The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Huge Vote Of Confidence For Steve McClaren

8:08 am, Tuesday, December 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Georginio Wijnaldum has been our best player so far this season and he put in another great performance on Sunday afternoon when it really mattered.

Gini added his seventh Premier League goal of the season in stoppage time to set up some wild scenes at St. James’ Park that was seen live all around the world on TV – because we knew at that time we had beaten a very strong Liverpool side 2-0 and we fully deserved the win.

We know that’s true because the very impressive Jurgen Klopp said exactly that after the game – and he’s always right.

gini wijnaldumm liverpool

Georginio Wijnaldum – another great game for Newcastle

Georginio shows definite signs of becoming a great player at Newcastle and Kevin Keegan and others have been singing his praises since the great win against the Reds.

He looks like poetry in motion when he gets the ball and he has skills galore – and  surely this lad is a future captain of Newcastle United – sooner rather than later.

The players worked their socks off for the cause on Sunday and it was a performance that was as good as it was surprising and a lot of us thought we would be hammered by a resurgent Liverpool side under Jurgen Klopp.

It was the kind of shock result that says that Newcastle may be able to get out of trouble this season – and hopefully before too long – it’s very difficult when the side is in the bottom three of the Premier League.

And Wijnaldum has come out today in full support of his manager:

“I didn’t know that there was talk about the trainer’s future, but I don’t think it’s the fault of the trainer that we performed badly.”

“I think it’s the fault of the players. But that’s the thing in football, sometimes when things go badly everyone says the trainer is responsible for that.”

“It’s not fair every time, especially not in our case, because I think for this club he’s the best that we can get right now.”

“I hope that the club will give him the faith and keep him here.” “I hope they do that but I didn’t know there were complaints about him, but we fought especially for the team and not just the trainer.”

That’s  a strange comment – he’s the best we can get right now – but maybe he’s just struggling with his English – his second language.

Newcastle still have too much trouble scoring goals and we must sign a good striker in January.

But on Sunday it was Gini who produced two pieces of magic in the penalty box to get us the two goals that meant a precious 3 points.

If he wasn’t playing on Sunday, the best we could hope for probably was a 0-0 draw.

Gini’s support of his manager will help Steve McClaren, but we cannot have any more collapses.

Two more defeats against Tottenham and Aston Villa in the next two games will have things back to where they were before the Liverpool game.

We don’t want that to happen.

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Premier League

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:10 AM

you are probably right on that. I’m hoping we go on on Leicester-type run and leave the likes of Chelsea, Norwich and the others in it 🙂

I put us for a top 6 finish, so I don’t belong in the ‘sad’ category. I’m extremely ambitious with this club, if only things ‘click’. We are the sleeping giant, to quote Laudrup. On cups, I can stand up and see that they are trees. The forest is the PL. I don’t agree with MA, he agrees with me 🙂 Priorities are a must in life. PL first, cups second. If you are like tenth, go for it, all out…

Jesper, tbh, I share your fear, but try to disguise it, in case the players and Steve are reading to kill some time.

• 2 Bambams // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Nobody wants that.
    I am not sure the team can play every game for the rest of the season at such intensity. I hope so because effort will have to win us games due to skill is lacking with some of our players.
    I hope Mitro and Perez get the breaks soon, those two look like confidence players. I would also give SDJ a decent run – possibly give him the armband and take some pressure off the out of form Colo (bar Liverpool match)
    I am sure SDJ is vice captain already.
    Who do we bring in as a striker in Jan ? Massive pressure to get this one right

• 3 cyprus // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM

On this player:

He has been our best, but also our worst. Not sure why. I’ve noticed that when he plays well we tend to win. When not, we lose. He’s key.

Have to feel for Perez, who lost his place having been our best player. When he came on he was a shadow of himself. Still, both him and Mitro shouldn’t have to carry the weight of saving us from relegation on their young shoulders, so maybe Steve is right in shifting it to SDJ.

From what I’ve seen up to now, Perez is way better, for the record.

• 4 cyprus // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:22 AM

On SDJ,
    we have all dropped the bar so low, we almost gave him MOM for finding a couple passes and putting his foot in a couple times. Don’t get me wrong, I was thrilled as well.

But, like the commentator said after another wayward pass, maybe that’s why he’s been on the bench. Captain? From the bench? Not yet man.

• 5 mindshaft // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:22 AM

strange comments from Gini – hardly backing McClaren ..
    Think some people are getting carried away with the win over bin dippers – we put a lot of effort in and played some decent stuff 2nd half but they were as poor as they were under Rodgers
    Bin dippers only beat Swansea due to a dodgy ref decision – Klopp can only motivate, Rodgers bought a load of poor players
    Anyway, we should get an idea if the players are actually up for putting the effort in over next 3 games – I’d be happy if we get 4 points out of them although hope for 9
    Fatty – out
    penfold – out
    McClaren – out
    Rodgers – don’t come
    Moyes – don’t come

• 6 Jib // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:22 AM

The winner of this years FA cup will get £3million plus entry to Europa cup(woopydoo)

For Champions League final
    Barcelona €57.9 million Juventus €63 million

For getting relegated from EPL
    18 Hull City(8 matches on tv) £66.6m
    19 Burnley(8 matches on tv) £65.3m
    20 QPR(11 matches on tv) £64.8m

Chelsea got £99 million for winning EPL.

(remember it’s pounds v euros)

Bit of a no brainer if you ask me.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Yes you are right, given the choice of winning the league or the FA cup is a no brainer, thank you for yet another astute observation.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Nobody did. In fact does anybody ever ask you anything.

previous post: Newcastle Draw Watford Away In FA Cup