The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Newcastle Target Too Expensive Compared To Alternatives

7:50 pm, Tuesday, December 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 52 Comments

Newcastle have been linked with 22 year-old Belgium striker Michy Batshuayi, who plays for Marseilles, for a while now,  but he seems to be way over-priced by his French club.

Marseille will sign Newcastle winger Remy Cabella next month for around £6M- so we get about half back what we paid out to Marseille for Florian Thauvin – who is having as much trouble in the Premier League as Remy had last season.

Any chance that Remy could be offered in a part exchange deal for the Belgium striker doesn´t seem to be on the cards so if Newcastle were to try to bring in the twice capped striker it would have to be for around £20M – and he´s way overpriced at that amount for somebody completely untested at the highest level.

Michy Batshuayi -592595

Michy Batshuayi – Marseille striker

We have no idea how he will do in the tough English Premier League – so paying that amount out would be a (big) risk – especially when we seem to have made another mistake in signing a player too similar to Cabella – who had just failed at Newcastle last season.

Newcastle would need to pay out about the same amount – £20M – to get West Brom´s 22 year-old English striker Saido Berahino and since this lad has already played 80 Premier League games for Wast Brom and scored 22 league goals – he´s much less of a risk and seemingly much better value for the same money.

And there´s always Charlie Austin – our favorite – you would never have guessed it – who has played 35 Premier League games for QPR and scored 18 goals and since his contract ends at QPR next June we could get him in for around £7M – and he would seem to be the best deal for Newcastle.

Other clubs interested in the striker include Juventus, Tottenham and Crystal Palace, who are currently 6th in the Premier League .

The Marseille President Victor Labrune is doubtful he can keep Michy past this season – but he surmises that if the French club could make the Champions League next season he may be able to persuade Michy to stay.

But Marseille are off the pace and in 9th pace in the league on 24 points right now – and 7 points behind 3rd placed Monaco.

This is what Labrune has said in the french press:

“If I could offer him Euros 700,000 a month, I would, but that’s impossible.”

“If you go in the Champions League next year, and that Michy wants to stay one more season, it would be a pleasure.”

With so much more money coming into the Premier League starting next June the top players will want to play in England for at least a couple of reasons.

One is that the games are high visibility and covered around the world live – and the players will also be able to get much bigger wages in England as the PL clubs make more money through the huge TV rights deals.

Bottom line – we don´t think Michy Batshuayi is worth £20M.

What do you think?

52 responses so far ↓

• 1 welshgeordie9 // Dec 15, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Get Austin in, simples.

• 2 firebug666 // Dec 15, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Good luck for tomorrow mate, (it is tomorrow your dad goes in isn’t it)?

Wishing him the best mate.

• 3 Hail Wor Ashley // Dec 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Doubt there’ll be a ST signing at all, even if Cisse leaves. Riviere on the mend, and Armstrong to come back next season, SDJ getting up to speed to complement a lone ST as an option, nope, can’t see a case that’s convince the powers that be to fork out for a ST.

• 4 firebug666 // Dec 15, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Hail Wor Ashley

I’m not holding my breath for any signings in January, Charnley did say we would not be doing any business in the winter windows unless it’s sales.

So if anyone does come in it will be a bonus….I guess!

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Dec 15, 2015 at 8:20 PM

It’s been changed, went to have a chat with the consultant today and now after what he told him, he’s going to have chemo after Xmas, something I didn’t say before was that they changed what they were going to do on Thursday and instead of having a big op they changed to a small op it was a case of in Thursday morning and then out in the afternoon but my dad said to me the chances of him surviving is one in three so they are crap odds, so he’s going to cancel the operation for Thursday tomorrow and then start chemo after Xmas, still not good news just changed his options.

• 6 welshgeordie9 // Dec 15, 2015 at 8:26 PM

It’s up and down at the moment don’t know whether we are coming or going, third time this week things have changed regarding what they are going to do.

• 7 firebug666 // Dec 15, 2015 at 8:27 PM

You know chemotherapy can work just as well mate, the odds may not be great, but then your dad could be the one.

Stay positive, try to have a good family Christmas, make it one to remember, and hopefully the New year will bring better news.

You and you family will be in my thoughts this year mate, keep your chin up.

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Dec 15, 2015 at 8:39 PM

I know mate but with those odds he doesn’t want to take the risk, he showed me a diagram tonight what they were going to do, they were going to cut at least 3 parts away maybe more just to get to the part that they want.

• 9 firebug666 // Dec 15, 2015 at 8:55 PM

It’s scary mate, I know. Look at it this way though, they know it is there, and they have time to deal with it, great leaps forward have been made in the fight against cancer.

I lost several family members and friends to the dreaded thing, but I have had the good fortune to see some of them beat it.

Let’s hope and pray that your dad is one of them, and beats this.

More people are surviving cancer than ever mate, come on chin up.

• 10 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Check this out it’s mint haha. Love it.

• 11 firebug666 // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Brilliant, I did the same thin twice, once when we played Millwall, I was working in London at the time, and went with work mates, the second time was at the Boro, I was just yards away from the away fans, We beat Millwall 4-0 and drew 2-2 with Boro

Happier day, but a lot older and wiser now lol.

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I bet they were seething with it being 93 mins. Foaming! Brilliant photo!

• 13 firebug666 // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Fortune favours the bold, he’s a brave lad.

• 14 firebug666 // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Boro are wining tonight 1-0 V Burnley

• 15 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:35 PM

They are doing well. Think they will be visiting st james next season.

• 16 jane // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM

2 goals for Austin

• 17 jane // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Austin interviewed straight after the match says he is going to be there till the end of the season and is not going anywhere. must have a big summer move lined up!

• 18 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Toon-prodigy I thought you said they were doing well?

• 19 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Well it’s gone nice and quiet, got a bit turgid earlier what with bobbybee insisting he continues going off one one, and Jeff demonstrating his strained relationship with humour. Are we due another Charlie Austin article? I’ll stick around in that case.

• 20 jane // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM

good come back by QPR against the leaders, recon Jimmy Floyd’s going to be a success.

Brighton v Boro top of the table clash live on Saturday.

• 21 angelswithdirtyfaces // Dec 15, 2015 at 9:58 PM

If Bielsa really is the Swans target it simply goes to demonstrate the poverty of ambition of Mr Ashley for our club.

• 22 Jib // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Tsunki a pic for you to save
    You have my permission to use it as a screen saver

• 23 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:14 PM

I bet Ed completely ignores that Charlie Austin has just came out after the game and said he’s going nowhere.

• 24 welshgeordie9 // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:16 PM

I bet jail have got one of Ashley by his bed with some candles and some roses around it.

Ha ha ha

• 25 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Tsunki whats the score like? Lol i meant this season in general haha.

• 26 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:25 PM

What’s happened to Keith and Orville Skunki?

• 27 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Did you eat them ??

• 28 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:28 PM

• 29 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:57 PM

I have my suspicions that Keith and Orville might be in Ian Toons cellar.

I spent a lot of time In there recently and unless you enjoy the darkness and Ian Toons singing and poetry, hmmmm well quite franky its going to be a nighmare.

• 30 Jib // Dec 15, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Bed and Breakfast has disappeared since we started winning games.
    Ibiza is back in the UK I believe

• 31 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Oh shit Jib. You know what that means. Ibiza has been radicalized and he’s planning a protest outside Sports direct.

• 32 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:02 PM

• 33 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:04 PM

• 34 Jib // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Do you think he’ll buy a Honda 50cc !? !?
    Red of course

• 35 Belfast // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Of course. It’s a two man protest. Ibiza and his Honda 50. 🙂

• 36 Jib // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:09 PM

• 37 Jib // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:16 PM

I think I spotted Ibiza in Toon yesterday

• 38 Lindisfarne // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:38 PM

I wonder if Batshuayi would have cost less than£12M before the season began and if only we had had an experienced Scout looking at the club……oh wait a minute!

• 39 Munster Mag // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Welshie, keep going mate. I hope he takes the chemo. Some people do not suffer it as badly as others. Keep him fighting welshie, keep going .

• 40 Lindisfarne // Dec 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM

I feel like I have just walked in on a homosexual act taking place….not a plesant experience and difficult to resume a thread of topic.

• 41 swemag // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:48 AM

Cabaye was available and we went for Thauvin.
    If anything I would like a player in that category. Not sure we could find anything in our price range with the same quality.

• 42 will die for the toon army // Dec 16, 2015 at 3:00 AM

Realistically, i cld keep Cisse till the end of the season.

For January,
    1.Buy Matip to ease the transition from Colo.
    2. Buy Shelvey coz we really need a CM who can pass the ball or try to shoot.
    3. Buy Townsend and send Aarons on loan. He really needs it.
    4. If Cisse goes buy Lassoga.

My Team after Jan:

• 43 Sav // Dec 16, 2015 at 3:50 AM

If we can trade in Thauvin for an upgrade to those second hand car dealers in Marseille, I’d say go for it!
    As the time for resolutions are getting close, my personal hate is referring to the Changing Room as the Dressing Room. Dressing Rooms are in theatres. At sporting venues, the proper term is Changing Room. I don’t care if footballers arrive in a tux or a sequinned ballgown. Its still a Changing Room. Perhaps at small provincial newspapers the same hack has to cover the local panto and the rugby but that is no excuse. Please get it right in 2016.

• 44 Santon03 // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:38 AM

too quick to judge Thauvin, he hasn’t got many chance to play.

• 45 Ron Knee // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:40 AM

Morning jesper

That post of TP@10: I did the same thing at White Hart Lane back in the early 70s. I was surrounded by Spurs fans!

• 46 Average_Contents // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:04 AM

Ron knee

I’ve done it at goodison with my brother. Right behind the dugout.

Think we went on to lose 3-1 that day though. Memories a little foggy.

• 47 Ron Knee // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:10 AM

It’s impossible not to cheer when your team scores!

• 48 Toonfan8 // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:40 AM

Michy would be great player, but we have other problem positions, CB,LB,DM have to be sorted out…Matip,Willems,Shelvey(Xhaka,Tielemans) that would do it for me…and then we should go for players like Michy(Berahino),Redmond….these players should be our targets

• 49 Toonfan8 // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Also Hakim Ziyech is good player at Twente and they are in big trouble…

• 50 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Ed…the only I see QPR accepting anything close to £ 7M is if promotion is not an option for QPR anymore…

…I don’t see us doing any business worth our while in January. It will mean we will have to break the bank to acquire the players we need.

Morning Ron…

• 51 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:06 AM

Ron…are you London based?

• 52 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:11 AM

swemag…in terms of playing style I think we play more British than continental which will suggest we are buying the wrong kind of wingers.

Cabella, Thauvin doesn’t seem to fit the ‘concept’. Maybe they need to go more British or find someone who has played in the PL for a while.

previous post: Small Chance Magpies Can Get This Top Playmaker Next Month

next post: Can Newcastle Make It Three Wins In A Row Against Villa?