No Sympathy From Pardew – It’s A Tough Job For McClaren

Alan Pardew was under enormous pressure a number of times when he was Newcastle United manager and we always thought his biggest asset was that he was so tough mentally and also so single-minded.

And if you are a Premier League manager these days there’s no room for weaklings in the mental health area – that’s for sure.

It’s a gruesome job and even tougher at an iconic club like (the famous) Newcastle United and we haven’t done well for over three years now and we’ve been pretty hopeless since Sir Bobby Robson was sacked back in 2004 for only finishing in 5th place.

Freddy Shepherd will never live that down.

alan pardew home to QPR 1-0

Alan Pardew – while on Tyneside

Steve McClaren is under intense pressure and scrutiny after gaining only 10 points in our first 14 games and he’s managed the last two games which have been two of the worst performances from a Newcastle side we’ve seen in a very long time.

Pardew has been asked if he has any sympathy for Steve given it was such a one-sided game on Saturday (we were completely outclassed by Palace):

“No I don’t. I’d rather just talk about my team because my team were terrific.”

“I’ve been in Steve’s position and it’s a tough, tough role. “But he’s tough enough to be able to deal with it.”

“And for Newcastle, it’s just about what we did on Monday against Sunderland, try to bounce back for next week – that’s all you can focus on.”

There’s going to be tremendous pressure on any manager whose team is in the relegation zone these days in the Premier League and with TV rights money only increasing – it will only get worse – meaning even more pressure on managers.

Starting in June there is a £5.1B package that kicks in for the next three years – much bigger than the current £3.0B deal.

Who would want to be a Premier League manager these days?

On the positive side they do get paid some big money – which is not surprising – and we suppose that can go towards the costs of psychological counseling – which they will probably need at some point in their management careers.

Is it all worth it for PL managers?

That’s a very good question and money isn’t everything.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Croftus, you say,
    “it’s easy for all of us to call things when they are going bad and i’m no fan of doing so when before the season kicked off the majority on here was happy we had stepped forward with our new signings and management/coaching set up !”

There were quite a few Cassandras like myself who were still waiting for the horse to be bolted to the cart, although we were criticised for being negative. We also identified Colo as being a liability. Even Toonbrother was being pilloried in many quarters for his condemnation of Colo as week after week he was proved right.

I’m not sure there were many at all who were happy with Makro’s appointment.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Blackley

I wasn’t happy myself but believed we’d be better off than we are now.

I never understand why people don’t think you can change your mind. When new evidence comes to light, like the rubbish we get served up week in week out then of course fans will change there mind.

ps. that’s not a dig at you, just you posted somebody elses argument

• Jib

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Blackley
    One has to use some yardstick when evaluating players , their being internationals is one criterion but by definition it is not an exact science.
    Cyprus was doing what lots of others do from fans to journos to club scouts , using their winning of caps to evaluate them in an effort to justify their purchase and at the same time get a handle on their poor perfomance for NUFC.

I hope this helps

• croftus5678

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:50 PM

@1 blackley

to my recalling there was hardly any fans who wanted colo to stay and we pretty much all agree’d we needed another quality cb signing but it didnt change the fact that before it started we was happy overall that we would not be in a relegation fight with what we started with.

from what i can see if i’m honest from so far with macca in charge is he talks sense and is a good coach and looks after the youngsters but does not seem to have many players on side and does not seem capable of changing the mood.

and if by not happy you mean he was not fist choice then you are correct but if you look back at comments he was class majority wise as an upgrade on pardew (myself included)

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Apparently wor long serving tea lady retired recently. I hope what we’re looking for now is a strapping, young tea lady to help with the player fongings.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:53 PM

What we need is a 6 foot three tea lady weighing aboot 15 stone waiting at the entrance to the dressing room with her fong bat held high.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Transfer
    I agree. No problem in changing your mind in the light of events. I wasn’t having a pop at Croftus. I just don’t understand where his current grounds for optimism lie. Also, he seems to be suggesting he got it wrong so he can’t criticise Charnley and Carr. The difference is that Croftus is not employed to run our football club. Those two knackers are. When they get it wrong, they’re open to criticism.

• JamesToon

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Jorge Sampaoli shortlisted for world coach of the year, should defo be going for this guy imo.

• croftus5678

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

@6 g2

i like your thinking buddy ! a 6′ russian shotputter giving them a stern look as they walk out the tunnel may be just the thing they need tbh.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:58 PM

This is obviously a cunning plan by McLaren mate. Don’t you lot see it? We hide in the weeds in 19th place and then suddenly we win 10 in a row and spring up the table!! It’s coming any time now. I can feel it. 😆

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Or possibly that’s just gas from the beans and eggs?

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM

That sounds lovely croftus mate! Big strong shoulders and arms to deliver some punishing blows. Then just a menacing glance for each player before matches. Beautiful.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM

I’m just going to assume we’re going to win 10 in a row and everything is actually fine at the club. That must be what Ashley is doing after all….. 🙁

• croftus5678

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM

@7 blackley

hehe its not optimism is more of a case of i’ve made my bed now i lay in it !

we pretend to know better on here giving our opinions and we are no different to them in if we get it wrong we accept we did just because they are paid to do the job has no difference in us admitting our faults ! its how we self improve ourselves.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Is Jorge Sampaoli also up for Madman of the Year James mate? He would have to be if he would consider coming to us….

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Let’s see…..just doing a quick calculation here. We have shipped 30 goals in 14 games. So that would be….. errrmmmm 81 goals in 38 games! That would be a new record for the club I believe! Huzzah!!! Can we have some silverware with that engraved on it to give Steve at the end of the season?

• hibbitt

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM

i honestly thought Mc would do ok thought he was a middle of the road manager and very good coach who would get the best out of the players we had…… how wrong was i……… been no improvement no better then carver at lest carver kept us up this guy won’t

• Blackley and Brownlie

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Croftus
    As I recall, most fans, including most on here, were completely underwhelmed by Makro’s appointment. I saw quite a few fans talking it up after the decision was made, as if to make the best of it and look for positives. Even I hoped I was wrong.

I really don’t see any grounds for optimism. I’ve been banging on for ages that the recruitment is a shambles under Graham Carr. It is only now that Shearer has stated it no uncertain terms and the journos are idenifying it. It’s a pity Shearer didn’t say this much earlier as his opinion carries some clout.

So where do your grounds for optimism lie? I’m looking at a squad of lower grade internationals, sick notes and shite. And a manager who, as predicted, has no answers.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:16 PM

In an effort to help the club I’m doing interviews for the position of club tea lady.
    G2: come in, come in. And have a seat. Hi Tillie. Just looking at the old resume here. Hmmmm you say you’ve done some professional wrestling and boxing. Excellent. You like to lead with your left and then deliver a killer groin punch? Excellent….. You’re willing to take the tea lady position on then Tillie. How do you feel aboot serving a bunch of lazy knackers then?
    Tillie: well G2 they won’t be lazy knackers once I get me hands on them. Anybody not pulling his weight gets a seeing to straight off. Thick ears all round I say.
    G2: Excellent Tillie, when can you start?

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Churners: Mike, pretty much every fan is saying get rid of Collo or at least strip him of the captaincy !
    Mikey: Fcuk ’em, give him a new deal, make what’s he called, Steve ain’t it, make him confirm ‘im as captain and make ‘im tell them all he’s the best signing of the summer. Silly fcukers won’t get the better of me !

• GeordieTwo

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM

And I’m saying let Tillie the Tea Lady give them all thick ears as well!!!

• Blackley and Brownlie

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Jail
    Alarm bells rang when Makro kept Colo as captain. Toonbrother was just the most vocal of many who recognised the worrying error of judgment. When Makro started praising Colo week after week despite his dreadful performances, it was a major worry. But then when he started swearing at him, that’s what convinced me there is no hope for this guy. If Colo plays this weekend, I really will despair.

• cyprus

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:39 PM

How much did that Bolasie and Zaha cost? Because that was the difference between the two teams. Where does one find similar players?

I know, Carr, you got no idea my man 😉

PS. Cabaye was invisible and deserved a card or three.

• BandB

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Croftus

Before McClaren was signed the polls, and there were a few, showed that 90 per cent of fans didn’t want him.
    Afterwards, it was more a case of THEY’VE made our bed, we’d better lie in it and the polls reversed to about 90 per cent in favour almost overnight.
    This is probably partly down to people feeling that had to give the new man a chance.
    And also a large dose of The Emperor’s New Clothes from fans desperate not to break ranks with the crowd and declare the the king was in the altogether.

• cyprus

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:40 PM

G2,
    Did you get to ask MA what he thinks about this shambles?

• BandB

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM

“Isn’t he grand! Isn’t he fine! Look at the cut, the style, the line!

• stephen1971

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:48 PM

newcastle to lose 5-1 55/1 or 5-2 100/1 , not bad odds considering, a 10 spot going on both them scores

• Blackley and Brownlie

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM

I remember not being popular when, on first seeing Mitro at SJP, I said he looked unfit and overweight and his touch and hold up weren’t good enough. My opinion that Perez and Mitro haven’t got enough goals in them (although they’re probably our best attacking option) didn’t go down too well. I stick by both those statements. It’s why some of us kept banging on that failing to sign Austin was a major error of judgment. Charnley and Carr were looking at an open goal from three yards and missed. They preferred to go for a 21 year old who was new to the Prem. It’s no surprise the the Austin stories are alive and well in November.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM

BandB…try and read some of the post along with the poll. Clearly alot thought the appointment of McClaren was great!

…don’t down play this it’s not fair!

• Ibizatoon

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:04 PM

BandB…To be fair, I’ve never seen an outfit quite like it.

• BandB

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Here’s your 🙂 back Ibizatoon.
    🙂

• geordieboy83

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Charlie Austin saga

Gotta say I support the club stance in terms of not getting him. He was overpriced by 5 million. I would’ve liked him no doubt but 15 mil for a relegated striker, with dubious fitness, and one year left on his contract was just ridiculous. It’s the kind of money qpr would’ve payed and we’d be taking the piss out of them for doing it.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Jesper…What’s being played down?

Comments with what poll, the one in January where 90% didn’t want Mcclaren?

• BandB

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:08 PM

jesper,

The Mayflies…the perennial transfer-window optimists…. were out in force at the time.
    Those who spend the summer crowing on the hen house roof tend to slink into the doghouse once the football starts and world-beaters are judged on points and not opinions.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM

BandB…Wait a sec, when was that one from?

I’m not sure I’m willing to take it back. Did you keep the receipt?

Just in case… 🙂

• croftus5678

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM

@25 bandb

was the pole debate your looking at asking the question who should be nufc’s next manager or who we think would be better for ourselves macca or pardew ?

i dont think any of us would have chosen him as first second or even third choice if thats where your coming from but its not the case of thats the question thats being asked !

simply put the question asked was do we think macca is better for nufc than pards and do we think we will be in relegation battle with macca and everything that comes with him at the start of the season ?

apart from the odd one or 2 i dont think any of us was truely thinking we would be at this stage with our current players/manager ect ect.

something has not worked if its the scouting then all of us who deemed them good signings like myself have no right to p*&s and moan but i honestly still do not believe we have signed bad players and that its more a case of man management/motivation and certain weak link players that are making the rest of the team give up.

• BandB

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM

AC’s complex.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:12 PM

BandB…Ah yes, you did warn me about that. Will I ever learn?

• Ibizatoon

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Must be something I said…

• BandB

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Sorry Ibiza,

Trouble Trousers has arrived…..