The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Goalkeeper Still Doubtful But Two Players Back In Training

10:26 pm, Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

Steve McClaren gave his press conference for the Arsenal game today and started with the very sad and untimely death of Pavel Srnicek – Steve said he and the club were absolutely devastated at the terrible news.

Steve didn’t know Pavel personally, but he said he was a very good goalkeeper and a great personality and various people now at the club  knew him extremely well.

The club is devastated at the sad news – and these tragedies put things into perspective.

Steve McClaren Press Conference Newcastle United

Steve McClaren – gave press conference today for the Arsenal game

Steve went on to mention that Rob Elliot had to be sent home today from training and still has not recovered from what Steve said was a stomach bug.

That’s got to work itself through Rob’s system but Steve was hoping Elliot would be fit to take his position back in goal at the Emirates.

If Rob can recover he can go straight into the side without much training this week.

Karl Darlow is being prepared for the game and McClaren again said he has every confidence in the new goalkeeper and pointed out he had made some good saves on Monday afternoon at The Hawthorns.

There was no new update on either Papiss Cisse or Vurnon Anita, but some good news that both Emmanuel Riviere and Rolando Aarons are now back in training.

So we may see one or both of them on the bench on Saturday in what is going to be a very difficult game for us in north London.

Steve McClaren was again unwilling to be drawn into any discussion at all on transfers and said it would all be done in private, but it seems some of the names being mentioned in the press are way off the mark.

Steve said he didn’t know where the information was coming from and that their sources on transfers were not very good – and he said he had never even heard of half the players we are being linked with.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Arsenal?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I don’t get this bug thing that Elliott got. Even a reasonably top notch case of the gripping chugs shouldn’t last more than a day or two. Unless it’s dysentery. Those Balti pies have a lot to answer for.

• 3 Belfast // Dec 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Tsunki out!

• 4 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Ah. “Steely-gaze determined McLaren” pics this early. When’s the game? We should still be using ” head in hands reach for revolver McLaren” pics shouldn’t we?

• 5 Belfast // Dec 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM

He ate a bargain bucket on Sunday night according to indi kalia

• 6 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Too late Belfast. I’m like a new signing.

• 7 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM

Ah. Indykaila. The liar with the inside track on all things imagined. Forgot about him.

• 8 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:00 PM

I don’t think it was a bargain bucket, Belfast. I think this has confirmed our fears that Fat Rob is indeed the denizen of the kebab emporium, a late night sesh has brought on the dreaded munchies and A\ led to B\ in time honoured fashion. Much like the time many years ago when I woke up in my mini at 5 am with a cold prawn curry in a bag under the passenger seat. Another time for that story.

• 9 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Just you and me carrying the flag on Radio Quiet this eve, Belfast. it’s a sad, sad world we live in.

• 10 Belfast // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Well somebody needs to be here incase the fire goes out I suppose.

• 11 jane // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Tsunki did you eat the prawn curry when you awoke?

• 12 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM

I suppose it’s a great relief to Mr Charnley that ‘ace striker’ Manu Riviere and ‘ Great Prospect’ Rolando Aarons are rushing back into contention before any rash buying of players gets under way.

We just need Steven Taylor to report for fitness training now and we can push on for the second half of the season. It’ll be like a new start, with new signings in a new year. Everybody wins.

• 13 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Jane I thought about it for a time. A long time. But because I couldn’t remember if I actually bought it the night before I decided not to go with it. But it was touch and go for a while.

• 14 nightfa11 // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:30 PM

The board said 3 transfer Windows.. They impressed in 1st.. 2nd will be tough cos were in shit position and primary targets probably wont come, But hey..lets wait and see..

• 15 Jib // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Just watched SM’s presser on NUFCtv

A Journo asked:-

“In January 2013 when the club was in a similar league position and circumstances they brought some four signings forward from the Summer.
    Will this happen again?”

McClaren replied “That’s a long question for a short answer ”

I was expecting him then to say “no”.

I was intrigued when he said
    “We’ll see”

So maybe the rumours about Alexandre Lacazette from Lyon for €35 million are true !!!!!

• 16 jane // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:32 PM

wise it could have been there for months.

• 17 Jib // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Talking to some Real Madrid supporting friends today and they are convinced Benitez is getting the bullet and Mourinho is returning !!!

• 18 lesh // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:39 PM

When looking at three transfer windows, don’t forget that they have said they don’t do January.

Be prepared for the thought that they’ll say they meant three summer windows.

So, what could that mean in practice?

They’ll spend this window, and maybe next or the next summer window. Any buys this window would be counted against one of the next two summers – brought forward

• 19 jane // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:41 PM

I’m expecting 1 or 2 quality signings.

• 20 lesh // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Was McClaren smiling when he said ‘We’ll see’?

If he was smiling, he’ll be fairly confident. If not, well

• 21 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Jane, exactly what I thought. Eventually.

• 22 King_Solano // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:45 PM

For me, it’s our holding midfield that needs changing asap. I think that is our Achilles heal. Anita had never been good enough for a starting position but now finds himself an automatic starter. And colback is a squad player at best.
    I would partner de jong with tiote as our holding pair untill we buy an adequate player/players for these positions. I know de jong is a no 10 but he is a smart player who can pick a pass. He has similar attributes to cabaye.
    I would put sisoko in the middle behind mirror. We need him running down the middle at the defense. He is wasted out wide.
    Perez/Thuavin wide left and gini right.
    That’s my 2 cents on team selection untill some new blood is injected, which is desperately needed.

• 23 Tsunki // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM

I’m expecting something like that curry tbh.

• 24 GeordieTwo // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:55 PM

RIP Pavel.

• 25 jane // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:57 PM

is that a euphemism Tsunki?

• 26 jane // Dec 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM

or have you still got it in your fridge?

• 27 nightfa11 // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:05 AM

We should just start attacking teams, cos this clearly doesnt work..

Janmaat colo Mbemba Colback
    Tiote wini
    Sissoko dejong perez

• 28 GeordieTwo // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Remember Mike, beermonkey and I can step in at any time. We’ll need operating expenses of course and about 1M pounds a year each. Nobody could be worse than Charnley and that bunch of clowns we call a board.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:07 AM

I like your lineup up nightfall mate. Much better than what we’ve been starting with. If Wij can’t use his left foot he shouldn’t be on the left wing as several have already said.

• 30 Jib // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:13 AM

I’ve just been back to look at it again after your question.
    When the journo uses the phrase “accelerated deals” he defo gives a start of surprise and the has a big cheesy grin when he says “we’ll see”.
    He then changes the subject very quickly.

• 31 Tsunki // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Jane, yes. Yes I do
    And I look at it from time to time
    For old times sake.

• 32 SUTTY1978 // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Mc wont change from his current formation/team/mentality. He’s the only manager i have ever seen come into a new club and only try one formation in pre-season. It took him until about November to realise it didn’t work. Don’t expect a change until about March at best.

• 33 SUTTY1978 // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Jib, McClaren always has an inane grin, that’s because he’s a twat not because he knows that some secret deals are in the offing.

• 34 jimmysmith // Dec 31, 2015 at 12:20 AM

I remember McC talking about how he had initially if perhaps cheekily enquired if they might not spend all the money at once, and being gently rebuked. I think the greater concern is who we can get, rather than whether there is a willingness to get players in.

• 35 lesh // Dec 31, 2015 at 1:32 AM

Thanks for describing McClaren’s demeanor when asked about transfers.

He’s either a very good liar or genuinely believes there’s to be any transfer activity.

I hope he’s able take the shock of hearing the Couldn’t get them over the line’ spiel.

• 36 lesh // Dec 31, 2015 at 1:41 AM

Your insightful and much considered assessment of McLaren’s psychological state was most impressive.

The world’s greatest psychologists would have taken months to come up with their assessments.

But you, a matter of minutes!

Loved it

😀 😀 😀

• 37 lesh // Dec 31, 2015 at 1:50 AM

The selling’s starting already!

Why is it that incoming deals take forever? Because they’re more interested in money coming and stopping money going out rather than spend it!

• 38 lesh // Dec 31, 2015 at 2:21 AM

Given we’re a bit short of half-decent CBs and they’re selling Willo, can we take it that they’re gonna buy at least two quality CBs? Or even one?

No worries though because Mr Ever Present Saylor nearing fitness to play – until he’s injured and out for the season again!

• 39 Ron Knee // Dec 31, 2015 at 6:20 AM

McClaren: “I am paddling like mad …” up sh*t creek?

previous post: Agent Of Newcastle Target Speaks Of Possible Move

next post: Is This The Striker Newcastle Really Want In January?