The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Struggling With Injury Doubt Today

8:20 am, Monday, December 28th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been struggling with an ankle injury and he was doubtful for the Everton game.

The 21 year-old remains doubtful foe the game today at West Brom and it seems if the Serbian cannot make the game it could even be a first start in the Premier League for 19 year-old new boy Ivan Toney up front.

22 year-old Ayoze Perez could also start up front on his own with Siem de Jong just behind him in a 4-4-1-1 formation, but there´s not much physical power in that combination and Ivan could add some muscle up front.

Ivan Toney +Newcastle+United+v+Northampton+9yWMPD5HYtSl

Ivan Toney – could start today

But he´s also a big risk in such an important a game today with West Brom – who are only 3 points ahead of us in the league table.

It may be dangerous to ask Mitro to play two games in less than 48 hours on an injured ankle – and that´s just asking for trouble.

We have enough long term injuries already this season.

Steve McClaren was asked about Mitro´s injury yesterday:

“He had an ankle injury and struggled to make the game but made it and he was our focal point.”

“I still think he was causing them problems with his physicality and we wanted to put Florian Thauvin on and get crosses into the box as we did last week and it nearly worked.”

“He had the opportunity and in future games hopefully he takes them.”

“We have a few walking wounded, so we will have to see who can play at West Brom, but I can’t ask any more of them.”

Maybe McClaren will start Siem de Jong and Ayoze Perez up front and then he has Florian Thauvin and/or Ivan Toney to come in during the second half.

Thauvin in action against Aston Villa

Florian also looks like he may be coming into some form during his cameo appearances over the last few games and in the game against Villa he put over two beautiful left wing crosses in that second half.

The Frenchman should see some playing time this afternoon.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Ayoze Perez · Florian Thauvin · Injuries · Ivan Toney · Newcastle News · Premier League · Siem de Jong

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:23 AM

My royalty cheque is in the post!

• 2 sing in the corner // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Wow, never even thought of him!
    Dummett rested is the most obvious freshen up for me. And maybe Tiote in just for his freshness, not that I think he is more capable than Colback or Anita now.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Thanks. I’m going to get Ed to post more of Carroll articles every year and see if I can retire on the royalty money!

I heard we were interested in Tom Carroll as well. Any chance of an article? Feel free to use Christmas Carroll! 😉

• 4 sing in the corner // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM

More chance of us signing Lewis Caroll. I hope…

• 5 Tsunki // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Whoa whoa whoa did I hear ‘ Christmas Carroll’™ being used without my permission there….

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I can’t see Dummett getting dropped. We will need his height and physicality. I wouldn’t mind us fitting in Mbabu somewhere, but for me it would be right back or defensive midfield.

Janmaat hasn’t impressed recently, and he looked spent when trying to get back at times on Saturday. Mbabu again adds height to our back line which could be crucial at set pieces if Mitro doesn’t make it.

Can’t see us starting Toney, We have other options in Thauvin, Perez, SDJ and Wijnaldum that could be moved around to create a different look in attack.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM

I hope you’re not trying to claim my intellectual(?) property??

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:50 AM

You’ll be hearing from my lawyers. Come, Das Boot™, let’s get out of here….

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Bring it on!! I have it all in writing! 😉

Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:35 AM

I do love a good Christmas Carroll story. Still, it is an absolute non starter and utterly pointless. A bit like Ed’s other favourite topics.

Last few times I’ve watched Everton, Lukaku has scored by peeling off onto the back post and outmuscling the defenders. Mbabu would offer a bit more security, against that.

On Colo, it wouldn’t be a terrible position to take up playing against a lone centre forward if he spoke to the other defenders and organised the back line. He doesn’t, and nobody else does, so inevitably all the defence look daft. It is the key reason Matip isn’t the answer for us, Matip needs an organiser and leader next to him as well.

10banjax // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM

I would like to wish every single person who contributes here on this blog A very Merry Xmas to them and their loved ones and all the very best for the New Year.

As far as interminable stories about injury regular Andy Carroll are concerned, let’s just hope that’s all it is.

11Tsunki // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Ha ha Christmas Carroll. I do like that one. 🙂 hang on, didn’t we have one last year…..?

• 10 Ron Knee // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Was Lewis Carroll thinking of NUFC when he wrote: ‘Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday — but never jam today’?

• 11 Tsunki // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Perez and SDJ more likely if SDJ is fit. Thauvin needs some confidence, he could do with some starts not these last minute subs. Playing wijnaldum anywhere out of position basically puts him out of the game.

• 12 Tsunki // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:53 AM

….I’ve been rumbled!

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I see Byram scored last night, one we have been linked with in the past and is available for purchase in Jan, or out of contract in the summer. Fits the bill quite nicely for the club, young, English, resale value, bolsters our home grown quota prior to next season etc.

Right back certainly isn’t a priority, but he is 6ft and has been playing right midfield quite a bit this season. Could allow Sissoko to be moved infield/on and also provide more cover for Janmaat.

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Send a royalty cheque in the post and we can forget it ever happened!

• 15 clinath@ed // Dec 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Lil, re Janmaat. We were discussing his body language during his last few games. The lad is playing like he is totally p!ssed off with life (at the toon?)
    Looks a lot like Colo did a season or so ago……not a happy choppy.

Merry xmas everyone btw.

• 16 hibbitt // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM

just shows were Riviere is in the pecking order when Toney is above him another french flop

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM

West Brom don’t confer at pace, they are yet to score a goal this season via a counter attack. Based on that then maybe we should be looking at pressing them more. Pulis will be happy to earn set pieces and will hope his side take their chances. A draw would be far more satisfactory for them then us.

If Anita isn’t fit (and even if he is) then it could be time to mix it up a little. Anita or Colback holding and shielding with Gini playing a more advanced central role. Sissoko and Thauvin wide with SDJ as the focal point and Perez playing off him.

Gini, Perez, Sissoko and Thauvin have the ability to offer plenty of movement and create gaps in the WBA defence for SDJ to exploit with his intelligent passing and movement.

It leaves us vulnerable at set pieces without Mitro, but if he isn’t fully fit then he shouldn’t be playing. I’d have preferred he missed Everton and been better rested for today mind.

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Yeah, there were a few times on Saturday (and in other recent games) where he is so slow tracking back, it was embarrassing. He did talk recently of wanting to play at the top level, maybe he has had enough of the club. He has always looked fairly temperamental since he moved here.

Mbabu did enough at left back to suggest he wouldn’t look out of place playing in his natural position, but it is a big jump from the odd game where adrenalin can carry you through to performing regularly. Still, we will never know until he gets a decent run. Will be interesting to see if the club offer him a new contract soon or not.

I think Rivi is still injured, but I’d rather see Toney given a chance than Rivi.

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Post 17, *counter not confer.

• 20 WWSBRD // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Thauvin played well on the right both times I’ve seen him play there and linked up with Janmaat well which would of allowed Sissoko to move in field…didn’t happen though mate not sure the Sissoko plan is to move him in field

• 21 WWSBRD // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:33 AM

In fact I think the Sissoko plan is to sell up and count the cash as soon as someone meets his price tag

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I doubt Sissoko would cope playing in the centre of midfield. I said infield/on as I would happily see him moved on and replaced with a far more complete player. Still, he is currently needed in our squad as is, and I have little faith in a high quality replacement coming in which is why I also put the infield part.

He put in a more work against Everton, but the defensive and passing side of his game are far too weak for him to become a top centre midfielder. He is best when running with the ball, it is his only real strength, although even then he lacks any skill or finesse to go past people, it has to be by pace and size or he seems to run out of ideas.

• 23 Rotonda heights // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM

At the moment with zero creativity from midfield playing mitro just means playing an unsuccessful long and high ball game.

343 or 3412 with a sweeper and wingbacks, 2 hard working midfielders and 3 mobile, quick and creative guys up front might address all of our failings all over the pitch.

Colo (sweeper)

MBabu Lascelles

Sissoko Anita MBemba Aarons

De Jong
    Perez Thauvin

Like AP and JC it will never happen with SM as he plays with as much fear and lack of a plan B as his predecessors.

We all knew we wouldn’t get a good foreign coach and it was inevitable we would end up with another deadbeat like SM. It’s a self fufilling prophecy we just keep repeating.

If it 100% meant the removal of sports direct and wonga, is relegation a price worth paying to get the club’s identity back?

• 24 posada // Dec 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Lots of formations and ideas on here today.
    Everton played 4 3 3 and we had no answer to it in the first half.
    A good manager like a Cloughie would find an answer with the players we have.
    That’s the difference between a ‘ good coach ‘ and a proper manager.

previous post: London Club Hints At Offloading Striker To Newcastle