The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Transfer Target Says He’s Not Interested

10:09 am, Wednesday, December 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 63 Comments

Rob Elliot has so far been little short of a revelation for Newcastle in the eight games he’s played in goal for the team since Tim Krul was injured and Rob has been our Man of the Match more often than not in those games – including last Sunday in the unbelievable 2-1 win at Tottenham.

In that game Rob made two stunning saves from Erik Lamela in the first half to keep us in the game.

Ans certainly when Tim was first injured we were linked with a number of goalkeepers including Victor Valdes of Manchester United, and PSG’s Salvatore Sirigu – both of whom were not playing and wanted regular playing time.

Stephane Ruffier of AS Saint-Etienne

29 year-old Stephane Ruffier of AS Saint-Etienne

And we were also linked with Saint-Etienne’s French International goalkeeper Stephane Ruffier.

But there’s a report today in Foot Mercato that he is not at all interested in joining Newcastle in January.

The only case where we think Newcastle would want to bring in a goalkeeper in January is if Rob Elliot is injured – and we have to remember he’s still carrying a slight injury to his thigh.

If Rob is injured we will see Newcastle move quickly for a good goalkeeper – but probably only on loan through the end of the season.

We’d be very surprised if Newcastle want to permanently sign another goalkeeper after the way Elliot has starred for us in the last eight games.

In fact if Rob keeps playing like he’s been playing he will not only be Ireland’s starting goalkeeper in the Euro 2016 Championships in June in France, but he will give Tim Krul a stern test for the number one goalkeeping jersey next season.

And if Rob does keep playing well he also deserves an improved contract at the club – he’s worth it.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Rob Elliot · Scouting Network · Tim Krul · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

63 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rotonda heights // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM

With Elliot in fine fettle, Darlow now available and Krul to return at some point, surely it’s not a priority to get another frenchman who doesn’t really want to be here.

As for last thread I would be extremely disappointed if we got Townsend. He may look flashy at times but his end product and stats are woeful, he frustratingly shoots from miles out, defines the expresson headless chicken

• 2 geordie157 // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM

We’re fine with Elliot, Darlow and Woodman.

Matip, Ben Davies, Tielemans and Austin please.

And Narsingh too! Need to shift Williamson, Gouffran plus a couple of others to make space ie Vuckic, Ferguson.

• 3 davetoon // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Going back to Leicester – if they do end up in the europa spots as most expect I will be interested to see how they go next season with a few injuries and Thursday night football.
    I suspect the same as we found out a few seasons ago.

• 4 Jib // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM

According to this North African footy site
    Hakim Ziyech a Dutch attacking midfielder of Morrocan descent who plays for Twente Enschede (22 years old 47 games 20 goals) is meeting with his agent Marjolein Nakhli (Nakhli Mondial) to choose between us or Aston Villa.

• 5 davetoon // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Nit another midfielder. Who would all these midfielders we are supposedly after replace?
    Surely our priority id a Centre back and both full backs

• 6 Reyantoon // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:35 AM

It’s nice to see Ashley and his lutenant Charnley
    hugging and celebrating when we scored the second goal.Hope that kind of win motivated him to sign some players in January & push on the table and possibly the FA cup.Hugging Charnley like that indicates his right hand man is going no where anytime soon eh 🙂

• 7 BandB // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Merry Yuletide old beanbag.
    I haven’t vanished. Just doing what normal folks do at Christmas when they have work and family, which is a fair alternative to reading you filling your day and the blog with your querulous inanities.
    I thought we’d beat Liverpool and Spurs, or at least get something. I have said all along we have a game designed to withstand the top six teams and the way they play. It plays to our strengths, such as they are.
    Nevertheless, it is a busy time and I’m not in the least bit concerned if you want to suggest I’m lying low. There’s no-one who’s opinion I fear, least of all yours….

Belfast. Welcome back. I find it funny that you have finally plucked up the courage to take my withdrawal as the opportunity to emerge from you crash and burn period with a dig.

I never once inquired where you were 🙂

Merry Christmas everyone.

• 8 Bambams // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM

After watching Ash and Charnley after we scored I found it quite amusing.
    Ash becomes ‘A Gallowgate Radgie’ immediately jumping around, then….Once Charnley sees this he starts. As if he awaits permission!
    Just how I saw it….

• 9 Rotonda heights // Dec 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM

forgot about woodman. in that case definitely not a priority.

Think we are ok for strikers too with mitro, perez, cisse, rivi, arma, toney etc.

If SDJ can become the midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and dictate, all well and good there in midfield.

Only possibility is maybe Matip or Robin Knoche for CB, although Lascelles and MBabu need game time too.

Dummet has done quite well but isn’t really a LB and Haidara is a bit Obertanish , but it’s gone quiet on that Portugese guy playing in France.

• 10 AncientC // Dec 16, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Reyantoon, the goal against Tottenham signified an upturn in form and an optimistic chance of safety. Of course Ashley was celebrating, the same as any gambler celebrates when they put money in their pocket.

You don’t really think Ashley was enjoying the goal as a supporter do you?

• 11 Rotonda heights // Dec 16, 2015 at 11:07 AM

I think it’s well established friend Jib has issues and finds pleasant social interaction challenging, even at this time of year. Really not worth giving him the oxygen of publicity he so desperately craves inbetween his trips to the offy.

• 12 Jib // Dec 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM

On rewatching the Spurs game I still feel the same as I did while watching it live.

What the hell did Perez get the yellow card for in the collision in the box with Vertonghen.

Ayoze was attacking the ball as he has every right to do as a striker in the penalty area and the Belgian put himself in harms way to make an excellent last ditch clearance.

Bad reffing IMO

• 13 Average_Contents // Dec 16, 2015 at 11:28 AM

It is indeed a very busy time of year. Obviously not for some as you say.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Are you implying that Penfold dare not make a move (in anything) until the fat slug says so or does it himself.

Nope, not our beloved little secretary. No way, he’s his own man dont you know.

• 14 davetoon // Dec 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM

I agree that we are set up or conditioned to play a counter attacking style and playing teams luke pool or spuds where we can sit back and then break with either gini or sissoko suits.
    I’m sure everyone remembers the horror of trying to break down a stubborn mackem team who stole the game at the end as an example of how we struggle to score when dominating possession

• 15 Essex Geordie Bill // Dec 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Jib, I agree re. comment 12, I was thinking much the same thing at the time, Perez would probably have been slated if he hadn’t gone for that 50/50 ball. Be a bummer if the totting up system causes us to lose him at a crucial time. (although aren’t they all 🙂 )

• 16 Lindisfarne // Dec 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM

defenders needed

As you say there is a lot of money both swilling around and being miss-spent needlessly pushing up average player price. It makes me wonder if there is a need any more for so called rich owners?

Not entirely sure your solution to spreading the wealth has the most validity, but it is one of many options and would need a strong FA with good representatives to compromise with all the relevant bodies. I myself would prefer four or even five teams to be relegated / promoted but the parachute payments would and should be sorted out.

• 17 Lindisfarne // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Enjoy your roasted chestnuts!

• 18 Lindisfarne // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:04 PM

It will be interesting to see how Schtevie deals with the potential over exposure caused by greater possession and lack of technical ability.

• 19 Lindisfarne // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:12 PM

IMO the Europa league is a glass half full / empty situation. Pochetino at Spurs is right it should not be an excuse but a reflection of the teams qualities. After all competing at a supposedly higher level than just the national league should be a pleasure and an acknowledgement of success.

• 20 Ian Toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:26 PM

BandB – It’s Christmas so no football content allowed. I hope you have a great family Christmas.. I too have missed Belfast( go on you know you have really!)
    I love situation comedy whether intentional or not and in the real world identify body language both positive and negative as a means of securing clarity and an understanding. You’ll know what I mean .

Belfast is very much I would say a what you see is what you get sort – as my gran would say, he hasn’t got a mean bone in his body. Anyway he’s often lured me to read blog in- put with his riotously entertaining dry and often self hating wit. In my opinion this has been a poor year for the blog for many reasons but Belfast’s ice bucket challenge which he turned into a Jesper breeze block challenge together with his Keith and Orville sketch made me laugh and is making me smile now. Honest they were savagely funny. Any Belfast sceptics were I am sure won over.
    Skunki- I mean Tsunki was the loser when they went solo. Belfast can do the one liners and he doesn’t have short fat hairy legs to contend with- so I’m told.!

• 21 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM

• 22 Jib // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM

• 23 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM

• 24 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM

• 25 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Ian Toon as ever what on earth are you babbling about? What do I have to do with Belfast or any other poster on this site?

• 26 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM

• 27 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM

• 28 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM

• 29 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Well done, Dufuss. That was a compliment btw 😀

• 30 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM

• 31 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Have I just arrived at my own funeral ??

I suppose I’ll have to respond to the not the so iron lady !

Dearest Beatrix,

My crash and burn period Haha

I can assure you 110% that my “crash and burn period” had absolutely nothing to do with your ugly mug.

Your Thatcher tribute act does grate on me to be fair, and the desperate attempts to be top dog are a bit cringe worthy. Oh and those Keith and Orville tag teaming incidents are very annoying to read, but I’m a big boy I can deal with it.

I wish you’d stop trying to suggest I don’t have the swingers to say anything face to face when you know that’s not the case. Probably one of a very few on here who doesn’t put up with your bollox to be honest.

Probably speak to you after the next defeat eh

Regards Belfast

• 32 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about –
    Oscar Wilde

I can’t help but have a quick scan through the many click through articles I miss in order to catch the current flavour and take in the inevitable battles and wrangles amongst old foes of like mind. I can’t help but notice the occasional random mentions of yours truly, as the usual dubious wits spark up an idea they must purge before their simple intellect relinquishes it.

Invariably Ray/Jeff/Jib has a wild swing at a barb or two, usually when he is almost certain I am not around to retort, so he can at least savour a momentary victory in between inevitable and horrendous gaffes.

But it seems Ian Toon, of the questionable identity fame, seems to have this burning nappy rash of a previous hurt that just cannot be salved or soothed, resulting in regular peristaltic disgorging of his literary gems. Today I am referenced, not for the first time, as having been ejected from some supposed blog comedy double act which I was not aware I was ever a part of. For what reason? Who knows. Probably Ian. Or one of the other Ian’s that I may have dealt with a little less than consolingly in the past. Rub some sudocrem into it Ian. It’ll pass.

• 33 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Oh look the leader of the double act is here. Thanks for firing me you git. Ian’s noticed I am in limbo these days. 🙂

• 34 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:56 PM

I agree on all points Ian. I’m still alive and kicking though, just working a bit later than I normally do.

• 35 BandB // Dec 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Dear Belfast,

It does strike me as deeply unhealthy that someone should form such a visceral loathing for a blog avatar they don’t know and who had never even noticed you existed before you embarked on this creepy obsession.

It’s like being savaged by a turbot.

Seasonal goodwill, all the same.

• 36 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Well I did tell you Butch Cassidy was a nobody without the sundance kid. It all went down hill for you when you left.

I’ve fingers in all sorts of pies now, and well…… you’re just eating them. 😉

• 37 Ian Toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Tsunki- A magnificent torrent of little analysis but much abuse. A scything through the cliches and lazy thinking. Your wrong on so many levels. I will leave you there with your misguided and totally wrong interpretation. My post was in praise of Belfast and a comedic dig at you. Incidentally try forming your own opinions your far too gullible – I have only ever posted under Ian Toon.
    Enjoy your Christmas .

• 38 Jib // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:03 PM

• 39 welshgeordie9 // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Belfast is a funny guy but not as funny as me

Ha ha ha

• 40 BandB // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:08 PM

You seem cheery enough Welshie.
    If I don’t ask about your dad will you throw a tantrum?
    Seems to me you are trying to have it both ways.

• 41 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Good response Beatrix. I was expecting some dodgy quotes and some private education soundbites.

I only asked about your whereabouts because I thought you’d maybe quit the blog in a huff and threw one of your tantrums.

• 42 BandB // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Strange company you keep these days, Belfast.

Oh…Is that the time?……

• 43 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Ian – abusive? Moi? I can take a comedic dig, after all I dish it out so that would be fair. As for the multiple person thing – gullible? I’m not 100% convinced by anything save that so far the weight of evidence and the consensus seem to go against you. I don’t mind, I’ve done a bit of that myself tbf. 🙂

I’m sorry if I don’t get the comedy in this case ( double act with Belfast?); as it’s been referenced before I’m inclined, maybe wrongly, to think there’s something of an issue behind it that’s all.

You have to admit it would pique your interest if someone who posts sparingly hardly failed to randomly mention you as part of some vague comedy reference.

• 44 Ian Toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Welsh – You’ve, a way or away to go. Pleased to read on the update on your father. Hope it doesn’t dismiss your xmas too much.
    I was at the Spurs game with the toon fans and saw all 3 goals scored. I had forgotten what a difference the toon army make – I am a little behind with the singing these days but Coloccini is very much back in favour.
    Take care.

• 45 welshgeordie9 // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:13 PM

I’m always cheery pet, throw a tantrum no I don’t think so, what goes around comes around.

• 46 WWSBRD // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Elliott hasn’t pushed Krul since he joined and he has had the odd time starting before now as for international he’s kept out by Millwalls GK isn’t he?

When Krul comes back he is number 1 without a worry with Darlow pushing him. Elliott’s on a decent run of form and fair play to him but he will be back to 3rd choice soon enough

• 47 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:17 PM

I’m eating fingers now? Hmm these rumours just don’t stop do they? 🙂

• 48 welshgeordie9 // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Ian Toon

You alright mate, cut a long story short was going to have the big op which would take a couple of months to recover then they changed to a small op which of been tomorrow in and out on the same day now found out yesterday because the odds of him surviving are not got then he’s decided to have chemo after Xmas.

• 49 Ian Toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Tsunki- When your not a whining monkey I have always found you good value. Notice I didn’t describe you as a blog treasure.
    You just don’t like those who have alternative views – football opinions are not included in this conclusion. I don’t view some of your prime targets as being anything but good value.
    Does it really matter whether a blogger gets knowledge, in order to form an opinion, from the Internet, a mate, newspaper etc. I personally find it helpful. Maybe you have more time on your hands than me.
    You’ve got me wrong anyway.

• 50 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:30 PM

‘ A Whining Monkey’? That’s a very slip shod insult Ian, I could have mistaken you for having a modicum of good judgement up until then. Careful where you go with those.

So, now we are getting to the nub of the matter. I am perceived as the nemesis of your blog club of fringe and misunderstood characters, most notably Jeff/Jib it seems. How endearing that you jump to the defence of a blog copy and paste artist (you do realise your praise of him is quite damming btw?) because you feel he is unfairly singled out for his snapshot knowledge and piratical posting of hyperlinks? Wrong, wring,wrong, Ian. I don’ t like Ray because his personality oozes all over the blog and smears everyone with his sniping, petty, quarrelsome nitpicking chirps. And that’s when he’s not being outright offensive. Ian you need to take up the cause of someone more worthy before sticking your flag on them. Unless…you…are…..

• 51 geordieboy83 // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:32 PM

B and B

Sorry but that was a bit unnecessaraily antagonistic and frankly a bit out of order to Welsh that like.

On a footy related chat, I’m very worried about Saturday. It’s got typical toon banana skin written all over it.

• 52 dok - the horrid colonial // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:33 PM

gmorning all, from the dark side of the pond…

first off, as im not on much these days, I wish all, and I mean everyone, a quality xmas, however you celebrate it…

welsh, thoughts and prayers for your dad, rest assured, ive got a cup with his name on our xmas table, all the best to him and your family, keep ya heads up 🙂

one thing ive noticed, however, we, as supporters on here, are angry when our club play poorly, and still at each other when weve come up with two great results… id have thought wed have been overjoyed by our recent form collectively… maybe give the potshots a break, as im thankful for what I have, and thankful to be a toon supporter, even over here by myself in texas…

Cheers all…

• 53 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Funny thing is Ian, until not so long ago I had thought that whatever your past affairs on the blog had been, it had little to do with me and with the passage of time I imagined that I would virtually forget all that stuff, move on and engage on a peer level from time to time. Thanks for straightening me out on that one, then.

• 54 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Shut it dok you horrid colonial 🙂

• 55 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:36 PM

It goes without saying you too, Belfast.

• 56 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:37 PM

…He’s across the pond too. Shifty individuals all of them.

• 57 dufuss // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Same old,same old vitriol extraordinaire,Best leave you lot to it,no football chat here.

• 58 Ian Toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM

It’s from a Rod Liddle book. You need to get out more and meet real people- there all different. You don’t have to like them all as in my opinion respect comes first.
    I realise you shouldn’t always treat and view people by the way they treat you but I do feel I have a greater ability and insight into the human psyche than you appear to have. That’s simply my opinion. I already have taken up a number of causes as you put it.
    Until the next time.

• 59 Jib // Dec 16, 2015 at 2:58 PM

The real B and B came out @ 40.
    Belfast is right she’s a real nasty piece of work.

• 60 AncientC // Dec 16, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Ian Toon, I have a good suggestion you could take up as one of your “causes.” Go learn the difference between “your” and “you’re,” an enthusiast of verbosity such as yourself, should really know the difference.

• 61 BandB // Dec 16, 2015 at 3:18 PM

I was the very first person on this blog to offer Welshgeordie my support and sympathy.
    However, since that time he has been happy to use his father’s illness as an excuse to beat other bloggers for their crassness and insensitivity.
    However, when his mates are are he is quite happy to join in with the Jibbery-Pokery sneering at all and sundry as he has always done.
    If I was his mother I would be utterly ashamed of him.
    It’s foul.

• 62 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Sorry Ian, but you see Jib there? Now, tell me that’s not hypocrisy. Go on.

• 63 switch365 // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:12 PM

If Alexander Klitschko and Jonjo Shelvey had a kid – Stephane Ruffier …

previous post: Southampton To Challenge Newcastle For Top Target