The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Surprising Statement From Newcastle Star

9:55 am, Friday, December 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

Moussa Sissoko has come in for some serious criticism this season because at times in some games when the going gets tough he doesn’t seem to want to know.

That criticism has been justified.

But on the other positive side of things when this man is in form he’s a great player for us as he has shown in the last two games when he has provided the assists for some of our very important goals and all 6 points.

moussa sissoko gini wijnaldum tootenham 2-1

Gini Wijnaldum jumps on Moussa Sissoko last Sunday
It was after Ayoze Perez’ winning goal – he’s stuck in the middle

The Frenchman also says too many times in the French press that he wants to leave Newcastle for a bigger club and play in the Champions League.

So it is with this background in mind that here’s what Moussa has told the Chronicle today and it’s very surprising to us because it is so positive form the 26 year-old:

“We’re all focused on this game – that’s the players and the fans.” “Aston Villa are bottom of the Premier League but it will still be a fantastic result for us if we win.” (agree with that)

“We savored the win against Tottenham but now it is now about Aston Villa.”

“We have trained well and we are ready for Saturday.” “From the beginning our fans were behind us at Tottenham. The result wasn’t going for us but they stayed with us.”

“After a great win we celebrated with them. I say thank you to all of them. I hope they will be with us for the whole season – we want to give them another win against Aston Villa.”

“I am very happy and proud of the team. We have played well in the last two games.”

“Maybe the first half against Spurs wasn’t too good because we didn’t play our best football. At half-time we said we could still get back into the game with confidence and belief.”

“We must believe in ourselves. We have shown character and spirit in the second half. It was a great win for us. Against Aston Villa we must show the same type of display again.”

“When the strikers have confidence it can only be better for the team. Ayo and Mitro now have their goals. They came on and helped us win the game.”

“We’re happy for them and the team, Now we must keep going.” “After the great win against Liverpool we beat Spurs, now we must follow up again.”

“Aston Villa will be a tough game but if we play like we did at Spurs, we can get three points.”

We suppose that Newcastle “consultant” Steve Black is starting to have some impact on the attitudes of the Newcastle players and certainly over the last two games we haven’t seen any heads drop in the Newcastle side.

It’s quite amazing that Newcastle have turned things around against Liverpool and Spurs in the last two games – we expected two defeats in those games and thought we could be in big trouble by now.

But we were wrong on that big time.

Now our players need to win tomorrow’s game – and it’s a situation where we should win – so in that sense it’s another test for the team.

Here’s hoping we can get our third win on the trot and drink some Christmas cheer in celebration tomorrow night.

🙂

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Aston Villa?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · European Champions League · Interview · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Other News

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Well Moussa, if you back up those words with 90 minutes of actual football instead of just one or two bursts forward, I will believe you.

Basically Moussa…..Prove it!

• 2 Krido5 // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Come on lads:) It would be lush to win three in a row!

• 3 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Geet lush in fact

• 4 Lindisfarne // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Villa plan:
    1. Win individual battles.
    2. Pass with purpose and pace.
    3. Get in behind their defenders.
    4. Do not get out numbered at the back.
    5. Two goals as soon as possible will knock them back.

• 5 BeeGuy // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM

If he can demonstrate his talent, this would be a good game to get Thauvin in. NUFC should have the ball more, and he is one who should help keep it on Magpie feet. Can’t say he has shown the talent, but I think that is what he is here for.
    I think Sissiko would score more if he were in the middle and were getting the passes Thauvin is supposed to deliver.

• 6 hibbitt // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM

talk is cheap

• 7 firebug666 // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM

hibbitt

Not at Newcastle it’s not, you have to pay for the privilege.

😀

• 8 Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Out of the bottom 8 only Norwich and Swansea play higher teams
    An away draw for the Mackems at a Mourinho-less Chelsea would be a good result for us , as would Bournemouth getting a draw away to West Brom.

Norwich should lose to Man U at OT.

Swansea play West Ham in Wales on Sunday teatime and may have a new manager then ,
    probs another draw.

If we don’t cock this up it’s a good opportunity to pull clear of the bottom lot and join the mid table boys.

• 9 catchy in norway // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:07 AM

I have to say I had confidence in our squad and the coaching team that has been assembled by Shteve. I also believed we do have a good squad that of course could be strengthened in positions.

The biggest challenge / obstacle that Shteve faced was the negative mindset that was in our club from top to bottom, the mindset about the football club in general, from pundits and fans alike, it is very easy for people to get stuck only focusing on the things we do bad ( which is easy as the club was being run badly at every level).

I think the biggest thing Shteve has brought to the club is honesty, I don’t know about most people but me, but I am more likely to follow someone who I believe to be truthful than someone who is not, and I’m pretty sure the players will more likely do the same.

In the last few years our club has not been about winning games it’s only thought is not lose and there is a huge difference between the 2 mentalities, I have seen us defend 1 goal lead for 70mins against teams at the bottom of the league and with no form, this is not for anyone fans and players alike as one feeds of the other, and I’m pretty sure if P45 had still been here we would be at the bottom of the division right now, saying thing like I play on the front football, our luck will change soon, he thinks he is being positive but in reality he is only pushing blame elsewhere.

What I have liked about Shteve so far is the honesty like I said but what he is saying we can actually see the evidence on the pitch, he says the only way to fix this is on the training ground. I like that he put the blame on the players when he did, his honestly left no place for players to hide , where as before the players could always hide behind some poor excuses, players being hung out to dry , the press are against us, the fans make it difficult,

I know some fans still think the sun shines out of P45’s rear end, but I put this down to stupidity or pride, I read things like I don’t see any difference in us, yet I have see more team goals in this poor start to the season then I have in all of the time P45 was in charge of us, I think it’s quite ironic that the best football I’ve seen a P45 team play was against us and if he had of set us up a bit more like that he would have had more fans.

I 100% think we will finish above Palace simply based on the fact we play football for 90+ mins and belief is coming back into the fans and players and we actually try and score from open play, palace still just try to keep it tight and Nick a goal.

Anyway I’m proud of my club again.

• 10 AncientC // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Catchy, if you like McClaren so much, why do you keep mocking his Dutch accent and referring to him as “shteve.”

• 11 catchy in norway // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I think if the guy had a sense of humour, he would see the funny side of it.
    I rate Barton , and I think his French accent was great too.

And just because I make a little fun about him should not be confused with how I rate him as a man and how I think he is doing at the job.

• 12 AncientC // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Ah, Okay, fair enough. Just seems like an eon ago.

• 13 catchy in norway // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:31 AM

What does ?

• 14 ganiyu // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM

I sometimes wonder how a player like sissoko starts ahead of thauvin on the right wing????

• 15 AncientC // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Catchy, read my comment at 10. That should give you an indication as to what was being mentioned at 12.

• 16 jimmysmith // Dec 18, 2015 at 11:51 AM

“I think it’s quite ironic that the best football I’ve seen a P45 team play was against us and if he had of set us up a bit more like that he would have had more fans.”

How much of Palace have you watched this season? They’ve been terrific entertainment all year, despite being a relatively small club. And could he have set Newcastle up the same way, or did he lack the players? Why wouldn’t he have done just that, if he could have?

C’mon, two big wins doesn’t gloss over the fact we’ve had a terrible season so far. It’s literally come down to purely about staying in the league, and not messing up the Jan window, and it’s mid December.

Pardew backed with the players he wanted, the players he needed, would have been an entirely different proposition. Quite clearly.

Good luck to Steve McC, because under this owner, and this managing director, and this chief scout, it’s still quite likely he’s going to need it, if history is any sort of reliable rule of thumb.

• 17 AncientC // Dec 18, 2015 at 12:08 PM

jimmysmith, so it is fair to say that Pardew isn’t responsible for the season we came 5th, because it wasn’t his players that propelled the club to that position?

I would agree on Pardew, he did not have his own players, and in my opinion, I am glad he was not given them. We needed a manager that fits flair players, not workhorse players that fit a mediocre manager going nowhere but survival every season.

• 18 jimmysmith // Dec 18, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Different seasons, different circumstances. We did well with injuries that year as I recall, but Obertan was a regular, and so was Benny, and Simpson, and Taylor. He needed a couple of high quality fast breaking wingers even then. Most would agree we over achieved.

• 19 John Tudor // Dec 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM

I have always been proud of nufc as my club.

What i am not proud of is,

its owner and the incompetent people he employs to raise his kudos and his bank balance.

End of.

• 20 catchy in norway // Dec 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Jimmy,

iv seen them 2 times this season,, vs us and the game v norwich, i have seen the results of the games and and looked at stats, and the only thing i can say is he played well against us, everything else leads to the same conclusion, luck and individual skill that gets him the points, the Norwich game is a classic example , Norwich battered Palace, but lost 3-1 the ref was on Palaces side that day, as for other results, the ststs say exactly the same, no bodies in the box, forward isolated and 2 good wingers,, but lets examine that a little bit, 2 good wingers, and pardew had freedom to go and buy any CF he liked in the summer, and the best he could do was Wickham?, lets add another twist to this, wickham has Cabaye behind him, and 2 great wingers who i would love at my club and the best CF around was Wickham, hmmmm

now look at the stats for there goals, more goals from set plays than open play,

goals in the 6 yard box in% Palace 8% Nufc 5%
    goals in the 18Yard box in % Palace 48 % Nufc 62% (joint top with saints and ARS)
    goals outside the box Palace 44% 8th highest with all the teams expected to struggle, except spurs
    Nufc 34% 3rd bottom of this table with Ars and Saints below them but the teams around them are all teams looking like they will finish top ten,

palace are in the lucky stage of the P45 experiment and based on the stats that he has from most of his clubs, things will go wrong soon enough for him

• 21 catchy in norway // Dec 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM

jimmy

a good manager plays to his players strengths, gus poyet smashed us with both Brighton and Sunderland many times with inferior players.

No excuses,

• 22 Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Awake, arise, or be forever fall’n.

Slug out!

• 23 Rotonda heights // Dec 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Jimmysmith

If pardew’s beef was just with us how come he had demos against him at charlton, west ham and nufc about the god awful to watch football.

3 different clubs where he opted not to play like he did initially at Reading and now with CP.

When he nearly relegated WHU the guy had worldies like tevez and mascherano !!!

AP had 2 good spells here, nearly 2 years apart playing 433 for 6 games each, but generally for example when we were coasting in a home game against bottom club reading who had the worst defensive record in all 4 divisions AP subbed an attacker for an extra defensive midfielder and all initiative went, with us losing a home banker.

I always said if If AP ever lost the fear he could become successful. Maybe he finally has. He’ll still always be a thoroughly despicable arrrogant, egotistical, narcissistic smug —– though. A poor man’s Mourinho.

• 24 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM

——————–Billy——————-
    Janmat———dummet—–mebemba—–mbabu
    ——————-colback—————–
    ————-sisoko—-SDJ————wini
    ———————-perez————
    ———————-mitro——————-

• 25 cyprus // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Think it will be a hard fought, even ugly, draw.

• 26 firebug666 // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:27 PM

cyprus

I agree it will be a hard game, and maybe ugly, but I’m still confident of a 2-0 win.

Hopefully we get at them from the first whistle, because for 90+ minutes they are going to be trying to salvage their season, and this is a must win game for them.

• 27 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM

i would also go with

——————–Billy——————-
    Janmat———dummet—–mebemba—–mbabu
    —————colback——-sisoko—————–
    ——wini——————–———thauvan
    ———————-perez————
    ———————-mitro——————-

but mac will never drop colo or anta though.

• 28 beermonkey // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM

afternoon peeps

another pards debate then

for me I wanted pards gone for a few reasons but the main one was the club was never going to change and with pards still with 4 years left on his deal nothing was ever going to change

have things changed at the club
    well I am not so sure but time will tell I think jan might give us an idea

toughy coming up against villa players have no excuse for a poor performance,

• 29 cyprus // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Fire,
    Agreed with your second paragraph. They are playing for their lives…

I’ve watched them and they aren’t as bad as people make them to be. I’ve seen us play worse 🙂 And their coach is bound to get something out of them sometime. We’re not out of it. this is still a 6 pointer. We win, it’s all nut a knock out blow. We lose, they hope.

• 30 beermonkey // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:47 PM

firebug

I think its a must win game for us

no point in beating spuds and fool if we are going to lose to the teams around us we will soon be in bottom 3
    although I agree if they lose I think they will go down

• 31 cyprus // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM

nut=but

• 32 barkel // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM

@27

Dummett at CB why? Because he played well in the two or three senior games he played there? And Mbabu has always been played RB until we were so stuck we thought what’s the worst that can happen.

Falls into the Pardew debate and square pegs/round holes. In the last two games Colo and Anita have both played well.

• 33 cyprus // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Ed,
    you put that guy’s job description in quotes, probably rightly. You’re not sure what he does. Hope the players and Steve know, but especially he does.

Jack of all trades master …….

If he introduced the huddle of late, bravo. ‘Huddler’ and ‘consultant’…

• 34 Mag52 // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM

I’m thinking that somewhere in the land of the fjords, there’s a very lucky bookmaker who will be welcoming Catchy into his establishment one of these fine days if the Catchy man ever decides to put his money where his mouth is on NUFC finishing above Palace this season.
    Enthused as I am at our recent two wins, I’m afraid it ain’t going to happen Catchy.

• 35 cyprus // Dec 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Can we try to forget about him – both sides? Come on man.

• 36 firebug666 // Dec 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Cyprus / Beermonkey

Maybe I should have phrased that a bit better then 🙂

Looking at our positions in the table they need it more, and will give everything they have to try and steal it from us, We also need it, but we need to want it more.

We have to look at stopping them from getting their game going, press them hard all over the pitch, and never let the gain an ounce of confidence.

2 – 0 Toon

• 37 Mister Tuff // Dec 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Thinks it’s going to be at least a 2 -0 victory tomorrow. I think a third victory in a row will alleviate some of the pessism and suggest our last two wins were not a “flash in the pan”.
    Continuing to pick up points should make for potentially a better window next months where I expect at least 20 million being spent.

I’m surprised the pro King Percy bunch have not been on suggesting the King for the vacancy at Chelsea. But they all seam to have gone a bit quiet. Have they lost confidence in their cheeky Cockney chappie- or do they really know he’s a bit of a tool but don’t want to admit it.

• 38 Mister Tuff // Dec 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Scoofers of eel pie………………………………..OOT
    Chas n’ Dave fans………………………………….OOT
    Mr Tubbs…………………………………………….OOT
    Ian Toons poncey posts………………………….OOT
    Jibs gaffe strewn posts……………………………OOT
    Cwmbran clots……………………………………..OOT.

• 39 dok - the horrid colonial // Dec 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Sir Tuff…… INNNNNNN
    🙂

• 40 beermonkey // Dec 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM

tuffers

nothing wrong with chas and dave

• 41 Tsunki // Dec 18, 2015 at 3:59 PM

How endearing to see the object of someone’s undying affection being steadfastly defended, and the very idea that bad publicity has any effect on the revered personage of the adorable Mr Michael Ashley being roundly eschewed. I noticed this exchange earlier –

?Average_Contents // Dec 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Who said he’s impervious to pressure? He is a law unto himself but obviously there’s been that much bad publicity and no doubt pressure applied by other shareholders that they’ve had to react.?

Jib // Dec 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM

I think Ashley is more responsive to the City , than unions and lefty newspapers. ?

So, Ray/Jeff/etc., I wonder if you could wipe away the clouds on this particular query, namely, who is it, if not Unions and ‘lefty’ newspapers, that brings the highlighted misdemeanours of SD and it’s Supremo to the attention of the ‘ City’? Perhaps you know of a whistle-blower scheme that Mike has installed, or some other charitable concern for his workers welfare that he has set up? We’re all ears.
    ?