The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Target Well Suited To Premier League

1:09 pm, Wednesday, December 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

If the Chronicle are right Newcastle will not be even attempting to sign Schalke center-back Joel Matip in January – but maybe that’s because Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp are making him a target next month.

They want to sign him on a pre-contract agreement and then sign him in the summer when he becomes a free agent.

Newcastle have come down in the football world in the last few years that we cannot compete with any of the top six clubs these days – that not an opinion – unfortunately that’s now a fact.

Lamine Kone – Lorient center-back

The other center-back we are being linked with in the January transfer market is a good one – 6ft 3ins tall  Lamine Kone of Lorient –  who has been one of the best center-backs in France for a few years now.

Last month Kone’s representative Mark McKay, revealed a number of clubs were after his player:

“I am speaking to several clubs who are ready to make an offer for Lamine in January.”

“Lamine has been outstanding this season for Lorient and I believe he is made for the Premier League.”

“He is big, strong and athletic and has all the tools to be a success in the Premier League.”

“It has always been a dream for Lamine and a number of other French players to play in the Premier League and I feel he would be a great addition for any side in the Premier League.”

Kone will turn 27 in February which is right on the upper limit of players Mike Ashley likes to sign and it’s interesting that Sunderland and Swansea are two other clubs said to be after him.

That’s three of the bottom four clubs in the league at the moment.

Lamine was born in Paris and he’s made 16 appearances for Lorient this season and joined them in 2010 from Chateauroux and picked up his first cap for the Ivory Coast last year.

The fee being mentioned is a low £5M and Newcastle can certainly  afford that – but it’s still a question whether Newcastle will bother to bring in a center-back next month with Steve McClaren maybe wanting to persevere with his captain Fabricio Coloccini at center-back.

That’s one of the big questions for Newcastle in next month’s transfer market – exactly which positions will the powers that be at the club want to strengthen?

It looks like the big and strong Kone would be a good signing for us next month.

What do you think?

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:12 PM

and on and on…..

• 2 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM

I still think Perez has a lot to go before big clubs look to sign him same with Sissoko their goals and assists are not great despite having excellent ability !

Wijnaldum is the one I can see teams looking at if he played in a team that was dominating teams I could easy see him getting 15 or 20 goals a season in fact he might even get that with us this season despite being played out of position for the majority of it !!

• 3 Belfast // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Still sticking to my prediction of no incomings unless Cisse leaves.

• 4 banjax // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM

What is the point of buying a Lorient Centre half who might be great in the French league but when it comes to hitting the Premier league running – do you think he can? Maybe the German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish leagues are different but those players cost money and we all know MA is adverse to spending it. At this time of the season where speculation becomes an art form, it helps to have a dose of commonsense and a low bullshit monitor.

• 5 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM

I think the only incoming will be the Vicar of Dribbly through the shed door Belfast. He’ll help you pull your crackers though.

• 6 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM

I thought we had enough Kones here at Newcastle anyway

• 7 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM

We should get the players white and orange reflective hoop strips…..

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:29 PM

..bit harsh that skunki

• 9 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Tsunski. Stinki. Poka…oops…

• 10 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Wouldn’t it be absolutely awful, awful, awful if I was…. Jeff? Ha ha that would bring the place crashing down 😀 I’m not though, but the thought just struck me what if Ray/Jeff/Jib was in reality his own worst enemy? 😐

• 11 LGFUAD21 // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Perez is no doubt a talent that is learning g his trade.

He is also smart that’s why he came here not real or barca.

If he’ll realises his potential he’ll be off but not for another 18 mi this I do t think.

• 12 lochinvar // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Someone should tell them about a much bigger deal at a bigger club…and one where there’s only club in the City

Everton are in discussions with a United States-led consortium about a potential £200m takeover.
    The group, led by former owner of the San Diego Padres baseball team John Jay Moores and fellow entrepreneur Charles Noell, have been in talks with Toffees owner Bill Kenwright in recent months.
    Moores and Noell have previously been interested in investing in Swansea.
    The consortium is expected to perform due diligence on Everton’s accounts over the next few weeks.

• 13 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Probably should keep my thoughts to myself on that one though eh? Didn’t think that through before I blurted that out. Oh dear, I am sounding like jeff..

• 14 Jib // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM

I can see it now !
    The rotten folk at NUFC are going to beat Everton and West Brom and ruin poor Tsunki’s Christmas.
    What a set of tw@ts

• 15 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM

It won’ t ruin anything Ray, I’m not of the doom and gloomers crowd/mob/rabble/throng/crew/collective/etc. Who wish bad on us. I’m pessimistic about the concept of progress at nufc but I’m always hoping that we turn a corner.

• 16 Jib // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM

• 17 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM

But at least you called me Tsunki, and didn’t call me a nasty name. That’s a start.

• 18 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Oops spoke too soon. I actually clicked on that link Jeff, normally I don’t. And I won’t again if I value time.

• 19 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Anyway I voted loss against Everton, reason being I predicted losses against Liverpool and Spuds. I’m hoping I am just as accurate again 🙂

• 20 Moonraker15 // Dec 23, 2015 at 1:56 PM

For the sake of Maoc and for the record!
    I, like many if not most toon fans will never stop watching my team whoever the owner is ! Just saying !

• 21 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Got a bit bored, started looking back over the archives and I came up with this gem

// Dec 23, 2011 at 9:30 AM

It looks like all the comments on players lost in position leads to a conclusion – Pardew is changing the shape of the team, to get players like Santon, Marveaux, Abeid, HBA and Vukic working the way they do best. Don’t expect Tiote to feature in this team either – he is going, and the midfield is going to be less a battlefield with a tank in the middle, more fluid with players who can quickly switch position and cut inside quickly. (we definitely need to cos crossing isn’t our forte). I thought HBA did well the other day, especially as he’s a forward without portfolio at the mo – he looks like he has to make his own room to fit in right now, but if, as I suspect, Pards juggles things around in January, the back four will be solid again & the team will start to change shape to fit in around the playmakers like Cabaye, HBA, Marveaux etc.

Guess which complete slack-jawed idle witted gormless chump posted this utterly childish, hopeful blue-sky twaddle?

Yep it was me. A present for you at Crimbo Jeff, ‘Tis the season etc. 🙂 just illustrates that it’s not good to be taken in by this ” everything will work out fine” airy-fairy thinking. There is a place for living, breathing scepticism.

• 22 Bri // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Don’t have to spend multi millions just look at Liecester.
    A good work ethic and players who know how to play to a system can work wonders.

• 23 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:31 PM

• 24 Mag52 // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:31 PM

A brave post indeed. You even referred to him as ‘Pards’.
    Those were the days eh.

• 25 Jib // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Phillipe Albert talking about how different footy was back in his day.
    No video analysis of the opposition under neither Keegan nor Dalglish “we didn’t care who we played”

Everyone played 4-4-2 and just went full bore.

He remembers being 3-0 down against Leicester and winning 3-4 – unthinkable on the continent at that time.

• 26 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Mag52 ah those indeed were the days…Optimism Valley. Got fire bombed then flooded I hear.

• 27 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Actually I’d like to retract that flooded talk bit insensitive at the moment. Sorry.

• 28 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM

There is something to be said about video analysing players having an adverse effect. If youtubing players got Dennis unstuck it can do the same to a player who thinks the guy he has to play against runs at 100mph and can breeze past him like a ghost.

• 29 Jib // Dec 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM

“Jeffs off trawling the blog with all his search powers for more of my rubbish. Bon appetit!”

By gum

You do have a big opinion of yourself don’t you ?

• 30 Tsunki // Dec 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Sizeable jeff, sizeable. I just stand next to you.

previous post: This Player So Loyal To Newcastle – Give Him A New Deal