The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Striker Confident And Very Happy

8:59 am, Sunday, December 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 103 Comments

Papiss Cisse along with Cheick Tiote have already taken a lot of criticism this season for supposedly being bad apples in the Newcastle dressing team but according to manager Steve McClaren nothing could be further from the truth.

And comments from striker Papiss Cisse suggest he is not a problem at all and simply want to play well and score goals for Newcastle – and it looks like we need his goals this season.

Last season Papiss wasn’t 100% fit with that bed knee of his, but that didn’t stop him from scoring 11 Premier League goals in 22 games and this season he has a couple of goals in 10 appearances.

papiss cisse socred 10 minsCrystal+Palace+v+Newcastle+United+Premier+zf-51zIvpY_l

Papiss Cisse – seems upbeat

The 30-year-old has given a long interview and he seems to be upbeat about things at the moment:

“I try to do my job every minute they give me.” “I have to play well every time.” “It’s not easy sometimes, but I have to keep my head up and take my chances and show something for the gaffer and the players as well.”

“The players believe in me, and the gaffer as well.” “Sometimes I get five minutes, but the gaffer is giving me 80 or 90 minutes, and I’m happy.”

“I’m very happy,” “I know myself, if I work hard, I can show something good.” “If I get the ball, I can score goals.” It’s not easy sometimes, but I keep going. I’m happy and I smile every time.”

“The important thing was the three points.” “Heads were down after the game we lost against Crystal Palace.” “We had to keep our heads up and to do something and to show something.”

“We have good players, but if you lose every week, your heads go down.” “The gaffer spoke a lot, and the players as well. We spoke face to face. We needed to do something.” “We worked very hard together and won the game.”

“We were very happy. All the players did everything together.” “We were very happy with the three points.” “It’s hard to get three points in this league. All the players, and the gaffer, spoke together. We needed points.”

“Every player had that in their head. We had to win our duels, and we did that.”

We did really well last week to defeat Liverpool 2-0 and it was the highlight of the season so far and was our second win in four games.

But in the other games we conceded eight goals and lost 3-0 to Leicester at home and 5-1 at Crystal Palace, so we don’t know which team will turn up this afternoon at White Hart Lane.

But we must become more consistent and wins are important if we are to move away from the relegation zone,  where we are at the moment in 3rd bottom place.

We are hoping for at least a draw today and expect Papiss Cisse to start up front with Siem de Jong in an unchanged side.

What do you think?

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Interview · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League · Press

103 responses so far ↓

• 1 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:01 AM

coining it in and riding the babes

• 2 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:03 AM

I do actually think the key to saving this season is to replace both Cisse and Tiote with proper players granted with experience and leadership ability!

…we need an experienced core to help the young inexperienced players.

A Colo upgrade will be needed as well

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:06 AM

jesper,
    I’d be more than happy for Cisse to stay unless they can bring in another striker with PL experience that could grab one goal in three at least, that Beranho sounds good but just a few stumbling blocks in getting him to join.

• 4 Ron Knee // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Lindisfarne

McClaren’s sighs of regret are deafening in that article!

• 5 sing in the corner // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Humbug alert
    What the hell…?? Watching MOTD rerun…what exactly are Everton doing? How did they fail to stuff Norwich outa sight? When you’re down in the dirt you hope teams do what they should against your ‘rivals’ – Norwich should be below us in the bottom 3, at least til this afternoon, on GD,right now.
    Mind you swings and roundabouts..
    Last game of last season we could have been in the Championship if West Ham had bothered to turn up against us and another result went a different way.
    We need to produce another grafting performance today. Draw at best I think..if we can stay in it for the first 20 we can reassess…

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:27 AM

sitc,
    I’d take a hard working shyte 0-0 draw now if given the choice.

• 7 geordie157 // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:36 AM

I’m going for either a 2-2 draw or we get stuffed 4-0.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:42 AM

I’m going for 0-1 Mitro

• 9 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:43 AM

get jib to google the result

• 10 hibbitt // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:43 AM

my youngest got the score spot on last week this week he’s going 1-1 so i am going with him on this one ……. what do i know about modern football ha ha

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Jibberish,
    That’s the way out

• 12 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Jail…no need to let anyone go unless we replace them with experience and ability of course!

If that happens I’ll glad drive Cisse, Tiote and Colo to the Airport

• 13 davetoon // Dec 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Like him or not Cisse is our best striker by far and I can understand why McClaren woyld play him

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Oh well, flights have been cancelled, might have to slink off to my room at four o clock
    😎

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Great 💡

• 16 croftus5678 // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:03 AM

i <3 mitrovic but we do not play to his strength's when we dont get crosses in the box.

goals and assists from wij and siss are all good and well but if we are playing with makeshift wingers who use speed more than crossing ability then the faster cisse is prob the best option for the game.

i'd still love to see the 5-3-2 formation tbh though as i still think janmaat and hairdryer are by far our best crossers from the wings.

—————-elliott——————
    ——mbem—colo—dumm——-
    jan———————————hair
    ——siss——colb—–wij———-
    ————ciss—–mit—————-

• 17 runheed // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Hi everyone. I think we have to look at each possible match result using the principle that ‘you couldn’t make it up’, that is, what is the most unlikely result. We I reckon that as we haven’t had anyone sent off in a couple of games we might end up with less than the full complement at the end of this game and a battling draw as a result. We might even get a corner again..

• 18 Ron Knee // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM

hibbitt

I’d go for that!

• 19 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Anyone been watching Bournemouth recently?

Gosling looks fantastic playing for them !! Exactly the kind of terrier that we need in the middle

I actually think last week we shat it when Bournemouth beat Chelsea which forced us into a performance so kind of hoping last night will shock us into another !

• 20 hibbitt // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:27 AM

ron last week i thought we were looking at a thrashing but he never changed his tune and was proved right we would win ………….boy have i had some stick of the kids this week……..but what do i know only watched them for 50 years still dont get it right

• 21 Sav // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Always had a soft spot for Cisse. Going into games like today, he is always liable to get one as the level of opposition seems to make little difference to his game. He got a lot of blame for offsides when we were hoofing straight long balls to him under Pards, especially after Cabaye left. Maybe under Macca he will regain his goal touch.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM

LCBP,
    To be honest I’ve got no regrets about letting Gosling go, he was one of my least favourite players of recent memory along with Obertorone, Danny Simpson however was a real waste, just the type of player a successful team needs as a back up squad player. Unfortunately we wanted to play players like him and Williamson as ‘purples’ but only call them and pay them as sh!tty browns !

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Sav,
    How can any toon fan not have a soft spot for Cisse, his goals that first season were out of this world and he has been seriously mismanaged in a shyte team ever since. If it wasn’t for the fact he s now filthy rich he must have severe regrets of joining Mikeys mediocrity

• 24 Belfast // Dec 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Attack Toon, Attack Attack !!

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM

If we don’t buy a good quality CB in January, getting rid of Willo is pure fold will show that the board are clueless on footballing matters and that finance comes way above footballing success

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Belfast
    :mrgreen:

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Who is Dennis ❓

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM

fold= folly

• 29 OneAlanShearer // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM

A German centre back (robin knoche) and dm please plus shelvey and Redmond.

• 30 bladeuser // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM

CISSE is the worst striker in the epl no pace elephants touch and his passing is beyond bad
    ASH OUT
    SMAC OUT
    COLO OUT
    SHEEP ? Out

• 31 OneAlanShearer // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Until Ashley sells I doubt we will ever be ambitious

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM

BLADEUSER
    😛

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:07 AM

OneAlanShearer,
    Too many people don’t care !

• 34 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:11 AM

jib and welsh care

for each other ha ha ha

• 35 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM

@Jail for Ashley

I liked Simpson , Perch and Guthrie all of them always gave 100% and would have been happy with bit part roles at Newcastle on not that great a wage

In fact if we had have kept those 3 with also keeping Jonas we would have experienced back ups who put the work in which would then have allowed our very talented group of young foreigners to adapt to the league quicker!

As always with our club penny pinching takes priority but the extra places would have been covered with prize money for finishing higher up the table !

Ashley and Charnley logic !!Makes complete sense to them!!

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Can you imagine if we had ambition, all the people who have stopped going and all the people who have replaced them turning up to watch a team with intent and purpose, we’d have 70K+ week in week out !

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:15 AM

with an expanded stadium of course

• 38 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM

extension at the gallowgate lost forever now fgb

• 39 Nufc-83 // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Cisse only attribute is positioning in the 6 yard box for scrambles he offers nothing else and I don’t feel we can afford the luxury of carrying a player like this (if only he had not been pardewed and could instinctly strike the ball from anywhere like he used to). Perez and mitro both offer more to our game and should start ahead of him.

On Townsend he offers something we have not got (apart from Aaron’s who is untested and possibly prone to injury) which is a winger!! He is also the only one that can offer a threat from outside the box (apart from de Jong possibly) which is why we have become so predictable and reliant on scramble type goals since cabaye left,

• 40 SPRINGY // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM

morning all
    not convinced with townsend tbh,he seems to be prone to injury himself we need players who can be available to play every week,not sure he can do that…hes like aarons in that sense….seems to have talent but cant stay away from the physio room unfortumately

• 41 beermonkey // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM

nufc 83

I don’t think townsend offers anything for a winger cant cross, al he does is cuts inside and has a shot
    if we want a winger who cant cross we have obertan

LCBP

all the players u have mentioned i don’t think i would have kept any of them we just never replaced them which is a problem although for us all would have been decent back up

• 42 OneAlanShearer // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Jfa – sadly that is the biggest crime of Ashleys era.

• 43 banjax // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Hope springs eternal for a win today and I hope it happens. But the euphoria of the Liverpool win has lasted all week for a lot of people doesn’t apply to me. If ever there was a bullet to dodge – then Spurs are that bullet because their home form especially is fantastic. If ever there was going to be a heavy defeat for Newcastle then today is it. I really hope it doesn’t happen because I can dream of a fluke 1-0 win just like the rest of us, but the history of recent performances from Newcastle doesn’t bode well for a good performance today. Hope springs eternal !

• 44 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM

fgb=fat geordie bast@d ?

• 45 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:35 AM

stfu makem

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:35 AM

jibberish,
    The door is that way

• 47 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM

go email welsh

• 48 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Townsend has all the attributes to be a great winger but he is so greedy its unbelievable ! Spurs had Soldado one of the most deadly finishers when he was at Valencia and the service to him was so terrible he is no longer the same player ! With Townsend , Lennon and Lamella all cutting inside and shooting no wonder he lost his confidence !!

We need wingers and a left back who just look to get to the byline and pump crosses into the box like the Keegan days

Funnily enough I reckon Sammy Ameobi would have more assists for us than Townsend would get at least he can cross the ball in !!

• 49 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM

nonentity

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:38 AM

I’m just hoping for a spirited display no matter the result, would you take a real shyte game and a 0-0 or a real determined gutsy performance with loads of chances created with good football and a 1-0 loss ?

• 51 beermonkey // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:40 AM

LCBP

how is Sammy getting on do u know

• 52 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:40 AM

{[;(3

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:41 AM

😎

• 54 Slank // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Against Spurs a win for us is not out of the question if you believe in ‘horses for courses’.

In recent years we have done well even if the recent win at Bournemouth was a rerun of our game at Spurs where luck (their bad luck) played a big part.

Also, I believe Spurs haven’t lost this season and the law of averages, if not wishful thinking, says they have to lose sometime.

If the lads can maintain the same momentum, intensity and fitness levels as they had against Liverpool a shock result (to all those outside and many inside Tyneside) will be on the cards. Of course they could fail to turn up and that wouldn’t be a surprise to anybody !

• 55 sing in the corner // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Jail
    Yeah I’d take that,no problem,cos its a longer term view.
    Flights cancelled is a good result! Now HWTL let’s make it a double this aft! Big test for Cisse,hope his attitude is the same as last week. He’ll enjoy De Jong playing….

• 56 SPRINGY // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:44 AM

jail
    i think if we were not in as much crap as we are in now id take a gutsy performance but i believe the need for points is getting so desperate now….gotta take the shitey 0-0….and the team would take confidence from a 0-0 tbh as well…..points are a must

• 57 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Spurs are currently a much better side than Liverpool so an away point would be tremendous.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM

SPRINGY,
    Not sure if they would, the Bournemouth game had a reverse effect if anything,I’m with sitc on that one

• 59 SPRINGY // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:58 AM

if all we have to look at,at the end of today is a gutsy performance i’d be happy with that…i said on here last night we need a performance no matter what the result was today…but cant get away from the fact we need the points….maybe we’ll get both?…performance and the points!lol

• 60 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM

arma on now worth a watch

• 61 JamesToon // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM

I think today’s game plan should more or less be the same last week, as mcclaren put it, we need to outrun them. However spurs will press us a lot more than liverpool did, and we need to stay with their fitness levels the whole 90 minutes. I feel like i’ve got a good feeling

• 62 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM

In his presser SM denied any Toon interest in Italian goalie Sirigu .
    A clue to where he may be going was offered up on Wednesday when Laurent Blanc selected him for PSG’s meaningless game against Shakhtar Donetsk which he refused .
    Which implies he may be going to a club still in Europe , which is clearly not us or Villa.

• 63 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:14 PM

and with jibs riveting news its adios from me

• 64 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Arma unlucky there

• 65 AncientC // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM

I noticed that Anita only has a year left on his contract at the end of this season. If they are not going to give him a new contract, the next transfer window is when the time to get the most money for him.

Riviere, Gouffran, Tiote, Cisse, and Krul are all in the same boat; although Riviere and Krul we cannot do much about, as they are injured.

It would be prudent planning to get some contracts sorted pronto, or get busy in the next transfer window, or even better, both.

• 66 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I’m not sure if Coventry are good or the Blades are shyte !

• 67 Hail Wor Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM

He’s looked much better and more motivated than I’ve seen for a long time, since his reinstatement as the main man, maybe it’s just what he needed all along. Expect the same line-up as last time out and hopefully the same intensity and commitment is shown from all.

Cov v Sheff – how the hell is Mceveley still on, refs just randomise their decisions I think.

• 68 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:34 PM

typical shyte that comment jib
    good tough game no quarter given

• 69 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM

I thought it was adios my little shadow

• 70 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:45 PM

just waiting for your next snide comment or crappy gutter press dross

• 71 welshgeordie9 // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Grow up John there’s a good a little boy.

• 72 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:46 PM

go visit yer father

• 73 welshgeordie9 // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Why he’s sleeping right now.

• 74 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:48 PM

been there done that butt out welsh prom tart

• 75 welshgeordie9 // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Lose today pressure back on I’m afraid.

• 76 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Journos on BBC saying what some of us have been saying on here for ages now, when you buy players with the mindset of just purely to sell on, it doesn’t inspire any loyalty to the club.
    And why does that bell end Lawro call LVG Van aal, who advised him on that ?

• 77 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:50 PM

“John Tudor – go visit yer father”
    Right there we see what a horrile little piece of excrement you are !

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:51 PM

How on earth is Lawrenson a TV pundit ?

• 79 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM

shut up my father died of pancreatic cancer and my grand father from lung cancer i wish i had spent more time with them sleeping or not, welsh would rather assist you in your quest for blog master extraordinaire you orrible little oik

• 80 Jib // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Jail for Ashley Lawro has forgotten more about footy than you’ll ever know !

• 81 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:56 PM

pipe and smoke that come to mind
    its a blog ffs not a place for airing ones problems

• 82 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM

we can all see what a horrible little piece of excrement you are !in your posts of google and your efforts in belittling fellow bloggers be gone asswipe

• 83 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:00 PM

and what the fcvk is horrile

• 84 Hail Wor Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:01 PM

John Tudor writing more than 2 sentences, must have really put strain on that braincell of his. 😮

• 85 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:02 PM

google wont tell me

• 86 welshgeordie9 // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM

John

I see my dad all the time, I’m with him right now, yes this is a blog, but it’s nice to talk to people who have been in the same situation as me, I’ve never been through this before so i don’t know what to expect, and another thing just because I get on with jib dosent mean i would rather cause trouble than sorting my dad out, I can’t control what Jib say or think on here.

• 87 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM

another alter ego

• 88 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:04 PM

if it stays expect the pain

• 89 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:09 PM

even worse my daughter was diagnosed with stage 3a cervical cancer did i come on looking for support on here no i didn’t and one brain cell is better than none hail wor asshole now kindly fakk orf

• 90 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:09 PM

deal with it like a man

• 91 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM

it is a harder pain when it is your kids who get it

• 92 mindshaft // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Agree that Gosling has looked good this season – trouble is that he was always injured for us

• 93 ganiyu // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Newcastle united urgently need a proper left back and a defensive midfielder if consistency is to achieved. Tiote and Anita are unreliable choices .I also think wijnaldum should be give a free role. He is worth every penny spent in all honesty.

• 94 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM

but quick to support him eh welsh

• 95 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:19 PM

posters of old creeping out of the shadows now

• 96 JamesToon // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:21 PM

John Tudor

I think your being quite unfair. As welshie said it is nice when you are able to share problems on the blog, so there is no need to be hostile

• 97 Hail Wor Ashley // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Tudor, bitterness and resentment seeps out of your every post and always has. Seek therapy.

• 98 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:26 PM

well i certainly wouldn’t dare share personal things with complete stranger on the web so no i’m not being unfair,
    if welsh likes to align himself to jib that’s his choice and the consequence’s that go with it

• 99 welshgeordie9 // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:27 PM

John

Can understand its more painful when someone’s child has it, but don’t ever tell me to fakk orf there’s a good boy, was actually trying to be civil with you.

• 100 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:27 PM

hail as your name implies its you who needs to seek it now fcuk right orf

• 101 Rotonda heights // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM

To think we could have got Dele Alli for 6M and are now offering 8M for a total headless chicken like Townsend. Sad times.

We discard and ostracise most of our young players who do show promise like Abeid, Kemen, Aarons etc. Well if Townsend is the answer what the hell was the question. Oh for a Pochetinno . Klopp / Martinez etc.

We’re always linked with c–p Brit managers and now an awful English player . If this club really had vision we’d move heaven and earth to get the Chile coach who just resigned.

• 102 John Tudor // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM

read that again sonny it was directed to glib

• 103 welshgeordie9 // Dec 13, 2015 at 1:29 PM