The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Star Player Demonstrates He´s A Future Captain Of Newcastle

2:42 pm, Tuesday, December 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 98 Comments

Newcastle’s man of the Match on Sunday – Georginio Wijnaldum – have given an interview and he comes across as a real team player and simply a class act.

Gini’s also a fantastic player for us and the fee of £14.5M at the moment is looking cheap for what this lad can do for Newcastle United in the future.

The former PSV Eindhoven midfielder became the PSV captain following the retirement of Mark van Bommel and the departure of Kevin Strootman to Roma in the summer of 2013.

Gini Wijnaldum – future Newcastle captain?

Gini is a very non-assuming kind of guy and in this interview he’s only thinking of the team:

“I always have the faith and the confidence that I will make and score goals from everywhere when I play.”

“But for me I don’t care if I score or don’t score in some games – I just want to win, especially when we’re in this kind of situation we’re in.”

“So I think in this situation you don’t think about yourself, you must think about the team.”

“If you can help the team with goals then this is good but if I don’t score and we win then I am happy also.”

“Yeah, definitely – we spoke very honestly to one another.” “You have to be honest.” “If you want to go further and stand higher in the rankings you have to be honest with each other.”

“Sometimes it’s hard to be honest but the thing is you have to be honest with the team, because then you will go forward.”

The 24 times capped Ditch Intentional had performed poorly in the previous two games but like a lot of his colleagues they were ready for the stiff test against the reds and it was our best win of the season easily – especially since we only have three.

Fabricio Coloccini could well be in his final season at Newcastle unless he plays much better in the second half of the season and Gini would make a great future captain of Newcastle.

The other player who would be in the running to take over as captain would be his Dutch teammate Daryl Janmaat.

What do you think?

Tags: Captain · Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Premier League

98 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Dec 8, 2015 at 3:32 PM

I’ve been critical of Janmaat’s defending, but credit to him, he played very well this Sunday. Both FBs played their part thus ‘allowing’ the CBs to play their OWN positions and not babysit the two.

I like it when Janm communicates with the crowd.

Also, thanks Steve (or Black or whomever) for doing the huddle. It may seem trivial, but it shows a team spirit and yes, those last words (was it Elliott telling them? That’s what it seemed like) can fire you up.

On Widji, like I said, he plays well we win. He doesn’t we’re lost.

• 2 lesh // Dec 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Colo could be in his last season at SJP could he? Could be surely should read should be!

He’s shown himself to be inconsistent both as a player and captain where in leadership on the pitch and, we are led to believe off it.

Charnley’s best and probably only fwend seems to be protected but in business, that should never be the case.

• 3 JP...from The Rock // Dec 8, 2015 at 3:39 PM

No doubt should be captain! My favourite player along with Ayoze. Janmaat is a close second for captain as he always gives his all on the pitch and for a defender is an inspiration to our players when he constantly bombs forward to make things happen for us.

• 4 Tsunki // Dec 8, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Well if that’s the nominations for next captain I think I’ll abstain. Doubt Wino be here that long and Janmaat, like the aforementioned not consistent or ever present in the motivation arena.

• 5 Tsunki // Dec 8, 2015 at 3:41 PM

And again I say captain in midfield, an organiser who can be heard all around the pitch. If only SDJ could stay fit and be in the team regularly, he might be a good shout.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 3:44 PM

SDJ is the closest to a captain. From the current squad I would prefer to bring in a centre half or dominant all round midfielder who could take the captaincy. Some might be okay, but none are good options on what we have seen of them at NUFC.

• 7 Jib // Dec 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM

For those who do not have pay sport tv.
    Don’t forget there is a free CL game on BT Showcase tonight at 19.30 ————————PSV (Gini’s old club) v CSKA Moscow.
    Channel 59 on normal telly and 548 on Virgin.
    Sorry I don’t know the number on a skybox

• 8 goommy // Dec 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Give him an armband now!!

• 9 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM

To much is made of this captain nonsense, we need leaders, they don’t need to be captains but should be able to organise the lads and be vocal no matter where they play or whether they are captain or not

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Our Toon,
    Ah, ut if we had one of those, or buy one of those they should probably have the armband. You should have leaders in each area of the field, NUFC fans make a lot of the captaincy because we have barely had one since Barton, Nolan, Harper et al were chased out of the club.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM

*but not ut

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Our Toon,
    Captain nonsense ??? Viera, Keane, Adams, Terry, a Captain is a huge part of a successful team !

• 13 SPRINGY // Dec 8, 2015 at 5:22 PM

i think if we sign a decent cb i can see colo dropping out of the side fairly quick…especially if he picks up an injury….he’ll not get back in i dont think….he could probably end up being a coach if does’nt head back to argy

• 14 defenders needed // Dec 8, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Our Toon you do definatly need a captain to order the team whilst playing otherwise everyone would run around with no order doing there own thing after all the manager is not always in shouting distance of were the action is. So someone needs to be amongst the players who has great leadership to dictate what needs to be done. Like Jail for ashley has said with great leaders comes great results.

• 15 BandB // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM

It’s hard to think of a great team which didn’t have an inspirational and respected captain.

• 16 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:13 PM

I agree Springy. In January window we definitely need a class CB & two good full backs. Injuries at NUFC is a long standing problem. We have 10 first squad out at present & many are long term like Krul, Haidara,Lascelles & sick note Saylor. This is situation that really needs looking hard at. Our defence is on the bare bones yet again!

• 17 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:14 PM

I think we’ll sign the following:

Raphael Guerriero – £7m
    Joel Matip – £7m
    Andros Townsend – Loan
    Clement Grenier – £9m
    Berahino – £15m

Total spend = £38m

• 18 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Give Riviere and Marveaux a chance when they’re ready.

• 19 Jib // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Someone was asking about Marveaux earlier.
    According to the latest Magpies 24/7 he is doing quite heavy training by himself still – one on one – but is making a good recovery — 4 weeks more

• 20 SPRINGY // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:28 PM

i think it was magpie season,but wanted to know myself cheers for the update

• 21 clinath@ed // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Didn’t Marveaux ply for the reserves (U21s) last night?

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Yes, he did. Came off near the end. He also travelled with the squad to Bournemouth I think.

• 23 clinath@ed // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Your on late tonight Lil….usually a morning blogger, clocks changed over there for Christmas?

• 24 BandB // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:44 PM

You are on late too Clinath.
    About six weeks!

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM

It is planting season, so my day gets a bit messed up. Combination of that and the better half not being in, plus no training tonight. It won’t happen often!

• 26 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Like your list mate but pretty sure Spurs had a bid of about 20 million rejected by West Brom in the summer for Berahino

• 27 clinath@ed // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Nice one BandB. Yes been a while since I blogged. But I’m here everyday reading all the views put forward, football related or not.
    To be honest the Jib vs Mr Tuff continual bitch fest put me off from commenting on anything football wise….anyway, better people than me seemed to put more succinctly..

• 28 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM

I think S Mc only “renewed” his captaincy at the start of the season to keep him at NUFC & stop him relinking up with Pards. Should have let him go & signed Virgil van Dijk but obviously Soton are a bigger club than us.WE also lost out to them with Toby Alderwield before he went to Spurs. Still we haven’t got a great track record when it comes to signing CBs – Marcellino, Boumsong, Dabizas, Helder to name just a few. But we do need a good un in the window to cover injuries & possible suspensions. The defernce is on it’s bare bones just at present

• 29 chuck // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah !
    He’s the best thing since sliced bread.
    Do you guys really watch the game, for people to criticize Colo. who has played well (and did so on Sunday) for this club since he arrived, is no more than idiotic showing your ignorance.

Wheras to boost Wijnaldum who often goes missing and as a result the entire left side goes with him, all attacking coming from our best players Janmaat and Sissoko via the right.

An unbalanced side thats lacks an attacking L/ FB plus a real winger, sure Wijnaldum scored, but should be played as the no.10 being both Perez or DeJong have failed to cement that role.

There are even those who knock the right side pair (the sides hardest working players) Sissoko & Janmaat.

It appears ignorance rules on these blogs.

• 30 clinath@ed // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Lilongwe, enjoy your planting then. Btw, could you put a link to your website on here, as I’ve lost it.
    Regarding the TOON, thought Sunday’s performance from everyone was excellent, but being ever the cautious one it does worry me that they only seem to turn it on against the “big” clubs, and when on TV….
    Reminds of a Liverpool side of a few years ago, when full of primadonnas…..

• 31 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM

We also need to look at a lot of the “also rans” we have on our books. . Need to offload them if anyone will take them & also if we can afford to given our usual “injury crisis”. Really do need everyone fit if we are going to push on after Sunday’s performance. Not sure if Marvaux & Riviere are really good enough even as squad players

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Ha. It is not exactly enjoyable! Hopefully the rains will be better this year, and it will be more rewarding though.

Which website mate? I haven’t had a chance to be doing any proper writing recently as I’m busy with my academy/NGO, business and my masters.

The academy is linked through my name on here, and the tours site is

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM

It’s a blog, for all Anita played well I thought some of his passing was terrible, differing opinions doesn’t mean ignorance, unless of course you think Mike Ashley is good for the club !

• 34 jayphoto // Dec 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Was working on sunday so listened to the match on the Radio rather than watching it!
    The commentator summed up Coloccini completely.
    He said Colocinni on sunday constantly took risks and made blind guesses when it came to positioning and marking that were all paying off and making him look like a world class defender but on another day could have all backfired and cost his side a number of goals.
    If thats not coloccini summed up completely i don’t know what does

• 35 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Not saying he didn’t play well Sunday but he then has a mare & we get leathered. He’s coming to the end of his sell by date & wouldn’t have been picked against Liverpool if Willo had been fit. Glad because regrettably Willo isn’t Premiership!

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Collocini has at times played excellent for the club, so much so he had his own song and made PL team of the year, but over the last few seasons this has become a rarity and his tenure as captain is nothing short of a disgrace.

• 37 BandB // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Do you speak Chewa Lil?

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Added to the fact he has the worst goals against record of any defender in the history of the PL.

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:03 PM

I agree on the match. I said pretty much the same thing yesterday morning. It was the same under Pardew, they always put more effort in against the big clubs and in the glamour matches. We often got a result in them.

Hopefully that means we turn up next week against Spuds.

• 40 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM

A little bit. The area where my farms are the predominant local language is Yao, and I don’t speak much of that either. Most business here is conducted in English though, so most people have a basic grasp of English. Between their English and my Chewa and Yao we can communicate fairly easily.

• 41 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Mauro Zarate would be a great signing.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM

People tend to accept a 40% possesion with few chances if it means beating a big team, Pardew specialised in this and still is, it’s when teams come to do the same that the plan falls down, it is not nice football and with poor defenders can result in some spankings, hence the fact we have been turned over 4 and 5-0 probably more than any club over the last four years. I hope Mclaren isn’t about to take a leaf out of Pardews book once we are safe.

• 43 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Yeah, that is a part of it, but it is noticeable the difference in effort from some of the players when we play the big teams. A few of them always try and put the effort in, but because the whole team doesn’t, nobody looks good.

• 44 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Terry is still at Chelsea last time I looked, the point I’m making is that the relevance of captain isn’t as big as having big personalities on the pitch, leaders (plural) not 1 stand out leader. SDJ for example, he wasn’t captain but he was still vocal in organising the players. You need players on the pitch that have character and are able to fight through adversity. Not 1 person who orders everyone around.

I’m happy for Colo to remain as captain this season even if we buy serious leaders vocal players elsewhere on the pitch. A captain will not win you games but leaders will!!

• 45 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Defenders needed

You didn’t understand the point I was making and I wouldn’t expect players to be running around aimlessly without instructions, each facet of the team organisation need to be done by individuals who are responsible for carrying out there own work/duties.

• 46 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM

I agree with you regarding not having leaders since them 2 were chased out but sdj has been a leader at all levels throughout his career. Apart from him we have no others, I’ve said this multiple times, leaders are needed…..give the armband to the tea lady for all I care. Wijinaldum is not a leader but he’s a very good player.

• 47 clinath@ed // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Sorry Lilongwe, I’d no sooner clicked submit when I realized your name was the link….gettin too old for this technology gibberish mate…lol.
    Jail….don’t see how you set out to have a certain amount of possession before a game. Surely it’s just a statistic, and a consequence of how you’ve setup and how the game has panned out.
    If you mean by accepting less possession than your opponent you plan to play counter attacking football, then I understand.

• 48 clinath@ed // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:32 PM

I agree SDJ looked like captain material Our Toon, on Sunday. But we’ve seen so little of him since his arrival, it’s difficult to put a strong argument forward just yet.

• 49 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Mbemba could well prove to be the best CB signing we’ve made for some considerable time. I’m not trying to drive Colo out as he’s been a good servant to the Club but quite honestly who else have we got in that position.Willo the Weak (says it all) Saylor the sick note (says it all) Hopefully Lascelles is one for the future but at present untried & untested. Therefore we have problems in that position & will continue to have until the powers that be rectify it!

• 50 jayphoto // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Danny Murphy said newcastles problems stem from trying to play a style of possession football under McClaren that the squad wasn’t technically good enough to win games against other premier league teams as our better players like sissokos best attributes are physical not technical and possession football sees them predominantly use their weakest elements rather than playing to their strengths.
    We have a good squad when used right. Under pardew we played a striker with no physical attributes and lumped it long constantly. Under mcClaren we have mitrovic who is completely physical and then don’t put it into the box.
    I see thauvin is coming off the bench more and more and think he’ll be a player eventually. I definately think thauvin is going to be key to mitrovics success as hes the only player we have thats puts it into the box consistently

• 51 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:44 PM

The fact remains there are very few good Centre Backs in the Premiership. Would you want : Mangala, Demechelis, Skirtel, Lovren, Mertesacker, even Smalling isn’t the greatest & these are from top clubs.
    Even Kompany is making mistakes. John Terry is still one of the best & by rights well passed his sell by date hence their interest in John Stones. You must look ahead to strengthen your squad & we always seem to be just a couple of players short.

• 52 welshgeordie9 // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Would anyone on here have Glen Hoddle as the next manager or coach.

• 53 welshgeordie9 // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:48 PM

• 54 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:51 PM

I gotta agree with Our Toon on the captain issue!

I want leaders not a undropable captain! It just gives you less options when tweaking the tactics…

• 55 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Well Jayphoto, I hope you are right Thauvin cost a hell of a lot of money. Present game can not carry prima donnas.We’ve had these flamboyant Frenchmen in the past Robert, Ben Arfa, Cabella & even Davide Ginola (but he got away with it because he was playing in a top class side). In the modern game these sort of players don’t seem to contribute enough they are in and out of the game. Yes we all love skill but now it has to be coupled with hard graft. The boy Thauvin had rave revues in France but the Prem is a completely different ball game. He has talent I hope he does well

• 56 bladeuser // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Why is it a player becomes a star again after a few goals in one match when in the previous six games he is garbage that’s how fickle u lot r in other words u haven’t got a clue
    SHEEP Out

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Our Toon,
    What has Terry still being at Chelsea got to do with anything.
    I’m not dure what else it could be other than a counter attacking style.
    I really do hope it’s got nothing to do with players putting in the extra shift in front of teams they’d like to move to.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:55 PM

User of blades,
    What is your solution and to what ?

• 59 clinath@ed // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Welsh….I wouldn’t have Hoddle manage a pub side. Talks a good game, but only with 20-20 hindsight. Not seen any evidence that the man could influence 22 millionaires to perform twice a week.
    Never have been a fan of his, even as a player, thought he was lazy and overrated…..

• 60 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Jesperfulgsang – We know but as I said in previous comments we haven’t got a fit alternative to Colo!!!! & taking the Captaincy of him at present would certainly have a detrimental affect on him especially after the Liverpool game. Any change in captaincy should have taken place at the start of the season

• 61 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Bladeuser – sharpening your knives again for what? Let’s have something constructive for a change on this blog please

• 62 jayphoto // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM

@west lancs – I really liked Thauvin in france, hes definately got the ability to reach the level of Nasri whos a similar style of player.
    Whether he does it in newcastle or even at all is open to question and down to him. Worries me that its pretty common knowledge he didn’t particularly want to come to the premier league. Forced out of marseille because of their money situation and no one in france that could afford him wanted or needed him. So far he doesn’t look like hes even got the desire to succeed here but it may be a number of things, he didnt speak a word of english, pretty sure his gf still lives in france, was still living in a hotel in october so really not settled yet. Remember henry looking like an absolute clown for 6 months when he first signed for Arsenal so i hope he can improve in the second half of the season

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM

I remember KK taking the captaincy off of Venison for disciplinary reasons, not sure how many players over the years have been stripped of the captaincy and remained at the club.

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:05 PM

I mean anywhere not just here

• 65 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM

No probs Jay – take on board all you have said. We’ve always loved entertainers at The Toon & whilst the jury is still definitely out we all hope he settles & does good.

• 66 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Yeah JFA you are right & let’s be honest we can’t afford to upset anyone at this moment in time especially with so many defenders on the injury list & no real sign of any creditable replacements – at least not in that area.

• 67 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Bladeuser -please don’t leave it to all the sheep, the debate is open to all with any constructive views you know.

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM

You don’t seem to want the sheep out as much as the others, is there something you’ve not told us !

• 69 BandB // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Our Toon,

Not all captains are great footballers. Not all are great thinkers or generals.
    Some are just Centurions. The kind of guy who’ll plant the eagle and say: “this spot is where I live or die…are you with me?”
    John McGovern and Tommy Smith (both a bit before my time) were like that.
    Sometimes its the corporal who saves the day when the ranking guy bricks it.
    I said on Sunday that De Jong or another might be de facto captain and lead by that example, whether they have the armband or not. Time will tell if they can. There isn’t a strong case, as Clinath says.
    So I see your point.
    But it would be better still if the guy with the pips earned his commission.

• 70 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Terry still at Chelsea has alot to do with it as you mentioned him on your list of brilliant captains which he is, but they need others like him. They’ve sold big leaders like Drogba, Ballack, Lampard and Cole etc. Without these players chelsea look lost as they don’t have any other leaders. A captain can only do so much but if he doesn’t have other leaders he’s utterly useless!!

• 71 JamesToon // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:18 PM

I think if we are able to string a good run of results together to get us out of the bottom 5/6, then I think mcclaren and cathro can slowly start to reintroduce a possession game, playing out the back from goalkicks, building up play then creating chances in the final third, as long as we retain our pressing game against Liverpool.

• 72 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:18 PM

I hope you’re right about Thauvin, it’s much better having good players.

• 73 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:18 PM

That’s the point I’m making mate, I’m not arsed who appointed as club captain, I’m arsed about the lack of leaders on the pitch. Give me 2 or 3 leaders over 1 appointed captain any day of the week

• 74 JamesToon // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Like I’m sure many found the same, first game of the season against saints, it was so refreshing to see the keeper pass it short to centre halts who split with one CM dropping in and FBs pushing up, and at times we played some lovely football creating triangles, but we still lacked that pressing game to make it harder to break us down and create more chances by winning the ball higher up

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Our Toon,
    I think Chelseas slump is a lot more complex than a lack of leaders on the pitch.

• 76 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:24 PM

The apparent best league / most competitive league in the world could have 2 clubs out of Europe’s best competition at the group stage!! All hype the prem at the minute….poor standard of football

• 77 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM

One could argue if they had leaders on the pitch then they’d get out of the mess they are in.

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Our Toon,
    You simply cannot dismiss the importance of a good solid captain is all

• 79 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:28 PM

If we can put pressure on the the ball & outrun Liverpool we can do it against anyone. Thats why the Foxes are top of the league(at the moment) they are all action and everyone is working for each other. A breath of fresh air.

• 80 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:31 PM

A bit worried the possession based game makes us like Man Utd under Van Gaal

Would much rather we play quick counter attacking football with high pressing but also to be quite direct with crosses into the box ! No point signing Mitrovic if we are not going to play to his strengths !

But if we have 100% commitment and energy like this after every game we will beat a lot of teams because we do have players who are creative when in the mood

• 81 Our Toon // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:32 PM

I’m not dismissing it, just don’t think it’s as important as having leaders

• 82 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:33 PM

OT -spot on but look at the CBs in English Clubs in Europe at present all littered with mistakes. Mangala & Demichelis for City. Mertersacker (the carthorse) for Arsenal, Smalling (Man U), Zouma (Chelski) & all cost a hell of a lot of money. We couln’t afford them thank goodness.
    WE need a good ‘un but I don’t know where we are going to get one from

• 83 Tsunki // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:33 PM

Captains not important, just strong voices you say? Hmm. Try that on a Royal Navy ship. You need ONE leader and a team mentality from everyone else. Otherwise your ship will run aground. A bit like…nufc have recently. Hopefully the salvage crew are starting to get results. 🙂

• 84 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM

LCBP – but if that’s the way we have to play to get some points on the board then so be it. How many games have we been in front & lost points in last 15 minutes through going too gung ho?
    There will be situations where we will need to use certain players Mitro included.

• 85 BandB // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM

I am going to break ranks and say Liverpool sh*te on Sunday.
    We did not beat the team that put six past Southampton.
    We beat a team that thought if they could do that, they could swallow us at a canter.
    Their manager used the word sh*t (I can’t remember anyone else ever doing that, despite his smile) to describe how they played.
    I hoped they might do a Chelsea, and they did.
    Pardew was better. He said “scare this team and they’ll crumble.”
    Liverpool tried to tickle us out of it. We don’t mind that. We are the masters of thinking we are better than we are.
    Let’s all hope Spurs think the points are already in the bag too.

• 86 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM

Think a lot of teams sign defenders for more of their ball playing ability rather than defensive capability

I think we would be better with proper solid defenders who love to defend leave the ball playing abilities to the midfielders

• 87 Tsunki // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:38 PM

it’s easy to put down a stat like most goals conceded by a PL defender on Colo but that only tells you he’s had a weak crew and a shoddy defensive midfield, plus the odd insubstantial keeper to play with. it’s the same old pointless stuff used to try and derail one of the only two decent cb’s we have and have had in years. He’s no captain, and his shoddy display in transfer windows gets my back up, but he’s not the disastrous thing toonbotherer goes on about.

• 88 angelswithdirtyfaces // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:38 PM

WLG & LCBP

Maybe the players will realise that a style of play that is more energy based than tika taka possession, (Didn’t the Reds have 60% possession Sunday?) but quick passing and running off the ball with leadership thrown in from the Dutch guys will win matches. Footballers aren’t the quickest on the uptake after all.

• 89 Tsunki // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM

BandB I said that on the day, this was a spent looking Liverpool and although I don’t want to detract from the performance (even on an off day they are still a tough draw) I don’t think they were the side that won so decisively a few days before.

• 90 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Tsunki – I like your comparison & can see your logic but we have an Argie as Captain. Does that hold water with your theory.
    But your right teamwork makes the Dream work. More of the same please.

• 91 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:46 PM

AWDF – yes we were the best team & commentators will say the Reds were well below par but the fact is we covered more Kms/Miles than they did & we closed them down quickly & we defended better& took our chances. Something we didn’t do against Leicester, & Crystal Palace or Bournemouth for that matter

• 92 BandB // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:47 PM

I could have said it, but a win is a win and our lads needed to celebrate.
    But we can’t have the “we’ve cracked it” mentality we had after Norwich.
    I thought Liverpool would be crap because, as Angels says, footballers are generally thick and arrogant. It’s one of the few sports were people regularly get beat by relaxing and being mentally a mile off the pace.
    Liverpool are the champs at taking their foot off the gas when the teams above them have flopped.

• 93 Tsunki // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:48 PM

West Lancashire – agreed – as I said, he’s no captain. We need one. I was encouraged by SDJ who seemed to have immeasurably more impact as a Marshal than as a player, although his playing was tidy and astute if a little economical. Id like a character like that in the team full time.

• 94 West Lancs Geordie // Dec 8, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Well going to watch Capital now – remember “We want what you’ve got “- that’s a message to all those teams that’s got more points than us.
    Van Gaal has a cob on by the way 2-1 down at Wolfsburg (One of McLaren’s old clubs)

• 95 Tsunki // Dec 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Well we will only know for sure the extent of progress after the Spuds game.

• 96 Blofal // Dec 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Tunski I agree.

Trying to fit Perez, Sissoko, Gini and SDJ on the same pitch though is difficult. But our build up play was much more solid with SDJ as number 10.

I don’t think Gini’s best position is number 10 as has been suggested by some on this blog. I think it is wide right where he was playing with PSV. Can’t complain with how he is playing out left though.

To be honest I am happy for Perez to play off the bench. He has a lot of energy and can change the game running at tired defences. It’s more important at the moment that we start strong and don’t concede early. And I think SDJ up front helps.

The other thing that became glaringly obvious to me during that last game was Anita. Great pressure from him defensively but whenever the was a combination of one touch passes he inevitably gave the ball away..

One priority in the next window for me needs to be a class defensive midfielder (amongst all the other holes in our squad). We need someone taking the role that Cabaye currently is at Palace. Someone who can protect the back for and set things up from the back. Colback is solid but not a playmaker.

To be honest I would bring in Leroy Fer. He failed a medical at the Mackems and the last thing we need is an injury prone player. But if we can get him on loan and he stays fit he is premier league proven and can play that role for the time being.

• 97 Blofal // Dec 8, 2015 at 9:14 PM

I’d also like to give kudos to Cisse. I have ripped on him for the last year (and rightly so) but the last two games he has worked very hard off the ball. Obviously being dropped and having some decent coaching has helped.

• 98 eaststandgeordie1982 // Dec 8, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Does anyone else think we should go after Rhodes instead of Austin?

previous post: Newcastle Interested In 23 Year-Old Jamaican Defender