Mystery Newcastle Bid

Well it looks like we’ve had our excitement for today after news that Newcastle were after Lyon striker Aleksandar Lacazette as reported by French daily L’Equipe.

News after the reports started to come through that we had offered a record €25M for the French International striker is that Newcastle are mystified by the reports.

Alexandre-Lacazette

Lyon striker Aleksandar Lacazette – no bid?

In addition this morning there was a report from the Press Association (PA) that while Newcastle are obviously interested in Lacazette – no bid has in fact been launched.

We suppose Newcastle could still bid for the Frenchman but our best bet right now seems to be to get Loic Remy on loan for the season.

It seems our biggest competition for Loic is from Crystal Palace and it would be another blow if former manager Alan Pardew persuades Loic to join Palace in loan for the rest of the season.

Loic would be just great for us – if we can get him.

• hibbitt

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM

doc the guys a WUM takes pleasure in upsetting people and should just ignorEd ……….are new motto should be JIB OUT .COM

• Jib

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Dok
    I’m sorry
    I hadn’t realised Tsunki had done an impression of Loki.
    I thought you were referring to past rascist remarks which you alleged I made.
    You were included in my generic apology but this one is just for you.
    Truly sorry for any offence today and previously , other than the hurly burly of rigorous argument , no offence was intended.

• manxpie

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Hmmm reports saying bid accepted but he turned us down
    So which is it?

• bettyswallocks

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Jib….. It was an insensitive comment but fair play for your apology which seems sincere. This blog is definitely spiced up by your posts although somewhat controversial especially when things are quiet ,and I for one would hate to see you driven off.

• nightfa11

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:56 PM

if we did bid for him..i guess he is interested..
    we follow him for years now, so im sure the club communicates with him..so its just a matter if some other club he prefers makes a bid.. arsenal are out, cos they want aubameyang.. as for others..who knows..

• Jib

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM

If nothing else it shows we a re sniffing around Europe looking for a striker.
    Looking below is worrying.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Would be typical Newcastle to try and spend 20 odd million on this player and overlook other players such as Remy and Austin etc before its too late

We will try all window and then get denied only too miss out on everyone else we really need !!

• catchy in norway

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM

jib

Call me what you like, its in my best interest that you do, it shows others that you dont have an argument about any of the points you are trying to make, all you try and do is bring what ever ” intelligente” debate down to your level by trying to see football or what ever your on about though your eyes, which for most of us just dont seem to see.

• davetoon

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM

I hope we have many irons in the fire as this certainly wont be the last no answer we receive.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Catchy……. Glad to see you didn’t take offence . That should put the matter to bed as he has apologised, he can’t do more other than leave.

More importantly we are now at the biggest crossroads our club has encountered for a long time. Does Ashley invest in a serious way to move the club forward. Does he invest just enough to survive or does he do nowt and hope to cling on.

The next few weeks will tell us all we need to know about his intentions.

• davetoon

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM

I wonder if we could get demba ba back from China on loan for the rest of the season. Could do a lot worse.

• Thump

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM

@LCBP: Are you trying to say we won’t get Lacazette “over the line”?

• Mister Tuff

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Jib sincere after his umpteenth racist comment. Not to mention his homophobic comments.
    Some of you boys make me puke – oh I didn’t know he said that, oh I wasn’t on the blog that day, oh I must have missed that post, oh I was on holiday then.
    Oh I crossed the road didnt see the old granny getting mugged -blah blah blah.

First time – okay possible mistake.
    Umpteenth time -along with other abuse -no mistake -clear intention.

• BandB

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Firebug,

The blog is read by men, woman and children of all ethnicities and faiths all over the world.
    It not a crowd of white lads watching strippers before the match in 1973.
    I’ve screen-shotted it along with previous example in the past.
    I don’t care who the author or authors are.
    I won’t be the one who’ll be finding out.

• Jack Root

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Pardew is trying to sign Shelvey. He worked with him during their time at Charlton.. If we are planning a bid then we need to get our act together. Palace are also interested in a centre back and a striker. They are also said to be interested Ashley Williams who would be excellent for us.
    I know Palace are having a good season and I read Mr Tuff’s post about us not attracting this type of player but I trust we’re making an effort. I have not heard that we’ve had offers turned down.

• Chancel Mbemba

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM

We need someone who is experienced in the premier league, not some ‘might be good enough’ player who wouldn’t come to is anyway. We’re wasting our time with this guy.

• Tsunki

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Ah you’ve resumed intelligibility I..er…Jack. Good to see. Keep the football related coming.

• Tsunki

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:32 PM

it’s not a mystery it’s rubbish. it’s one of the shortest of Eds article titles though.

• nightfa11

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:34 PM

i dont want austin, he has a good goal ratio, but hes a poacher like cisse..with 1 season in epl..his other clubs were: Kintbury Rangers, Hungerford Town, Thatcham Town, Poole Town, Swindon Town, Burnley. not impressive..and considering noone is bidding for him, im not the only one who sees him average..either that, or hes a dick..and noone wants him for his attitude.. whatever it is..i think we can do better..as does every club..like i said..noone is bidding for him..which is kind of weird..so there must be a good reason behind it..

• BandB

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM

So it’s variously reported that he isn’t for sale, wouldn’t come, and we haven’t bid for him.
    So just three weeks more of excited speculation before he fails to be spotted anywhere in the vicinity of” the line.”

• Jack Root

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Tsunki
    Stop. Your becoming boring which is not good for a comedian.

• Thump

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:42 PM

@BandB: Rather than using screenshots, I would suggest using archive.is, finding the comment, and highlighting it. It grabs a full snapshot of the webpage (including context) and links directly to the comment in question.

For example.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:46 PM

There does appear to be activity going on behind the scenes and McC seems to be implying in his interviews that there are serious ambitions in place backed up by transfer funds.

I just find it hard to imagine that Ashley will go against his instincts and pay over the odds for a player on footballing grounds , as oppose to seeking his pound for pound value. If we get the right players in as well as value for money then we can maybe do a Leicester. I somehow think that’s our only hope. Only time will tell.

• BandB

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Thump,

I’ll bear that in mind in future.
    Though I’m hoping that this time there isn’t an “in future.”
    Sometimes the comments disappear, while the culprits remain.

• nightfa11

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Jetro
    Xhaka
    Lacazette

That would be sth 😀

Probably dream world.. But..if we convince one, others might start to belive in the project and might follow..

Or we can just give zlatan 10 mio for 6 months..im sure the club would get its money back in selling jerseys alone 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:05 PM

betty

to do a leicester we need a good manager

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM

My last comment is awaiting moderation, probably because I used a non PC term. Oh well!

By the way I’d rather we signed AC than Lacazette.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Just in case my long winded efforts don’t get passed, I’ve changed the offending (I think) words in question.

Repeat

Personally I think there has been a massive over reaction to Jibs comments.

It’s typical of the ridiculous PC age in which we live where a young man gets a fine for trying to chat up an attractive woman on camera.

If you don’t like what he says then ignore him.

I reckon most of what he says which is provocative is probably meant tongue in cheek.

One of the most ironic things I’ve heard about lately is a black man selling ‘black fluffy dolls’ in, I believe Hastings. He wasn’t the least bit phased about it.

I reckon the latest South Park episodes put the whole PC thing in proper perspective, as a load of nonsense.

I just want add that it would be a disgrace if Cecil Rhodes statue was removed from Oriel College.

We might as well invite the wrecking crew from the Middle East in to raze all of our ancient monuments staring with Stonhenge.

Oh and by the way if anyone finds my comments offensive, I humbly apologise in advance.

• Average_Contents

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Egb

I’d be all for it mate but at 33 I’ve got a feeling I don’t fit the club’s blueprint 😉

• dok - the horrid colonial

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:19 PM

is there a pot where we all chip in, and bet on the date of the 1st signing? id happily donate my winnings to SBR foundation, or perhaps part donated to welshie’s dad medical expenses…

• dok - the horrid colonial

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:20 PM

im in for 10, and bet well have a signing the4th from last day of the window…

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM

AC

🙂

• BandB

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Essex,

I probably think Ed needs to decide whether his blog is aimed at a modern, international audience, or is a bastion of all-white, all-male 1970’s tap-room “banter.”
    I know you old school types don’t see the harm in it.
    You never did.
    If he chooses the latter, then I imagine the staff and pupils at his very decent old alma mater in Walker and his former colleagues at IBM won’t find particular pride in the associations with them he claims.

• davis_toons

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Nampalys_Mendy, DM, NICE (compared to former French international Claude Makélélé – Monaco club scout Didier Christophe referred to Mendy as a “carbon copy” of.)

Slightly short for height but good distribution of the ball.

Play a good game VS PSG. (HBA was in there as well)

• Transfer Sage

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Well I can’t say how Jib meant his comment, I know he has had previous which is why a lot of people won’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

I’ve heard the term used before to mean idiot/simpleton and not as a racial insult.

See below, it comes from the older slang nigmenog (“a very silly fellow,” from the 1700s.

This is exactly the reason I took a few weeks break from the blog and spoke with Ed about conduct. If we all just debate opinions on all things NUFC and not insult people, no matter what we think of their views, this sort of thing won’t happen.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Rotunda……… People laughed at and wrote off Ranieri when he came and Leicester were favourites to go down. It shows how unpredictable this season is.

At least he allows the players to play freely and express their attacking skills, but there again there was no pressure or expectation other than trying to avoid relegation.

• bladeuser

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:30 PM

same old deluded tripe from the sheep why for once can u not see the only ones that will come are loans and players that no other ambitious teams want for F@@@ sake it happens every window wake the F@@@ up will u
    ASH OUT
    SMAC OUT
    COLO OUT
    SHEEP ? Out

• Transfer Sage

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM

On topic….

Hopefully we can get three good players in during this window as a minimum, a commanding CB in the Shawcross mold, a quality ball playing centre mid along the lines of cabaye and also a genuine goal threat.

I’d go Williams of Swansea as a CB, enquire about Carrick from man utd (even if a loan) and then go for Remy up top (or Lacazette but can’t see him coming).

We could in theory loam Remy and Carrick (both not playing a lot in recent weeks) and look for our established targets in the summer instead of panic, short term buys now.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Betty

You could argue there was a lot of pressure on Leicester and Ranieri. They were relegation favourites (or very close, one of the three I put money on to go down). Ranieri also had something to prove in English football, he was almost laughed at when appointed.

I agree though, he does give them freedom but they also work extremely hard, closing and chasing back all over the pitch. You often see Mahrez attempt a pass in the final third then be the man tackling the winger around his own box….great energy.

• Jib

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Sam Byram from Leeds – targeted by NUFC Everton and The Mackems is going to sign for West Ham apparently 🙁
    £10 million