The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Only 6% Saw It Coming

5:20 pm, Monday, December 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

In our poll before the game yesterday we pointed out that 90% of Newcastle fans expected Liverpool to beat us yesterday and in truth probably quite a few thought it would be similar to the previous two games – a heavy loss with Newcastle again being outplayed.

But it was different yesterday and all our players turned up and we had some good performances put in by a number of our players including Gini Wijnaldum, Vurnon Anita, Siem de Jong and Daryl Janmaat – and yes – skipper Fabricio Coloccini also had a good game for us.

And most of those same players were very poor in our previous two games.

gini wijnaldum scores extra time liverpool

Gini Wijnaldum jumps for joy after scoring yesterday

Of course we don’t know who the 6% are who forecast a win yesterday but they were dead right.

I thought we would lose and I was dead wrong.

And while we were stunned at the end of the game and took some time to get our first article out –   I was also delighted to be wrong (again)  – and even more delighted to be dead wrong.

Our players did exactly what was necessary yesterday and they gave all they had in what was a famous win for Newcastle, especially when it mattered so much.

It was the first time since Jurgen Klopp joined Liverpool in early October that the opposition has run more yards than the Liverpool players.

That’s something Steve McClaren must now demand in every single game – that the players give their all and work for each other – and that starts at White Hart Lane next Sunday.

We cannot have another let-down after we moved three steps forward yesterday.

After the Spurs game we hope it’s another two steps forward.

That’s code for maybe a 1-0 win.

If that happens we could be on our way.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Liverpool?

• Lose (90%, 5,410 Votes)
  • Win (6%, 355 Votes)
  • Draw (4%, 214 Votes)

Total Voters: 5,979

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll · Premier League

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Excellent last paragraph there. I expected to concede in the last minute of the first half too.

I predicted a win, but, I can’t believe this, it was ‘easier’ than I thought. What happened?

Wijdi has been crap, he was on his game. Like I wrote before, he plays well we win. Not, we lose.

Players pressured the Liverpool players MORE than they did us. So, the loose balls tended to be ours.

The defenders defended!!

Pre-game huddle.

• 2 geordie157 // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:27 PM

De Jong looked like he was helping organise the side from the front, made some clever passes, although naturally looked a bit rusty at times.

Fingers crossed he stays fit and gets better and better.

I see marveaux is featuring for the u21s, think if he impresses and his attitude has been good, he’ll take gouffrans place on the bench vs spurs.

• 3 geordie157 // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Hopefully the penny has dropped that if we play a pressing style and do that from up top, it takes a bit of pressure off our defence.

• 4 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Cissé to Besiktas for €2 million is all over Turkish media but whether the January or Summer window seems to be the big debate.

I think Cissé’s selection was as much to do with Andre Marriner being the ref (he sent off Mitro v Arsenal ) as with current form.

I think Big Al mark 2 will start against the Spuds with us still retaining the 4-4-1-1.

• 5 Whumpie // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Ok this is cynical but they do seem to turn it on for the TV cameras. Showing off for potential buyers? Hopefully not.
    Either way – brilliant effort and result. I missed a lot of it but saw the last half hour, which included Sissoko running down the ball theough four opposition players like a man posessed. What an engine.

• 6 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:35 PM

There are rumours that Monk is staying at Swansea as coach with Brendan Rodgers coming back as manager !

• 7 Tsunki // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Harry – “Where’s the booze, Lloyd?”
    Lloyd – ” I got mugged by a little old lady on a motorised cart……and I DIDN’T SEE IT COMING!!!”

No I didn’t see this one coming at all. I bet Ray did though.

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM

I liked sickandtireds comment on the previous article – what was Colo doing running up the field, you say? I’d say he was busting his gut for what should have been a nice tap in if Cisse had just passed it sideways. Hardly something to damn the captain for, whatever you think of him, toonbrother brother.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:51 PM

What a shame, I thought Jibberish had drank himself into a stipor and got himself locked up !

• 10 GeordieTwo // Dec 7, 2015 at 5:58 PM

That felt so good we should do it again next weekend. Crisis not averted though Steve. Win 4 of our next 8 and I’ll start to believe.

• 11 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM

The usual suspects have needed no comments from me .

Just go back to the pre match comments then look at the 100mph backtracking after the game.

There are some real sea-going , copper-bottomed tools post on here.

An Example !!

This was Chun Ki’s contribution 81 minutes into the game , where we had clearly played Liverpool off the park.

Tsunki // Dec 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM–Goofy for colback straight swap one aimless runner for another.

Tsunki calls himself a supporter – Ha ha ha

• 12 toon kk // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:05 PM

No wonder the poll was only 6% for a win, going off our past form.
    I’m not getting carried away, one win is a long way from consistency but a step in the right direction. Its when we come up against real pacey teams we just can’t handle it.

• 13 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Amazing stat thinking about tonights game.

Only Arsenal have scored more away points than Crystal Palace in 2015 !!!!

• 14 optimistic prime // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:30 PM

What channel is the draw on?

• 15 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM

BeeB 2 1900

• 16 Tsunki // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Ray it was a wry observation in jest sorry if you don’t like it but that is my appraisal of both players. Bit harsh but life can be unkind. Look at you, for example.

• 17 Vask // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Anyone have a link to a replay of yesterdays game, please?

• 18 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:45 PM

As I say
    Arseholes backtracking at a 100 mph

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Looks like a good documentary on Panorama about FIFA at 2030 tonight

• 20 89Norcal // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:48 PM

@ Vask: try here –

Have to say I was mightily impressed with the performance by 2 of the most criticized and lambasted players in Coloccini and Dummet. Dummet in particular was superb defensively and had Jordan Ibe locked down all game.

Long may it continue. We have the talent, contrary to what many claim on this blog…but we need to belief as well.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:48 PM

96% are ar$eholes on here, just you that isn’t !

• 22 Tsunki // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Ah…attention. Some crave it just that little bit more. Welcome back Ray, blog wouldn’t quite be 100% without you.

• 23 Jib // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:50 PM

• 24 Vask // Dec 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Thanks folks

• 25 bladeuser // Dec 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM

One thing I do not do is backtrack
    We r still shit ASH is a tosser SMAC is a muppet and colo is useless one win does not change a thing
    JIB out