Newcastle Forward Still Deserves Chance Against Everton

It’s basically the story if the game on Saturday with Newcastle ahead 1-0 through a first half goal from Fab Coloccini, Siem de Jong was brilliantly set up in the second half by Gini Wijnaldum who crossed the ball and all Siem had to do was head the ball in at the near post – but he missed the chance and headed the ball wide.

It was a bad miss and then a couple of minutes later Aston Villa were level through a wonder goal from Jordan Ayew – the younger brother of Swansea’s Andre.

siem de jong aston villa 1-1 storm

Siem de Jong – soaked to the skin on Saturday

After the game Siem immediately took responsibility for the miss and tweeted out this message to the fans.

And after the game Siem talked to the local press at length about this miss that changed the game.

“It was an important moment.” “I tried to head it into the short corner, but I hit it 5 cm too far. I was trying to place it, because I saw the keeper at the far post and so I wanted to head it short, but it slipped off my head.”

“Of course, I wanted to score it. Unfortunately, I didn’t. I went off after that, but we had two other chances to win it.”

“It’s not so much that I need a goal, it’s just that I want to take the chances that I get.”  “In the first half, I played all right with some through balls, but the way we played made it difficult for me to get on the ball as much as I wanted.”

“I think the balls that I got were all right, but I wanted to take my chances.” “Obviously it’s tough for me,”  “These are my first few games in the Premier League.”

“I’d only started one game before this run and it’s still something I’m getting used to. I’m doing what I can to help the team.”

“I’m enjoying it. I’m happy to be on the pitch. I want to help the team as much as I can, and I could have scored for 2-0, and I’m frustrated about not scoring.”

“But I’m happy to be back and playing. This was a tough game on a tough pitch, and I had a little bit of a cold so I couldn’t play longer. Hopefully, I can get 90 minutes in the coming weeks.”

“The last three games up top we’ve changed it a bit and we’ve tried to press more. We talk to each other more about what we are doing and I think that’s working quite well.”

“I think you see that in the last three games, it wasn’t our best performance, but I think in the first half we made it impossible for Villa to play.” “They had to kick it long and we won a lot of balls.”

“The second half they changed it and put on the big striker, and they scored for 1-1. After that, we came back into it and had chances.”

“I feel we are making steps,” “Even against Villa, when it was not our best performance, we got a draw..”

“We had a couple of games when our performance dropped too much, but everyone knows that in the team,  and in the last three games we have been at a much better level.”

.”Of course you’re going to lose sometimes, but we have got to fight and make opponents work very hard if they’re going to get a win.”

“That’s what we’re trying to do at the moment, and hope that we can continue that and get some more points.”

After the miss Siem was immediately hooked by Steve McClaren and replaced by Ayoze Perez but the crowd still gave Siem some warm applause.

Siem is well liked by the fans after all his trials and tribulations last season with a number of injuries as well as that collapsed lung.

Siem can still make it at Newcastle and he needs playing time and we believe he will start again on Saturday and partner Aleksandar Mitrovic up front at home to Everton.

Papiss Cisse is out injured and we’ll see Ayoze Perez at some point in the second half.

Everton are a much better team than Aston Villa so who knows – we’ll probably win this one.

🙂

• Reyantoon

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:03 AM

I will drop him 🙁
    And will play wijnaldum in the num 10 and Thauvin on the left..

I think Davide Santon’s sell was due to issues with his knee.Feared that he may not give long standing service.I want him back if that is not the case though.I don’t think he’ll do much worse than Haidara and Dummett,isn’t he?

• lochinvar

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM

BBC Report ( but fails to mention the stench in the air ) :
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter and Uefa boss Michel Platini have been suspended for eight years from all football-related activities following an ethics investigation.
    They were found guilty of breaches surrounding a £1.3m ($2m) “disloyal payment” made to Platini in 2011.
    Both men denied any wrongdoing. The bans come into force immediately.
    Blatter has also been fined 50,000 Swiss francs (£33,700) and Platini 80,000 Swiss francs (£54,000),

A Fine of £54,000 against an illegally received payment of £1.3million seems a bit harsh really ?
    And Blatter walks away with a £33,700 fine and what else accrued over the years ?

That lot make business practice at Sports Direct seem positively philanthropic.

• Reyantoon

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM

BBC & The Guardian are trustable sources,so is The Mirror , I reckon..
    Perhaps Platini & Blatter should get back to drawing the ball for upcoming competitions 🙂

• Jib

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Qatar will probably stripped of the 2022 world cup but what about Russia in 2018 ?

• lesh

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Reyan

I seem to remember that Santon went out on loan with a fee agreed subject to games.

Had he not gone in January, Charnley wouldn’t have been able to get a fee.

Greed!

• Reyantoon

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM

lesh… Charnley is not greedy.He forked out 14m for that Dutch sensation 🙂

• lesh

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Reyan

Only because he saw a good return on the £14m when Gini’s sold. Sorry, if he’s sold.

Nah, when he’s sold

• lesh

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM

From previous blog when De Jong said that he didn’t get the ball as much as he would’ve liked because of the way we were playing.

So, why weren’t we playing to take advantage of all players’ strengths? Have I missed something?

• dannitoon

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM

SDJ will turn out top class for us… needs to be given time… he was Dutch football’s golden ball the years b4 we baught him… showed his skills against city in champions league….be poor decision to das boot him

• Jib

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM

By gum
    Batter has some cojones
    His presser on SSN live now

• lesh

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Danni

Yes, de Jong could come good over time but can we afford to be giving him that time.

Ffs, just look at Manure. They bring in that kid Martial and he’s hit the ground running, staight in, playing AND scoring.

Maybe they’re more sure of the talents and contribution targets can make before spending.

Our buys seem more risky but we know why – because they’re cheap!

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM

If they’ve found Blatter and Platini guilty, why aren’t they going after the Qataris? The whole world knows they used bribes to get the World Cup.

And when you look at the front runners to take over from Blatter it is two Sheiks. The middle east has nothing to do with football, except ruining it with bribes and by taking over teams like PSG an Man City and buying them the league. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Qatari’s had bribed referees in that season Man City won the league. They had tonnes of ridiculous decisions go their way in vital moments. and if they can bribe top officials then why not a modestly paid ref?

• lesh

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Jib

Blatter and Platini’ll get off fairly lightly – there’re too many cans of worms that could be opened.

And you’re being naive if you honesty expect Qatar to be stripped of hosting the World Cup – they and the other Arab states with major investments in top-level world football could cripple the game if they chose to.

Money talks and the more money involved, the louder the voice.

• Jib

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM

The next Mike Williamson

I think having the best squad by miles helped Man City a tad.

• lesh

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM

The ethics committee hasn’t judged on the allocation of the WC – this investigation was concerned with the back-hander, sorry, late fee payment paid by Blatter to Platini.

They’ll go nowhere near the WC bidding process – that’s far too political with major financial implications.

• NoahJ

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM

I have a lot of time for De Jong- he’s clever, in fact I think he was our most creative player on Saturday… but he’s slow.

Therefore, I would like to see him deployed more in a playmaker Carrick role alongside Colback in place of Anita- that way he can control the game without having to run. Play Wiji in the no10 behind Mitro.

I also think it’s time to give Thauvin a chance starting again- I know he’s not yet good enough, but leaving him on the bench will do nothing but drop his value and confidence. He looked ok when he came on against villa

• Sack Llambias

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Hail wor Ashley is an upgrade on Jail.

Jail
    Aye,sure, I’d leik to help yee oot, what way did yee come in?

• SPRINGY

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM

morning all
    never really rated santon as a left back,decent player but always thought he’d of made a cracking right back rather then a left back but never tried except against wigan when haidara was assaulted their little winger(mc something or other)…where santon he actually scored,dummet trys just lacks pace and quality to get up and down the pitch like a good full back does….defensively he’s ok,also would like to see mbabu givin games at cb if we can either get a few goals of a team or reach the magic 40 point mark,he could save us a fortune as the quality cb we want,not saying he’s the one to sort it out but most would agree he has qualities we’d all like to see more of on the pitch….i would’nt bother with a striker in january unless cisse or and rivierre leave but even then i would’nt spend excessive money on austin when he’ll be free in a few month.
    i think there’ll be 3 signings in jan…..willems(if fit)…a cb….and a cm…..cant see him going after a left winger when thauvin and aarons are there….this is on the bases that no one leaves

• SPRINGY

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM

a few goals ahead of a team or reach the magic 40 point mark#

• Jib

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM

It looks like Jonas is leaving Depor for Cerro Porteño in Asuncion , Paraguay.
    Lucky booger
    Asuncion is lovely and the climate is brill it’s about 37c there at the mo’

• Roosta

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM

SDJ, talk about being slow to get in to the pace of the prem league, something is still not right with him, had a full pre season, oh and get that central midfield position sorted, Colback n Anita like a couple of academy players in stature, neat and tidy, but to much comes through the middle in our games, not good enough neither is milk float Tiote.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Jail for Blatter ! and Ashley !

• Sack Llambias

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Jail

• cyprus

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I’ve been critical of SDJ but no complaints about that BIG miss. It does happen. Mitro should have scored too and on another day we would’ve buried them.

The rain-god conspired against us in that game. I had been wondering how they would get in the game, the rain evened out the teams.

On Naismith, hard working with some skill, can score, he’d be a good addition.

On Elliott, well congrats. I saw him do lots of the talking in that newly introduced huddle (thanks for reading me Steve).

On the team: 7 out of 9 points can’t be bad. Everton, now that’s a hard game. PS. Steve, their FB’s are not what they were. There’s your point of attack.

• Wayayman

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:44 AM

It just shows you that there are those football fans who watch a game and only see the eye catching stuff or the glaring mistakes, and then there are those who watch the same game and see the work off the ball and the subtle touches that allow others to shine.
    Take Anita and SDJ, both of them get players off some on here but in reality they’ve been our better players when they’ve been on the pitch

Anita is exceptional at harassing the opponent, he breaks up play and is responsible for a lot of turn over in play which allows others to get the ball moving offensively.
    SDJ has a superb first touch and drifts into the space between, linking up midfield and attack brilliantly. If only Macca would play someone with his intelligence in front of him we could have a fantastic partnership. Cisse is a headless chicken with a woeful touch and zero football brain, Perez and SDJ could be an amazing double act if they get the chance. I’d consider dropping either sissoko or wijnaldum to fit Mitro, Perez and SDJ in the team together especially at home.

Both wijnaldum and sissoko go missing for large parts of the game and sissoko offers so little in terms of the team defensively. A midfielder who fancies himself as a central player should be fearsome in the tackle but he tackles like a schoolgirl. Wijnaldum’s form over the last two games has been poor, maybe he needs to be taken out of the team for a week or two?

• cyprus

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:50 AM

You’re stretching it a bit there, being unfair. Criticising the players who have been gaining us points through the years but waxing lyrical about a player who has been a huge disappointment so far.

I’m definitely willing to give him a chance, given his injuries and past reputation, however. Even though he’s not exactly taken the PL by storm.

• Jib

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Sack Llambias

Have you got copywrite on this ?

“Jail
    I’d leik tae see things from yor point of view, man, but ah canna seem to get me heed tha far up me arse.”

Could I use it please ?
    Ha ha ha

• JamesToon

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Juan Iturbe finalising a loan move to Watford. Have to say that’s a very good signing for them.

RE de Jong, I have to agree with him, although i think it was mostly due to the pitch conditions, we didn’t get the ball on the deck enough. Want mcclaren/Cathro to go back to the possession based attacking philosophy now that the team have a bit of confidence, start playing out from the back more

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I would like to see De Jong move a little further back so he is in the midfield when he receives the ball so he can pick out runners would like to see him and Perez play together from the start as Cisse makes no attempt to get in behind

Would like to see Thauvin get in on the left as well as it stretches the pitch for us

Mclaren still has a bit of Pardew syndrome playing people out of position like Wijnaldum

• Toon-Prodigy

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:09 PM

By the time De Jong comes good his 5 yr brilliant contract will be up.

Not much sell on here Mike, which im sure you will keep to fill a number unless an Andy Carroll bid comes in.

Get them out and get bodies in! Experienced ones.

• Toonfan8

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:14 PM

maybee S.McClaren can try this team vs Everton:
    ………………….Elliot……………………..
    Janmaat,Mbemba,Collocini,Colback
    ………………….Anita………………………
    Sissoko,Wijnaldum,S.DeJong,Perez
    ………………….Mitrovic…………………
    …………………………………………………..
    I would try Colback at LB, he is better with ball then Dummett and also quicker, and defensively he is ok…I would definetely put Anita in CM position as I think he is our best player this season with Mbemba,Perez and Wijnaldum….I would try this dutch boys in the middle with their technique and intelligence and for me Perez has to play somewhere and he proved in this left winger/midfielder position that he is good enough…Sissoko has to play there, because he has some kind of form last matches as he prepared at least 2 big chances/match….

• Jib

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM

To have players who are capable OF and willing TO play out of position is a great boon for any coach.
    In our squad we have
    Perez
    Wijnaldum
    Sissoko
    Mbemba
    Mbabu
    Dummett
    Anita
    Colback
    Gouffran
    and maybe Thauvin
    all willing to shut up and get on with it !
    Wish some of our fans were as downbeat !

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Ibiza did the math last season and we are loosing money on transfers.

The concept of the only buying players with resell value is just a cover up for them to disguise they are clueless!

They simply don’t know what they are doing. Plenty of examples of that. The Santon deal is one of them. Riviere is another. They make it up as they go along.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Seem to remember playing Colback playing left back quite a lot for the Mackems? Would be worth a shot

Only wish De Jong had made it 2 nil as I think that would have been Villa down now they might try and battle for a few games as their next couple of fixtures are against teams around them !!

• nut meg

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM

BREAKING
    Pavel in hospital…suspected heart attack

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM

…and they rarely get it right!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM

@Jesper

Agreed ! The club are still dining out on the Carroll and Cabaye sales !!

Only have to look at Pozzo family and how they organise a couple of teams thats how you run a football business!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Give it up one last time for Jeff!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:34 PM

LCBP…it’s truely disgraceful that they can also run a football like Newcastle to the ground…

…they are not even learning from past mistakes! One fu€k up after another. And one screw up manager after another.