The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Let’s Hear It For Our Brilliant Man Of The Match

3:32 pm, Monday, December 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

We see veteran Chronicle reporter John Gibson today has asked our goalkeeper Rob Elliot to take a bow for his performances so far this season as he has deputized so well for the injured Tim Krul and Gibson has said he’s been a revelation.

We certainly agree with that and this is certainly not the first time he’s been our Man of the Match for Newcastle United.

rob elliot save from lamelat

Rob Elliot makes brilliant save from Lamela in the first half

Ron got 48% of the vote and he’s followed by Mitrovic, Anita, Sissoko and Perez.

In the first half Rob saved us with two brilliant saves from Eric Lamela within a couple of minuets of each other.

It;s good that our two young guns are in there because they each got a goal and the quiet man of the side Vurnon Anita again worked his socks off for the team.

Vurnon is an unsung hero at Newcastle United.

And Moussa Sissoko created many chances for the team yesterday and again showed how good he can be in a Newcastle shirt – when he’s in the mood.

Moussa needs to be in the mood more than he has been so far this season – but hey – he played very well for us yesterday.

Here are the full results of the poll.

Who Was Newcastle´s Best Player At Tottenham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Premier League · Rob Elliot

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 nufconceandfuturekings // Dec 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM

They say it’s the hope that kills, don’t they?
    But, here I am, hoping. God, I’ll never learn. Haway the lads.

As for Rob, well cometh the man, cometh the hour. Totally made up for him. First choice goalie for the Republic too, so fingers crossed Rob’s star is on the rise.

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 14, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Elliot – like a lot
    I like commands the six yard box better than Krul (never been the same since damaging his shoulder against the mackems) comes for the ball collects or punches, shouts at the defence, better with his throw outs -needs to to do a lot more – and on the whipped in free kicks between defnce and keeper – he either stays on his line or comes out to collect.

If you watch Krul he’ll come out to the edge of his six yard box then retreats to the goal line leaving the space for the attacker and is with going backwards on the back foot.

Krul much better shop stopper though one – on – ones

• 3 hibbitt // Dec 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM

on the day elliot kept us in the game not much more you can ask from your keeper 9/10

• 4 Toonfan8 // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM

For me, our defense is better organised by Elliot, he is better in six yard box. Even if Krul is available, Elliot has to start games. My only concern with him is, that he looks like 70% ready. But what I like about our team last two matches is that it hurts opponent to play against us, they are all fighting on the pitch 100% ready to bite..

• 5 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Elliot
    Been worth at least 7 points
    1 against Stoke – point blank save from walters
    3 against Bournemouth string of oustanding saves
    3 yesterday 2 excellent saves near end first half could of went in 3-0 down and no way back

• 6 TikiTakaAcca // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM

I’ve always rated Elliott, he’s a great back up keeper.

BUT, I think he will now be our first choice ahead of Krul.
    The reasoning is because Elliott is injured at the moment, but he’s still playing games.

It was bugging me that he kept using his right foot to clear the ball, and also throwing it.

It suggests that they trust him, and want to cement his place in the team if they’re willing to risk him injured.

If not, Darlow would be in the sticks.

• 7 dok - the horrid colonial // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:18 PM

am I the only one who thought sissoko was half assed yesterday?

• 8 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:20 PM

I’m confused by Elliot , I have watched him play at times and I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the first team , then on the other hand I have seen a few games where he is outstanding making me question why Krul is the no 1 keeper , and to be honest in the first half he looked like a frightened scaredy cat, then pulled of great saves.

He is just one of many players that need the old Bobby Robson arm around them and a good pep talk to tell them they are good, I think it is clear for all to see he had a problem kicking yesterday, but was brave to start throwing it out.

I also have to give Shteve a huge pat on the back for how he is handling the players, he took players out of the team and rested them ( Mitro ) was on a fitness kick. P45 would have just kept playing them until they were burnt out, I’m not a big fan of goofy , but Shteve is showing that he will give players a chance, he is coming on in big wins and building up his confidence to,

Said it before, I think we are heading in the right direction. But we need to concentrate more on the bottom half teams ,

Top 8

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Nearly half the season has gone…
    who has been player of the season so far???

My top three… Mbemba, Wiljanum and Anita in that order followed by Elliot

• 10 TikiTakaAcca // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Catchy.

He’s injured.

• 11 Reyantoon // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Ah Catchy,when will u ever stop mentioning AP in a negative way.Dear god.Where is toonking
    to tell him exactly how he needs to be told 🙂

• 12 toonking // Dec 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM

catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2015 at 10:42 AM

The biggest thing Shteve has over P45 is the fact he tries to win games in the 90+ mins , P45 likes to score early then just try and close up shop, and I have seen him do that from 20 mins in the game.

Shteve is putting belief back into the players with both trust and a plan

Shteve is putting belief back into the players with both trust and a plan

A full football match lasts a 90 minutes not 180 minutes

newcastle 1-2 watford: watford plays an aggressive attacking game whilst we decide to sit back, that 1 goal we did score was in the second half already 2-0 down

Newcastle 0-1 sheff wed: get knocked out of a league cup even earlier than pardew’s league cup runs and out played by a second string sheff wed.

Newcastle 2-2 chelsea when pardew went ahead of chelsea he managed to remain ahead not end up lucky chelsea hadn’t scored the third easy chance offered during second half.

City 6-1 Newcastle it’s 1-1 at half time next minute it’s 5-1 city, that’s not a better mac that’s a pardew replica

newcastle 6-2 norwich this is a game we certain can say was not expected from pardew but it did go 1-1 and 2-2.

scums 3-0 newcastle certainly6 should have won it you can say that but didn’t and like pardew he too can’t ensure players don’t get sent off.

Newcastle 0-0 stoke a game in which stokes keeper prevented victory but it’s turn over the next week when we were saved from defeat ourselves thanks to great keeper saves against bournmouth.

Newcastle 0-3 leiceister as a team on great form this leiceister team was still at risk of defeat, the majority of it’s wins began as a goal down something too hard for ourselves.

PALACE 5-1 NEWCASTLE as a team who’s manager was our former manager last season we decide to all them to take the pee out of us and win 5-1 probably his only big gap win.

I can’t complain at all about liverpool game but this spurs game certainly required lots of lucky saves from elliot in the first half a mimic of pardew and that 0-0 he had against spur really because in the second half spurs themselves made it easy themselves.

everything about it is generally a pardew thing

1. big teams we win small teams we lose or play crap.

2. when a threat is not so big an issue we play crap but when we are at risk of danger he starts playing.

• 13 Reyantoon // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM

toonking – Just about time.Glad u came 🙂
    Don’t bother much though as I now realized that he’s one of those fickle fans!

• 14 ToonAndy // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Leicester vs Chelsea score predictions lads? It’s a very interesting game that could go many ways… I’m going for a 2-1 Leicester win.

• 15 dok - the horrid colonial // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:07 PM

ToonAndy,

we cant catch Leicester, but we can stay above Chelsea, so ill be pulling for LC

• 16 Sazzer // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Willems is no longer listed as injured at transfermarkt. So should be able to pass medical in January.

• 17 toonking // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM

reyantoon

It’s something that goes back to the day ourtoon tells me to start supporting palace having mentioned some of his better period at newcastle.

How long before ourtoon tells catchy to start supporting palace or atleast be a palace blogger?

• 18 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Tikka.

I know he is.

Toonking

Hahaha man say what you like , but this season I have seen my team play more football this season than it has in the previous 4 seasons, sure there have been some poor results, but I have taken huge positives from the fact we play for 90+ mins.

Regardless of where palace are right now, other than the game against us they find it hard to score from open play, something we also struggled with under him, so it’s only a matter of time before they go on a long run without winning a game.

A lot of our problems this season stem from pardews time at our club, he ran the players into the ground and took away any confidence that they had.

There may have been a few Lows this season so far, but I am very proud to be a toon fan again, something I have not said for a long time, Ashley takes some of the blame for this, but I hang most of my blame on P45, his football is shocking

• 19 toonking // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM

If the positive times can’t be mentioned why should the negative times be mentioned when at this moment in time he’s doing better and we’re in relegation battles

• 20 Toon Tang // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Was too pissed to come on yesterday, would have made more of a tit of myself than I usually do.

Absolute massive result for the lads though eh. The whole team pulled it out of satchel with the main share of praise going to Elliot, McClaren and the subs. I thought we’d missed the last big chance to win it when Mitro missed that cross at the end.

They say lloris should have done better with that perez shot as well but speed at which he took it on the chest and smashed it in one move was sheer quality. The keeper was never set to save it, it went past him that quick.

Anyways, I see the winbar theory is still working a charm but I can see it working against us for the next match. The winbar will be at full for the Villa game with the majority of fans predicting an easy win and we know what usually happens when that happens.

Food for thought when making our predictions eh 🙂

• 21 Mag52 // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Catchy.

You lost any credibility you might once have had on this site when, prior to us playing at Selhurst Park, you forecast that if we went a goal up on Palace, they would fold.
    We went a goal up, and they proceeded to blow us apart.
    Pardew has his faults as a manager, as I suppose all managers do, but his team are sitting pretty, sixth in the premiership at the moment, well worth their position, playing fast, attacking football on the counter attack, which is his preferred style, and your never ending snide comments about him are really no longer necessary.

• 22 toonking // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

catchy in norway // Sep 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM

shhhhh

stop talking about our secret set piece, it might get out to the other teams, and they might be able to do something about it,

ohhh shoot, it already did , 3 years ago

scoring set pieces at his current club should be praised not viewed negatively. We never had set pieces leading to goal so just image how much higher we would of been had pardew been able to have players scoring set pieces, think about it WE’D BE TOP6

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Catchy,
    I thought your Pardew obsession might have abated a little bit, I bet you are posting now and then on the Palace blog. He did have his stubborn favourites but when did he have a choice of strikers since Demba Ba left ?

• 24 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Mag52

Don’t read them, and to be honest I don’t give two hoots what you think I have credibility or not, as I seem to remember not having any but pretty much everyone in the end having the same opinion as me as to what type of football we played and what utter garbage the man spoke.

Toonking

Ask yourself why we never had set pieces ? Oh shoot I have to tell you, because the man is hopeless , In fact worse than hopeless , I remember watching one of his games at palace and the comentator had Warnock on with him , the guy said to warnock I see there still using your set play routines, to which Warnock replied he didn’t mind as long as they work. P 45 hasn’t got any ideas of his own, his style is based loosely on Joses way of playing after spending a few weeks with him.

The guy is a fraud, stealing a living pretending to be a manager of a football club, a total chancer that can not remember the lies that comes out of his own mouth.

Good luck to palace, you deserve him,

• 25 MadisonToon // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Elliot was really good yesterday, there’s no denying that. The fact that he got a hand and *almost* redirected their goal off the bar was impressive on its own but the other fantastic saves were excellent. You expect a starting Premier League keeper to make an excellent save or two/game but his performance kept the scoreline close for the end of the game heroics to be possible.

Speaking of those excellent substitutions – what good management from McClaren. Although I would love Perez in the side every day and I don’t think his form has necessarily been poor, Mitro had a game off last time out but yesterday looked like a player out with something to prove after losing his spot to Cisse. As others have said, one of the things fans disliked most about Pardew was his dedication to his starting XI and inability to rotate them. This showed what a little rotation will do for the drive and desire in the players on the pitch who suddenly know that their spots can’t be taken for granted.

I look forward to seeing how Mitro/Perez/De Jong and co push on after this. I hope it’s a demolishing of Villa to recover some of our dismal goal differential, but I’ll just take the three points if we can get them this weekend.

• 26 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Jail

Baa , I don’t visit there pages

It’s not about who we have had available as strikers, it was more about the support to the strikers we did have, he did not adapt to the players we did have, the gap between our MF and FW was just stupid at times, we only passed the ball sideways or backwards.

And it’s only an observation to say how much better we are under Shteve, and getting better

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM

catchy,
    Let it go, he wasn’t right for us, he has Selhurst Park buzzing and in sixth place, he’s come good, surely you can give him a bit of credit !

• 28 Mag52 // Dec 14, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Mike Ashley described in the House of Commons today as a ‘monster’ for the way he treats his workers and conducts his business.
    How much longer, I wonder, will the name of Newcastle United continue to be associated with this embarrassing business operator ?

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM

catchy,
    While we’re sitting in fifteenth after three of the worst displays of football ever seen with a minus 13 GD, it’s a bit early to say that it’s the best it’s been, and what’s the Baa for, I make my own mind up.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Mag52,
    Did you see the way he celebrated yesterday, you’d think he was some type of fan, if he is why the fcuk is he happy to see us as perennial strugglers.

• 31 Toon Tang // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Madison, bang on with all that marra. Who turns up for Villa though is the question on everyone’s lips eh

• 32 Toon Tang // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM

I love a good rant video but when TG is on a happy one its even funnier eh.

For those who didn’t catch it.

• 33 toonking // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM

catchy

it could be because he was crap but it could and probably was because he didn’t have the players required for set piece goals

He didn’t have any striker who can control high balls
    he didn’t have any CB that could control those high balls

He didn’t have the creative wingers

most importantly of all he quite simply didn’t have a striker capable of scoring headers.

He’s got palace sitting 6th this minute in time, it might be a case of first season good season but that can occur with big managers ask moineo.

• 34 optimistic prime // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:14 PM

JFA @ 30

I’ve been wondering what all that was about, for the cameras?

• 35 optimistic prime // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM

On Palace/Pardew

From what I’ve seen of them they look a lot like us when we finished 5th.
    A lot of none football, defending and scoring on the counter attack.

He did it well for us for one year and couldn’t repeat it, well done to him.

I can’t comment on how good he’ll be at Palace time will tell, he may end up doing well or not at Palace.

I honestly couldn’t care less, glad he left.
    Best for both parties!

• 36 toonking // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:21 PM

JFA

goodness knows why he celebrated like he did, the biggest assumption i did have was he’s just more hopeful of not spending cash for panic buys or a new manager knowing now an assistant will not work.

how long before he goes back into main crown with his pints

• 37 Transfer Sage // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Palace play exciting football, pardew is showing what he can do if hr is given his type of player.

It’s like giving Guardiola a work horse of a team, he’d strugglre.

Managers have their own style, some can adapt but not often to the required level, they need their own players. That was Ashley’s fault. Either back the manager with his players or get a manager to suit the players you want to buy.

• 38 Thump // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM

@Jail: I honestly reckon that the bloke we saw in the Leazes wearing a shirt with Smith on the back is still there, but he just doesn’t know how to run a football club.

The alternative is that he’s a football fan, and he witnessed a fantastic come back from a team that, a few weeks ago, couldn’t organise a pissup in a brewery.

And then the cynic in me remembers that it pushed us out of the relegation zone, and therefore his investment is that little bit safer.

• 39 Toon Tang // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM

the palace/pardew fire is still well and truly lit on this board eh. We should just let him bow out gracefully like a dieing swan on the Serengeti plains at sunset etc etc etc 🙂

• 40 LGFUAD21 // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM

I’ve always thought Elliott was a decent keeper but his recent performances he has pulled off some excellent saves.

I don’t get Anita. Some days he’s on it keeping everything ticking over. Others he looks completely lost.

Made up over the result. Hope we can get another at villa. That’d do us the world of good confidence wise. I don’t think we’re there yet but a win against villa could kickstart our season.

We just need to work out how to play fast paced teams that counter.

• 41 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Jail

The baa , was meant to be hmm:/

You can throw those facts at me and I can not argue with any of them, we are 15th, we have -13gd .

While I have been unimpressed with some aspects of our season so far , I’m ecstatic about some of it too, people will rightly point out some of our games like shef wed , Watford and a few others , I will point to games v Man U 0-0 , matched them , city the better team for 45 mins, Chelsea the better team for 70 mins , Liverpool played football for 90 mins against them, nervy start ,Spurs, played well against them for 90 mins(IMO) most of there shots were from distance, they didn’t get in the box that much and if you ask me over 90 mins we had by far the more clear cut chances,
    Against those teams under p45 they were always the better team but we often stole points from them,
    The game vs Norwich , that would never have happened under p45, he would have got in front and shut up shop, and I know people will throw the palace v us result in the mix, but in reality that was a total fluke result.

Under Shteve , we win as a team and lose as a team, we are less greedy in front of goal, no more 30 yard attempts for wonder goals, we try and get bodies in the box and get balls in there , we are looking for runners, players are rested even if we are in the bottom, he is using his squad , these huge pluses for me. Some of our one touch passing is a joy to watch, some of passing goals have been amazing this season , just as good as some of the worldies that happened under p45, only thing is p45 couldn’t practice those types of goals, where as you can see we have practiced passing the ball under Shteve.

I’m impressed he has made the difference in such a short time, and I expect him to start working Florian into the team, and I think he could be a huge player when he gets confidence

• 42 JamesToon // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:58 PM

R.E PARDEW DEBATE

Pardew has and will always be a decent mid table manager, take nothing away from him, but PARDEW + NEWCASTLE didn’t work and it was never going to. His style of football regardless of what players he has doesn’t match the clubs traditions of playing entertaining and attacking football with a no fear attitude, his dishonest and “dedicated to mike ashley” statements don’t run with the clubs traditions, and the transfer policy doesn’t go with him.

I don’t think SM is a better manager than pardew, however i prefer him to pardew, both as a person and as a coach. Mcclaren is a gentleman, an honest man and he sees football matches in a way that the fans pay tickets to be entertained, rather than pardew’s try not to get beat attitude. This season i have enjoyed watching us at times, where in my opinion we’ve played better football than we ever did under pardew. Spells in the saints game, man united game, city game, stoke game, sunderland game where i actually thought that was where we played our best football. I feel like we can go on to be a solid team under mcclaren, that may not challenge for europe, but certainly entertain the fans with some good football and hopefully try and get a bit of consistency going, as long as we buy the right players. I still have absolutely no regrets about wanting pardew out, and wouldn’t take him back tomorrow if i was offered the chance, unlike some, i still haven’t forgotten the agony of watching my team get out coached and out played by sunderland, constantly seeing williamson hoofing it up to perez, and the embarrassment of seeing our own manager headbutt a player, foulmouth another manager, i could go on.

Even now as i watch palace this season, i agree with OP’s point that i do see signs of our 5th place season, riding their luck a lot. They score a lot more from set pieces and less from open day, they’ve picked up points where they’ve probably deserved to lose (didn’t everton hit the bar 3 times against them) but they sit back and they let bolasie and zaha do all the work down the wings and just pump it into the box, which i don’t have a problem with. He’s also got a team full of grafters which matches his style.

I wish pardew all the best at palace and i think he’ll do alright with them, but even if we were in great danger of being relegated, i still wouldn’t have him back.

• 43 Rotonda heights // Dec 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Sage

it’s funny when AP was at reading they were a joy to watch and now at CP he seems to have found the same formula.

It’s funny though that AP could rarely produce exciting football with us, given the flair and technical players we had. It appeared he was always pursuing workhorses who you wouldn’t have thought would produce free flowing attacking football.

• 44 Jib // Dec 14, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Mag52
    Ashley was called a monster by the Beast of Bolsover , Dennis Skinner (MA’s warehouse is in his constituency).
    He has finally had a pop at SD after years of saying nowt , only after pressure applied by Unison one of his sponsors.
    Skinner you may remember in the MP’s expenses scandal had been caught claiming Tesco and Waitrose food bills against his expenses.
    😳