The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Mystery Newcastle Bid

2:44 pm, Wednesday, January 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 168 Comments

Well it looks like we’ve had our excitement for today after news that Newcastle were after Lyon striker Aleksandar Lacazette as reported by French daily L’Equipe.

News after the reports started to come through that we had offered a record €25M for the French International striker is that Newcastle are mystified by the reports.

Alexandre-Lacazette

Lyon striker Aleksandar Lacazette – no bid?

In addition this morning there was a report from the Press Association (PA) that while Newcastle are obviously interested in Lacazette – no bid has in fact been launched.

We suppose Newcastle could still bid for the Frenchman but our best bet right now seems to be to get Loic Remy on loan for the season.

It seems our biggest competition for Loic is from Crystal Palace and it would be another blow if former manager Alan Pardew persuades Loic to join Palace in loan for the rest of the season.

Loic would be just great for us – if we can get him.

168 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbitt // Jan 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM

doc the guys a WUM takes pleasure in upsetting people and should just ignorEd ……….are new motto should be JIB OUT .COM

• 2 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Dok
    I’m sorry
    I hadn’t realised Tsunki had done an impression of Loki.
    I thought you were referring to past rascist remarks which you alleged I made.
    You were included in my generic apology but this one is just for you.
    Truly sorry for any offence today and previously , other than the hurly burly of rigorous argument , no offence was intended.

• 3 manxpie // Jan 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Hmmm reports saying bid accepted but he turned us down
    So which is it?

• 4 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Jib….. It was an insensitive comment but fair play for your apology which seems sincere. This blog is definitely spiced up by your posts although somewhat controversial especially when things are quiet ,and I for one would hate to see you driven off.

• 5 nightfa11 // Jan 6, 2016 at 2:56 PM

if we did bid for him..i guess he is interested..
    we follow him for years now, so im sure the club communicates with him..so its just a matter if some other club he prefers makes a bid.. arsenal are out, cos they want aubameyang.. as for others..who knows..

• 6 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM

If nothing else it shows we a re sniffing around Europe looking for a striker.
    Looking below is worrying.

• 7 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Would be typical Newcastle to try and spend 20 odd million on this player and overlook other players such as Remy and Austin etc before its too late

We will try all window and then get denied only too miss out on everyone else we really need !!

• 8 catchy in norway // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM

jib

Call me what you like, its in my best interest that you do, it shows others that you dont have an argument about any of the points you are trying to make, all you try and do is bring what ever ” intelligente” debate down to your level by trying to see football or what ever your on about though your eyes, which for most of us just dont seem to see.

• 9 davetoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM

I hope we have many irons in the fire as this certainly wont be the last no answer we receive.

• 10 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Catchy……. Glad to see you didn’t take offence . That should put the matter to bed as he has apologised, he can’t do more other than leave.

More importantly we are now at the biggest crossroads our club has encountered for a long time. Does Ashley invest in a serious way to move the club forward. Does he invest just enough to survive or does he do nowt and hope to cling on.

The next few weeks will tell us all we need to know about his intentions.

• 11 davetoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM

I wonder if we could get demba ba back from China on loan for the rest of the season. Could do a lot worse.

• 12 Thump // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM

@LCBP: Are you trying to say we won’t get Lacazette “over the line”?

• 13 Mister Tuff // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Jib sincere after his umpteenth racist comment. Not to mention his homophobic comments.
    Some of you boys make me puke – oh I didn’t know he said that, oh I wasn’t on the blog that day, oh I must have missed that post, oh I was on holiday then.
    Oh I crossed the road didnt see the old granny getting mugged -blah blah blah.

First time – okay possible mistake.
    Umpteenth time -along with other abuse -no mistake -clear intention.

• 14 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Firebug,

The blog is read by men, woman and children of all ethnicities and faiths all over the world.
    It not a crowd of white lads watching strippers before the match in 1973.
    I’ve screen-shotted it along with previous example in the past.
    I don’t care who the author or authors are.
    I won’t be the one who’ll be finding out.

• 15 Jack Root // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Pardew is trying to sign Shelvey. He worked with him during their time at Charlton.. If we are planning a bid then we need to get our act together. Palace are also interested in a centre back and a striker. They are also said to be interested Ashley Williams who would be excellent for us.
    I know Palace are having a good season and I read Mr Tuff’s post about us not attracting this type of player but I trust we’re making an effort. I have not heard that we’ve had offers turned down.

• 16 Chancel Mbemba // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM

We need someone who is experienced in the premier league, not some ‘might be good enough’ player who wouldn’t come to is anyway. We’re wasting our time with this guy.

• 17 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Ah you’ve resumed intelligibility I..er…Jack. Good to see. Keep the football related coming.

• 18 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:32 PM

it’s not a mystery it’s rubbish. it’s one of the shortest of Eds article titles though.

• 19 nightfa11 // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:34 PM

i dont want austin, he has a good goal ratio, but hes a poacher like cisse..with 1 season in epl..his other clubs were: Kintbury Rangers, Hungerford Town, Thatcham Town, Poole Town, Swindon Town, Burnley. not impressive..and considering noone is bidding for him, im not the only one who sees him average..either that, or hes a dick..and noone wants him for his attitude.. whatever it is..i think we can do better..as does every club..like i said..noone is bidding for him..which is kind of weird..so there must be a good reason behind it..

• 20 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM

So it’s variously reported that he isn’t for sale, wouldn’t come, and we haven’t bid for him.
    So just three weeks more of excited speculation before he fails to be spotted anywhere in the vicinity of” the line.”

• 21 Jack Root // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Tsunki
    Stop. Your becoming boring which is not good for a comedian.

• 22 Thump // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:42 PM

@BandB: Rather than using screenshots, I would suggest using archive.is, finding the comment, and highlighting it. It grabs a full snapshot of the webpage (including context) and links directly to the comment in question.

For example.

• 23 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:46 PM

There does appear to be activity going on behind the scenes and McC seems to be implying in his interviews that there are serious ambitions in place backed up by transfer funds.

I just find it hard to imagine that Ashley will go against his instincts and pay over the odds for a player on footballing grounds , as oppose to seeking his pound for pound value. If we get the right players in as well as value for money then we can maybe do a Leicester. I somehow think that’s our only hope. Only time will tell.

• 24 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Thump,

I’ll bear that in mind in future.
    Though I’m hoping that this time there isn’t an “in future.”
    Sometimes the comments disappear, while the culprits remain.

• 25 nightfa11 // Jan 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Jetro
    Xhaka
    Lacazette

That would be sth 😀

Probably dream world.. But..if we convince one, others might start to belive in the project and might follow..

Or we can just give zlatan 10 mio for 6 months..im sure the club would get its money back in selling jerseys alone 🙂

• 26 Rotonda heights // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:05 PM

betty

to do a leicester we need a good manager

• 27 Essex Geordie Bill // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM

My last comment is awaiting moderation, probably because I used a non PC term. Oh well!

By the way I’d rather we signed AC than Lacazette.

• 28 Essex Geordie Bill // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Just in case my long winded efforts don’t get passed, I’ve changed the offending (I think) words in question.

Repeat

Personally I think there has been a massive over reaction to Jibs comments.

It’s typical of the ridiculous PC age in which we live where a young man gets a fine for trying to chat up an attractive woman on camera.

If you don’t like what he says then ignore him.

I reckon most of what he says which is provocative is probably meant tongue in cheek.

One of the most ironic things I’ve heard about lately is a black man selling ‘black fluffy dolls’ in, I believe Hastings. He wasn’t the least bit phased about it.

I reckon the latest South Park episodes put the whole PC thing in proper perspective, as a load of nonsense.

I just want add that it would be a disgrace if Cecil Rhodes statue was removed from Oriel College.

We might as well invite the wrecking crew from the Middle East in to raze all of our ancient monuments staring with Stonhenge.

Oh and by the way if anyone finds my comments offensive, I humbly apologise in advance.

• 29 Average_Contents // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Egb

I’d be all for it mate but at 33 I’ve got a feeling I don’t fit the club’s blueprint 😉

• 30 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:19 PM

is there a pot where we all chip in, and bet on the date of the 1st signing? id happily donate my winnings to SBR foundation, or perhaps part donated to welshie’s dad medical expenses…

• 31 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:20 PM

im in for 10, and bet well have a signing the4th from last day of the window…

• 32 Essex Geordie Bill // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM

AC

🙂

• 33 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Essex,

I probably think Ed needs to decide whether his blog is aimed at a modern, international audience, or is a bastion of all-white, all-male 1970’s tap-room “banter.”
    I know you old school types don’t see the harm in it.
    You never did.
    If he chooses the latter, then I imagine the staff and pupils at his very decent old alma mater in Walker and his former colleagues at IBM won’t find particular pride in the associations with them he claims.

• 34 davis_toons // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Nampalys_Mendy, DM, NICE (compared to former French international Claude Makélélé – Monaco club scout Didier Christophe referred to Mendy as a “carbon copy” of.)

Slightly short for height but good distribution of the ball.

Play a good game VS PSG. (HBA was in there as well)

• 35 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Well I can’t say how Jib meant his comment, I know he has had previous which is why a lot of people won’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

I’ve heard the term used before to mean idiot/simpleton and not as a racial insult.

See below, it comes from the older slang nigmenog (“a very silly fellow,” from the 1700s.

This is exactly the reason I took a few weeks break from the blog and spoke with Ed about conduct. If we all just debate opinions on all things NUFC and not insult people, no matter what we think of their views, this sort of thing won’t happen.

• 36 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Rotunda……… People laughed at and wrote off Ranieri when he came and Leicester were favourites to go down. It shows how unpredictable this season is.

At least he allows the players to play freely and express their attacking skills, but there again there was no pressure or expectation other than trying to avoid relegation.

• 37 bladeuser // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:30 PM

same old deluded tripe from the sheep why for once can u not see the only ones that will come are loans and players that no other ambitious teams want for F@@@ sake it happens every window wake the F@@@ up will u
    ASH OUT
    SMAC OUT
    COLO OUT
    SHEEP ? Out

• 38 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM

On topic….

Hopefully we can get three good players in during this window as a minimum, a commanding CB in the Shawcross mold, a quality ball playing centre mid along the lines of cabaye and also a genuine goal threat.

I’d go Williams of Swansea as a CB, enquire about Carrick from man utd (even if a loan) and then go for Remy up top (or Lacazette but can’t see him coming).

We could in theory loam Remy and Carrick (both not playing a lot in recent weeks) and look for our established targets in the summer instead of panic, short term buys now.

• 39 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Betty

You could argue there was a lot of pressure on Leicester and Ranieri. They were relegation favourites (or very close, one of the three I put money on to go down). Ranieri also had something to prove in English football, he was almost laughed at when appointed.

I agree though, he does give them freedom but they also work extremely hard, closing and chasing back all over the pitch. You often see Mahrez attempt a pass in the final third then be the man tackling the winger around his own box….great energy.

• 40 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Sam Byram from Leeds – targeted by NUFC Everton and The Mackems is going to sign for West Ham apparently 🙁
    £10 million

• 41 Mister Tuff // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM

See that Jan Kirchhoff from Bayern Munich is at Sunderland for a medical. He’s a centre half apparently.

• 42 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Tuff

I heard that earlier, I had to google him to have a look, never heard of him at Bayern.

I take it he is a squad player they bought and rarely used?

• 43 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Hmmmmm, it’s pretty disappointing supporting the toon. Even in Windows like this where you expect a lot of movement you just know we’re going to be the last club to sign anyone.

• 44 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM

It goes without saying we’ve not bid for Lacazette or anyone else for that matter.

Apart from the fact it’s Charnley on the recruitment case, he’ll be showing Ashley what a good lad he is, he’ll not be buying as he’ll be budgeting for relegation. Selling’ll be in the clown’s mind.

There’s no rush to buy anyway, there’s another three weeks of the window left and we don’t want him to be rash and spend money too early on fees and wages.

The fact that we need points’ll be the last thing on the idiot’s mind. And he and Carr’ll be preparing their cases for Ashley to see that McClaren’s to blame for our plight – not the profit driven signings they’ve made at the expense of what the team actually needs and has needed for some time.

• 45 Belfast // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Well that was a pretty eventful read.

Transfer sage & Mister Tiff I think he’s a bad injury record the last few seasons

• 46 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Jib….

• 47 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:47 PM

looks like shelvey would prefer to go to palace than us.

• 48 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Jib……

Give your fingers a rest and try to be constructive rather than being such a troublesome twerp.

• 49 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Lesh

The one thing I will say is that the last time we looked destined for the drop we brought in 5 players during January. Not that they were a great success long term bu they did help us out of bother so maybe the same will happen again.

That’s not a defense of Ashley, just merely saying the man seems to do the bare minimum to keep us in the league.

Ultimately I think the three teams currently in the bottom 3 are the 3 teams who purely try to survive and not to improve (just my opinion) and ultimately deserve to be there…speaking against the owner, I think we all have decent fans.

• 50 Geordie-john // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:49 PM

YEEE HAAA !
    IS THIS THE BEST WE CAN EXPECT ? REMY ? THE ONE THAT COULDN’T WAIT TO GET AWAY FROM SJP.
    NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN WE ARE POSSIBLY GONNA GET HIM BACK JUST SO HE CAN SHOW EVERYONE WHAT HE IS LIKE AND SHOOT AWAY AS SOON AS ANOTHER CLUB COMES ALONG WITH THE PROMISE OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE .
    WE WANT A STRIKER WHO WANTS TO STAY AND PLAY FOR NUFC.
    WHAT WE SHOULD HAVE IS A STRIKER COACH ( ALAN SHEARER ) THAT CAN TEACH OUR PERFECTLY GOOD YOUNG STRIKERS HOW TO CONDUCT THEMSELVES.

• 51 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Listening to McClarens explanation behind the summer spending, he seems to have made a case that players capable of playing for the bigger clubs and teams wanting to compete in Europe can’t be bought under 10 million.

If this has been accepted by Ashley then maybe a compromise might be reached ,where we spend decent money on players that are ready to go straight into the first team and alongside these ,players , some chancier unexposed ones to sell for profit.

• 52 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Sage,

They did make a difference then, but we actually dropped a further place by the end of the season, having only marginally increased our points per game ratio.
    The same ratio of improvement this time round would almost certainly not save us.
    Nice to see you posting regularly again.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Transfer/Belfast – I’d never heard of him either and had to Google him.
    I suppose it shows that fat Sam has identified (as have the rest of football/football world) they have a crap defence and are at least having a go a rectifying an obvious problem.

I only hope that the problems/deficiencies identified by the coaching team at SJP coincide with what a probable majority of the fans think and that something is done about it – and not on the cheap!

• 54 Thump // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM

@EGB: The point isn’t that it was said, the point is that it isn’t the first time, and I find it very difficult to believe that he used “nignog” in an archaic sense, least of all given he was quick to defend himself with a slew of other words that would have made his point more effectively.

This isn’t about political correctness gone mad, it’s about a poster who attacks others regularly, using whatever tactics he can to make himself seem superior to give credence to his point.

• 55 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Bettys

• 56 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Damned phone!

Bettys

I think we’ve all heard and fallen for the things going on behind the scenes claptrap before – as we’ve heard the Couldn’t get them over the line’ baloney!

It’ll be déjà vu all over again

• 57 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Thump

I personally never read it as racist, I just thought of the old term. I understand why people get offended by it and at the same time you need to be aware when using words how they come across and who your audience is.

There are plenty of words which can result in a disciplinary in my work (public sector) which I would never have thought had any racist connotations but their origin is now deemed to be of an offensive nature or they were created by people in the slave trade.

Very difficult to know what will and wont offend now, which is why it’s better to err on the side of caution in a public forum, especially where everything is written and it’s always more difficult to capture the context of what you are trying to say.

• 58 hibbitt // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM

testing testing 123

• 59 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM

BandB

It was only a couple of weeks, I enjoy the conversation with most here…just gets ruined when 200 of the comments are insults talking about how one person’s opinion is more important as they have done x, y or z.

I agree, but like I say, Ashley does the bare minimum to scrape us staying up. That might mean doing more now than previously. As a Championship club we are worth nothing to Ashley and would become a burden…this team would struggle to fight it’s way back up into the prem league in my opinion.

• 60 Mister Tuff // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:01 PM

I should say – if the Mackems get better it increases the possibility of us going down – indeed same applies to others at the bottom.
    Some clubs may put themselves into hock – knowing there is loadsamoney in the summer – to buy players they normally could not afford – to make sure they stay up. We need to get better quality players as we have the cash. Problem is can “the board” judge a quality player.

• 61 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Leash…… My hope is that McC was promised funding when he came and that he is still expecting them to keep their word. He has had enough time now to tell them what more is needed to progress. Whether or not it will be forthcoming is the bid question.

• 62 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Now then Sage, you well? Glad you’re back – you’ve just raised the average poster IQ by a couple of points!

Hear what you’re saying about Ashley and the famous French five but don’t forget he’s left the running of the Club to the football board.

You never can tell though with this crew of charlatans.

• 63 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Jib,

I see you are getting some support.
    Don’t be too encouraged to think you have peer affirmation.
    ‘Bettyswallocks, Essex Bill and Transfer Sage weren’t offended” isn’t going to cut any mustard where I’ll be taking it if it keeps on happening.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:05 PM

And let’s also make it clear that we want Messi, but didn’t put in a bid for him, and he wouldn’t come if we did. We should go down the entire list of players that this applies to, just for clarification Mike.

• 65 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Sorry lesh. Leash spelt itself.

• 66 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Sage,

I do remember the idea that Ashley calculatingly flies lower and lower every year being a subject of conversation between it back in the days when it was me making the suggestion.

• 67 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Is it uncomfortable having your head up your own ar$e Mike? And what about you Steve? Is it helpful in any way? And Lee? I can count three and then you could all pull them out at once. Would that help?

• 68 bettyswallocks // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM

BandB….. Nobody has said it was inoffensive or justified. The guy has apologised that should suffice, but if you want to turn it into a personal crusade that’s your right.

• 69 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM

A development striker coming to the Toon from Basel

Albian Ajeti – half Albanian half Swiss he is one of a pair of twins .

His brother is called Adonis !!!

• 70 JamesToon // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Lacazette, even though not premier league proven, i think he’d be a top signing and is exactly what we need, he will give us the pace up front we are lacking so much, and i’ll think there will be more space for him to get in behind defences in the PL, than there is in ligue 1.

Unfortunately i think the rumour of an £18m bid is b0llocks

• 71 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:10 PM

betty,

You just made the argument that a blog that couldn’t tolerate that kind of stuff wasn’t a proper footy blog. So I don’t care what you think about anything.

• 72 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Lesh

I very much doubt he has really left it to them.

I remember when we signed those five players Ashley took personal credit, saying he got involved to push the deals through. He could easily do that again and claim to have saved us yet again (from his own mismanagement)

Band B

I’m not defending the words jib used, just merely stating that I had heard that word used as he described it. Hence the reason I wasn’t offended and it didn’t really cross my mind until people raised the issue. I remember that word used on Have I Got News For You…Reginald D Hunter was laughing about it saying how us English aren’t even good at creating offensive racist words.

But again, that was used in a discussion, not directed as an insult like Jib did so much more acceptable…Ultimately it’s context with a lot of these thins.

Knowing the double meaning of the word I certainly wouldn’t use it here or anywhere, especially when using it as an insult.

I guess I just like to think that people aren’t actually that bad….I think I may be a little naive haha.

• 73 Essex Geordie Bill // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:11 PM

BandB

Blimey, first time I’ve ever been called and old school type, dunno whether to feel insulted or not.

My school was an old fashioned basic school where people left aged fifteen. One of my best mates was a black kid, so I’ve got no axe to grind either way.

I do get what you are saying, non whites were rare so were a bit of a curiosity.

What I will say (if I have to defend myself) is that an awful lot of the older non whites (mainly Caribbean but a lot of Asians) are just as puzzled by the rise of the PC brigade who jump on any sort of ‘incorrect behaviour’.

• 74 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:15 PM

To all.

I’m over it.
    Could we not agree he has apologised for this kind of thing before and is something of a recidivist once he starts windmilling.
    I hope he won’t do it again, or form the impression from other bloggers that he can do it again next time he feels like it.

• 75 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:20 PM

BandB

I agree he has previous hence why I suggested he won’t get the benefit of the doubt from many.

I don’t want you to think I support the way he speaks to people on the blog, we are all here to discuss football and not insult each other.

He clearly can’t post racist, homophobic or other comments again but in this case I think there is doubt due to the double meaning of the word. At best I’d say it was very misguided and worst it’s downright racist.

• 76 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:23 PM

a point, if I may,

its a blog, we all have our differing views, and opinions… its when the discussion gets to personal sniping that things go awry…

I personally look forward to going to SJP, meeting sir tuff, jib, AC, TS, BandB and the rest, and buying a round for all… this blog means a lot to me, there are no NUFC supporters where I now live, so this is my virtual pub, so to speak… I respect and envy those who live and grew up there, and only wish to learn even more about the club I chose to support, from this side of the pond… itd be a hell of a lot easier to support another club, but, this is what I chose, for life… and I always will…

beers for all 🙂

• 77 John Tudor // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:23 PM

and don’t forget to mention him telling me to fc@k off and die cn@t
    absolute puerile waste of space

• 78 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Have any of the club executives noticed we’re in 18th place after 20 games? I think probably not. They think we are a good mid table team with nothing to worry about. The supporters are deluded thinking we should be signing several players. Carry on then Mike, Lee, Graham, and Steve. Let’s see what happens at the end of the season.

• 79 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:25 PM

I just completely ignore Jib/Jane/Jeff now. It’s working really well for me. WUMs hate it when they’re ignored. Try it mates, you’ll like it! 😆

• 80 Thump // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:26 PM

@dok: Hang on… going to SJP and buying a round… does that mean you’re going to buy a round in “Nine bar”? Fsck me, have you come into money, like? haha

• 81 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Sage

The use of words like “cretinous” and “moronic” to described other people and their views has gone down a lot in recent times.
    Even the hilarious “time of the month” jibe had ceased to be an undoubted coup de grace until quite recently.
    I don’t think it harms debate.

• 82 Ron Knee // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:29 PM

The Great ‘Willo’ possibly going to Sheffield Wed.:

• 83 Munster Mag // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Can anyone tell me what Jin said? Sorry havent been on blog for a day or two…

• 84 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:35 PM

thump,

by al means, hell no, the lottery is up to 450 M here, but I don’t think the wife will let me buy the club,…

I was meaning id buy the ppl I know on the blog a drink, least I can do for everyone putting up with my horrid colonial self (winks at BandB 🙂 )

• 85 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM

ashleys search for a new striker widens.lol

• 86 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Munster
    Please please don’t start it off again, The debate has been going on all day. It’s not worth getting involved in pal… Trust me

• 87 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Dok@74
    Well said mate. Are ya coming over to the mighty Sjp in the near future ??

• 88 Mister Tuff // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Just recalled this from our racist homophobe:-

“Jeff from Benwell // Aug 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    Ciaran
    It is so sad for you that there is no real industry on Tyneside any more
    You might have made a few bob as a rabble rousing union official
    There’s SFA to be made trying to stir up football fans Try selling your bum down the quayside with the other Irish club tossers”.

Some of you vicars and Mother Teresa types could start off a blog “JIB IS INNOCENT CAMPAIGN”.

• 89 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Big news lads! The club has announced they are after Phil Gristle’s brother Gus Gristle, a fine player in his own right. It’s clear a fee of 15 quid is being offered with a wage of 10 pounds a week for 8 years! Our problems are solved lads. Colour me relieved!

• 90 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Dok
    You will probably need subtitles , but this is a tribute to SBR by some Geordie actors .
    A knight to remember

• 91 Mister Tuff // Jan 6, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Mr Tubbs…………………………………………OOT
    Wally Blusterman……………………………….OOT
    Penfold…………………………………………….OOT
    Blog Racist………………………………………..OOT
    Naive Racist Supporters……………………….OOT
    Mother Teresa Types…………………………..OOT

• 92 LGFUAD21 // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Mick Quinn can be a hit and miss journo but his article in the Chron makes some sense.

Why dont we go after Berahino.

He’s undoubtedly got talent.

He’s into the last year and a half of his contract – usually this is when clubs sell or extend and crucially he’s not playing and Pulis seems sick of him.

He can play on the wing or up top and his touch is first class.

• 93 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Tuff

Not supporting Jib, just this one particular instance where it is conceivable that he didn’t mean it in a racist manner. I don’t like to make such serious allegations unless I am sure that’s what somebody meant.

BandB

Agree that he, along with plenty of others here, do not speak very well to people and use insults instead of discussing a point at times.

Anyway, had my say on the lot now, that’s me done.

• 94 Rotonda heights // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:03 PM

a racist, sexist homophobe calling people t—–s with kids reading this. His mum must be so proud.

• 95 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:03 PM

LGFUAD

He insulted west brom, said he wouldn’t play for them again and is hit and miss with training as they wouldn’t give him a move to a bigger club.

Why would he be any different with us

• 96 Rotonda heights // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM

lifeguard

berahino’s put on a lot of timber

• 97 sparky55 // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:05 PM

All I can say is thank god that Lacazette rumour is a load of bollox…he is exactly what we don’t need and would be no better than bringing Arma back.

I’d rather see daft lad come back for £18 million…he wouldn’t have missed any of the Headers winji, Mitro and SDJ missed and we’d be at least 4 points better off.

We should be concentrating on the likes of Campbell, Remy, Daft lad, Gnabry, Naismith, Townsend, Chadli Berahino along with a good centre half and good CDM from wherever but would rather the CDM had premiership experience…someone like Nigel de Jong

• 98 firebug666 // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:06 PM

To All

I would just like to point out that because I accepted Jib’s apology and gave him the benefit of the doubt that does not mean that I condone what he has said in any way shape or form.

I was one of the first to have a go at him over his remark, and would not have let it drop, but for his apology which to me seems sincere.

As I stated earlier it seems that it was Jib’s stupidity rather than any malice in which he posted that derogatory word.

I also stated that while I don’t like jib because of some of his comments, he did man up and apologise, and for that he deserves some credit.

Just because some of you have an axe to grind with him, does not give you any right to class those that have accepted his apology in the same boat as him.

I have several friends of Asian and African origins and two of them are very close friends. I would also imagine that we have some readers and posters who are also in those minorities.

What Jib said is indefensible whether in a none racist context or not is open to debate.

I agree with an earlier post, “if we had less sniping and name calling on the blog these things wouldn’t arise.

Jib was wrong, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, that does not tar me with the same brush.

• 99 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Sage

There’s othing wrong with all the tricks, “dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and ….satire.”
    It is sometimes tedious, and sometimes it keeps the blog amused. Everyone can’t be nice to everyone all the time.
    There’s a distinction between that and flat abuse.

• 100 lochinvar // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM

More exciting than Newcastle’s Transfer Window.

• 101 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM

A couple of weeks ago Jib made the best joke I’ve seen on here for ages. But I never remember jokes.

• 102 LGFUAD21 // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Sage

Thats why we should go for him. Give him the platform he needs/deserves to achieve his potential.

He’ll never get that at West Brom

• 103 sparky55 // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Surely the simple solution is to completely ignore those that are prepared to go to such depths…let them argue with themselves and have even more alias’ to keep themselves company.

Never rise to it lads…that’s what people like that feed off…just let it slide and ignore them.

• 104 Offkey // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:19 PM

jib is truly an idiot……but never ignore racist remarks, others of similar intelligence will believe it is acceptable to say these things

• 105 RUNAWAY777 // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Sunderand about to sign full back and we wait for what nowt we are muppets and the fat man pulld our strings and don’t dare say we aren’t we still true out week in week out

• 106 Offkey // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:21 PM

You believed the fat man lol

• 107 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Jib knows before he posts that his choice of insults will cause controversy but that he will have some defence when it comes to it. Like Jib, I was waiting for someone to bite. It took a while. (I’m currently reading and catching up.)

My manager in the 80’s, an ex-army major, used to use the expression in the sense of being a silly person. Jib wasn’t using it in an overtly, directly racial way (he doesnt know the blogger’s race). He was using its dual meaning to get a reaction.

People are offended by so much these days. Fan hierarchy has been mentioned on here today. Even I now use the term “armchair fan” sparingly on here because it stirs up a hornet’s nest.

It doesn’t mean, by using the term, I’ve got anything against armchair fans. Armchair fans are armchair fans; it is what they are. I’m one myself some days. I welcome all fans who follow NUFC. I’m truly impressed by Dok’s viewing schedule and his burning desire to get to the derby. I’m not saying that anyone’s support and love for the club is any more valid.

But I don’t support or love the club because it’s an EPL club or because of anything particularly appealing about the club itself. I support it because it’s my local club and it represents local pride. That will be the case whatever success or failure we have. I think a large element of the fans are the same. We won’t stay away because the owner is useless or makes a mockery of us.

I do think some fans are better fans than others, no matter whether they’re local or foreign. The fans who follow the team home and away are the lifeblood of the club. They are better fans than I am. If any of them told me that I would not be offended.

Those fans are proving their dedication. They are acting in the real world not the virtual world. The players don’t hear me when I’m sitting in the pub urging them on. I haven’t spent a fortune on following the club or sat on a bus all day. I have other priorities.

I go to watch youngsters. The people who stand on the line in all weathers make the game what it is. The more fans at a game, any game, the bigger the game. Ironically, the bigger the game, the bigger the spectacle for tv audiences. I love to see youngsters progress and do well. That’s why Jack Root was right to defend me against criticism that I have anything against Mitro or Perez. I’m not saying they won’t make it at NUFC. Just that it’s completely incompetent to think you can run with them for this season.

We’re now in a proper pickle courtesy of the wise men at the club. Charnley and Carr are now caught with their pants down. I am enjoying that aspect of it and keenly waiting to see what they come up with. It should be good.

• 108 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Oh no someone has just called us all muppets…..Bring out the blog police????

• 109 Munster Mag // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Jazzy I appreciate that you dont want to start it all again, but can you tell me the title of the thread where Jib made the remark and i will go look? Tks gents..

• 110 JAMSHA // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM

lets wait for nxt transfer window

• 111 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Does anyone recall the speculation and debate about the possibility of signing PEA a few years back ?
    We were linked strongly with him but, apparently, he was just out of our price bracket.
    Several bloggers felt – rightly as it has proved – he was worth the punt and going up a few extra million to secure his services – but it seemed he didn’t fit our business model.
    Now we can see several clubs like the Gooners and Liverpool drooling over him with a price tag that would have almost certainly have given us a £25-30m profit.
    So for £3-5m more than our price valuation he would have provided our asset trading owner with a massive profit – and almost certainly have scored enough goals to keep us well out of relegation trouble in the last few seasons.
    It’s the penny pinching; unwillingness to go for quality; and bidding on lower than market valuations that has seen us fail in the transfer market so many times and is a major reason why we are where we are.

• 112 toon kk // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Mash may or may not strengthen in this window, it’s a tough decision! He knows 50,000 don’t mind paying too watch dross, many fans didn’t want a team that wins as long as it tries, well we’ve tried a little harder lately and certainly don’t win very often.
    Yep definitely a tough one!!!!!!!

• 113 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Munster
    It’s in the do or die thread mate

• 114 Sliema // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Angels

This happened with PEA, and Wilfred Bony, and indeed Lacazzette a few times already. We won’t put up the extra cash which can be needed to get someone that little bit better. Ash’s own greed costing him profit.

• 115 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Hearing of the sad death of Christy O’Connor Jr reminds me I normally post his by Christy Moore at Christmas time – a bit late sorry

• 116 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Sliema

I’m trying to think of it in Ashley’s terms now.

He might have seen players like Suarez bought for 25mil and sold for 60mil (I think) Bony be bought for 14mil then sold for 30, Lukaku was 24mil for everton but would be worth a lot more in the current market.

He might go for a more expensive player and hope that when or if we cash in it’s for a greater return as well as making it easier for us to stay in the prem.

• 117 John Tudor // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Aleksandar Lacazette
    quote roughly translated
    newcastle thats where french careers go to die fc@k off

• 118 welshgeordie9 // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Good evening ladies and gents any news today or has it been quiet.

• 119 Bambams // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Back to football….
    I see our preparation has suited us well…..links all over but we just know we will go cap in hand back to Remy and hope he signs !
    To me, nothing against his ambitions but if he signs he will only be waiting for another club .
    We need good players but also ones who want to play not just showcase

Could be worse…JFK would be watching the young geordie born striker at Coventry

• 120 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:08 PM

angelswithdirtyfaces…I think the problem was Dortmund was also interested and Newcastle doesn’t like competition because it drives the price up!

…the way Ashley operates thus club is definitely costing us money!

• 121 Jack Root // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Blackley
    It’s good to know that I have interpretated something you’ve said correctly. I confess maybe that’s not always the case.
    Moving on and to the Jib incident. As a long time reader of the blog, what I want to focus on is the suggestion that it is or could become the last bastion of white male supremacy. This railing against ‘ white men’ and their existences has become the stock-in -trade of many feminists.
    My experience leads me to believe that the most derided and less successful social group is the young white men. Particularly the young working class white men. My experience of this group on away days watching NUFC confirms this belief.
    Jib was out of order but let’s not join those on social media that are always looking to be offended. Let’s just forgive but not forget.

• 122 geordieboy83 // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:11 PM

See Bournemouth are being linked with a loan move for Stephen El sharwaay.

1. If Bournemouth achieve that I’ll eat my left nut
    2. We should be trying
    3. Isn’t he already on loan somewhere?

• 123 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Angel et al

Yup, for a few extra quid, we could’ve had PEA, Delli Alli and others.

I think it’s safe to assume that Charnley and Ashley don’t have a clue about player values. So, who’s advising them?

Will you please give a big hand for the world’s font of all football knowledge, the incomparable Graham Carr.

It’s funny, auto correct took me to ‘incompetent’ as I keyed in incomparable.

• 124 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Bambams

I fear because of our predicament The likes of Remy might be our best hope.
    If it wasn’t for the sour taste in the way he left us we would be welcoming him with open arms.
    Cabaye left in the same fashion but again I would have loved to have brought this guy back

• 125 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:21 PM

I accept jibs apology, I do think it says somewhere, he who is without sin, buys the 1st round… or something to that effect…

moving on, I hope we realize, while we all have differing opinions, we are still and should always be Newcastle United….

• 126 Jack Root // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:23 PM

It’s because of Ashley policy and practice. Carsick – ex Wallsend boys club said a few years ago that he would never join Newcastle. Alli had countless offers. As Tuff said were not an attractive proposition, we need to change the image of the club. Other team fans and Guardian readers know that.

• 127 geordie157 // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Bournemouth trying to loan el-shawraary

• 128 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:23 PM

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew //…the way Ashley operates thus club is definitely costing us money!

Who are the “us”

Mrs Jesper and you ?

You and Geordie 2 ?

Den danske finansminister, og du?

eller hvem?

• 129 cyprus // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:26 PM

A bit cynical accusing the club of now paying big to sell bigger!

If they start buying super expensive top players it’s hats off. They mean business, it will mean. Nothing evil there. Of course the key word is IF.

• 130 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Dok

Exactly…everything at the minute descends into insults purely because somebody doesn’t agree with others.

I don’t get it, If I continue to make a point and somebody doesn’t accept it, regardless of how much evidence I use then I just move on, let them be as they clearly don’t want a discussion.

Most here are happy to share ideas and accept when they are mistaken, it doesn’t bother me if somebody knows more on a particular subject than I do.

I just don’t get why half the blog these days is daft name calling. I’m with you, we should talk football and remember we are all here as we support Newcastle United. (Well apart from that mackem who comes on every time they beat us, but he is good fun, harmless ribbing).

• 131 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Cyprus

I was just considering it using the model that many fans believe we operate under…buy to sell.

Maybe we see that we’d get better results and a profit as oppose to just a profit.

• 132 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM

TS,

I also think that when we are all despondent, due to the clubs lack of success, we turn on each other as well… if we ever win a cup, the blog will explode in chaos hahah

• 133 Thump // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Can we just move on from Jib now? It’s a terribly interesting discussion, I’m sure. Whether he intended it or not means very little at this stage and it’s his word against others. If you accept his apology: fantastic, if not: fantastic. Either way it’s your prerogative.

In short: Let’s get back to hate loving Newcastle.

• 134 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Dok

A lot have packed in now, it’s such a shame.

I think the fact the club repeats it’s doomed, boring cycle every year doesn’t help, you are definitely right with that one.

• 135 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Blackley – just waiting for someone to pick up on jibs comment? Why? Nice to rake up the ashes of the better fan argument again btw. You’re clearly not into mischief making I see.

Jack Groot – interesting social slant. But cranked. The now-famous comment was as Blackley observed a sly pea-shooter job. He knew it had double meaning like everyone in the land does. It was no accident. Btw I tire of the pc brigade too but I don’t avoid the obvious snide of a troublemaker.

Anyway let’s not get into banning mode just yet, gone but not forgotten, eh? Until the final nail, Jib.

• 136 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM

I recall when we went deep into Europa, how we were all, no matter where in the world we all were, watching to see who we drew next..

that was a great time… and I long for it again soon…

• 137 Jack Root // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Tsunki
    Are you just looking for a dispute- only kidding. Blackley was referring to my comment much earlier of his reading back in September that we would lack firepower going forward.
    Nothing to do with any incident.
    What’s with the name calling!

• 138 Munster Mag // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Lesh this is what i have been saying for so long. More than that, who does charnley go to for advice on a managerial change? Carr of course. This club is run by carr and ashley . Penfold isnt even a bit player.

• 139 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Jib

You need to understand that, colloquially, as football supporters often identify strongly with their club, they often use the first person plural and often even a possessive pronoun or two. There really is nothing worth your criticism when Jesper uses the royal ‘we’ when discussing the Toon.

You’re still hungry like the wolf I see

• 140 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Our 3rd last match of the season – what the spanish call antepenultima – is Crystal Palace at home .

I hope we are in better nick than now.

If I was Pardew and we are still in the shit I would wear a PardewOut T shirt.

• 141 toon22 // Jan 6, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Was wondering,if fatso only wants us as an advert for his tacky shops why hasnt he sold us and with the profits buy another prem club ?
    He could probs buy Villa for half what he gets for us.

So he must also make money from the club and not just from his adverts.

• 142 Our Toon // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Interesting that conflicting reports are out on this bid or no bid or rejection….can’t keep up. Either way we need movement on something.

As for the jib comment, offended yes as my parents were subjected to such words when they first moved to the UK, do I accept his apology….yes I do, I don’t think he meant it but it’s a case of getting a reaction which he has got but he’s apologised….let’s move on. As for pc brigade etc. The only thing I’ll say is if you haven’t been on the receiving end of such vile terms then it’s harder to understand exactly why people get offended, my religion teaches to forgive and I will do so in this instance.

We are all toon fans, some we like some we don’t but one thing no one can deny is our love for the toon……now sign some players man HWTF!!

• 143 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM

TS
    “I can’t remember when I signed up…it was January 2012 or maybe 2013. The debate was so much better, people actually discussed football a lot and there were many posters with good insight and transfer rumours.”

I can remember you getting aright slagging for being an ITK – very unfairly I thought at the time – when all you were really doing was passing on titbits you’d heard. Other posters suffered the same fate and disappearred – our very knowledgeable friend in sports medicine in France for one. (his moniker escapes me for the moment).

Yes the blog has really suffered a severe bout of intolerance, even pure malice and spite. It is clear who those responsible for this downshifting are. It drags a lot of other previously sensible folk down too, though.

• 144 Rotonda heights // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:06 PM

tyson fury

remind you of anyone

• 145 Munster Mag // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Jib, i just read the N comment. I normally dont have any quarrels with you but that was awful. But apology written so lets leave it at that guys.

• 146 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:09 PM

angels

I remember who you mean, I have forgotten his name too…began with a T I think.

I never minded the stick I got. You know when you begin posting bits of info that some won’t like it, got to take the comments on the chin really. I know a few enjoyed the info I had at the time.

Our Toon

Basically the blog needs to be better policed. It ran itself almost in the past. Ed needs to start handing out bans for abusive comments to other posters. Either short term bans or longer term IP address bans to prevent people being on here who have no intention of following his code of conduct.

• 147 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Munster

Good evening, how do you think we will fair in the transfer market this month?

Think Ashley will repeat his actions of a few years ago and try to buy us out of trouble, or will he just stick with what we have and hope they turn a few reasonable performances into results.

• 148 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Our Toon
    Very generous
    You are an example to everyone.

• 149 croftus5678 // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:16 PM

this lads a bit beyond our reach imo !

lets not forget we have shot ourselves in the foot some what as if a fair few of our fans think we will get relegated (myself not included as i think even with our current squad we will still be fine) then potential signings may think the same so i dont expect top top players through the door unfotunatly 🙁

loik is too greedy to come imo and happy to sit on the bench and cash his cheques.

and jonjo should be able to find a nice steady no risk of going down mid table team and the same goes for austin.

players who want to come to the prem and is worth the risk to them are the players we will sign imo ! saviet / rolan / nkoulou ect

• 150 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Jib

Not that you need my advice or anyone preaching to you.

All I would say is that when posting something which could be controversial people will probably jump the negative conclusion given the way you insult some members of the blog.

You have some good discussions at times, just cut back on the insults and this place is a much better place to be.

• 151 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Croftus

The only thing I’d say works in our favour with Remy is that he scored goals when here before, playing regularly on loan would benefit us as we could keep out money for the actual players we want in the summer and not a short term fix. It would also benefit Remy as regular game time could get him a spot in the Euro’s….we’ve had a few French boys make the national squad playing for us so he knows the manager would be watching.

• 152 Ravostag // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Can you see us signing anyone that will immediately get us out of the mire? We should be signing championship players who can hit the ground running and when we get relegated can help us get back. Dont forget Palace Watford Leics and Bournemouth are full of those type of playersand are all doing ok. Remy Austin etc will never move North

• 153 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

jib,

I have a solution for you to end this topic… care to hear it?

• 154 nightfa11 // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Bournemouth after el sharaawy?:-)

• 155 croftus5678 // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM

@151 ts

i agree with every word of that tbh.

he imo is a great player and a perfect match for us and him but i still think he’s too greedy to take the option lol.

• 156 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Transfer Sage

Yup you are right

I talk to people on here like I’m in a pub in North Shields after a shift at Smiths Dock – shoulders are not so broad here I guess .

• 157 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Dok
    Do tell ( hides under table )

• 158 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Ravostag

You never know. Remy might not move her permanently but a loan could be useful.

If we are buying from abroad we need to buy players who are currently good, not players who have the potential to be good.

• 159 JamesToon // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Nightfa

Bournemouth are a very well run club now with ambition, I fear they could overtake us unless we sort out our own problems, how embarrassing would that be

• 160 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Howdy folks

• 161 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Jib

The difference is people in your local will know you and what you are like. I imagine you mix with people who share similar views or at least happy to discuss things in a similar manner.

A blog like this is multinational, you have people from all kinds of backgrounds so always better to just be a bit more respectful as insults (even in a jovial tone) do not always come over as intended.

• 162 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Jamestoon

I said earlier the three clubs in the bottom (Villa, Sunderland and us) almost deserve to go down as we are the only three clubs who appear to try and survive year after year. All other clubs try to improve, even if they sell players they buy replacements and try to push on.

• 163 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:29 PM

11BandB // Jan 5, 2016 at 10:23 PM

It’s like when you consolidate all of your old loans into one new loan.
    The interest rate you pay comes down, but the overall debt has gone up.

*************************************************

As I say, I don’t know why anyone constantly hits Ashley for everything. Because he’s the bogeyman? It doesn’t help your cause to exaggarate claims or misrepresent your opposition. You just lose credibility.

Ashley has paid off the third party loans using his own money. Instead of paying interest at a commercial rate on a very large amount, the club pays no interest. Any reasonable person would see that as a good thing.

The debt going up has nothing to do with consolidating loans. Consolidating loans helps to stop debts ballooning. The debt went up because of relegation. Relegation is inevitable in football; it’s built in. NUFC has suffered it many times and just avoided it many times too.

Ashley was taking a big risk in taking on big money players contracts, those of Owen, Viduka, Martins, Smith, Duff etc. You look at the names and the money and Ashley can be forgiven for wondering how we got relegated. As a rookie, you could even look at Joe Kinnear’s c.v.and Shearer ‘s. Even Stuart Pearce thought it was great left field thinking to play David James as a target man. And Graeme Souness to play George Weah’s cousin because he was George Weah’s cousin.

The fact Ashley didn’t do due diligence has been used ad nauseum as a stick to beat him with. Can anyone explain to me how that omission is in any way detrimental to the club? I keep asking the usual candidates but nothing ever comes. It all goes quiet. Great if you have a reason. Let’s hear it.

As a billionaire owner, Ashley is a major asset to the club’s financial security. If things go tits up through relegation, the club might never recover. It might even go to the wall. With long, onerous player contracts and the loss of EPL revenue, the club could very quickly become insolvent.

Can you imagine if one of us was worth £200m and that was just enough to buy the club, but meant we had to live in a one bedroom upstairs flat in Swalwell? Would anyone put all their own wealth into buying their favourite football club knowing how risky a business it is.

Ashley has used his financial strength to avoid the club sinking into oblivion. He financed a promotion campaign at great risk. That’s why the debt increased. But the club doesn’t feel the weight of the debt because it’s interest free. The only way the club is in peril is if Ashley turns against the club and its fans, such that he thinks it’s no longer worth the aggravation. Or if Ashley himself suffers bankruptcy.

That’s why I don’t buy this argument about advertising and SD. Any business who wants a service, such as advertising, pays for the advertising. It shops around to get the same exposure for the least outlay. Supply and demand. There’s a lot of supply in sports all over the world. It’s competitive. Why would you pay 20 plus times your annual advertising budget of say £10m to buy a football club when you could get what you want for £10m a year. Folk who buy micro breweries don’t do it because they want free beer for life, even if it is a nice little thought.

At the moment Ashley is the club’s sugar daddy. He packs his boy off to boarding school and has little else to do with him except to respond to the occasional letter from the boy, the bursar and the head, who only writes in emergencies.

We’ve had far worse owners than Ashley. Criticise him for the football, the adminstration, and the finances. There’s so much to criticise him for. But let’s keep it real.

• 164 Krul To Be Kind // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I’m an ex poster and a very long term reader of the blog and I just can’t get my head around how people can not get along.

I for one although haven’t really engaged find Jib’s posts informative however he is often caught on the back foot with every post drawing criticism from what I would refer to as bullies.

BandB, I enjoy most of your informative and intellectual posts but when you get ‘back-up’ in the form of other posters when Jib is around you can be very cutting and scathing.

I find this as an extreme form of bullying. I never got bullied but I absolutely hate bully’s. This is clearly seen in historical dialogue on the blog. You found his comment inoffensive but where I am from the term means idiot, needless to say I’m not a local from the north east.

It seems to me that you have it in for Jib and look to clash horns with the lad/lass at some point everytime I read a series of your posts.

If someone is indirectly racist and man enough to apologise when brought to his attention I find this far more sufferable than a blatant bully who is sycophantic in approach.

In short there is more examples of bullying from you on this blog than there is ‘perceived racist remarks’ from Jib… in essence if you live in a glass house, don’t be clauding no bricks BandB.

Anyhow I’m going back into hiding and I definitely wouldn’t want to be losing someone like Jib from the blog as his google groundwork brings up a lot of points and IN MY OPINION, the lad has a good footballing knowledge.

Oh and lastly a message to OURTOON, his prior post shows him to be a real man as obviously the post SHOULD have offended him given history but he rose above it and offered forgiveness. That is a true humble man!

• 165 Krul To Be Kind // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:59 PM

just to rephrase in case I invite a complaint about me, I will change the term real man to a person who shows true humanity.

I don’t want to be perceived as a sexist now would I?!

• 166 BandB // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:27 AM

Krul

You assume I am white, and have all white relatives and friends?

• 167 BandB // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:45 AM

Racism wasn’t a problem for my parents.
    But it is part of my daily life, here and now. I see it inflicted on my most precious loved ones and on innocent children. Most of it casual.
    I fear it, today more than ever before. It is a growing threat to the future of my own family and it scares me.
    As Offkey said earlier, when one says it, others will think its okay to say it too, and others will defend their right to say it.

• 168 BandB // Jan 7, 2016 at 2:26 AM

Krul

You know, this debate today has left me struggling to sleep.
    It has revealed things about sections this blog I didn’t realise were so widespread.
    My kids have come home having heard that word bandied around them, or having been called it to their faces.
    What do I tell them? That it’s just a 17th century English word for stupid, only latterly widely applied to describe black people in general?
    I have been kicked out of bed at dawn by uniformed men in visors, claiming to be acting on information. I have seen my flesh and blood children terrified and crying as a result. They never apologise for the mistake.
    I wonder if you can imagine what this is like?
    I’ve mentioned it on the blog once before, if only because the notion that this is all just harmless banter that hurts nobody has been advanced before.
    Should I just say nothing, or clear off “because it’s a footy blog so it’s alright, then?”
    Football has been trying to get rid of this image. It appears to have failed.
    You know, from my perspective, this feels like me trying to stand my ground. And I don’t cover a lot of it. I don’t feel like a bully.
    Jib and I generally have some to and fro. I don’t think even in that most neutral people would categorise me as the aggressor. If I can think of a sharp retort, should I hold it back in case it upsets long time readers who want to see their favourite bloggers wiping the floor with everyone?
    I’ll put the light out now, and try again.
    Good night Krul, and happy new year.

previous post: It’s Fast Becoming Do Or Die For This Man