The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren’s Astute Comments After Unbelievable Win

3:48 pm, Monday, December 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Steve McClaren took an enormous amount of criticism last week after the disgrace at Crystal Palace when we were annihilated 5-1 by Alan Pardew’s new side.

But it seems that Steve and his players put in a good week’s work on the training field last week – stayed under the radar screen – and then put in their best performance of the season yesterday.

In what was totally unexpected – Newcastle won the game 2-0 against a resurgent Liverpool side under new manager Jurgen Klopp.

Steve McClaren gini wijnaldum liverpool 2-0

Steve McClaren congratulates Man of the Match Gini Wijnaldum

And not only that – but we deserved the win which is maybe even more surprising given our form over the previous two games.

This is what Steve McClaren said after the game and he touched on a number of points:

“Let’s hope it’s a light bulb moment that turns it round,”  “This gives us a chance. It saves me from banging my head against the wall tonight and wondering what I’m going to do next week.”

“It’s been a tough two weeks.”  “The team have taken a lot of criticism and rightly so and they gave the only response they can give – on the field. We were nervous at the beginning but this was a deserved win.”

“We’ve shown that if you work hard you’ve got a chance of winning. We’ve shown what we’re capable of doing.” “This team’s got talent, it’s got ability and once we got belief and confidence we show we’ve got good players. This was a huge, huge test for us.“

“We’ve now got to do it again next week and the week after but we’ve shown we can win football matches. We really believe in these players but they’re young and their confidence can be knocked easily. Hopefully having come through this we’ll be a lot stronger.”

“I’d considered leaving all of them out,” “But I’m not getting carried away. There’s a lot of work to do but hopefully they’re learning that, if they stick together, they’ll come through. Credit to Coloccini, he’s had a lot of stick but that was a real captain’s performance from him.”

“With a minute to go I thought we’d probably concede two.” “My emotion at the end was sheer relief. We’ll enjoy this for 24 hours.”

With Steve being under so much pressure you’ve got to admire the way he got the players prepared for this game and after a bit of a nervous start – when we could have conceded an early goal – our lads grew into the game.

It provided a terrific win for everybody associated with Newcastle – after what has been a nightmare season and a nightmare year for the club.

We are hoping for better things ahead both this year and next year.

Tags: Coaching · Interview · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 sickandtired // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM

I’m still trying to figure out WTF Collo was doing racing up the field into their box for the second goal. Explains why he has problems being an actual CB.
    Still only the 5th win in 2015 – and that fact alone doesn’t bode well for “better things ahead”.

• 2 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Currently watching the game again and this is the 3rd time lol. I just love the way we defend, it’s just like Italian teams.

• 3 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM

I hope SDJ can get full fitness and good form, he was out of breath before subtituted.
    I can’t imagine how good we will be if SDJ can reach the same form and fitness as Gini.
    When he was with Ajax, he was exactly the same as Gini for PSV.

• 4 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:09 PM

tbh in the first 2 minutes of the game when liverpool won string of corners I was afraid to watch, closed my eyes hoping they didn’t score.

• 5 martoon // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM

santon3 @2 – I’ve just watched the highlights on MOTD2. What it doesn’t show is we were under the cosh from the beginning and Liverpool had 3 corners at the very start. However we defended well and I think the crowd’s anxiety transmitted to the players. As the game went on and we hadn’t conceded and started to put together some attacks and the crowd and the players confidence grew. Second half was much more even and the crowd got behind the team and the rest is history 🙂

• 6 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM

So it wasn’t just me who was nervous in the first 2 minutes, lol.

• 7 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I can’t remember our match being broadcast simultaneously by 3 channels Beinsports 1 2 3.

• 8 martoon // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Santon3 – I was nervous the whole first half 🙂
    I still think there is room for improvement and to be honest I think we might get beat next week at Spurs but as long as we don’t collapse and beat Villa at home then 6 points from these 3 games will be pretty good

• 9 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM

The only problem is if we conceded 1st. We haven’t able to manage to turn from losing position into winning the game.
    If we play this way, exactly this way then we could win.
    I don’t mind full defensive style like against Bournemouth.

• 10 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:38 PM

I will go crazy and predict we will win our next 3 games, this how happy I am at the moment. 🙂

• 11 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM

One thing I notice in this game is the players communicate more than usual.

• 12 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Was it SDJ effect?

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM

got a feeling that was the Ding Dong influence – was going around talking to players

• 14 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Ding Dong? who is that? SDJ?

• 15 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 4:59 PM

hopefully we sign Santon again in January

• 16 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM

I gotta hand it to McClaren he doesn’t blame the players as much if at all as Pardew and Carver did!

…what a tosser those two were!

• 17 santon3 // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM

this is definitely Italian style defending, only one thing is lacking dirty fouls.

• 18 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Watching the highlights again on BT2 🙂

• 19 bladeuser // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM

SHEEP Out

• 20 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Yes – Siem de Jong

• 21 cyprus // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Excellent last paragraph there. I expected to concede in the last minute of the first half too.

I predicted a win, but, I can’t believe this, it was ‘easier’ than I thought. What happened?

Wijdi has been crap, he was on his game. Like I wrote before, he plays well we win. Not, we lose.

Players pressured the Liverpool players MORE than they did us. So, the loose balls tended to be ours.

The defenders defended!!

Pre-game huddle.

• 22 geordie157 // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM

De Jong looked like he was helping organise the side from the front, made some clever passes, although naturally looked a bit rusty at times.

Fingers crossed he stays fit and gets better and better.

I see marveaux is featuring for the u21s, think if he impresses and his attitude has been good, he’ll take gouffrans place on the bench vs spurs.

• 23 Whumpie // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:28 PM

Ok this is cynical but they do seem to turn it on for the TV cameras. Showing off for potential buyers? Hopefully not.
    Either way – brilliant effort and result. I missed a lot of it but saw the last half hour, which included Sissoko running down the ball theough four opposition players like a man posessed. What an engine.

• 24 eddyinpoole // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:56 PM

sdj was clearly influencing his team mates .very comfortable with the ball and encouraging the side all the time.will be an important player for us this season given the poor start we,ve had and once he gets to full fitness he,ll chip in with vital goals.onwards and upwards…….

• 25 lochinvar // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:02 PM

SDJ was interesting to watch – significantly at times he made shorter intelligent passes that moved the ball away from Liverpool, took pressure of our guys form rushing into mistakes and gave us time to construct moves. On other occasions he quickly moved the ball forwards ( by passing some Liverpool players ) something that in early season matches would have gone sideways ( or backwards). All in all you could see an intelligence in his play that was if understated made a significant contribution to the result. Good to see. If he can get up to full fitness and gain some strength that can only be good news, for once.

• 26 lochinvar // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:03 PM

eddyinpoole – great minds think alike of course !

• 27 eddyinpoole // Dec 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM

its not been easy being a supporter down here in dorset ,given the dross that has been served up these last few years .never stopped believing that it would come good.the backbone of a decent team is there and with a couple of good buys in january we,ll be okay .two defenders and a midfielder with prem experience are needed.onwards and upwards.cheers lochinvar

previous post: These Were Newcastle’s Best Three Players Yesterday