The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Could Be Newcastle’s Best Team For Everton

8:41 am, Thursday, December 24th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

We will assume that Papiss Cisse is out of the game on Boxing Day with the groin injury he picked up in the first half against Aston Villa, which ended up in a disappointing 1-1 draw.

So it would be great if Newcastle can get their third win in four games against a good Everton side on Saturday. if only to make up for the loss of 2 points against the bottom of the league side at home.

everton fc

We have a feeling that Siem de Jong will hold his starting position in the team and that 21 year-old Aleksandar Mitrovic will get the nod to replace Papiss Cisse up front and show us what he can do – like scoring some goals against the Toffees.

The other change we’d like to see – but that Steve McClaren will probably not make for Saturday – is to give 20 year-old Kevin Mbabu a start at left back for local lad Paul Dummett.

Paul has struggled for a number of games now and just couldn’t hold Rudy Gestede when he came on just before the hour mark in the game. last Saturday.

Kevin has played well in the first team when he’s got his chance and we’re hoping he will get a start on Saturday and if not Saturday then maybe at West Brom on Monday afternoon.

Jamaal Lascelles has just returned to training this week and could be on the bench on Saturday.

Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini (c) Mbabu
Wijnaldum Anita Colback Sissoko
de Jong
Subs: Darlow Dummett Lascelles Tiote Gouffran Thauvin Perez

Cheick Tiote is back fit again and he could get a start on Monday afternoon at the Hawthorns in place of either Anita or Colback in central midfield.

What would your team be for Boxing Day?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Everton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Ashlio out-o!

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Thauvin should start against Everton, although I’d be okay with Perez starting there as well. I would also play Mbabu right back and Janmaat right mid. Mbabu to counter Kone’s physicality, and Janmaat because he is our best crosser of the ball. If I was Lukaku I’d be looking at peeling off Mbemba and Colo to attack the back post where Janmaat is from Delofeu’s balls in – Mbabu can help there as well. It also means we have extra support defensively when Baines pushes forward.

That means 3 of Gini, Colback, Anita, De Jong and Sissoko. Going against what I said in my afore mentioned essay, I’d give Sissoko the chance to prove he can be dominant in central midfield and task him with forcing Barkley into coping with Sissoko’s powerful runs through the midfield. Probably Gini in number 10 role as I think he will offer more than De Jong who will be negated by McCarthy and Barry. Gini will ask more questions of them with his running. Has to be Anita after that as he is more capable covering the full back which we will likely need against Delofeu.

• 3 will die for the toon army // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM

No way Mbabu will ever b ahead of Dummett. Mbabu is back up and will b rotated around and come on wen someone is injured.

Dummett is a leader. Those who say why Mcca is obsessed with De Jong is because De Jong is world class and keeps the team together which had failed with Perez. That experience is needed at NUFC. Perez is jst an attacker.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:50 AM

So, to summarise;

Mbabu – Mbemba – Colo – Dummet
    Sissoko – Anita
    Janmaat – Gini – Thauvin/Perez

• 5 will die for the toon army // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:52 AM

We are going to beat Everton they r attack minded and we r good at counter attacking

• 6 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:54 AM

First off, Lilo – you’re wasting quality posts during Eds morning blog sprint!

I have always had head shake moments when I hear suggestions of a full back being switched to winger just because he has shown he can get to each byline, examples being recently Simmo and Santon, and even Dummett! But in the case of Janmaat, although he’s not skilful with the ball at his feet, does actually get the ball into the box by hook or by crook. He’s fit and not afraid to run at defenders despite his limitations, which is 90% of what you want! Add that I think Mbabu will be no less keen than on his debut, playing in his natural position. it’s the side Everton might fancy themselves on so it could work. Now… the left side… 😐

• 7 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:56 AM

My big problem and I mean big problem with sissoko is he can’t / won’t tackle.

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Dummett is a leader?

• 9 will die for the toon army // Dec 24, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Nice but i belive that can never happened. Mcca has never seen Sissoko as a CM. Wijnaldum is given the go ahead of Sissoko.

Mbabu is backup.he aint ahead of any player.

Wijanldum and Sissoko r perfect were they r now so why kill it.

For me i wld go with Thauvin on the left to help out Mitro.

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:02 AM

I know, it always happens as this is the time I’m most likely to be on! Well, the wasting posts bit, I’m sure people will argue on the quality side….

Yeah, left side is a worry which is why I’d like to see Sissoko go head to head with Barkley. McCarthy and Barry won’t get forward anywhere near as much which means if Sissoko can negate Barkley’s threat, then Anita will have more opportunity to help Dummet and Thauvin with Coleman and Delofeu. It is also why I’d start Gini as he has the legs to drop in and help out if needs be.

I wouldn’t want to see Janmaat as a winger on a regular basis, but I think this is a game where it would suit us.

• 11 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:07 AM

For me sissoko has always been difficult to place. Not on rw in front of Janmaat, he gives janmaat nothing in the way of cover on overlap. his big strength has always been a lengthy run from deep in his own half, cutting a swathe across the pitch, marooning dm’ s and dragging full backs wide out of position. Unfortunately his final ball is inconsistent. He’s probably more effective coming into the box on the break from seemingly nowhere and scoring. He’s done that a couple of times.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Will Die,
    If Sissoko and Wijnaldum are perfect where they are, why do you move Wijnaldum from his position? Both are far from perfect in their positions and are one of the main reasons we have created one of the least number of chances in the Prem this season. Mitro and/or Cisse won’t score regularly if they continue to play wide.

I’m sure McClaren will have seen Sissoko play centrally, as it is, I have both he and Wijnaldum playing centrally, so it isn’t an either or situation.

As for Mbabu, he has come through the youth, does that mean he should always be back up? When he has played he hasn’t let anyone down. De Jong was back up, but you have said numerous times recently we can’t drop him (you have from your 11 here btw).

• 13 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Barkley is their driving force forward in midfield. He’s strong, can spot a run opportunity (a bit like sissoko) and not bad feet at all it’s more a case of wanting sissoko to keep him busy than the other way round. If Barkley is occupied chasing sissoko that would ease a lot of pressure in front of our defence.

• 14 Average_Contents // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Merry Christmas jesperlemon

Been busy so didn’t reply the other day mate.

Hope it’s a good one and the kids enjoy it.

Same to you too bud.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year one and all. I hope everyone gets what they wished for.

My wish is three points and new players in the new year 🙂

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Yeah, Sissoko is a difficult one. If it is true someone bid for him in the summer I would have let him go and replaced him. Same still applies for me, but I really don’t see anyone being interested. I think his Mr 15% has probably told him that nobody wants him despite hawking himself to anyone and everyone for the past 12 months, which is why over the last week or two he has softened his stance on that.

Long term I see him being an impact sub with Thauvin/Arma/Perez/Toney/Aarons/Signing and Mitro taking the wide right, left and central attacking roles

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Tsunki @ 13.

Yeah, the forcing Barkley to work back is the reason I’d play him there. I thought I’d explained that bit, maybe it wasn’t clear in how I put it…

“I’d give Sissoko the chance to prove he can be dominant in central midfield and task him with forcing Barkley into coping with Sissoko’s powerful runs through the midfield”

• 17 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I’ve seen wijnaldum hold the ball off some very good defensive mids, at the same time looking for a good pass forward. He has undoubted skill in this area, commanding the ball on attack from midfield. And he can start and finish a move from there too as we’ve seen a couple of times. He definitely needs to play just outside their area. The deeper or wider he goes, he starts to go missing.

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Merry Christmas AC, all the best to you and your family!

• 19 Slank // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Our weakness is our left side as Gini drifts into the middle leaving Dummitt unsure whether to advance or stick and defend. Many, if not all, of our most memorable attacks have therefore started on the right.

Because Everton will sussed this out McClaren needs to rebalance the tram especially as Everton have very dangerous and highly effective fullbacks going forward.

My team would be:

Janmaat – Mbemba – Colo – Dummitt
    Sissoko – Anita – Colback – Thauvan

Gini can operate in his natural position of No 10 helping out the midfield when required but more importantly supporting Mitrovich. I have never regarded Gini as central midfielder in the mold of a Cabaye and would therefore never make him part of a two man midfield.

Thauvan and Dummitt can patrol our left side and stop the crosses to Lukaku whilst at the same time present an attacking threat with crosses for Mitrovich and Gini.

• 20 sing in the corner // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Lil @2
    If I was Lukaku I would plonk myself between the penalty spot and six yard box,dead centre. Particularly when his Everton team mates are attacking Dummett down their right. This is because Colo’s drill is to stand on the point of the six yard box staring hopefully at the ball, completely oblivious to who is wandering in behind him. And Mbemba / Janmaat in behind look at each other…’go on, yours!’
    So regularly does this happen I can only assume this is what Colo is told to do. Why? Beats me.

• 21 Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Lilo – no you explained it well I didn’t read your post up their right when I first scanned it ha ha I just ended up paraphrasing you sorry. Great minds sometimes etc 🙂 or fools rarely differ 😀 I’m sure someone will pour buckets of cold water on it all though, that’s what a blog is a about!

• 22 nut meg // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:24 AM

A merry Christmas and best wishes for 2016 to everyone.
    News from the chronicle saying they understand nufc are focusing on a forward & a winger this window.

• 23 jimmysmith // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:35 AM

I think the side Ed has picked is about our best given the players we have available. Maybe Tiote in for one of the two DM’s. However, neither Mbabu or Dummett is a great option at left back. We really need a Janmaat style player in there and then we would have as well balanced a team as I’ve seen in recent years. A fit Haidarra I think would be picked. But it is painfully obvious though that we don’t shape the squad to suit any particular style of play, and that surely is why we’ve done so poorly relative to the quality we have had. We’ve always had trouble getting our best 11 on the pitch in their best positions.

• 24 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Sissoko is one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen play for the Toon!!

Thought when we signed him he could be our version of a Viera/Toure type of player but he does not have the heart, skill or brain to be anywhere near them !!

When he plays in the middle he doesn’t put a tackle in and has a poor touch so we instantly lose the midfield battle when he is in the middle

The only times he has played well for us is when he is on the right wing but even then he doesn’t track back and if there is no space to run he runs out of ideas !!

previous post: More Proof This Youngster Still Has A Future At Newcastle