poll. Clearly alot thought the appointment of McClaren was great!

…don’t down play this it’s not fair!

• 30 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:04 PM

BandB…To be fair, I’ve never seen an outfit quite like it.

• 31 BandB // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Here’s your 🙂 back Ibizatoon.
    🙂

• 32 geordieboy83 // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Charlie Austin saga

Gotta say I support the club stance in terms of not getting him. He was overpriced by 5 million. I would’ve liked him no doubt but 15 mil for a relegated striker, with dubious fitness, and one year left on his contract was just ridiculous. It’s the kind of money qpr would’ve payed and we’d be taking the piss out of them for doing it.

• 33 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Jesper…What’s being played down?

Comments with what poll, the one in January where 90% didn’t want Mcclaren?

• 34 BandB // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:08 PM

jesper,

The Mayflies…the perennial transfer-window optimists…. were out in force at the time.
    Those who spend the summer crowing on the hen house roof tend to slink into the doghouse once the football starts and world-beaters are judged on points and not opinions.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM

BandB…Wait a sec, when was that one from?

I’m not sure I’m willing to take it back. Did you keep the receipt?

Just in case… 🙂

• 36 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM

@25 bandb

was the pole debate your looking at asking the question who should be nufc’s next manager or who we think would be better for ourselves macca or pardew ?

i dont think any of us would have chosen him as first second or even third choice if thats where your coming from but its not the case of thats the question thats being asked !

simply put the question asked was do we think macca is better for nufc than pards and do we think we will be in relegation battle with macca and everything that comes with him at the start of the season ?

apart from the odd one or 2 i dont think any of us was truely thinking we would be at this stage with our current players/manager ect ect.

something has not worked if its the scouting then all of us who deemed them good signings like myself have no right to p*&s and moan but i honestly still do not believe we have signed bad players and that its more a case of man management/motivation and certain weak link players that are making the rest of the team give up.

• 37 BandB // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM

AC’s complex.

• 38 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:12 PM

BandB…Ah yes, you did warn me about that. Will I ever learn?

• 39 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Must be something I said…

• 40 BandB // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Sorry Ibiza,

Trouble Trousers has arrived…..

• 41 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Ibiza…you are at reading these days my friend!

BandB…???

• 42 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Geordieboy83
    You wouldnt want to see Mike fork out £15m for Austin. We wasted almost as much on Thauvin, having lost a small fortune on Cabella. We will lose that ten times over if we go down. He might have been £5m overpriced to most well run clubs. But we were nearly relegated and desperate. Supply and demand. We needed him. And you’re saying what you’re saying even with the benefit of hindsight. Of course there’s no guarantees. But Austin was a decent shout and still is.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:36 PM

*hard at reading

• 44 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Jesper…I didn’t think so, could you expand?

BandB…I see. Have fun.

• 45 lochinvar // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:42 PM

You have to wonder with their inability to make the right decisions if that will lead our erstwhile leaders to bringing back Andy Carrol to placate the howling fans baying at the gates of SJP.
    Presumable he has a discounted voucher / buy back clause in his Sports Dire contract.
    Along with the return of Keegan it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what they think they need to do to keep the crowds happy.
    Wrong.

• 46 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Ibiza…are my posts these days cryptic? I thought my respond to BandB was very straight to the point…not like hers though!

• 47 jane // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:48 PM

playing Blaydon Races before KO at Bolton?

Bolton need points with Shola up front.

• 48 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Jesper…Not just these days mate 🙂

Has nothing to do with BandB, but maybe I’ve misunderstood (well, clearly I have, as that’s why I asked the question at the time – I didn’t understand).

BandB…try and read some of the post along with the poll (which poll? The one where 90% didn’t want McClaren?). Clearly alot thought the appointment of McClaren was great!

…don’t down play this it’s not fair! (What’s being played down? That people wanted McClaren?).

Hope that clears my part in the matter up. Over to you.

• 49 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Ibiza…no offense, but it’s easy to misunderstand a post if that’s would you set out to do!

• 50 optimistic prime // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Ho ho ho merry Xmas

• 51 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:52 PM

I really can’t help you there mate you are going to have to figure that one out on your own! Enjoy your evening

• 52 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Jesper…Before I do take offense, are you suggesting I purposefully misunderstood your post?

Actually, let’s clarify that, I didn’t misunderstand, I didn’t understand it at all, which is why I asked.

• 53 Jib // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Ibiza

Jesper , since before breakfast time this morning has been trying to convince the blog what a clever little foresighted Dane he is by being virtually the only one who didn’t want McClaren.
    This is quite clearly not the case as most fans were at best luke warm.

• 54 Jib // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Cracking goal by Brentford

• 55 Jib // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Good dig by Shola

• 56 Ibizatoon // Nov 30, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Jib…Thanks, but no thanks. I can sort this out with Jesper.

• 57 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:06 PM

OP

A merry phucking Xmas indeed, I have no doubt that if the offer is big enough Perez will be sold, along with any other player.

If this happened I think the riots would follow in short notice.

Perez is arguably our best forward, Talk about back to basics, more like back to square one…..AGAIN!

• 58 Transfer Sage // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Why do people think Austin was over priced at 15mil?

He was QPRs only hope of getting promoted and getting them near enough 100mil of TV money, think they’d really sell for 10 mil?

No way.

• 59 optimistic prime // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Firebug

Riots lol, no chance.

Ashley could mismanage the club all the way to the Dr Martins league and 75% of the ground would sit in silence.

• 60 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Sage

Austin is in the last year of his contract so could leave for free in the summer, QPR may want to cash in and just take what they can get.

• 61 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM

OP @59

Oh go on then burst my bubble. Another dream shattered.

On a serious not though, I think that this time more of the fans have had enough, lets face it we are now worse than we have ever been. Mass walk out at the last home game, tensions are running high, and the pot is about to blow.

If the want to place the straw that breaks the camels back, they can go ahead and sell off our best players while we fight relegation.

• 62 Jib // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM

From The Telegraph

Journalists have been told not to ask players about transfers and McClaren, who has claimed in the past that the club would be active in every transfer window while he is head coach, is also now avoiding discussing anything to do with recruitment.

Newcastle appear to be in desperate need of reinforcement in the New Year, but the reluctance to spend may also indicate Ashley is starting to question McClaren’s future as head coach.

• 63 geordieboy83 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Blackley

I’m in no way saying I didn’t or wouldn’t want Austin here, hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time and even now I don’t think he’s worth 15 million in the last year of his contract. I know we maggot have wasted money thauvin, although imo too early to write him off, but that doesn’t make Austin worth anymore if that makes sense mate.

Sage

Just my opinion mate, you look at Hernandez who had scored for bigger and better clubs, and the price he went for in comparison, and I stand by my belief Austin was overpriced. Can I just reiterate id be happy to have him here.

• 64 geordieboy83 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:20 PM

There’s a decent article in the chronicle earlier about de Jong, and how we really have missed a trick by not at least trying him in a striker position where he proved a success at Ajax. Still can’t quite fathom how the lad isn’t being given a chance.

• 65 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:29 PM

@58 sage

spot on.

he may not be worth it when compared to value for money ect ect in some peoples view but to qpr he was a real chance at 100mil in the prem.

it’s like us saying perez/janmaat/sissoko are only worth 10mil but if a bid of 15mil comes in its more than they are worth so we will accept it and almost def get relegated (for example before it’s picked fault with as i know its not their true value)

and tbf we dont have the creativity or movement ect of bigger teams so getting a bigger named striker who’s used to getting that service may not be the best choice ! i’s personally go for a striker thats used to hard work and creating something out of nothing as he will not get that much service with us lol

• 66 optimistic prime // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Firebug

I was walking past the ground about a hour into the match and they were streaming out, was a surprise to see so many leaving.

Personally I just thought people were taking the chance to do some Xmas early shopping.

To many fans blame Mclaren Pardew the players Carr Charnley and even the tea lady 😉 until everyone sees the light and realise it’s all down to the slug nothing will change and the fans will continue to bicker. The fat Cnut has played a blinder dividing the fans.

Ashley out!

• 67 bladeuser // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:37 PM

OPTIMISTICPRIME
    give the other 25% a free pie and they would all sit there I’m silence
    ASH OUT
    SMAC OUT
    COLO OUT

• 68 robmefirst // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Got to take the armband away from Colo. Lascelles looked super poor against Palace. I’d still start Colo and Mbemba but holding mids are nowhere. Imagine a Carrick in there? Almost all goals we concede are from Sissoko not tracking back, or Colback and Anita ball watching a winger with a ball.
    Even if we got Matip, we’d still concede. There’s no cover from the midfield.

• 69 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Geordieboy83
    I think if you asked most fans now, if you could rewind the clock, would you have bought Austin gor £15m, they’d say yes. Some of us were saying it at the time.

As for De Jong, every time I’ve seen him, I’ve felt he doesn’t look suited to the league. He wants to stroll it. I’ve never seen another Premier League player who tries to do that. He has offered very little in his appearances whereas othr players would be busting a gut andvtrying yo prove a point. If he’s a good player suited to this league, he’s doing his utmost to hide the fact. The bottom line is that we need players committed to the cause. He’s not even done anything to help his own cause.

• 70 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:40 PM

OP

It’s what he is good at, he like to keep every one looking over their should to see who is ready to step into their shoes, and his minions at each other throats while he gets his dodgy deals done, But the time someone looks up and takes notice it’s too late.

A united fan base could force the changes that were promised, unfortunately most of our fans can’t even agree on what day it is.

Ah well; Onwards and downwards.

• 71 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:41 PM

*Shoulder

• 72 Jib // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Spotted in Kenton

• 73 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:48 PM

@70 fire

it’s tuesday….or is it thursday ! can we have a poll on it ?

• 74 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:50 PM

I’ve not heard anyone have a good word for Lascelles. They reckon he’s too inexperienced, poor or now “super poor”. I’m not seeing that. At least not yet. Of course he’s inexperienced, but so what? Opposing team’s will field inexperienced players. Of course he’ll make mistakes. But he’s got the physical attributes and I think he’s done well given that he’s just cutting his teeth in this league. I know one thing. He cannot be worse than Colo.

• 75 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:51 PM

croftus5678

I’m sticking with Sunday, But if you want a pole ask Ed, or we could wait for a Google answer.

• 76 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Jib @72

PMSL!

• 77 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM

I’ve seen enough of Thauvin to write him off. I thought he did really well when he came on as a sub in one game and he went up front and held it up great. But since then I cannot believe how bad or unsuited he is to this league.

• 78 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM

@Blackley

I feel the same way about Lascalles he has been thrown in when the whole team is falling apart and usually a couple of goals down

Start him with Mbemba and see how he does!!

I mean Colo against Benteke and Sturridge sends shivers down my spine for this weekend!!

The left hand side of ours will get battered as well with Ibe and Clyne so no use playing Wijnaldum and Dummett together as its got disaster written all over it

• 79 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:01 PM

@75 fire

look i respect your view but i just can not agree with you on this one as its def either tue or thu !

i would back this up with stats but unfortunatly i’m not sure of the date or even the year come to think of it >.<

• 80 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:05 PM

croftus5678

PMSL!

I’m just gonna ask our lass, she ALWAYS claims to be right!

• 81 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:08 PM

While most were rating Janmaat as player of the season and the next captain, I was in disbelief. Janmaat has gone on this season to show exactly why I didn’t share the opinion. Some fans will probably still not see it. Some still don’t see it with Colo. But Janmaat is useless defensively and too profligate going forward. Okay he’s got a few assists and scored, but his final ball is poor far too often. His best performances have come when he’s played CB and had to hold his position.

• 82 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:08 PM

@80 fire

lol aye we should have a woman manager we would never lose would we.

• 83 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Blackley

Could it not be that because the team is sh1t the good players that we have are also made to look sh1t, when Janmaat goes forward surly the DM should cover to give him time to get back.

When he first came he looked a very good player, this poor form has filtered into the team and dragged everyone down. The team is capable of producing better football, they have done it is short stints, it the mentality that has gone.

croftus5678

I asked our lass if she would take over at Newcastle, but she said the first thing she would do is raggy Ashley all over the pitch…… Now I’m begging her to take over…

• 84 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:21 PM

At least the relegation word has been trotted out early doors by Mclaren hopefully that focusses Ashleys mind with regards to what to do next about the manager situation and transfer window

I seem to remember the season we went down there was no chat about relegation at this time because to be honest on paper that team should have been challenging for europe

Not so sure about this one

Pardew always had the knack of getting a win when it looked like there was no way back for him

Would actually not surprise me if our mercenaries play their heart out and get a draw at the weekend and at the same time I could also see us getting smashed 5 or 6 nil which I think that would be final straw for the zombies who go to the games at the moment to take some action!!!

• 85 jimmysmith // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Ed, you scallywag, Pardew was asked if had anything to say about Newcastle’s problems, not if he had any sympathy for McC. I’m sure he more than anyone else has great sympathy for him.

• 86 optimistic prime // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Firebug

It won’t take another several years to find our natural level, we may even get a derby with Gateshead on the way.

• 87 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM

OP

Aye, we’ll get Hartlepool first, maybe we could throw a rope around Ashley’s neck, the most we would be in trouble for their is cruelty to an animal.

Ahhhh a vision of beauty. Damn I hate reality.

• 88 optimistic prime // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Firebug

Ahh the monkey hangars.

I wouldn’t put a rope around his neck, I’d send him to work in his sweat shops for eternity.

• 89 jimmysmith // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Our “Monday to Friday” players will probably turn up against Liverpool. It’s the grind of less glamorous fixtures that fails to light a fire under them, which of course are the critical fixtures for us in terms of points, and so leave far too much of a burden on the teams grafters, who really aren’t that good. Dummett, Anita, Colback, Elliott, a collection of ne’er do well “stars” and a precious few of genuine but inexperienced quality, isn’t gonna cut it.

It’s amazing that the club failed to see it coming. I admit I didn’t, but I’m just an outsider looking in, and always looking for the bright side, but Jesus, these guys are running this dog and pony show.

• 90 BandB // Nov 30, 2015 at 9:59 PM

As winter approaches, I give you the Old Boor’s Newcastle’s Fans’ Almanac.

May: “Well that was shocking. Whole squad is rubbish. Any less than eight signings and I’m out!”
    August: “Last season’s squad was basically sound. These four signings could be what we needed. I’m predicting top eight, me.”
    November: “This is going to take years to fix. Ashley better spend big in January, like!”
    February: “Look, it’s best we saved out money for the big summer rebuild. No way it’ll be a relegation fight like!”

This is the 2016 edition. Never updated since 2008.

• 91 croftus5678 // Nov 30, 2015 at 10:12 PM

hmm mon-fri team ???

2015

gateshead fri won
    atlas tue lost
    portland tue lost
    york wed’s lost
    northampton tue won
    west ham mon won
    sheff weds weds lost

3 wins 4 losses against those teams !

• 92 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright has told The Sun Goals podcast that he thinks Newcastle are becoming like Leeds, because people love to laugh at their struggles.

Newcastle have won just twice in the Premier League this season, against newly-promoted Norwich City and Bournemouth, and they sit second bottom of the table right now.

Saturday’s 5-1 defeat away at Crystal Palace was the latest blow for manager Steve McClaren, whose position in the St. James’ Park hot seat is already looking precarious.

It’s always a shame to see such a huge club suffer such clear troubles on and off the pitch, and there may well be parallels drawn to Leeds United.

Leeds, who had been challenging at the top of the Premier League and in the Champions League during the early 2000’s, were relegated from the top flight in 2004 and haven’t been back since, even dropping in to League One at one point.

Newcastle – who were relegated to the Championship in 2009 but made an instant return to the Premier League – are now flirting with the drop once again, and former Arsenal striker Ian Wright has told The Sun Goals podcast that Newcastle are becoming like Leeds because neutrals enjoy mocking their poor results.

“I’m not rubbing it in, because you know what, it’s like Leeds!” said Wright. “Newcastle fans are turning in to what people feel of Leeds, they like to take the mickey out of them,” he added.

When a fallen giant struggles and battles against relegation, there will always be some opposition supporters ready to poke fun at them for how far they have dropped, and that certainly appears to be the case for Newcastle – especially as it was their former manager Alan Pardew who inflicted that 5-1 defeat on them over the weekend.

Relegation last time helped the club rebuild, but they failed to build on some strong performances upon their return to the Premier League, and now find themselves back to square one, in a battle against relegation.

What they certainly can’t afford to do is drop in to League One or become a lower mid-table Championship club like Leeds have over the last ten years. That may seem unrealistic, but Newcastle’s struggles of late mean that nothing is out of the question.

• 93 bettyswallocks // Nov 30, 2015 at 10:19 PM

It seemed in the summer that McClaren had been given assurances on spending in the next Windows after the new players had bedded in (or not) and after having had chance to assess the whole squad before deciding what we need in January.

Unless things improve dramatically between now and Jan. I can’t see Fatash spending another big chunk under the current set up.

There are strong rumours abounding that he expected to see more value for his 52mil. than what’s been shown.

• 94 SPRINGY // Nov 30, 2015 at 10:40 PM

evening all
    i was’nt a fan of macca becoming coach,didnt think he right for the job at all but once got the job i was willing to give him time to see what he could do….thought backroom staff he brought in were good with the exception of simpson that seemed like a job for the boys type of thing….as for how its gone so far with the exception of a couple of games it has been shockingly bad….and cant see it getting any better with the games to come…..players are poor technically,physically and mentally even worse then last year by the look of things….signings have’nt had the easiest gellin time so cant really slag them off to much but can say its poor…..as for lascelle the lad has been thrown into a piss poor defence in a poor team,he may never make a premier league player.. but to judge him after playing a bit parts in the worst defence in league is harsh without a good run of games

• 95 lochinvar // Nov 30, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Newcastle are not expected to sack McClaren, 54, but owner Mike Ashley will turn to his football board and PR chief Keith Bishop for answers after the Magpies returned to the Premier League relegation zone. (Newcastle Chronicle)

So there you have it – the answer is in PR
    And I’ve just seen the script for the latest interview.
    ” so Mr. Bishop how do you define relegation”
    Bishop: ” well maybe when you’re up you’re up and when you’re down you’re down”
    “I see”
    ” and what result do you expect against Liverpool ?”
    Bishop: ” well I am sure it will be quite a performance”
    ” and how would you describe Hope ? ”
    Bishop: ” canny lass really ”
    “And how many players turned up for Sunday Training ”
    Bishop: ” I could tell you loads but that wouldn’t quite be true , so is rather not say ”
    “Mmmmm interesting and what about Ashley”
    Bishop: ” you mean he’s here ? Now ? In the building ? Sorry but I have to go. I can’t possibly be seen talking to the press , it’s more than my jobs worth ”
    Thank you Keith , you’ve been a great help.

• 96 SPRINGY // Nov 30, 2015 at 10:44 PM

betty
    was’nt it 150m to be spent over the next 3 windows,guess ashley does’nt trust macca and carrs judgment any more….wonder why!lol

• 97 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Television presenter Richard Keys has urged Newcastle United supporters to stay away from St James’ Park to make their feelings towards owner Mike Ashley clear, according to his blog.

Indeed, Keys has praised the Newcastle fans, suggesting they are good, loyal people who deserve better than to watch their team get thrashed every week.

And he feels only not turning up to watch the Magpies every week will send a message to Ashley.

Newcastle lost 5-1 to Crystal Palace on Saturday afternoon and face Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool side in their next Premier League clash.

Keys wrote on his blog: “These are good people. They follow their team no matter what. They complain about Ashley but still go. My advice? Don’t go guys. Don’t go anymore. It’s short term pain for long term gain. I know it’s likely to be tough, but don’t go. It’s the only way let let Ashley know he’s not wanted. He’s taking the mickey out of you – playing with your blind loyalty.

“Stay loyal to your team, but let him know enough is enough. My message to Mike Ashley is this – go. Go now while there’s just enough life in the corpse for someone else to try and revive it. Get out of Toon. Now.”

Newcastle fans did famously boycott a Premier League game against Tottenham Hotspur last year – but did it have any long-term effect?

Several thousand fans didn’t turn up to the game and others protested with signs and banners. Ultimately, though, it seems they all returned. And should they follow Keys’ advice, will they really be able to stay away for good?

Perhaps if Newcastle fans kept up the boycotts, they would make more of an impression on Ashley. But it’s unlikely that method will ever truly make its mark.

• 98 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Maybe we should get Richard Keys to lead a fans revolt against the fat man.

• 99 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Video

Revealed: What Daryl Janmaat said to fans in an impromptu speech in wake of Newcastle’s latest defeat

• 100 JamesToon // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:12 PM

January wish list:
    Sam Byram
    Craig Dawson or Lewis Dunk
    Andrew Robertson
    Jack Cork
    Granit Xhaka
    Nathan Redmond
    Andros Townsend
    Charlie Austin

And either FDB, Sampaoli or Bielsa as manager.

• 101 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:15 PM

JamesToon

It’s nice to have a dream…But!

What we are more likely to get is Sissoko and Perez sold with another empty promise of replacements in the summer, and Macca left in charge to muddle through and see if he can keep us up.

• 102 jane // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM

it’s going to be an interesting couple of months.

• 103 firebug666 // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM

For anyone interested here is the full write up from Richards blog.

As I was watching the latest abject performance from Newcastle – that 5-1 hammering at Palace – my mind wondered back to that infamous tv interview with Mike Ashley on the last day of last season.

He told David Craig ‘I won’t leave Newcastle until we’ve won something’.

If Ashley means what he said I don’t see a future for the once proud Toon. Ashley and his acolytes are killing the club. It’s dying. It’s desperate.

Newcastle is a wonderful football club. My earliest memories were watching them at Coventry. I was sitting in the West Stand as the late Terry Hibbert cracked in a wonder goal. They left with the points – we were left in the same kind of mess they’re in now!

They took ‘one of our own’, John Tudor, to form a front line partnership with the raging Super Mac so I took more than a passing interest in the club as I followed Tudor’s progress.

There was the Fairs Cup win – ignominy at Hereford – Keegan’s cup final when Liverpool tore them apart – Shankly taunting Joe Harvey on Grandstand before the game – Keegan eventually signing for them – there was always something coming out of that part of the world that even the neutrals would find interesting.

Of course Keegan gave us ‘The Entertainers’ when he went back to manage them. What a ride that was. Fantastic.

The Second Coming was a disaster, but only because Ashley & Co were in charge by then.

I remember flying home with Ashley and his hangers-on after one Saturday morning game at St James’. As we drove to the airport the conversation was all about Shearer. He wanted my thoughts on whether Shearer could manage the club. I told him it didn’t matter what I thought, only what he thought. That seemed to please him. The conversation ended with him saying ‘I suppose I’m going to have to give them Shearer at some point’.

His ‘go-fer’ back then was a guy called Chris Mort. Almost as soon we’d landed at Luton Mort was on the phone. ‘I’d appreciate it if you forgot what Mike said to you about Shearer. He didn’t mean it’. Ok, no problem. But he did mean it, Shearer eventually succeeded Joe Kinnear’s circus, was badly let down by Michael Owen, and had no time to stop the rot. Newcastle were relegated.

A lot happened over the following summer and it’s not my position to talk about it here. I’m sure Alan will tell his side of the story in his own good time, but as he and I spoke during that summer it was pretty evident from what Alan was saying that Ashley felt he’d delivered Shearer to the faithful – and that was the end of it. No more. He wanted him out of the club. Alan was too big a personality for Ashley to deal with. His popularity was always going to be an issue.

Newcastle don’t have the debt problem they once did, but other than clearing that – and now earning good money out of the club, Ashley’s ownership has been a disaster, right up to the present day.

At Palace at the weekend the Toon Army were signing ‘we’re s**t and we’re sick of it’. These are good people. They follow their team no matter what. They complain about Ashley but still go. My advice? Don’t go guys. Don’t go anymore. It’s short term pain for long term gain. I know it’s likely to be tough, but don’t go. It’s the only way let let Ashley know he’s not wanted. He’s taking the mickey out of you – playing with your blind loyalty.

• 104 The American // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Ed, you keep telling us we need a striker. We don’t, not in the slightest. We need two central midfielders who can competently distribute the ball to our fairly promising attackers. This means benching Anita and Colback. They’ve been woeful the past few games and because of that we’ve been vulnerable up the middle. In this league you can’t have midfielders that cough up possession every time they get a touch. It’s a shame because they work hard but that is not enough for the club right now. Charlie Austin would simply be doing the same thing that Mitrovic, Cisse and Perez. Get in good positions despite bad service and squeeze a goal between them every two games.

• 105 Graeme // Nov 30, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Firebug – great words from Keys – but is anybody listening??

• 106 The overrated Frenchman // Dec 1, 2015 at 2:42 AM

Somebody else may have already made this comment, but anyway…have you noticed how McLaren’s “judge me after 12 games” has become “it took 18 months at Middlesborough”…talk about moving the goalposts. And to go off on a tangent. Can anybody name one single player who has actually improved under the guidance of McClaren and his coaching team? I can’t. If they have gone anywhere it’s backwards I’d suggest.

• 107 jimmysmith // Dec 1, 2015 at 3:27 AM

McC might not be good enough to do the job. Likely isn’t, few are, but when he started he would not have have been aware of the level of fragility and disillusionment among the squad.

Like Shearer said, they are good trainers, but wilt in adversity on match day. That is hard to turn around. The players are in no way immune to the way the club has been run, or continues to be.

• 108 Magpie Season // Dec 1, 2015 at 3:43 AM

Does anyone know why Marveaux has not even made the bench? He was back from injury well over a month ago.

• 109 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 1, 2015 at 5:24 AM

Morning firebug…good read mate! And sadly yes, Ashley and his henchmen are ruining this fine club 🙁

• 110 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 1, 2015 at 5:42 AM

firebug…we have talked about boycotting games before, especially for ST holders…it’s a touchy subject. We even had one who used our predicament to upgrade seats to better seats!

I think most people knows they have to keep away to affect long term gain…it’s just that they don’t want to!

Morning Ron…

• 111 Ron Knee // Dec 1, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Morning jesper

As an expatriate, it’s too easy for me to say boycott the matches. But I’m sure that if I was living on Tyneside I wouldn’t go because I wouldn’t want to give the parasite a penny of my money.

• 112 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 1, 2015 at 5:56 AM

bettyswallocks…if Ashley wants to see a better return on his investment then he should start with hiring better people!

• 113 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 1, 2015 at 6:02 AM

Ron…it’s always easier for us who doesn’t live in Newcastle to say stay away, but it doesn’t take the truth in it!

…it just make it easier for some. No one said it would be easy nor painless.

Isn’t there an expression that says for something to get better is has to hurt first?

• 114 Ron Knee // Dec 1, 2015 at 6:07 AM

jesper

Friedrich Nietzsche: “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” Or something like that!

• 115 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 1, 2015 at 6:19 AM

Well, another shambles of a performance and another drubbing. Conceding 5 goals to a Palace side who have struggled for goals much like ourselves is an utter disgrace. They had managed just 14 goals in the previous 13 and we ship 5 to them. Shocking.

I’ve only seen the highlights, I had better things to do on Saturday, but those goals conceded were an embarrassment. The first goal has errors from just about every member of the back line and Anita. Basic defensive errors, not anything that you would call high end. Simple stuff that you learn as a kid. Utterly woeful.

McClaren nailed his damage limitation and negative attitude to the mast with the withdrawal of Perez for Lascelles at half time. 3-1 down, take off one of your best attacking players for a centre half. At 45minutes, McClaren admitted defeat, and showed zero intention of fighting back.

He can’t handle pressure, the pressure has been increasing and our performances have been getting worse. A change of manager isn’t the answer long term, but something has to give, and Ashley won’t be selling up before January.

Sell before we buy Luke Edwards says, that was always likely to be the case, but realistically who will we sell? There has to be a buyer, and I can’t see many wanting our players at this stage.

Before we can do that we have some big fixtures coming up though, I’d drop half of hem for the Liverpool match. People like Sissoko will be wanting to put himself in the shop window in a match like that. Drop him, don’t give him the chance until he decides to perform the rest of the ti me. Same goes for any of the others that can’t muster half a performance 90% of the time.

The kids aren’t ready, and most of the back up isn’t up to scratch, but they can’t do any worse then the dismal showings recently. At the very least we might see a bit of pride, fight and spirit from them.

• 116 Mag52 // Dec 1, 2015 at 6:20 AM

I don’t think Ian Wright got it right when he said that other fans are laughing at our plight as they did when Leeds crashed and burnt.
    If anything, they are sympathetic. Leeds had achieved huge success and a bit of a reputation for ‘playing hard’ far more recently than we have anything to boast about.
    The public will always be happy to see the giants fall. We haven’t been a giant in the game in most people’s living memory.

Croftus. Pardew v McClaren. You got it right when you mentioned man management/motivation. Good coach as he may be in other respects, I don’t think he has the same ability as Pardew has to motivate the players. When you have a bit of a motley bunch under you, it’s vital that, even if their ability is not the match of other teams, they run, track back, tackle, pressurize the opposition and get in their faces.
    In his time here, I can’t recall more than a few occasions when Pardew’s team didn’t turn up for him. We’ve already seen this too frequently in McClaren’s sort tenure.

• 117 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 6:52 AM

Judging by the amount of people who walked out of the match at our last home game, staying away as Richard Keys says shouldn’t be too difficult.

Why pay for a ticket to watch our team be humiliated, and then walk out half way through said humiliation?

May as well keep your money in your pocket, till you get to the pub, and watch the match their, a few pints to dull the pain….. Can’t do anything about the embarrassment like…. sorry!

• 118 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:03 AM

Firebug,
    It isn’t a case of keeping your money in your pocket. Most of those seats are already paid for. If you boycott it is more of a statement then to save cash. I still have my doubts that it would work, Lazio (i think it was them) had far more effective boycotts last season but didn’t get results. It has necver worked successfully to oust a regime.

I’m not saying don’t try, but as I have always said there needs to be a more considered and thought out plan to bring about change.

• 119 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Lil

I think the boycotts did have an effect, for the first time in eight years Ashley got his fat face on the tv to offer a bunch of empty promises.

I have notice that Ashley always reacts when his SD company starts getting bad publicity, and as he has that company tied up watertight to Newcastle United and Rangers whenever there are protests and threats to protest outside, and boycott his stores he acts.

Remember Newcastle and Rangers are only here to benefit SD, the fat man said it himself.

Boycotting the match itself is not enough, the barriers of Penfold and McClaren offer Ashley a buffer, to get him to take notice SD must also become a target.

• 120 Average_Contents // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Firebug

Time for a bit of #boycottshitedefect do you think. Along the lines of last season.

• 121 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:27 AM

AC

100%, it’s the only way to get Ashley’s attention, and I would assume that is because he has to answer to the shareholders and board of directors at SD.

It’s the only company where he can be held to account.

• 122 hibbitt // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:35 AM

firebug …..accountable to who he is SD he still owns 58%which is a controlling interest he answers to no one but himself

• 123 Mag52 // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:36 AM

* short tenure

• 124 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:40 AM

hibbitt

He still has to be held accountable by the other shareholder, just because he owns the lions share (as usual) does not mean he is not accountable.

Like I said the only time Ashley reacts is when his SD company comes under threat.

• 125 hibbitt // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:47 AM

firebug……….total agree he should be but he’s not and thats the problem …….i do agree SD is the key

• 126 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Lil
    I did not get the logic of Mclarens half time substitution – Yes I did he was going for a 3-1 defeat.

If he had any sense as most fans could see he should of hooked Colocinni for Lascalles
    Perez who was struggling for Mitrovic to see if they could play together with Cisse
    and maybe De Jong for Sissoko or Colback who did not look fit
    and had a go for it

• 127 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Firebug,
    He made an appearance on TV but did anything really change? It certainly didn’t have the desired effect. He didn’t sell, he didn’t make any real changes, just a few cosmetic ones and a higher spend, but nothing changed in policies.

I agree SD is his priority and any campaign has to have an element of impacting that. But there is more to an effective campaign then just boycotting or protesting.

NUFC fans criticised other NUFC fans because Rangers were more determined, but it has got them nowhere really. Ashley still has them by the bollocks, and is causing damage to their club with his efforts to regain control.

A joint campaign, and link in with other anti SD groups, workers rights groups etc, anti zero hours campaigners. It needs joined up thinking to really get at him. NUFC is just one on a list of things that can be used to get at Ashley. If the pressure becomes too much, he may sell and rid himself of one of his lesser problems, but again there needs to be a buyer and there are less people interested in owning a football club, let alone ones with the financial power to purchase and correct the problems t the club.

• 128 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 7:57 AM

hibbitt

At a board meeting he may have the final say as he holds the majority of shares, but that does not make him less accountable, the other shareholders can and will put him through the mill if they feel his other companies i.e. Newcastle and Rangers are having a detrimental effect on their company.

Still all that aside, you are right SD should always be included in any planned protests or boycotts. and for those that do not wish to boycott they should make their malcontent known loud and clear inside SJP.

• 129 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Lil

I would be hesitant to link with other groups as it may take the emphasis away from what we would be trying to achieve, (real change at Newcastle).

For me it’s not about getting the fat slug out as he will just dig his heels in, I want him to take the club seriously and make the necessary changes to allow the club to compete with the rest of the league.

Basically the owner need educating and pointing in the right direction, so for me it is about forcing HIM to change his Scrooge like ways.

previous post: Newcastle Paid Out 7th Most To Agents This Summer