The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Newcastle Target Will Still Be Available Next Month

4:37 pm, Wednesday, December 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

Charlie Austin scored two goals in the final 25 minutes last night to bring QPR back to a 2-2 draw with Chris Hughton’s Brighton team and that gives Charlie 10 goals in 14 games this season – so this lad keeps on scoring.

And there has been news recently that Charlie is very willing to stay on at QPR until the summer when he will become a free agent.

We’ve been very impressed with the loyalty the 26 year-old has shown QPR and that reflects well on his character and on his temperament.

charlie austin

Charlie Austin – good value at £7M

And while we are sure Charlie would be very happy to stay at QPR past January that’s not his choice to make and we think if QPR get a bid of say £7M for him they will sell Charlie.

New QPR manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has talked about his star striker:

“In football there are no guarantees and everybody wants to make a profit.  “At the end of the day it’s a business. But do we want to sell him? No.”

“It’s up to the owners and as a manager I can only advise and can only say ‘No, I don’t want him to leave – I need him’ and I think they would respect that.”

“I’m, very happy with his goals but he’s done so much more than that with his work off the ball.”

“But it’s not just about him. It’s about the team and he doesn’t score if the ball doesn’t come in and if other players are not prepared to sweat.”

We’d like to see Newcastle put in a bid of say £7M for Charlie in January and he’s much less of a risk and a lower price than other strikers on the continent we are currently linked with.

And since he’s at half the price he was up for in the summer – why wouldn’t Newcastle make a move?

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Ladies annnnnnddddd Geeee-entlemennnnn – I give you……..Mr Charles Austin! Warm your cheeks on another homely article on our never to be future golden boy.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Has Ian been sniffing glue and why does he always turn up a day after Sack Llambias has said something creepy to me ?

• 4 cyprus // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Is this Austin what we need? I’m thinking Bellamy Aguero style, this is another Mitrovic.

Welcome Warm Up!

On game, thinking draw. 7 out of 9 can’t be bad, especially against a ‘currently’ fellow relegation candidate.

Ed. Hold your horses in that top 6 ambition. And this from me, who said top 4 by next year…

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:44 PM

And so it begins…….

Also……can we please please please give Marv to the Mackems as a Christmas present? And Obertan? And Rivy? And Ashley?

Also seen the chronicle linking Tiote with a move away but SMC is keen to retain him……dear god why!
    Were flooded with sideways passing CDM’s really fail to see the benefit of keeping an unfit midfielder who lost his form 3 seasons ago and has no idea where he left offers to the squad

Priority this window has to be strengthening the defence with a long term replacement for Colo, a LB who knows how to defend (granted the young lad Mbabu looked canny there) and a midfielder in the creative mould

Please Charnley don’t spend all window attempting to blow your wad all over Charlie Austin…

• 6 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Jail he’s been crushing me jewels with his crazy bants today, he’s bordering on mystic lunatic I think. He’s 100% behind Jeff and sees great blog value in him. I’m also the ejected part of a double act with Belfast, who I believe he has the hots for.

• 7 hibbitt // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM

tads………don’t give a shit if there pink with yellow dots or from timbuctoo but the criteria your placing on the british player must also apply to our foreign legion as were buy to many foreign flops

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:47 PM

I know it’s controversial but I really think, and I know it sounds a bit premature, we should sell Austin. I mean, he’s done absolutely nowt so far.

• 9 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Oh it’s such a perfect day deee deee deee deee Charlie Austin articles on the blog…..

• 10 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:49 PM

The somewhat possible shock results (personally fancied us vs spuds) were very welcome but not a particular surprise we always seem to pick up those kind of results
    But for me I’m not convinced we’ve turned a corner until we start picking up points from the teams around us

Want us to absolutely smash Villa, personally my most hated PL club, pointless club that lot offer nout to the league and have sh1t fans, somehow they cling on every season but essentially their in the league making up the numbers

• 11 catchy in norway // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM

In the cinema waiting for Star Wars to start, very excited.

Almost as excited as when I heard palace where after p45.

Glory days

• 12 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM

And then later another Austin article and then home…

• 13 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Kets has probably already sold him for 35 million Skunki.

• 14 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Did I say we didn’t?
    No, I said British shouldn’t be the criteria, experience and quality should, said absolutely sweet f*^k all to deny the fact we’ve signed some absolute garbage from overseas, but that’s not fixed by flooding the teams with 90’s throwback “grafter” footballers

• 15 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Think we should sign at least five British players…

Oh hi tads.

• 16 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Has anyone started an official pool on how many Austin articles a day we’ll get
    Will they rival the Carroll numbers?

• 17 catchy in norway // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I had to win both v Lpool and spuds, and I think we will smash 4 past villa ,

I used to like them, but I think that’s because we had some good results against them , but now after the relegation , I hope they set a new low record when relegated

• 18 cyprus // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM

TADS, don’t get me wrong. I too hope for that but I think they’ll consider this the last chance café… They’ll probably get something. Hope not

• 19 cyprus // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Good one

• 20 Ron Knee // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I can see Villa scoring in the 93rd minute. Surely we’ve used up our ration of injury time goals?

• 21 catchy in norway // Dec 16, 2015 at 4:59 PM

There will be at least 1 post a day , some of them just telling us what he eats, another might tell us if he has pets, we might even get one which lets us know his grades from his school days. Then when Feb rolls around and he doesn’t sign, Ed will be gutted that he signs for palace, or will he, hmmm

• 22 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Fully expecting articles involving questionable photos taken from distance on a sh1t camera phone asking if it’s Austin refuelling at Manchester services on his way to tyneside

• 23 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM

The worst of the worst have rocked up and battered Villa this season

We’ll make them look like Brazil!

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Just seen Swansea could be in talks Marcelo Bielsa……..
    I hate you mike

• 25 SPRINGY // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM

evening all
    i read ever banega is out of contract in the summer and since we’ve been linked with him a few times, i was wondering if anyone on here has watched him regular or thinks he worth looking at for cm??

• 26 Belfast // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Well the fact Ed is completely ignoring what Charlie Austin said last night suggests there’s a big pile of Austin articles on their way.

• 27 lesh // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:22 PM

But Austin said after last night’s game that he was at QPR till the end of the season.

Ok, money talks and if we really do want a proven Prem striker, then we should offer a fee that QPR will accept and wages that’ll make Austin take the offer seriously.

But, we’ve gotta hope that Charnley sees the wisdom of doing a cost-benefit analysis and then has the guts to put up a strong argument to get Ashley to approve the investment. That though is where things fall to pieces – Charnley works to orders and doesn’t seem to have a creative thought in his head let alone the guts to challenge Ashley’s philosophy.

What a state of affairs

• 28 lesh // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Bielsa’s got a reputation for being a bit of a maverick. He’s never been at a club for more than two years.

Is that what we need?

• 29 Jib // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Milan are trying to persuade Joel Matip to hang on until June 2016 when his contract with Schalke terminates at which time they will get him for nowt but offer him fabulous personal terms .

We are preparing a bid of £10million for January.

It’s down to Schalke now.

• 30 lesh // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Be prepared for a news-flash during Star Wars announcing Toon interest in signing Austin!

• 31 JamesToon // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Im going for a 3-0 win for us against villa…if we turn up again. If not then i can see it being a 3-2 loss.

I’d go with this against villa:

need to prove our quality by beating the worst team in the league convincingly.

• 32 geordieboy83 // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:36 PM

R.e banega

In a heartbeat mate, if I could I’d pick him up myself to get him here, a class above what we’ve got

• 33 nightfa11 // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM

i dont thing getting a new striker in is a way to go..

perez must play
    mitrovic was angry, cos he was left out for 2 matches
    when armstrong comes back, he will need to play

if we get austin or sbd else..perez and mitro just might demand to be sold..and losing 2 top european strikers for austin..bad move.. austin is good player..but mitro and perez are both better..

• 34 LGFUAD21 // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:49 PM

We do t need attacking midfielders. Gini and De Jong can do that role and Perez can easily improve his creativity with a few pointers (like releasing the ball to team mates)

We need a rock of a DM in front of our defence a rb a CB and some attacking threat from the wings.

• 35 loonie-toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Wonder how much it would cost to get shelvey and a fink if we got Townsend play him on left. Keep sossoko on right e won’t cut in playin on left lol

• 36 Thump // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Am I the only one who gets itchy when there hasn’t been a mention of Charlie Austin in a day?

• 37 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Ed…I don’t want to jump to any conclusion but something tells me you really want us to sign Austin? 😉

• 38 Bambams // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM

As much as I would love to agree with you that Austin is stating he is happy to stay – suggesting loyalty……My goodness he would be entitled to a cracking signing on fee when he becomes a free agent in the summer.
    He is in a win/win situation

• 39 Thump // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:19 PM

@jesper: I think if Ed was given a choice between Austin and Messi, he’d vote for Austin.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Thump…You gotta hand it to Ed he’s persistent!

…I might just feel sorry for him now if we don’t try and sign him.

• 41 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:26 PM

See I thought playing Townsend on the left would mean he would not cut inside but I have watched quite a few games rather than go for the cross he has cut into shoot on his weaker foot !!! Was he greedy or doing this under instructions??

Have a funny feeling that Gray from Birmingham would be a better long term option ! Dont miss out on another Redmond style player !!

• 42 Our Toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Last week Jimmy dropped him and didn’t play a striker. Never seen so much hype over a piss poor player like Austin in some time!! Defence needs sorting out and CM/DM. Austin is happy to stay at QPR because he has no takers….the ones that might be interested won’t pay his daft wages as he’s not worth it!!

• 43 JamesToon // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Club talked about rebuilding over 3 windows, so i think we will defo see some ins and outs.

For January, i think 4 signings would do: CB, LB, CM, RW/LW
    Ryan Shawcross or Joel Matip
    Ben Davies or Andrew Robertson
    Jonjo Shelvey or Granit Xhaka
    Nathan Redmond or Andros Townsend

Then in the summer we should buy a decent defensive mid and pacey striker:
    Victor Wanyama or Jack Cork
    Saido Berahino or Callum Wilson

• 44 Our Toon // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:40 PM

As for villa game, some disrespectful comments towards them as we’ve seen no games are easy wins. Villa have become a little more compact under Garde and better. They’ll have pace upfront or a big man in Gestede, both are big weaknesses for us. Don’t assume we’ll win, think back to sunday and the week before when we played Liverpool. Nothing is guaranteed, villa will give us a tough match no doubt about it

• 45 JamesToon // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Our toon

I think villa will come and try and attack us, which hopefully should suit sissoko/wijnaldum as it will leave gaps. Just hope we turn up

• 46 welshgeordie9 // Dec 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Totally agree with that comment, never assume.

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM

If we show the same level of commitment we did against Lpool we’ll win on Saturday without a doubt.

• 48 SPRINGY // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM

is he that good like?…heard he’s a good player but havent seen him play that much..could he do the defensive side in midfield we seem to lack at the minute…..just an idea of a bit of a steal if he does’nt sign a contract

• 49 Toon Tang // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Never underestimate the ‘Winbar Theory’ when prediction time comes people.

• 50 WWSBRD // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Ever Banega was injured for 6 months after running himself over wasn’t he? Think that was him no?

• 51 dok - the horrid colonial // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM

if we should the same heart, even when we went down a goal v spurs, we will win..

• 52 SPRINGY // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:45 PM

just had a look and it was ever banega who ran himself over a couple of year ago… were right mate

• 53 catchy in norway // Dec 16, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Gutted, great film , fantastic film in fact , but no new on Austin 🙁

• 54 catchy in norway // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:01 PM

I think Villa have gone in there heads already, I don’t see anything in there team that I fear, I think they are worse than Sunderland and that is saying something , the only thing i fear in that game is the ref.

• 55 Mag52 // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Swansea speaking to Marcelo Bielsa as their prospective new manager, a guy that Guardiola looks up to.
    What does that say about our ambitions as compared to Swansea’s ?

• 56 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:32 PM

Ok I’ll bite Toon Tang mate. What is the Winbar theory?

• 57 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:34 PM

I’m both itchy and scratchy when I don’t hear about Austin Thump mate. We have to have wor Austin fix each and every day. We want Charlie Autism!!!

• 58 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Do people seriously think both Chelsea and Swansea will stay below us? I think we can beat Villa but after that come some very difficult matches. We’re not out of the woods yet by any means.

• 59 JamesToon // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Have to say I’ll be pretty jealous if Swansea get Bielsa. He’s been one of the most influential coaches in the last 10-15 years

• 60 dok - the horrid colonial // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:48 PM

the winbar theorem is very simple… the more ppl vote for us to win, the odds of us getting a beating increase.. its why I always vote “no”….

• 61 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:54 PM

Ah I see dok mate. Well then I’ll vote no as well! This is fantastic! All we have to do is vote no to win! Huzzah!!!!

• 62 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 8:55 PM

I’ll bet Mourinho doesn’t know about this Winbar theorem. No wonder he’s in trouble….

• 63 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM

I vote for the Belgian midget strikers as new co-captains!!!

• 64 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Attack from below. That’s what I always say…..

• 65 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM

A pox on Villa and their supporters. Sand fleas in their crevices!!!

• 66 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM

This winning malarkey is very addictive. What happens after the Villa match and we face some stiff opposition? Now I’m a little worried again. Order some more sand fleas! That’s it!!!

• 67 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Hmmm…I’m on a little roll here. Could I break the consecutive post record again? I’ll just quietly keep texting……

• 68 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Note to self: check to see what the current record is? I have it here at Blog End somewhere…..Hmmmm

• 69 dok - the horrid colonial // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:28 PM

sorry g2, work interrupted as well, tis nice and peaceful now, and without all the nastiness…

blog away lad… maybe some adverts about hair products?

• 70 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Is it under yesterday’s socks? No…… Hmmm. Here’s several days sock supply actually…..

• 71 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Doh!!!! Dok you horrid colonial you!!!!

• 72 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:30 PM

I have some spare sand fleas for you dok so beware!!!

• 73 Average_Contents // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Winbar will be astronomically high I’m guessing.

No no no. Everyone vote no.

Consecutive posts….

• 74 Jib // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:31 PM

We play
    Arsenal away on Saturday 2nd Jan
    Man Utd at Home Tuesday 12th Jan

Watford away between the 2 in the FA cup Saturday 9th Jan

I have a feeling it will be a short cup run for the Magpies this season 😮

• 75 Average_Contents // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:32 PM

It is nice and quiet. Shhhhhh.

Oh so quiet.

Bit weird that bjork bird.

• 76 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Well if Swansea are getting Bielsa then we can kiss goodbye to getting Shelvey !!

• 77 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Phil Gristle is the answer mates. Now I have to work out what the question was. Shhh quietly does it….

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Jibberish @74,
    That should keep you happy for awhile !

• 79 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Short cup runs…..Very restful…very restful indeed. Shhhh

• 80 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Well if Swansea get Bielsa then we must get Guardiola! Fair is fair! Harrumph…..

• 81 GeordieTwo // Dec 16, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Oh and another thing. We’re working on wor season high consecutive win streak right now lads. Sure a lot of you say two in a row is quite impressive….But think of three in a row!! Just think about that! Surely that’s worth a nice bit of silverware from Ashley to the club at the end of the season…..I’m just saying we have to pick up silverware wherever we can lads…..

previous post: Will Newcastle Finally Change Transfer Policy In January?

next post: Star Positive About Newcastle – A Great Club Finally Moving Ahead