Pardew Reveals Some Truths About His Time At Newcastle

Alan Pardew has had a fantastic year since leaving Newcastle and it’s turned out to be a great decision he made to leave a big club like Newcastle for a smaller club like Crystal Palace.

He has a lot more control at Palace than he ever had at Newcastle and he;s revealed that he was never fully in control of the playing staff.

It’s good that Alan has been diplomatic in not criticizing the club and let’s face it he’s had every opportunity with how Newcastle have struggled since he left and the way Crystal palace are not challenging for a top six position.

Alan Pardew home to QPR

Alan Pardew – while at Newcastle

When  he joined them they were third bottom of the league table with 16 points from 19 games played.

I could go and list where we were (9th on 26 points) and where both clubs ended up in May but I’m already depressed enough – so I won’t bother.

🙂

Alan Pardew was interviewed in the Times by Henry Winter:

“The big jobs never really come my way apart from Newcastle. I gave it the best shift I could under the regime I was under. There is so much emotion around that city and the way the club is run.

“I can’t quite understand the aggression from fans towards me. I just tried to do the best job I could for the Newcastle fans with the playing set I had. I didn’t have complete control over the playing set and that makes it difficult.

“I’m manager. I have to be positive even if some of the players I am thinking ‘he’s probably not the greatest’. That got lost, it was ‘me and Mike  just looking after ourselves’. That was never the case. I don’t carry any bitterness towards anybody. I loved the people I met up here.

“I do have sympathy for McClaren because it is a job where the expectation makes it very difficult. They (fans)   always say they are realistic about their ambitions but actually when we finished fifth, had a fantastic season, I read reports saying, ‘Well we should have got in the Champions League’.

It will be an experience I’d never have swapped, the good and the bad.”

Newcastle fans are always like that – if we won the Premier League some would say we should have won it 20 years ago – but that’s Newcastle fans – that’s just the way it is – most of us are simply daft about Newcastle.

🙂

Freddy Shepherd sacked Sir Bobby Robson because we only finished 5th and we didn’t make the Champions League back in 2004.

With the lack of success since Bobby left that seems so very strange these days.

It’s also fair to say that a group of Newcastle supporters simply hated Pardew and it was best for the Londoner that he left the club when he did.

We weren’t too sad to see him leave either, but Lee Charnley and others – by letting him go last January – put the club in real danger and we almost lost our Premier League status because of it.

Maybe the best way to put it with Alan Pardew is that he was as successful at Newcastle as he was allowed to be.

Letting Pardew leave halfway through the season and not effectively replacing him is just another example of how poorly the club is being run right now under owner Mike Ashley.

If we don’t do well in our next two games we could have our fourth manager at the club within twelve months.

What do you think?

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM

skipping this one

• davetoon

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Yeah its weird to think that we probably played our best game against Stoke and only got a point. Now they are dominating the leaders and we can’t string 2 passes together

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Dysfunctional Newcastle United is a club that doesn’t believe in itself any more – what happened?
    MIKE FCUKING ASHLEY

• Lindisfarne

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:40 PM

“You come to St James’s Park, a great stadium and arena and team think: “Oh yes I fancy this”. If you go to say a stadium like Stoke, it is different. We have to make it intimidating. We have to be a bit nasty.”

Colback has gone through similar slumps at Sunderland and last season on Tyneside.

Assessing the squad he adds: “We have a great set of players, talent wise. Probably as good as I have been involved in technically, and natural ability. But you have to bring the right mentality with it.

– It is a low base line comparing Sunderland players to us.

• Thump

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:41 PM

“The big jobs never really come my way apart from Newcastle. I gave it the best shift I could under the regime I was under.”

Seems very much like he’s saying that the apathy from the boardroom had long since invaded the dressing room.

Can’t disagree with him tbh. Didn’t like him, was tired of his excuses, but he should have walked a long time before. Ultimately he outstayed his welcome despite knowing the toxic environment fostered by a certain Fatman.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:47 PM

pardew and the word frankly in the same sentence.

• davetoon

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:47 PM

No mention about head butting players or man handling refs?

• Rotonda heights

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:48 PM

wonder why the big jobs never came his way. oh wait…

• cyprus

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Ed,
    You ask me what I think.

Get over it my man. He’s gone. So much glory he got us, so many amazing games, and runs, but he’s gone. Be strong.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:50 PM

stoke were awesome today. most enjoyable to watch for a long time

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:51 PM

If we sign the following, we might have a chance a staying up:

Matip
    Raphael Guerriero
    Daniel Agger
    Townsend
    Grenier
    Mauro Zarate
    Nathan Redmond

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM

That lot would cost us around £40m.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM

IS THAT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A DECENT MANAGER IS ALLOWED TO BUY HIS OWN PLAYERS

• optimistic prime

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:59 PM

He’d say out but his prayers

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:02 PM

will we prop the table up after the spuds game

• lochinvar

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM

When the likes of Pardew opens his mouth to justify his time on Newcastle you know that they are not of the calibre that great leaders are.
    You never knock the opposition, just do better.
    Keep your powder dry and keep your gob shut – too late for McLaren to do that so he’s already declared himself as incapable of Managing at the top .
    Best result we can have tomorrow is that the ground floods and that Ashley and his cronies get into the Ark two by two and float off down the Tyne.

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:10 PM

gan on leciester

• lochinvar

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM

12 points behind Stoke in 9th place – there’s a benchmark to judge where we’re at

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Pardew was still in terms of football the worse manager I have witnessed at Newcastle in my support!

…the football he served up! Utter crap…

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Watching Sunderland and how well Watmore is doing given a free role with his pace we should be getting Armstrong back we need his pace and movement to counter attack

• AncientC

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM

^ You can find good football steams on reddit. It works for me, now that football steaming info is down… especially if you use Acestream.

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM

lee you cant say that we will burn him out wait till he is 23

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:16 PM

@John Tudor

What wait till he is playing for someone else you mean ? He wont be with us at 23 if we dont play him after this season now he has a taste of first team football

He will be ready to play next season when we get relegated

The turnaround for Sunderland is nothing short of remarkable they suddenly have pace and work rate where they looked really poor

• bettyswallocks

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:16 PM

BandB……… Upon reflection following your aggressive character assassination , I would like to point out that I was completely behind the protests and actively involved

Sucking up to you or being overly chivalrous as I would prefer to see it was obviously a big mistake as you obviously prefer confrontation.

Since the speech from Ashley I have not become a sympathiser, just a realist and my thoughts are that after a long overdue investment in the team he may be prepared to allow the board to spend a decent chunk of the clubs profits on transfers.

After the 52m spend it was stated that this was only a start and McC would need time to assess the squad and work out what more was going to be needed in the next window. I don’t think anyone foresaw the results going so badly against us, fans and board alike.

We are in a terrible situation but other than sack people which may or may not be the answer, Ashley can’t do anything until January so until then I will continue to support the team in the hope that big changes occur .

I may then have different thoughts if things don’t improve dramatically, but for the moment I won’t allow hatred and resentment for Ashley to consume me like it has to you.

Peoples thoughts and opinions evolve and change and that is their prerogative, so I am sorry for committing treason and incurring the wrath of the Iron Lady.

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM

i was being sarcastic he should be in now being used if he burns out so be it
    see rooney

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM

@John Tudor

Yeah watching Watmore he has a tiny build like Armstrong and causes plenty of problems we need to buy a player like him in the window so why not just play him

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:30 PM

ooooo maybe some on here say he is not good enuf

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:31 PM

gan on leicester shove it up the swans

• BandB

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM

bettyswallocks,

Every time you have one of your bad tempered rants about true fans and telling other posters to sling their hook, I am going to point out that you were a noisy proponent of Ashley Out in the Spring, when we were struggling at least as badly as now.
    I don’t mind you changing sides. Not even twice. It’s the sheer nerve of attacking people for doing what you yourself were doing not so long ago.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Mackems, Norwich getting beat now – Scores going our way at the minute.
    Pity we won’t be able to capiltalise

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM

and there’s campbell not good enuf for us sticks it up the makems

• Ibizatoon

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM

An interesting article, not anything Earth shattering that people shouldn’t have already known, but still.

Alan…”it was ‘me and Mike just looking after ourselves’. That was never the case.” – So what were the dedictions to Mike for? Singing his praises, thanking him for the wonderful squad, pushing the spin…which yes, a fair few fans knew was spin…that’s where that particular problem sprung from, you prat. You may well have felt you were doing your best for Newcastle, you may well even did so, but you were a man of Ashley, not of the fans, so you can stop spinning now, time for all to move on.

With that in mind, moving on, I wont pull you up on the rest of the rubbish that you’ve spouted, I have to save a little energy for Betty.

Betty…

principles

a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning.

Some people have them. That doesn’t make them “a disgrace to mankind” – Get a grip.

“This is a blog for NUFC fans so you are not qualified to comment.” 😯 Again, get a grip.

As for the rest of you…Hi! Bye! Enjoy your weekend. I wont be catching the game on Sunday as I’m heading back to England. Someone whack the heating on for me.

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Villa leading.

• bettyswallocks

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM

BandB……. I have no objection to people attacking Ashley and harbouring resentment.

My point was that the reason for all the discussion and sharing opinions on blogs like this regarding NUFC is that we all share the same passion and to hope and dream that we can some day have a winning football team.

To declare that watching the team play can’t be justified in my opinion makes a mockery of being a supporter. How can you then be qualified to discuss the team on a blog.

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:49 PM

bull pap
    batman

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:50 PM

@Ron Knee

Have been watching the match report and Southampton apparently should be 3 or 4 goals up

Just our luck all the teams around us can grind out results apart from us

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:51 PM

were fact and we know we are

• lochinvar

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Smell a large betting rat – Mackems drawing with own goal and Villa winning away at Southampton

Over to you Steve

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:54 PM

LCBP
    And SAFC have equalised!

• toonking

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:54 PM

charley you might want to keep them posts quiet until full time.

scums now drawing and villa now ahead

curse of the speech