The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Willing To Show Some Patience With This Player

7:41 am, Thursday, December 24th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Siem do Jong did not have a good game against Aston Villa last Saturday and he missed a golden opportunity to score in the second half when we were ahead 1-0 and if that had happened we would have in all likelihood won that game.

But it didn’t and Siem missed a sitter at the far post after Wijnaldum had brilliantly set him up – but to Siem’s credit as a mature footballer and leader – he fessed up after the game that he really should have scored and that he wasn’t happy he had missed the chance.

siem de jong aston villa 1-1 storm

Siem de Jong – during the Aston Villa game

But we still think he will start on Saturday against Everton and is likely to pair up with Aleksandar Mitrovic, who will come in for the injured Papiss Cisse – out with a groin injury he picked up against Villa.

It’s tough on young Ayoze Perez, but the 22 year-old can come on in the second half of the game and who knows – he could get the winner for us again.

Steve McClaren seems willing to be patient with Siem:

“I know Siem well from his Ajax days,” “He was their best player but they were obviously a different team and I think the year out hasn’t helped him. I think he’s coming back slowly.

“He’s had to wait a long time and he’s been frustrated.”  “At Ajax he played in a team that dominated the ball and dominated possession.

“He was the focal point of that but here it’s a little different. We don’t really dominate possession – we’re more of a transition or counterattacking team.”

“I think Siem’s experience over the last couple of games has helped us,”  “His fitness has improved and his running stats prove that – but he knows he needs a goal.”

“We’ve got to stick with it but de Jong has still got to perform. You still have to do the job and the job is you have to score and get assists, and you also have to run.”

“We know Siem can score and get assists, and we know he’s smart and clever.”

It’s certainly worth being patient with the 26 year-old Dutch International, because we know he’s a very good player when he’s on his game and he can still do well on Tyneside.

He hasn’t shown top form at Newcastle yet, but we are still hoping that as he gets the playing time and sharpens up his game after being out a year with injury – he can still be a success at Newcastle.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Ayoze Perez · Coaching · Premier League · Siem de Jong

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!

In Denmark Christmas is celebrated today…dancing around the tree, the roasted duck and the presents.

Traditionally the 25th is not that important here and the 24th is considered the Holy Night! I am not that religious but I know most of you probably do most of this the 25th?

• 2 firebug666 // Dec 24, 2015 at 7:54 AM

jesper

Merry Xmas mate, I hope you have a wonderful day.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone on the blog a very merry Christmas, and a joyful and prosperous New Year.

• 3 Lindisfarne // Dec 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Gini, de Jong, Sissoko and Janmaat could all do with some extra defensive coaching and probably Haidara as well, to protect himself from going all in.

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Why do we have to be a transition or counterattacking team?

…especially against the teams outside the top 6. Not to say at SJP?

• 5 nearly // Dec 24, 2015 at 7:57 AM

SDJ IS A CLASS PLAYER WHO HAS HAD LOTS OF BAD LUCK SINCE COMING OVER HERE , HOPEFULLY THAT IS BEHIND HIM ,ANOTHER 5 OR 6 GAMES HE SHOULD BE BACK TO HIS BEST ,HE WILL NEVER BE THE FASTEST OF PLAYER BUT HE COMPENSATES THAT WITH HIS VISION AND FOOTBALL BRAIN

• 6 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Merry Christmas Ron…to you and your loved ones!

I feel like writing alot of Christmas smilies, but Ed’s WordPress based webpage doesn’t show ’em!

• 7 Ron Knee // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Same to you, jesper!

• 8 Ron Knee // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:08 AM

firebug

I’d like a nice present on Boxing Day, but I’m not counting on it!

• 9 firebug666 // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Ron

Everton smegerton; If our lads are up for the game, then the least we should expect is a draw. A lot may depend on the weather, the forecast is wet and windy.

• 10 nightfa11 // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Sign: world class dmc and jetro

Sell: wili, marveaux, rivi, tiote, obertan, cisse, goufrann.

Defenders: jetro,Mbemba, colo,Taylor, dummet, Janmaat, lescalles, haidara

Midfielders: new dmc, wini, sissoko, Colback, Anita, thauvin, aarons, de jong

Strikers: mitro, perez,armstrong

With that we improve our squad..and save about 10 mio on wages for summer tw..

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Merry Christmas Jesper! I get to celebrate both today and tomorrow! Going over to a Swede’s house tonight for their Christmas celebrations – like you their big one is today – and then tomorrow I have a celebration with those who celebrate on the 25th, like my partner.

Personally, I’m more of a Boxing day celebrations man as I used to play in an annual football tournament in the morning and then head off to the ground/pub to watch the match!

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:19 AM

I like De Jong, but so far it hasn’t happened for him. We need his creativity, but we also need more from our central midfield and more delivery/crosses into the box.

I think the biggest issue to resolve is how best to utilise Gini moving forward though. He hasn’t shown anything in the way of an ability to cross regularly, which negates one of Mitro’s biggest assets. But we don’t want to drop him to deep or we lose some of his goal threat. Has he got the ability to thread a pass and unlock a defence? We haven’t seen much of that and we need that from a number 10.

Ideally I’d like to see us try a front 3 – not necessarily against Everton – at some point. A pair from Thauvin/Aarons/Perez/Toney/(Arma?) with Mitro in the middle for cut backs and crosses I think would be more effective based on our current squad. But where does that leave Gini, Sissoko, Tiote, Colback, Anita and De Jong? For me only 1 of Gini and Sissoko could start, 1 of Anita and Colback and 1 of Tiote or De Jong, depending on how defensive you want to go. However I don’t see any combo of them offering us the blend of defence, intelligence, creativity, passing range, or an ability to dominate other midfields based on recent form.

The midfield needs a huge overhaul really with removing some of the average players and upgrading to more consistent performers. I’d keep Gini, Colback and give De Jong another 6 months to prove he can cut it. Bringing in 2 at least very high quality complete centre mids giving us 5 good first team performers for the central roles. With young Heaney and a couple of years away and Smith trying to force his way in as well should give us the depth we need plus any other youths (e.g. the Longstaffs) coming through or development squad additions.

For those who don’t like Colback, I chose him over Anita not because I think he is a better player, but he is better equipped to be dropped from the side for periods and come in to do a job on occasions when needed.

I’d cash in on Sissoko if we are prepared to spend what we earn and more on replacing him – eg. if we got £10million for Sissoko add the £15-20million we could spend on 1 player to that £10 and try and get Xhaka – or someone of that ilk.

• 13 firebug666 // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Lilongwe

That’s just greedy 😀

Still we all over indulge a little at Christmas, I myself shall be watching the match in a not to sober fashion, and this lot think I get noisy when I haven’t had a drink!

• 14 nearly // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:28 AM

i agree we are a counter attacking team,the problem is some of our players dont like the defensive side of things ,it wont work until some of them are replaced also there is no confidence in the back four we need a quality lb and a no nonsense cb to partner mbemba who is quality,should be doing everything to get shawcross in really think we could get him ,robinson from hull would be another good signing at lb,add shelvey to that and we will be well on our way

• 15 Jib // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Someone has hinted at it already.
    What helped Villa last week could help us on Boxing Day