The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Considering Shock Changes For Liverpool

8:43 am, Thursday, December 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Mike Williamson has been recalled from his loan spell at Wolves presumably because Jamaal Lascelles has picked up a hamstring injury, but Steve McClaren should have recalled him even if Jamaal was still fit.

Mike has played well for Wolves in five games on loan and he has a habit of coming back into the Newcastle side after being out a while and then playing well.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – big changes for Liverpool?

It will be difficult for him to do as poorly as some of the other Newcastle defenders in the last two games, because we have looked like a Championship side playing the big boys.

The big boys in this case have been Leicester City and Crystal Palace who were low down in the league a year ago with Leicester bottom on 10 points from 14 games.

That´s Newcastle´s record at the moment and we are second bottom of the league.

Steve McClaren may have to make some big changes in his side for Sunday´s very tough game at home to a resurgent Liverpool with Mike Williamson, Siem de Jong, fit-again Kevin Mbabu and forgotten man Sylvain Marveaux all said to be in contention.

Those in danger of losing their places are players like Fabricio Coloccini, Moussa Sissoko and Paul Dummett.

Williamson will have been surprised to have been recalled earlier this week, but he´s a positive player and a good  professional who is in the last six months of his contract at Newcastle.

This is what he had to say on nufcTV:

“You want to be playing at the highest level you can.”  “And if that’s the case I am happy to be back.”

“My time at Wolves was a good opportunity and a very good fit with a young group.” “I got on well with the manager Kenny Jackett.”

“Hopefully I can play on Sunday and it will be worth coming back.”  “I got the phone call on Monday saying to be in training for Tuesday.”

“I will train in the next couple of days.” “Jamaal has a hamstring, but I was expecting to be there at Wolves for the Christmas period and a couple of games in January.”

Williamson last played in  a Premier League game against West Ham on May 24th and did not have a good second half of the season under interim coach John Carver.

Mike also came in for some withering criticism from Newcastle fans, but we are hoping he can help shore things up in December and early January before new players can come in.

Some players need to start playing well otherwise we´ll be in very bad shape come January.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Firebugs Team Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:47 AM

I wonder if Steve will resurrect the tried and trusted ‘ back stick’ ploy? Watch out, Scousers! He’s behind you! 🙂

• 3 martoon // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Firebug – good line up but is there not a conflict of interests is JFA is in the team and therefore on Ashley’s payroll? 🙂

• 4 hibbitt // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM

ED were in very bad shape now…… it will only get worse by then

• 5 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM

• 6 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Let’s just digest this for a moment. We have emergency recalled Mike Williamson. Let that just sink in…….

• 7 firebug666 // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM

We get paid as well????

Half that team would string the fat man up off the Gallowgate roof.

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM

“We’re in big trouble defensively, Steve – and now we’ve got Liverpool and these guys train every week and go weeks without a kebab! What are we going to do? ”

“……….Call Iron Mike.”

• 9 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM

If these players Graham Carr hand-picked are really all that talented then I guess his great failing is he can’t scout players on character. Has anyone told him Alan is er… you know…

• 10 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Shock Changes…

Has McLaren been having a word with you – just have to get my boots out of the loft.

• 11 croftus5678 // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:03 AM

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Playing for free old chap. I’d be embarrassed to still try and claim that Ashley is a good owner if I were you.
    As for that little twerp who goes to away games telling everyone who’ll listen that we’d have done a Leeds without Ashley and we’ll never get relegated as long he’s here, I wonder if he was still saying that on the journey back from South London

• 13 firebug666 // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM

I’m gonna need to hire a zimmer frame for my goalkeeping role now. I didn’t think he read the blog, sorry guys. lol

• 14 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM

The beautiful game

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM

It’s all the Ashley Out crew/rabble/gang/shower/mob/cult/sect/mafia’s fault if Mikey was still on the board making decisions it would have never come to this, but no, they wanted him to take a back seat and let the footballing people like Moncur and Beardsley make all of the decisions, anyway Mikey might reinstate himself and save the day

• 16 firebug666 // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:16 AM

So two more Fifa arrests, and I don’t think it will stop there, the whole company is corrupted, My guess is this will stretch further than Fifa.

Ashley may well have stepped back, but he still has his hands firmly around the clubs throat, and it’s turning blue.

• 17 martoon // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Jail – I’m not sure how a flippant remark leads you to believe I think Ashley is a good owner because I certainly do not.
    I have always maintained that Pardew was not as bad a manager as some on here made out which I think is being shown to be correct now.

• 18 Jib // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Tsunki Out
    If you were a real fan your reaction would be

“Jeez I knew there were problems at the Toon but not this bad , get it sorted Steve we’re right behind you”

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Dec 3, 2015 at 9:34 AM

My apologies, I thought you were in the Ashley IN camp.
    Most ‘real’ fans and even us on South Tyneside who get the Metro to games would have loved to have seen Mclaren turn the mackems over and put one over Pardew, but it’s not looking likely is it !

• 20 Sav // Dec 3, 2015 at 10:42 AM

The ‘We Demand a Team that Tries’ banner was never more appropriate than it will be on Sunday.

previous post: Liverpool Completely Rampant Before Newcastle Game