Star Striker Very Happy At Newcastle – They Give Me Everything

We’ve just watched Ayoze Perez interview on nufcTV that was filmed immediately after yesterday’s win at Tottenham and it’s worth a look if you have a subscription.

Perez answers various questions and he is smiling almost all the way through the interview and he reveals he is learning every day at Newcastle both from the other players and from the coaches and he must keep improving.

What a great player this boy is – and born to play for Newcastle.

ayoze perez after socring in stoppage time spurs 2-1

Ayoze Perez after scoring the winner yesterday

If Tottenham were interested in Ayoze before yesterday’s game then they will be even more interested in him now, after he scored the winner in terrific style over two minutes into stoppage time to break Spurs’ great 14 game unbeaten run in the league.

And even former Arsenal great Thierry Henry said yesterday on Sky Sports that it was very difficult what Perez did to score that winning goal as he held off center-back Vertonghen and then shot very early to surprise goalkeeper  Hugo Lloris.

There is a lot of speculation about Perez in the transfer market, but we don’t think Mike Ashley will sell the youngster – who still can get a lot better and let’s face it he’s made some fantastic progress since he joined us 18 months ago.

The Spanish striker was asked about all the transfer speculation today in IBTimes UK:

“I just know the same as you. What I hear, what I read.”

“It is a great pleasure for me to be linked with Tottenham and Manchester United. It is incredible, something very big, and that’s because I’m doing well, but I must go on. It’s my job.”

“You never know. Football takes many turns. Today, I am a substitute. I am working hard to be in the manager’s starting plans. That’s all I think – to work. Then the fruits arrive. I am very happy at Newcastle.”

“They give me everything – they made me professional. I want to continue working with them, trying to climb on the table and then whatever has to happen will happen.”

Certainly Perez is one of the most popular players at the club and he has that very good habit of scoring some very important goals for Newcastle and his goal in stoppage time yesterday was simply stunning.

That was his 4th goal of the season in 13 appearances and he scored his first goal for Newcastle about 13 months ago – also at Tottenham in the 2-1 win – and he now has 11 goals for the club – and that’s in 52 appearances.

And to think he was brought in for the Development squad.

Amazing.

• catchy in norway

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Jail

The baa , was meant to be hmm:/

You can throw those facts at me and I can not argue with any of them, we are 15th, we have -13gd .

While I have been unimpressed with some aspects of our season so far , I’m ecstatic about some of it too, people will rightly point out some of our games like shef wed , Watford and a few others , I will point to games v Man U 0-0 , matched them , city the better team for 45 mins, Chelsea the better team for 70 mins , Liverpool played football for 90 mins against them, nervy start ,Spurs, played well against them for 90 mins(IMO) most of there shots were from distance, they didn’t get in the box that much and if you ask me over 90 mins we had by far the more clear cut chances,
    Against those teams under p45 they were always the better team but we often stole points from them,
    The game vs Norwich , that would never have happened under p45, he would have got in front and shut up shop, and I know people will throw the palace v us result in the mix, but in reality that was a total fluke result.

Under Shteve , we win as a team and lose as a team, we are less greedy in front of goal, no more 30 yard attempts for wonder goals, we try and get bodies in the box and get balls in there , we are looking for runners, players are rested even if we are in the bottom, he is using his squad , these huge pluses for me. Some of our one touch passing is a joy to watch, some of passing goals have been amazing this season , just as good as some of the worldies that happened under p45, only thing is p45 couldn’t practice those types of goals, where as you can see we have practiced passing the ball under Shteve.

I’m impressed he has made the difference in such a short time, and I expect him to start working Florian into the team, and I think he could be a huge player when he gets confidence

• JamesToon

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:58 PM

R.E PARDEW DEBATE

Pardew has and will always be a decent mid table manager, take nothing away from him, but PARDEW + NEWCASTLE didn’t work and it was never going to. His style of football regardless of what players he has doesn’t match the clubs traditions of playing entertaining and attacking football with a no fear attitude, his dishonest and “dedicated to mike ashley” statements don’t run with the clubs traditions, and the transfer policy doesn’t go with him.

I don’t think SM is a better manager than pardew, however i prefer him to pardew, both as a person and as a coach. Mcclaren is a gentleman, an honest man and he sees football matches in a way that the fans pay tickets to be entertained, rather than pardew’s try not to get beat attitude. This season i have enjoyed watching us at times, where in my opinion we’ve played better football than we ever did under pardew. Spells in the saints game, man united game, city game, stoke game, sunderland game where i actually thought that was where we played our best football. I feel like we can go on to be a solid team under mcclaren, that may not challenge for europe, but certainly entertain the fans with some good football and hopefully try and get a bit of consistency going, as long as we buy the right players. I still have absolutely no regrets about wanting pardew out, and wouldn’t take him back tomorrow if i was offered the chance, unlike some, i still haven’t forgotten the agony of watching my team get out coached and out played by sunderland, constantly seeing williamson hoofing it up to perez, and the embarrassment of seeing our own manager headbutt a player, foulmouth another manager, i could go on.

Even now as i watch palace this season, i agree with OP’s point that i do see signs of our 5th place season, riding their luck a lot. They score a lot more from set pieces and less from open day, they’ve picked up points where they’ve probably deserved to lose (didn’t everton hit the bar 3 times against them) but they sit back and they let bolasie and zaha do all the work down the wings and just pump it into the box, which i don’t have a problem with. He’s also got a team full of grafters which matches his style.

I wish pardew all the best at palace and i think he’ll do alright with them, but even if we were in great danger of being relegated, i still wouldn’t have him back.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Sage

it’s funny when AP was at reading they were a joy to watch and now at CP he seems to have found the same formula.

It’s strange though that AP could rarely produce exciting football with us, given the flair and technical players we had. It appeared he was always pursuing workhorses who you wouldn’t have thought would produce free flowing attacking football.

• JamesToon

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Catchy 1

i agree, with your point about winning/losing as a team. Even though we were dominated by bournemouth, the goal we scored had lovely build up play!

• Transfer Sage

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Catchy

Pardew’s team came back from 4-0 down to draw 4-4….the greatest comeback in the history of the prem league, or one of them.

We would regularly beat the big teams too.

Ultimately he wasn’t a good fit for the players we had and when he lost regular goal scorers in Ba and Remy we really struggled. Especially without the odd bit of brilliance from cabaye or ben arfa,

• Rotonda heights

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:02 PM

James

Think you absolutely nailed it there on all counts

• Transfer Sage

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Rotonda

In my opinion from what I’ve seen pardew likes a basic game. Ideally a big goal scorer up front with plenty of pace around him for flick ons.

Pace is something we have lacked at the club for a long time. It’s probably why we looked a good threat when aarons and sissoko were both flying around.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM

sage

People kind of forget the fact that arsenal had a man sent off for a large part of that match.

• JamesToon

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Rotonda

cheers, it just annoys me though that this debate still goes on!

• Jib

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:08 PM

I always thought the Arsenal comeback had more to do with the little stroppy git Joey Barton and his pal Kevin Nolan.
    Phil Dowd played his part as well

• Transfer Sage

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Rotonda

They did, still a fantastic comeback though.

• Tsunki

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Ray is actually right. I don’t think it was Alans half time talk, probably more the chicken dancer and the jailbirds.

Re The Alan Pardew Debate – Meh.

• Jib

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:13 PM

I think the Foxes will draw with Chelski

• cyprus

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM

On Pardew,
    Again? This is nuts. I mean he was no KK, his record runs were ridiculous, NUFC was so boring.
    He was just as shocked as the rest of us at that 4-4, he had nothing to do with it I think. It’s not like we were into comebacks in his time and the football was generally atrocious. I liked his passion, but he was no tactician, or at least it didn’t show on the pitch. You guys have to let it go.

Now my team. I’m still not convinced by this Steve dude yet. Much like his predecessor, you have no idea which team will turn up, and that can’t be good.

I did like his response re ‘pat on the back to the coach for the substitutions? Answer, ‘no, pat on the back to the players that came on’.

Good leadership. Take the blame, give the credit.

• Tsunki

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Ten man Arsenal would still be a huge favourite to hang on to a win with a four goal leeway though.

• optimistic prime

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Where’s Aaron’s?

• Tsunki

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Let it go, let it go
    Turn away and slam the door
    I don’t care
    what they’re going to say
    Let the storm rage on.
    The derby never bothered me anyway

Come on, on, know you want to sing along…

• Tsunki

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Op where’s Aaron’s what? 🙂

• Tsunki

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Aarons’?

• optimistic prime

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Tsunki

Where is he?

On the 4-4
    It was Hughtons team spirit rather than Pardews genius

• Tsunki

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:24 PM

I need vardy to bag a hatter but I also have a couple of Chelsea players in my FPL team. Losers.

• catchy in norway

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Transfer , great , you pick out one great comeback out of 4 years of football, and yes we did regularly beat big teams, but mostly against the run of play, I pretty much always thought how did we do that, and expressed that at the time, now it’s great to hear pundits say we matched them and deserved the wins we have gotten or the points we pick up,(- the Bournmouth game) we robbed them, but our goal was pure quality , the best price of play by both team in the whole match.

James

Sorry but whilst I agree with most of your comment to say there is little difference in the 2 then say I enjoy us better now and say he is an honest man is very confusing to me, that like saying he is the better manager without saying it out loud, a manager is judged on the football , the results and what he says, on all 3 counts Shteve wins by a mile , and that’s not me saying Shteve is the best in the prem, but he is miles better than sham p45 pulis type managers

• Tsunki

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Op we need someone to look it up. I dunno, he has legs like toothpicks I think.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM

The Guardian:
    4) Mitrovic provides Newcastle with a cutting edge

Newcastle United were growing into the game in the second half at Tottenham Hotspur, albeit trailing 1-0, but Papiss Cissé was having one of those days. The striker’s sights were awry and three times he had efforts that were off target or weak. Steve McClaren needed a spark and, two minutes after coming on for Cissé, Aleksandar Mitrovic provided it when he scrambled home the equaliser from close range. He ran off to celebrate with Alessandro Schoenmaker, the fitness coach, which suggested that he might have been doing some extra work with him. One of the criticisms levelled at Mitrovic has related to his conditioning. There was more to come. At the very end Mitrovic flicked on with his head and his fellow substitute Ayoze Pérez ran through to score the winner. Mitrovic is one of those characters that can infuriate his manager and even on Sunday McClaren admitted he had not been ready when he was called to come on. But after three games on the bench, the striker appears ready for another run in the starting team. Indeed, given Siem de Jong’s travails against Tottenham, there is a case for McClaren to restore both Mitrovic and Pérez to the side for the game against Aston Villa on Saturday.
    David Hytner

• AncientC

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:29 PM

“I don’t think SM is a better manager than pardew”

McClaren has actually (maybe not the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy) won things in his career, can you imagine Pardew ever being good enough to be in the management/coaching set up of one of the world’s best sides.

I have no doubts McClaren is of a much higher pedigree than Pardew.

• catchy in norway

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Cyprus

P45 would have said , yes thanks I new he had it in him to do that. Taking full credit.

This is why the players believe In Shteve

• Lindisfarne

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:30 PM

I thought Mitro ran into the arms of Ian Cathro, am I mistaken?

Plus, whats up with Sting de Jong?
    Is he another PL flake like his brother, or has he been Pardewed and his already low immunity is taking time to recover?

• JamesToon

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Catchy

Not saying he’s a better manager as that remains to be seen as palace are doing better than us. However I prefer his style and attitude to pardew

• JamesToon

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Anyway not getting into arguments as its a pointless debate

• dok - the horrid colonial

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:41 PM

plus, haven’t seen mcclaren headbutt anyone yet…. ill take macca, over pards, every day…

when we win now, macca says its a team effort… when pards got a win, it was all about his brilliant setup and ideas…

plus, were playing better TEAM football….

• Jib

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:44 PM

• Lindisfarne

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Tiote – Groin/Pelvis Injury – 19th Dec 15 – slight doubt
    Aarons – Ankle/Foot Injury – 19th Dec 15 – doubtful
    M Williamson – Hamstring Injury – 26th Dec 15
    Lascelles – Hamstring Injury – 26th Dec 15
    Taylor – Hamstring Injury – 2nd Jan 16
    Haidara – Knee Injury – Mar 16
    Obertan – Hamstring Injury – Mar 16
    Krul – ACL Knee Injury – Jul 16

Tiote and Aarons returning shortly but for how long? Injury or transfer?
    Three central defenders returning in the transfer window, which may mean no new player in that position.

• catchy in norway

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:46 PM

James

Very confusing.

Regardless Shteve has had a more successful career. He has us playing a more entertaining brand of football, that has falling down at times , but when we have played , it has been as a team , win or lose, and he calls it like it is, isn’t deluded.

He is 5 times the man and manager

• MadisonToon

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Lindisfarne

I think Siem showed better this match than he has so far this season. He’s not looking to be a world-beater but does appear intelligent with his passes/link-up play and could prove useful after all. If only he was fit enough to be a CM, I think that could be a great spot for him. I find it hard for him to get many 90 minute matches or even many starts, as he will have to prove that he should be in ahead of Mitro/Perez. It also looks like Cisse is above him in the pecking order so he is unlikely to end up leading the line and unless we change our tactics, he isn’t likely to get much time in the hole either.

I’d love us to pull one of our defensive mids into a more advanced role and give it to SDJ so we can have Perez and Mitro up top with SDJ just behind. I don’t think it’s doable unless we shore up our defense, but it’s worth a shot sometime in a game that we need some extra firepower in, I think.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Catchy

Hope you are right but still not a Mcclaren fan, don’t think he is up to it to be honest.

I don’t think we play particularly good football with him, I’m yet to be convinced.

It was only a couple weeks ago you said you thought he’d lost the players, now you’re saying his is a good manager.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Lindisfarne

I’d love nothing more than see Ashley have his fortune taken away from him through scandle.

Nothing short of what he deserves. A man worth 3 billion and he has guys working for him on less than minimum wage.

By no means the only one who does that sort of thing but it’s a total disgrace.

• Jib

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Dare to Dream Leicester

• Transfer Sage

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Catchy

A tad unfair by my, you have always backed McClaren as a good manager.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Jib

I hope they win the league (now that we can’t haha)…..always love a team coming out of nowhere to upset the big boys.

Would be fantastic if they got top 4 even.

I think I read they have the 4th richest owner in the league (I may be wrong) but if they are doing well in January he may well buy 2/3 quality players and really try to push the advantage home, making sure they have cover if they suffer injuries to key men.

1 2 3 5