The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Can Newcastle Get Back To Winning Ways Against Everton?

7:46 am, Wednesday, December 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

We were hoping Newcastle could make it three wins in a row for the first time this year in  our last game against Aston Villa at home, but even after going ahead in the first half we couldn’t hold onto the lead against a side that had picked up only three draws and 3 points in its last 15 games – and the game ended at 1-1.

coloccini after scoring

Fab Coloccini after scoring in the monsoon last Saturday

That was a disappointment as Steve McClaren admitted yesterday in his press conference for the Boxing Day game at home to Everton.

So as usual – we’ll just have to wait and see which team turns up on Saturday to play against the Toffees, who have 23 points and are 6 points above us in 10th place in the league.

It would be good to close that gap to 3 points on Saturday in the 5:30 pm kick-off game.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Everton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Poll · Prediction · Premier League · Press Conference

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Yeah but did you know, Ashley Out!?

• 2 WWSBRD // Dec 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Have to be on top form to beat Everton and it’s rare we hit that. On a side note Everton reported to be for sale, £200 mill supposedly, how much is Ashley wanting for us again? £300 + mill?

• 3 sing in the corner // Dec 23, 2015 at 7:53 AM

I doubt it. I am unusually pessimistic for this one. Everton are not the type of team we prosper against. We will need to grapple with the formidable Lukaku and Colo won’t really match him in any department. I like Mbemba but see him more and more getting knocked about easily by the big forward type Everton have. would love to be wrong of course!

• 4 sing in the corner // Dec 23, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Saying that, Sissoko will probably turn up. He’ll be in front of the mirror now, making sure he looks good, checking out his profile cos we are on the telly.

• 5 Ron Knee // Dec 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Sissoko: ‘I’m over here, Mr Wenger!!!’

• 6 The overrated Frenchman // Dec 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Yeah, I’m never confident against Everton. They always seem to outmuscle us and just play a more determined brand of football. Powder puff Colo and co. in defence will be under the hammer you’d think. Have to say a loss for this one.

• 7 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:00 AM

Picture caption – ” Colo, man – move out of the way they’re trying to take my picture”

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:02 AM

I’m going to say a 2-1 loss mostly because I’ve been wrong the last two times when I predicted losses.

• 9 Ron Knee // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Coloccini: ‘Which way’s Argentina?’

• 10 Slank // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM

WWSBRD @ 2

Everton are in need of a new stadium. They don’t come cheap.

• 11 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Colo – “Is that Van Gaal up there?”
    Sissoko – “Where? Where? Let me see!”

• 12 WWSBRD // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Haha maybe Sissoko is playing for the new dawn of McClaren lads, eesh bunch of cynical buggers

• 13 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Bambams…we can sign all the players we like. It just mean we cannot register them all 😉 that should be the least of our worries.

Morning Ron…

• 14 WWSBRD // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Slank
    We need a new squad mate, that promised training ground, investment in the youth set up and our new owner will have to buy all the light bulbs, stationary, furniture and new carpets because I will be amazed if Ashley were to leave them when he final waddles off

• 15 Slank // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Tsunki @ 8

I was right about Liverpool and Spurs but wrong about Villa (I thought we would lose – shame on me).

Everton are a very strong team who are currently under performing. Their full backs could cause problems going forward especially against our left side as Gini is often absent.

We often play well when faced by a very good team although the results don’t always go our way (Man City and Chelsea).

If we start with Mitro with Perez or De Jong we are in with a chance. I’d prefer Perez.

I haven’t been impressed with Cisse of late. He doesn’t ruffle defenders feathers like Mitro whose physical presence causes problems which players like Perez and Gini can take full advantage of.

I’m going for a draw.

• 16 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 8:18 AM

I’ve no doubt Sissoko will be fully committed to the team and the cause, when the BT cameras start rolling.

“Lights! Camera! Scene one – ‘Champions League Performance’. – Aaaaaand – Action!”

previous post: McClaren – Things Going On Behind The Scenes On Transfers