The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle´s Response To Current Crisis Is Comical

8:22 am, Tuesday, December 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

One of Newcastle’s preferred media outlets is Sky Sports so when they report on something at Newcastle we assume it´s fairly accurate – although that´s still an assumption.

With the way things are at the moment – Newcastle are in  another crisis and second bottom of the league table after 14 games.

We certainly didn´t expect Newcastle to take any decisive action – simply because they haven´t done that for years.

Lee Charnley – Newcastle´s top executive

But what Sky Sports put out yesterday seemed to be an odd statement at best:

Sky Sports News HQ understands Steve McClaren’s position as Newcastle manager is not under threat despite the recent run of poor results.

However, the club is prepared to review the situation if relegation from the Premier League becomes a realistic proposition further down the line.

Notice that Newcastle haven´t issued any statement themselves about the dire situation after spending over £52M in the summer transfer window.

It´s typical Lee Charnley stuff – careful wording with the emphasis on careful – but it’s still odd – since we slipped back into a relegation place after the latest thrashing – this time 5-1 at Crystal Palace.

Sunderland and Bournemouth are now above us in the table and we are second bottom  – but don´t worry too much – because if relegation becomes a realistic proposition they will review things.

They mightn´t do anything about it, but they will have a review.

And maybe relegation is not yet a realistic proposition?

Charnley and company finally reviewed things in early May after John Carver had lost eight games in a row and we had been hammered 3-0 at Leicester City – and they tried to bring in Steve McClaren and we were nearly relegated because of that indecision.

How many other Premier League clubs would have kept their manager after losing eight games in a row?

And former striker Mick Quinn  didn´t think much of that news yesterday either.

Newcastle are not a knee-jerk reaction club – they are the opposite – they do nothing – however bad things get.

Breaking News ! Mclarens job safe,will be reviewed when relegation is threatening #WTF Are they having a laugh

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:26 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:25 AM

I can’t see him changing his ways. Surely he would have already if he felt it was worth his while? It clearly isn’t so we step from one blunder to another. NUFC fans on their own won’t be able to create enough issues. Take out the old, the ill, the too young and those who simply aren’t motivated and there probably aren’t enough left to have any significant impact on SD – a multinational corporation. We would struggle to scratch the surface on our own.

Cabaye might not have had a major impact, but he won the ball more times then all of our midfielders. He also retained possession better than any of our midfielders except Colback. I’d swap him for any of our midfielders in a heartbeat.

I think McClaren got it badly wrong in his selection and substitutions. Gini has been poor most of the time since arriving. He isn’t a left winger though so why do we insist on continually playing him there? We don’t have wingers in the squad. Dropping Mitrovic was laughable, blaming a young centre forward who thrives on crosses into the box as a response for two woefully inept performances?

Then to come out after and say we got a response? Who is he trying to kid? If that was a response then you have to wonder what question he was asking them? Can you play worse, if so prove it? The guy is cracking under the pressure and he can’t cope. It was always one of the major risks when appointing him.

• 2 Ibizatoon // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:32 AM

I’m not suggesting action be taken, but I would like to offer a different opinion on the results of last seasons various protests.

They were working, but they stopped.

We got an initial response, if it hadn’t of been working, we wouldn’t have got it. The issue is, he had to be given a chance to follow through on his words. However, in my opinion, many did go too far with their benefit of doubt, this wasn’t a trial period, it was a second honeymoon.

Still, to say we didn’t or can’t force an issue is seriously misguided imo. Surely people can see the benefit to Ashley for people to think it is the case? “What can we do? So let’s not try”.

Anyway, again, not calling for any action. Good morning blog world.

• 3 TheToonKing // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM

this club deserves everything coming to us. Fu3k-up after fu3k-up by the board for years.

We, the fans, don’t. It’s sad.

• 4 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM

The six points – I was banking on Villa and West Brom
    At the moment I cannot see us picking up a point.
    Villa had a go on Saturday against Watford – scored 2
    West Brom – impressed with their fightback at West Ham could of won

As for our chicken livered squad couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Yet up to including the Stoke game I thought we looked half decent -but something must of happened between the Stoke and Bournemouth games to turn the pathetic couldn’t give a shit performances since.

• 5 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM

I understand what you are saying, but if we were to join groups who protest zero hour contracts, or child exploitation, then the protest would become all about them, and we may get a mention as an afterthought.

I would sooner join other fans in a joint protest, we have to let him know that it is the fans that want change, the customers of his sports shops who are not happy, and personally I think there are more than enough Newcastle fans to make an impressive dent in SD and Ashley’s regime.

Don’t sell these fans short, because with some proper organisation from the fan groups, and a little steel and determination Newcastle fans (imo) are the best in the world and we are tenacious enough to take the fat man and his regime to task over the shambles he and they have created mate.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for stopping child exploitation, and scrapping the zero hour contracts, but this is about Newcastle United and the torture being inflicted on the fans in the guise of so call football.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:44 AM

We don’t even need to sack McClaren. He is on the board so why not give him a role overseeing the youth setup and football development. That is one of his strongest areas and he could become almost a DoF with someone who can come in as manager dealing with the first team set up. I’m sure McClaren would be more comfortable with that, if he fails here he is pretty much finished.

A win win for all parties surely?

• 7 martoon // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Charlie @4 – I agree although we had not had the best results things looked to be moving in the right direction up to and including the Stoke game. You’re right something has happened since then because our performances have become woeful to say the least. I don’t know what it is (anybody any ideas?) but somehow McClaren needs to fix it and fast.

• 8 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:49 AM

You will get spelks in your backside mind.

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:50 AM

I can see that happening – McLaren going upstairs – overseeing the football development and being involved in transfer negotiations maybe a bit of scouting. (replacing Charmless) and telling Carr who I cannot see getting the sack what players he/manager wants

Makes a lot sense to me!!!!

• 10 Ibizatoon // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Firebug…What’s a spelk between friends?

• 11 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Sorry mate it’s Northern slang for splinter, you know sitting on the fence and all that.

• 12 Lindisfarne // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

Not just the team but my comment was a joke, as the saying goes “a relegation six pointer”!

I wonder, but is very doubtful, if the appearance of Steve Black on the pitch at the end of the game (was it Stoke?) and the subsequent comments from pundits made the worms turn?

Where is he now?!

• 13 posada // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Carr is an old fella who makes the big footballing decisions.
    He does not work at the club day in day out. He is not putting in a 60 hour week working with the manager.
    No other club would operate like that.
    Seems most folk are wise to that now. Probably because of Shearers comments after the game.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Dec 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Firebug…I got that 🙂

Am I fence sitting?

• 15 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Bit slow haven’t had my six cups of tea yet.
    If something has happened then surely the fee paying season ticket holders should know because it is our money as well as Cashleys they are F**king about with.
    And if the press boys know then spit it out!!!!

• 16 lochinvar // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Newcastle are not expected to sack McClaren, 54, but owner Mike Ashley will turn to his football board and PR chief Keith Bishop for answers after the Magpies returned to the Premier League relegation zone. (Newcastle Chronicle) and now Charnley is spouting forth similar garbage

So there you have it – Ashley thinks PR and spin is the answer
    And I’ve just seen the script from the latest interview.

” so Mr. Bishop how does Mr. Charnley actually define relegation”
    Bishop: ” well maybe when you’re up you’re up and when you’re down you’re down and when you’re only half way up you’re neither up nor down ”
    “I see”

” and what result do the management expect against Liverpool ?”
    Bishop: ” well I am sure it will be quite a performance you can be sure of that ”

” and how would you describe Hope ? ”
    Bishop: ” canny lass really ”

“And how many players turned up for Sunday Training ”
    Bishop: ” I could tell you loads but that wouldn’t quite be true , so I’d rather not say otherwise that would be telling”

“Mmmmm interesting and what about Ashley”
    Bishop: ” you mean he’s here ? Now ? In the building ? OMG ! Sorry but I have to go. I can’t possibly be seen talking to the press , it’s more than my jobs worth ” ( runs screaming from SJP)

Thank you Keith , you’ve been a great help.

• 17 posada // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Steve Black
    Theres a place for this type of thing. Motivational thinkers etc.
    Fairly sure it does not require a full time position. Really don’t think he should be on the pitch or in the dressing room.
    Think it’s after the Norwich game he runs up to Wini to give him a cuddle. Wini a Dutch international who has had some success providing his own motivation so far in his life, smiles and gives him a curious embarrassed look.

• 18 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Well, “I’m not calling for action but;” could be deemed as fence sitting I suppose. 😀

I am all out for action as I fear that without it our club will disappear down the leagues and into obscurity.

Richard Keys hinted at some of the underhanded dealing that has gone on at the club, and it’s time all of this was laid bare, it is time for honest trustworthy people to be placed in charge ( well as honest and trustworthy as you can get in the modern day game), but most of all it’s time for real change, not just lip service and more of the same.

• 19 benjohnsen // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Newcastle league positions under Ashley tells me everything.

07/08 – 12th: Relegation battle
    08/09 – 18th: Relegated
    09/10 – 1st: Championship
    10/11 – 12th: Good season
    11/12 – 5th: Wonderful season
    12/13 – 16th: Relegation battle
    13/14 – 10th: Good season
    14/15 – 15th: Relegation battle
    15/16 – ; Relegation battle

I guess looking at the positive side, we have a lot of experience fighting relegation. The reality. Out of 9 seasons we now have 4 seasons of relegation battle, 1 ongoing, and we have one 1 season where we were in Championship unable to fight relegation in PL. That is 1 very good and 2 ok seasons in PL.

Fun fact. Coloccini has been the preferred CB all those seasons.

• 20 AncientC // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM

McClaren has 3 points from the last three games. I would imagine the same result from the next three games would be considered quite good, with 2 of those fixtures being top 10 sides.

Remember that McClaren only needs to average slightly more than a point a game, for survival and onwards.

Mac is late to his targets, but just about hitting them at the moment.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Firebug…Being for action and calling for action are two entirely different things.

Always been pro discussion before jumping in to something 🙂

Something needs to be done, you wont get an arguement out of me.

I read that Keys blog. I thought it a spot on read. Interesting comments about Shearer. You wonder whether it’s a case of doesn’t want to talk about it yet, or can’t. We know the club are big on secrecy and their non-disclousre agreements.

• 22 south coast toon // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:19 AM

what planet are these lunatics on is it not a well know fact that generally if your in the bottom 3 at christmas you have a very good chance of getting religated , god we have just been thrashed by a team that have been struggling for goals 5 bloody 1, for god sake smell the coffee we are neck in the shit pit do we have to wait till its pouring in our mouths or is that not realistic enough
    we are a laughing stock from top to bottom you just couldnt make it up
    come on steve this aint going to get any better get them looking for a new manager now and make sure hes got a pair of bollocks

• 23 firebug666 // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:22 AM

I am humbled and apologise.

I would assume it is a non disclosure clause in his contract, it’s Ashley’s way, and if you look at the conversation between Keys and Ashley you may notice that Ashley say “I have given them Shearer” thus implying an us and them regime.

But remember we are all in this together!

Onwards and Downwards……..Together!