The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

8-3 And 8-13 Shows Real Newcastle Progress

1:33 pm, Tuesday, December 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Newcastle have given two of their best displays of the season and who would have thought we could have come out with 6 points from games at home to Liverpool and away to Tottenham – and when we played those sides they were both on a hot streak.

Tottenham’s defeat on Sunday was their first loss in the league since they lost to Manchester United on the opening day of the season.

But we made another terrible start to the season which was even worse than last year when we had only four draws in the first seven games.

steve mcclaren smiling

Steve McClaren – turning things around

And this year we had only thee draws in our first eight games – which to be fair was a very tough initial schedule – but still not the start we expected.

But since we played Norwich City and had our first win of the season we have collected four wins in a draw in the last eight games.

That’s 13 points from the last eight games and in there was the unlucky Sunderland defeat – when we were again playing with 10 men for more than half of the game – the third time that has happened this season.

So there is definite improvement not just with the points tally but with the way the lads are playing and certainly the last two games we have played 100% all out and the lads have been well rewarded for that spirit, effort and passion.

Now we have what we think could be a very tricky game on Saturday against bottom of the table Aston Villa who have only 6 points from 16 games.

At home to the bottom of the league table should be 3 points – but it’s not a sure bet at Newcastle.

If Steve McClaren and the coaches can prepare the players to play at their very best against Villa and not think it’s an easy game – then come Saturday night we could even have 19 points from 17 games.

That would be the first time this season we have more points than games played.

That’s what we are hoping for – and if that happens we can really say the season is starting to turn around for Newcastle – although nothing is ever certain at Newcastle.

But anyway – here’s hoping.

And we’d really like to see four good players come in next month to make our squad stronger and things may really start to look up on Tyneside.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Prediction · Premier League

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM

And being totally peeved at the way the club has been set up to run by mr Ashley is the best of all reasons to withdraw cash supplies to him, :ARROW:

• 2 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM

• 3 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:37 PM

I see we are being treated to smiley macs atm. 🙂

• 4 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:38 PM

OOPS ➡

• 5 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:38 PM

➡ too, Mr TWO

• 6 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Have fun kids i’m outta here.

• 7 Bobbybee // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Truth, i’ve already said you can spend your money how you see fit. What more do you want from me? You do what you want with your money, i’ll do what I want. Not difficult is it?

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Oh no not that again.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:46 PM

In terms of the financial support, I seem to remember you arguing that all those with Sky, who watched the games on foreign channels, or at a pub were also still giving money to Ashley through the TV deals.

Given the TV deals put more money into the club then the match going supporters, surely they are therefore bigger supporters financially then you? Therefore supporters? Or does that only count when you are using that argument to show how great you are for going and others up as they are still giving money to the club and Ashley?

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM

where is anyone telling you how to spend your money ?

• 11 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Lilo. Don’t. Just….don’t.

• 12 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Jack Colback says Newcastle’s shock win over
    Tottenham shows what they can achieve when
    the players work together.
    It shows that when we’re all at it, when we’re
    all focused and concentrating, when we’re all
    together as a unit, we can be very difficult to
    beat,” Colback told
    “We are a good team. We showed that against
    Liverpool and again [at Tottenham].
    We came here with a game plan to be
    compact and it looked to be working until we
    conceded. But we showed our character to
    come back and win.”
    Tottenham were the better side in the first-half
    but Newcastle emerged a different team after
    the interval, pressing harder and passing
    faster to assume control of the game.
    “The first half was difficult. They have a really
    good set-up here where they work so hard to
    win the ball, give you no time or space and
    then when they have it they keep it very well,”
    Colback said.
    “At half-time we said that it’s only 1-0 and
    that we were still very much in the game. Then
    in the second half the game opened up a bit,
    we were able to express ourselves a bit more
    and we got the two goals.
    We got the equaliser from the set-piece and a
    point would have been a great result here, we
    would have been happy with that, but you
    always hope that you will be able to nick it.
    And when the ball fell to Ayo [Perez] he was
    able to win the game for us – that was a
    massive bonus.
    “It’s a fantastic win. To come here, against a
    team who had only lost once all season was
    brilliant. That can really push us on. We’ve
    got back-to-back victories now and have to
    build on this.”

• 13 jlarsen // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM

You mention the unlucky Sunderland result, but have you forotten that we were extremely lucky at Bournemouth? A terrible performance. But there were positives against Chelsea and the first half against Man City. Let’s hope for more consistency now…

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:49 PM

When I lived in Australia I would sign up to be a member and only buy my shirt from the club shop, now we can’t even be certain that money is going to the club, so I don’t bother, and my only shirt now is a retro one I’ve had for about four years

• 15 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:49 PM

ooooh i am a naughty boy
    but not my own work slap my wrist professor.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Apologies, I think it is too late now though!

• 17 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Well lets just reappraise our magnificent win I mean I certainly don’t want to take the gloss off it, tactically I thought it was incredibly astute and we’ll timed. But…..

Our passing in close quarters is woeful, their tight pressing only highlighted it more.
    We don’t play possession. We can’t, see above. This was a smash and grab. We put up the shutters until they tired, then brought on a bully and some pace and bang! I’m not sure it’s a bad thing, but I don’t think we can do it every week, can we?

• 18 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:54 PM

TWO – not at all I think a few smileys brightens up the old place. I see jails got his cut and paste sorted too ha ha

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:55 PM

The style of play wasn’t great but that may well come with the right work ethic, I honestly think that the bonus scheme has been scrapped

• 20 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Exactly you spend your money how you see fit Bobby but don’t start arguments on here what are not there, the wise men on here shall prevail
    You know the old saying
    A fool and his money are soon parted
    enough said. ➡

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM

My cut and paste, are you sure you don’t mean John Tudor

• 22 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:57 PM

I think it’s a bit early for villa to rally round and start getting themselves out of the bottom three. That usually happens in February. I expect a win, but don’t want to predict one, as I predicted losses for the last two games and look what happened!

• 23 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Cut and paste smileys Jail, you’re not making the mistakes commonly seen from manual entry

• 24 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM

…such as that one. Sigh. 🙁

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Looks like you got lucky! Power has just gone, so I’ll be heading off to conserve battery and concentrate on doing actual work…

Will likely be back tomorrow.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    They’re all there Tsunki, not all of them work though

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM

• 28 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Jail, the scrapping of the controversial bonus idea could be a plausible explanation for the lads not twisting like stroppy little girls and getting on with playing footy like men, true. There’s a distinct lack of namby-pambyness and big-girls-blousery to be seen of late.

• 29 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM

the smash and grab style could work till a formula to combat it is found, ala the teams that come up and find a way to play that surprises everyone till it gets found out

• 30 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM

TWO – I think that’s the plan, and with the lack of any other workable one, I’m in. 🙂

• 31 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM

• 32 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:03 PM

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:03 PM

I think if Villa were going to do anything it would have been with the new manager effect, that hasn’t worked so they better start preparing for life in the Championship. Despite what has happened at Villa I would have still liked to have seen him here last season, he certainly couldn’t have done any worse than Carver and they could have sacked him with the money they got from Palace if things hadn’t have worked out.

• 34 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Yep you’re right. Not all work. 😐

• 35 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Me too.
    God love him he has tried all the rest
    343, 253,424, 4411, but not 911 yet.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:05 PM

TWO ??
    You do realise that’s John Tudor don’t you !

• 37 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:05 PM

• 38 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Cheer up Alan Shearer song to be reworked for them when they drop I think….

• 39 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Angry John. Yeah.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM

When were Villa last in the second tier ?

• 41 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM

yes jail ask ed my account was hacked i had permission to alter ego does that make me a naughty boy being told to fa@k off and die c@nt by jib.

• 42 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Not like me who did it the naughty boy way.

• 43 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:09 PM

we know who hacked it now

• 44 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:09 PM

That’s really upset you that, hasn’t it? I can tell you know.

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:10 PM

What do you mean your account was hacked ?

• 46 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:10 PM

• 47 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:11 PM

• 48 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Didn’t have johntudor as your password?

• 49 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM

• 50 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM

my account was hacked by a certain he who cannot be named ed in formed last year i was given permission to have a new non de plume because of it and yes im still angry but it was ashers that has made me bitter and twisted

• 51 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Now that worked a treat. Jeff should use that one!

• 52 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:14 PM

however i did post a few times as tudor as the account was re-opened a few weeks ago ,not by me i add

• 53 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:15 PM

😈 like that, you mean?

• 54 Bobbybee // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Lil, the same applies either way. If you put money into the club, buy merchandise, go to games, you are a supporter. If you have Sky you are a supporter, but you can’t shout about not giving Ashley a penny of your money, because you do, like it or not. This has been my whole point from day one. Either you support Newcastle directly, or you’re just a hypocrite giving Ashley money other ways. Either way, he gets your money so why make a big issue of boycotting games – games most of the pro boycotters never went to in the first place – when he’s getting more each year off Sky? Thanks to the Sky money, our ST’s are relatively cheap as well. I also have Sky by the way. If our ST’s were anything like Arsenal, Spurs, Manure etc, i for one couldn’t go. That’s one thing I am grateful to him for – cheap ST’s. If the pro boycotters really want Ashley to get none of their money, don’t subscibe to Sky or any of it’s subsidiaries. Unless they want to be branded hypocrites. I go because i love the buzz, win lose or draw. If i need to explain that to anyone, i’m flogging a dead horse, but 50k others agree with me, or they wouldn’t be there.

• 55 the truth will out // Dec 15, 2015 at 2:18 PM

the guy who did it has not been on in long time but did appear a few weeks ago and yes i did have the argy bargy with jib and yes he did tell me to fu@’k off and die cu@t
    such a nasty piece of work

previous post: Young Gun Tweets Message Of Appreciation To Fans