The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Have Made Me A Better Person And Better Footballer

4:56 pm, Friday, December 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

Ayoze Perez is catching the eye of a number of Premier League clubs for his excellent play for Newcastle United both this season and last season.

One of those clubs interested is reported to Tottenham Hotspur and his spectacular stoppage time winner last Sunday will make them even more keen on the 22 year-old Spanish striker.

ayoze perez scores winner

Ayoze Perez scoring on Sunday

But Ayoze is consistent in his praise for Newcastle United and he has again talked about how he likes it at Newcastle:

“Newcastle have made me a better person and a better footballer,”

“I’m really happy here and that’s what I have to think – try to do my best every week, grow as a player and that’s it.”

“I have two more years here, so a long time, and that’s good for me because every day I want to grow as a player and try to be in the team and score goals.”

The Spanish U21 striker played 39 times last season with 7 goals and so far this season he has four goals in 16 total appearances this season for Newcastle.

Perez was left out of the first team  rather unfortunately a couple of games ago and he is fighting to regain his starting position.

This is what Ayoze said on nufcTV after he signed and was visiting St. James’ Park and had just met with Peter Beardsley – as he was expected to be part of the Development squad:

“I’m very happy to be here to start this new adventure,” “I’m very eager for it to begin and I’m very pleased to play for this magnificent club.

“Any football player would be interested in playing for such a club and I will earn my position to get in the first team,”

His signing seems to have been  a win/win for both player and club – and as we said he just seems to love Newcastle.

We thought Ayoze signed on a five year deal so that runs out in June 2019?

He’s just a smashing lad and one of our favorite players at the club.

Tags: Ayoze Perez · Coaching · Newcastle News

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 Goldmbemba // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Anyone seen Garde’s comments about his team and players before the game?

I cant fathom why a manager in his position would have a go publically at nZogbia and agbonlahor like that. For a team low on confidence…

Either way, (if he’s being unfair or if there really is a defeatist attitude there), it should be good news for us.

I wont be sorry to see Villa go down, I just hope theres no mercy from us tomorrow. We arent out of the woods yet and we need the points to reach 19, pile the pressure on the others around us.

• 2 firebug666 // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Well that’s one ambition achieved Ayoze, you made it into the first team.

Cracking player and needs to start against Villa.

• 3 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Aren’t you helping in the eye-catching thing by linking our players to other clubs, Ed?

• 4 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:20 PM

He’s just trying to get a reaction from them.
    I do agree that this weekend could be shyt or bust for Villa.
    Until Tsunki mentioned it in passing I didn’t realise our last away fixture is Saturday 7th May at Villa Park !!!
    That is unless it’s Wembley 2 weeks later 😎

• 5 JDdubai // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Really hope we dont start with Cisse, think its time to put Mitro or Perez back in and tyr to get a lead instead of playong crap for an hour and hoping they can come off the bench to save us.

SDJ can handle the 10 position but think he would be much better with a pacy CF ahead of him to strecth the play and leave sspace for him.

Tiote should start on the bench, Mitro for Cisse and possibly squeezing Perez into the starting line up too.

• 6 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Jeff, thanks for the answer, but it’s not what I was pointing out. To be clear, not only does Mike Ashley not give one about TC Mits, Joe Public and the common punter, neither do his partners in venture who greedily support from his chalice, as evidence in this article from September

Yet, after reasonably relentless pressure from the Union protest and the ‘lefty’ newspapers ( by extension all media with similar socialist agenda) it appears the smiles have been wiped off the faces of those laid-back ‘City’ folk, their previous 90% ish vote of confidence in Mike now seeming a little regrettable. No, mike has no feeling for Joe Ordinary, but hitting him where it hurts is achievable it appears, even though you seem oddly enthusiastic about condemning and belittling the efforts that have done this. I stand by my question as to where you think the seeds of discontent against Ashley were sown. it’s documented, so the question is rhetorical. Just wanted to see you acknowledge it.

• 7 matt11_25 // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:40 PM

I’d start Mitro and De Jong up front tomorrow. First half allows for changes, they didn’t produce. Plus Cisse blocked a possible De Jong goal. Not a lot of pace between Mit and Jong but seems to make some good runs in behind into the corners, and they both hold the ball up well,

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Sup from his chalice. Bah

• 9 matt11_25 // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Plus if we stop playing De Jong now, might as well sell him in Jan cause he”ll never get it back.

• 10 beermonkey // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:50 PM

mever owned there records but there playing near me soon and I am tempted to go see them

sing along to a bit of rabbit rabbit and snooker loopy

• 11 toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Mecca likes game changers on the beach, so holding Mitro and Perez back are basically the only options.

• 12 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:53 PM

It’s all words

You say I belittle your efforts and effect , that’s not my raison pour disputer , my socialist credentials are impeccable.

I say you over-estimate your effect , as do the Guardian theirs and the Beast of Bolsover has turned from an ex miner battler to a silly old man.
    Describing someone as a monster should be reserved for Jihadi John or Jimmy Saville not a fat cat seller of cheap sandshoes who nips his workers for 6p an hour.

• 13 toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM

As for Villa tomorrow I hope we’re up for the game because they certainly will be..

• 14 toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Oops posted that twice.

• 15 JamesToon // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:01 PM

I’d go with quite an attacking team tomorrow try and kill the game off early:

Sissoko/de Jong/Colback/Wijnaldum

• 16 JamesToon // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:02 PM

I think de Jong could be a decent player as a deep lying playmaker, give us a bit of creativity from deep

• 17 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:02 PM

toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 5:53 P
    what about then putting colo on the bench? He has changed the outcomes of many games.

• 18 Toon-Prodigy // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Going to be really difficult to keep a hold of this lad. Anything past the summer is a bonus. Gem of a player

• 19 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:07 PM

If Chas and Dave met Mr Tuff

I’m afraid he’d underpin all their beliefs about

Norven Mahhhnnnkeeeyyys

• 20 toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:10 PM

You’ve got a good point there mate, Colo could be our key to success if only used in the correct manner. !!!!!!!

• 21 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:15 PM

The Guardians Teams

• 22 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Jeff @ 12- if that’s your reply, I assume you are a denizen of local politics because none of that was relevant or informative.

The whole question was about whether you acknowledge or deny that successful pressure can be traced as having it’s roots in protest from the organised ‘ordinary’ man. I believe it’s self evident of course, but your clear answer would confirm if you are a realist or prefer to denigrate such efforts.

• 23 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:17 PM

As for calling anyone a monster, who was that?

• 24 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:21 PM

The thing is Garde was a class defender so must be aware of our weaknesses .
    If I were him I’d swallow my pride and play a long ball game and back Gestede against our back four.

• 25 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Dennis Skinner MP for Bolsover (where Shirebrook is )

• 26 lesh // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:34 PM

It’s worrying that Perez refers to him having two more years at SJP – no stated desire to be with us beyond that. In saying that, given the way the Club’s being run at the moment, it’s no surprise.

Repost from previous re Ashley and SD….

Sorry to disagree with your assertion that Ashley doesn’t care what the media say about his modus operandi.

Since the Grauniad exposed the conditions at the Shirebrook gulag, he’s to preside over an internal review of the conditions imposed on agency employed employees. He’s distanced himself and SD from criticism. He can’t though deny that warehouse employees are hounded to work harder.

I think that he’ll deign that conditions be improved and employee searches’ll become part of the working day.

Ashley’s image is under scrutiny and rather than risk more public outcry from the fans of NUFC, I’ve a feeling that he’ll put money up to spend on quality Prem-experienced players and change his parsimonious attitude towards his running of the Club.

We’ll have to wait and see if Ashley changes his ways but, strange things happen.

• 27 toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:41 PM

We’re the most unpredictable side in the premier league, so there is no way anyone could predict the score against Villa.
    One thing for sure they’ll look at us and class us as a winnable game.
    Let’s hope we give our all.

• 28 lesh // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM

You’re right about Ed and other parts if the meeja speculating about Perez’s future being elsewhere.

I’d rather the local press and blogs take the positive line and thus let Perez know how much he’s wanted at SJP and any move away would not go down well.

Ed, you’re adding fuel to the fire by talking up the possibility that young stars will be sold. Please take a more positive line in that regard.

• 29 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:50 PM

That’s all a blog is for —- differing views.
    Ashley is only 51 —- not too late for the leopard to change his spots — my kids keep me right he has 3

• 30 Robby Bobson // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Alot is made about how poor villa are, but to be honest, I think the game tomorrow depends how ambitious of a team Garde puts out…i think its his to lose.

The games we’ve been the worst in the season, Leicester, Palace, Watford, have all been against teams had two up top (or one proper target man), pacey wingers or both.

How we couldnt handle Deeney and Ighalo, or Zaha and Bolasie…

Villa have the potential for all of these things, i would dread a team of Gestede on Colocinni with Sinclair floating, with Adama Traoure on Dummett. For me, if Garde has done his homework, he will be thinking attack attack attack.

Spurs and Liverpool dont play this direct way, and we won those 2 games.

On the other hand, we need to absolutely smother them in 20 minutes, with Mitro and Ayoze up front and hopefully get an early goal.

• 31 SPRINGY // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:56 PM

evening all
    i find myself unsure of which side to start against villa….mitro and perez changed the game at spurs but we’ve won 2 games with SDJ and cisse starting……???
    SDJ gives us something..a presence of intelligence and would like to see him get more games to get him to his absolute best then see what he’s about…but mitro and perez have there own presence,that won us the game at spurs….cisse…..thought he was back to looking his best against liverpool but thought at spurs he was woeful…..but him and SDJ have started the last 2 games..and we won????… heed is battered!!lol

• 32 toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Perez will be probably sold in the summer, regardless if we stay up or not. I can’t see him going this January, we need him.
    But there’s a regime at the club so Mash will cash him in rather than get the best years from him.

• 33 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM

it’s a fairly well-known motivational poster slogan, but I’m sure that not many are aware that it was first pinned up in Shirebrook by SD –

“The beatings will continue until morale improves”

A real crowd pleaser.

• 34 nightfa11 // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:03 PM

id love to see that ;D

• 35 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I think SM has more problems than Garde.
    If we defend with too high a line Gabby Agbonlahore will slaughter us if we sit back Gestede and Sinclair will make hay , I’m scaring meself to death here !!!!! 😕

• 36 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:06 PM

I think the tenor of the January window will go a long way towards keeping or releasing our more talented…am…purples…ahem..

If Ashley opens the coffers and makes some show of intent, and IF we subsequently start to shape up as a strong contending outfit under the SM regimen, perhaps our gold chip players will consider this as a promising ‘project’. But if it’s business as usual, with all the usual hot air and filibustering, start waving…

• 37 SPRINGY // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:07 PM

oh cheers!!….thought you’d scare me as well then!!….cheers for that!lol

• 38 loonie-toon // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:09 PM

If we’re 18th richest club in Europe we shunt have to sell r top players I.e Perez we should pull all stops out to keep here spesh when he loves it here

• 39 SPRINGY // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:09 PM

your right tho jib i said on here the other day i thought they were the 2 biggest problems

• 40 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Nightfa11 I called that one ha ha I just knew some loon would pipe up with that comedy gift! Tony Cascara certainly appreciates the cathartic effect a man like King Percy could have on a team like Chelsea. Delusional. Pardew ‘ handle’ abramovic? Ha ha and again Ha! I think the only thing he’d bring to the Chelsea boardroom table is his infamous ability to bend over and drop ’em 🙂

• 41 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Funny looking back that some of the collective punts last season included wishful thinking that we could possibly, maybe get Lescott, Richards….

• 42 toon kk // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM

We need pace with any new signings, but our poor scouting will no doubt over look our weaknesses again.

• 43 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Just having a sniff through the Italian and French media without posting links which seems to upset folk.
    Riviere and Gouffran are both back to France in the January window.
    Also we have enquired about Loic Remy on loan until June ( the old chestnut about needing game time for the Euros in summer) however that may change with Hiddink being favourite to take the reins at Stamford Bridge.
    Remy makes sense actually – he’s on £5million a year at Chelsea if we sell Cissé to the Turks his fee would pay Loic for 6 months.

• 44 jane // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Sammy gets a start on the right wing for Cardiff in the live match at Birmingham tonight starting now.

• 45 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Next time put Sky Sports 1 please !!!

• 46 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Do Birmingham have just 27 fans ?

• 47 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:52 PM

More Stewards than supporters FFS

• 48 Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Wow. Just wow.

I especially like the bit where he inherited the underperforming squad and SAVED the club from relegation.

Nearly pissed my keks.

Do not read if blood pressure and or dislike for complete and utter bollox is your pet hate.

John Carver linkedin profile (Highlights)

I am a forward thinking football manager, highly skilled coach and focused leader with over 30 years experience’ in the game. I have managed or coached in 675 professional games in English and European competition, learning under exceptional managers such as Sir Bobby Robson and gaining direct experience in the field as the First Team Manager / Head Coach of Newcastle United FC and Toronto FC.

I am able to provide tangible contributions to an ambitious club in either a managerial capacity or a more supporting role, where my commitment to continuous player development, strategic team building, intelligent talent ID and innovative sports science & performance analysis can allow me to be a driving force behind club progression.

Newcastle United FC

First Team Manager

Newcastle United FC

2014 – 2015 (1 year)

I was appointed Caretaker Manager and then First Team Manager following the departure of Alan Pardew to Crystal Palace, inheriting an underperforming squad that had lost 4 of its last 7 games. The club was also experiencing a well-publicised and still ongoing period of turbulence involving the current ownership that saw fans frequently protesting at St James’ Park.

Within this difficult environment I was able to secure the club’s Premier League status with a 2-0 win over West Ham United on the last day of the season, finishing 15th in the league and ahead of local rivals Sunderland.

Newcastle United FC

Assistant Manager

Newcastle United FC

2011 – 2015 (4 years)

I returned to Newcastle in January 2011 under new First Team Manager Alan Pardew to help stabilise the club in the middle of an inconsistent season. Notable achievements include:

Finishing the 2011/12 season in 5th place ahead of Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool
    Qualifying for the UEFA Europa League
    Recording notable victories over Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool
    Reaching the UEFA Europa League quarter-finals in 2012 to face eventual runners-up SL Benfica
    Helping the club reach the League Cup quarter-finals in 2014/15 against Tottenham Hotspur

Youth Development

Microsoft Word

Public Speaking

Social Media

– See more at:

• 49 AncientC // Dec 18, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Robby Bobson // Dec 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM

“Alot is made about how poor villa are, but to be honest, I think the game tomorrow depends how ambitious of a team Garde puts out…i think its his to lose”

Villa have not beaten us in the last 8 fixtures and have only beaten us once since being promoted back to the Premier League, that win only came via a serious injury problem to our squad that day – we beat them 6-0 on our home ground that very season.

We have had Aston Villa’s card marked since the ‘Sob on Tyne’ bed sheet.

• 50 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Sami Ameobi / Kenwynne Jones combination OMG

• 51 Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Ancient C

Garde may have an axe to grind regarding us and add to that they haven’t won yet under his tenure then I think we need to be careful tbh.

Play like we did against Liverpool and spuds then we’ll smash em but take it for granted and revert back to one of Watford, Leicester or palace and we’d deserve what we get.

Fat slug out.

• 52 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM

I’m especially impressed that not only is he skilled in the use of Excel, word and PP, he’s also handy with MS Office……. oh, wait…

You would think he’d be a dab hand with Access, having to keep an extensive injury database.

• 53 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM

The parallel universe of Johnny C. Good title for a film I think.

John Carver of Mars? Or some other planet?

• 54 Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 9:02 PM

The adventures of Johnny and jeff.

Sounds likefun….

• 55 AncientC // Dec 18, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Average contents, the rumour is that Garde turned us down. Here is hoping that tomorrow he will live to regret it… and we don’t.

• 56 Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Jeff and Johnny..

• 57 Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 9:07 PM

The adventures of Jeffs Johnny..

I’ll stop now.

Ancient C

Aye, they apparently only wanted him until the summer so couldn’t really blame him. Confidence booster or what.

Off to bed. Finished work until the 4th January and it’s much needed.

Just done near 3 months on the bounce, weekends aswell. I’m shattered.

• 58 Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Christmas shopping tomorrow too. Yay.

Might accidently on purpose get blown into a pub showing sky sports 1.

Fancy a drink love?

Gerrin 😉

• 59 jimmysmith // Dec 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM

I hope we continue to start De Jong, possibly behind Mitro. Perez is very good, but I think we’ve looked a sturdier proposition in recent weeks coinciding with De Jong’s and Cisse’s inclusion in the starting 11.

Cisse has the greater goal threat, but Mitro appears to offer more to the team, so either or, but De Jong and Cisse have been working on an understanding and we’ve certainly benefited from having more experience on the park from the off, rather than the bench.

previous post: McClaren Selection Could Cause Controversy Against Villa