The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Interested In Signing Star International Left-Back

8:25 pm, Wednesday, January 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 192 Comments

Newcastle United have had an interest in PSV left back Jetro Willems last summer and there were various reports we were trying to sign him at that time.

Chief scout Graham Carr has been tracking the 21 year-old and the youngster has already been capped 15 times by the Netherlands since making his debut in May four years ago against Bulgaria when he had only just turned 18.

He was the fourth-youngest player ever to play for the Netherlands and the youngest ever player to play for them at the Euros – when he played in 2012 in the Championships that were co-hosted by Poland and Ukraine.

jetro willemks wilmwpsv

Jetro Willems – Graham Carr keen on this player

There’s news today that Newcastle are still very keen on this youngster, but he’s missed all season so far with a knee ligament injury he sustained during a training session in pre-season.

Initially he was expected to be out from eight to ten weeks but that period has been extended and he is not expected back until next month at best.

So the best Newcastle can do is wait until the summer to try to sign him.

Left back is a weakness in the Newcastle defense right now and currently local lad Paul Dummett is the starter in that position and  Frenchman Massadio Haidara is out and not back until around April with a serious knee injury.

But some top clubs are after him including Manchester United and Liverpool.

Willems was in the Netherlands team that won the UEFA European U17 Championships back in 2011 and he also made the final cut into the 23-man squad for the Euro 2012 tournament, as we mentioned earlier.

But he did not make the final cut for the Netherlands World Cup squad eighteen months ago in Brazil because of a knee injury.

Willems’ contract runs out in 18 months time and Newcastle may even get a decent deal on the player.

There’s no doubt Willems is a very good young player who would fit in perfectly at Newcastle, but we cannot have much of a chance of signing him if the Red Devils and Liverpool are keen on him.

Not unless Newcastle move significantly up the league table and get some real ambition before the summer rolls around.

What do you think?

192 responses so far ↓

• 1 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM

you must google 10 links, in French, say 5 Geordie boot boy songs, and drink at least a 12 of brown ale…

go in peace my son lol

• 2 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Howdy folks!!

• 3 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Ha ha ha

You are right

I have a son lives in Mexico and when we chat on Facebook it’s unreal how often stuff on either side can be picked up the wrong way.

• 4 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Long time no visit !

• 5 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM

A few points from your previous….

I agree due diligence didn’t cost the club. It cost Ashley. Basically he clubs debt didn’t change, he just didn’t know about it when he paid for the club. If he did he could have probably negotiated a better deal for himself….either way the club was the same. Unless Ashley used the money he could have potentially saved in a deal to put into the club, but I doubt that would have happened…even still that’s not costing the club.

I agree Ashley taking over the debt was a good thing. It saves us paying interest to a bank/loan provider….ultimately it benefited the club in that way.

The negative comes from one thing, the fact that the club makes profit but Ashley doesn’t have a plan to reduce the debt ultimately meaning he will never sell the advertising until it’s cleared, if he continues his policy of claiming it as an interest payment.

I personally don’t know the value of advertising to a club like Newcastle. But eventually, whether it’s over 10, 20, 30 years if Ashley still hasn’t taken back his loan and has continued with free advertising we will eventually be down money as the cost of all that lost advertising will be more than what we’d have paid the bank in interest and loan….but I don’t know how long that would be.

• 6 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Aye, been moderated for such a long time I just gave up on the site. I emailed Ed saying that it was the new year and that he should give me another chance, and here I am. Never really knew what I got moderated for in the first place.

• 7 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Just focus on football then, everyone’s opinion on the game is welcome, some I prefer to others but happy to chat with anyone willing to listen to points and who pose points for me to consider as well.

If you feel like you are banging your head off a wall with some posters then just agree to disagree, as passionate as you are about an opinion somebody else may be equally as passionate about their’s.

• 8 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Sooo, Lacazette? Is it Sunday?

• 9 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Transfer Sage
    In round figures to repay the bank for the loan would have been £15 million pa for 10 years .

The club would now have only 30 months left to pay.

As I say Ashley is a chubby fox

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Yet again we are slow in the transfer market, watch us being linked with about 20 names and don’t get any of them, it’s a joke, absolute joke.

• 11 DicBDownUnder // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Does anyone know why Mbabu isn’t getting a chance?
    He bossed Pedro and done pretty decent against Man City. Maybe Dummett is like Shola used to be, something special in training but then babs his shorts when he steps on the pitch…

• 12 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Personally I think coming from Burnley is enough to get moderated
    Ha ha ha
    Sorry am I being Burnleyist

• 13 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Everton 1 Man Shitty 0

• 14 RUNAWAY777 // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Evert play we look at is f–k so is ed pushing story’s about injured player who will out foe a while so why

• 15 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Gotta lerv the FA cup

• 16 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

What was the name of that poster who appeared to have been banned having fallen under suspicion after someone apparently hacked Jib’s account and left all sorts of horrors on the blog in Jib’s name?
    Lluw Mort must psychic.

• 17 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Jib, hahaha

I guess you are! Could be worse though… I could live in Benwell! 😉

Ha ha ha

• 18 RUNAWAY777 // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Phone is f–k sorry

• 19 croftus5678 // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:49 PM

now this lad would be great for us but we may have to play 5-3-2.

with him and janmaat we would create tons esp with wij and sissoko in cm.

injured or not he’s def worth buying now in case he gets snapped up by someone else.

• 20 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Man City will have Guardiola AND Messi next season OMG

• 21 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Why must lluw mort be psychic? What’s been going on in my absence?

• 22 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Would love to see that at man city. Would be fantastic see Messi in the premier league.

Playing on a cold, rainy night in Stoke.

• 23 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM

He posted youngmagpiefromburnley …in a box and nothing else, this morning, I think.
    Just thought it must be mediumistic, because up you pop after months and months in moderation.

• 24 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Anyone else disappointed with Mitrovic? Kinda puts buying players with potential into a bad light. Him and Mbemba are having very contrasting seasons, one showing the fortune in the risk and the other falling short.

• 25 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM

we all know messi will not go anywhere in the prem except to the mackems

• 26 OneAlanShearer // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:00 PM

If we are really willing to buy a striker for 20 million I’d get these 3 players instead for that total. Carroll, Austin and banega or shelvey, Redmond and bas dost.

• 27 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:00 PM

That’s random as hell lol.

• 28 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Our Toon // Jan 6, 2016 at 12:45 PM

As for Blackley he argues even when he knows he’s wrong, I and most others on here listen to what’s debated and can change our stance because we are open minded.
    OurToon, let me call you out on that. Give your best example. Your very best. At the moment, you’re using the argument of assertion. You’re playing the man. And then you’re bigging yourself up.

Have you told me how Ashley’s lack of due diligence affected the club detrimentally? I quoted BandB on the previous thread because it seems she can’t give Ashley credit for anything, not even for a massive interest free loan.

• 29 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM

think mitro needs time… and decent service… by this time next season, id be willing to bet he has 6-10 goals…

• 30 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM

One of the commentators is Peter Beagrie who played for both Everton and Man City.

I like Beagrie cos he likes the Toon.

Read this account of one of his escapades esp the last sentence Ha ha ha

“Whilst playing for Everton, Beagrie was involved in a motorcycle crash. The incident took place during Everton’s pre-season tour of Spain. Beagrie having left the bar flagged down a Spanish motorcyclist and convinced him to give him a lift to his hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel he did not wake the night porter. Beagrie then drove the motorcycle up the hotel steps and smashed right through the plate glass window. He required 50 stitches.
    He was drunk at the time.”

• 31 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM

If you look at the contrasting fortunes of Wini and Mitrovic, Then I would say yes disappointed in all the hype that surrounded Mitrovic upon his arrival.
    If you look on current form how many PL teams Mitro would make first team status, I don’t think there is that many. Whereas Wini would walk into most Pl teams

• 32 toon22 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM

When Mashley bought us we were in debt,last time i looked we are still in the exact same debt and always will be.
    On top of that we dont make a penny from advertising,players are sold and not replaced and our transfer policy is geared towards the resale price of the player.
    Every asset thats not nailed down has been sold and our team is a shambles.

Remind me how MA is a good thing for our club again as to me hes a greedy fat get whos is milking us for all we are worth.

• 33 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM

its not like mitro should be able to dribble 30 yrds, and hit a blinder… he needs service into the box, where hes shown, his physical presence can get the job done…

I think hes gonna come good, really really good… hes 21 and new to the prem…

• 34 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:08 PM

What do you think of my points in relation to what you discussed on the previous article.

Post 5 on here

• 35 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Dok, like Mbemba is?

Mitro in my opinion can come good, however the chances that he is missing is really worrying. Confidence issue perhaps? Definitely got nothing to do with adapting. His positioning is fine, but to be our main striker he really needs to step up.

• 36 croftus5678 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM

@24 young

tbh i’m not disapointed in him !

yes his goal tally which is really what he’s paid for is not great but his goals per shots are avg and he brings a lot to the team other than his goals which non of our other players bring in his hold up play and the amount of balls he wins.

he should be putting away the easy chances and he’s proven he can put them away in the past so i’m thinking its a confidence thing and if he scores in a few games his sharpness will hopefully put those easier chances away.

• 37 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:14 PM

mbemba has been brilliant for us, too bad we cant clone him and put his twin as our other cb, lol

• 38 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM

You may be right, Infact I hope you are. He may be only 21 but apart from commitment and that he puts his self about…..The stats for his eye for goal are not clever.The trouble is he is the best out of a bad bunch at the moment as I class Cisse as a none descript after the Watford game in September.
    The team are starting to create chances at last but not just Mitro others are missing chances that we should be putting away and its costing us dearly.

• 39 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM

I agree, what he brings to the team is great in terms of holding up the ball and helping us further up the pitch. However, with our lack of clinical finishers he needs to finish these easy chances, we are a relegation threatened team and it has now come to the point where spending 13 million was wasted. He can come good and that money will most likely be made back in the future, but waiting for him to step up isn’t an option. We now have to panic buy for a striker and most likely dismiss the defence that has needed to be upgraded for what seems a century.

• 40 OneAlanShearer // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Alternatively if the idea is chuck loads of cash at more expensive investments with a potentially huge return I’d go with these

Willems of jonas hector
    Granit xhaka
    Max mayer
    Leon goretzka

If we want to build a truly outstanding side that should be our shopping list.

• 41 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Hope fat Mike is watching Everton tonight . Quality striker, creative midfielders, not willing to sell best players

• 42 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:23 PM

if shearer would pull him aside and tell him what wearing the shirt means to us, itll happen… I was a moron when I was 21, and I didn’t finish all my chances either lmao..

• 43 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Your last two paragraphs. My response. If the club is making profit, irrespective of the advertising, it can either use the profit to pay down the debt or to buy and fund better players. I think everyone would prefer the latter. At the moment the debt, because it is interest free, is costing the club nothing.

I can’t recall/don’t know whether you followed the debate yesterday about the loss to the club in advertising revenues. My point is that it is not the benefit to SD of the advertising that is relevant. That is irrelevant. What is relevant is the loss to NUFC. That has to be a much smaller figure. Ashley’s critics readily ignore the distinction.

How much do you reckon an interest free loan of £130m is worth?

How much do you reckon it is worth to have a billionaire owner as opposed to a rich fan who had invested his sum total wealth to buy the club? Ashley can step in, as he has done before, very quickly, to finance the club. I would not imagine the banks would be willing to lend anything like what Ashley has.

If we had stayed with FFS we’d have no more big signings. I seem to recall plenty of talk of that brfore Ashley came on the scene and following the Owen signing. The club was mortgaged to the hilt.

To pay off debt, you’ve got to make profit;, to make profit, you’ve got to be in the big league; to be in the big league, you’ve got to fork out massive sums on transfer fees and wages. It’s not a priority to pay down the debt, especially when it’s interest free.

• 44 DicBDownUnder // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:25 PM

SkySports saying Liverpool going after Joel Matip

Another one lost out to because we are too tight.

• 45 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:27 PM

I don’t know which is the bigger January shambles. Carr’s panic in the transfer market or Jeremy Corbyn’s reshuffle. Am I allowed to be ageist?

• 46 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM

If only he was another Shearer in the making I would be a very very happy man.
    My worry is buddy we need to start putting the chances away we are creating.
    On Jetro as much as he is class we must prioritise a forward first. If we have plenty of money to burn then bring him in even tho he is injured

• 47 toon22 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Since MA has owned us exactly how much of the debt has been payed ?
    We make a profit,its plain to see over the years that maoney hasnt gone on players,maybe 2 out of the last 9 years maybe but the other 7?

So if we are making money how come we dont spend it on a team,yes be buy players but we only go for ones we can re sell for a profit.

Sound familiar?
    We are in deep trouble but are still being linked with young promising players who may become big money profits for us instead of people who could be used to build a team able to compete in the league.

Again to claim MA has made us a financially stable club is utter rubbsih,were in the same debt we were in when he arrived,its just we owe it to him at the expence of actually selling our advertising and who knows what else.

• 48 JamesToon // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Lots of reports saying that we had a £22million bid accepted by Lyon for Lacazette, but he has rejected us.

• 49 John Tudor // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM

huh some will never learn

fleeced taken to the cleaners and shafted

• 50 toon22 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:34 PM

The biggest lie of all is to say the interest free loan is a good thing,all it has done is allow us to be milked forever.
    We could make 500 million next season ,wouldnt mean a thing to the debt MA owes to himslef.

• 51 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Brilliant goal between Aguero and Jesus Navas

• 52 toon22 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:35 PM

“If only he was another Shearer in the making I would be a very very happy man.”

The problem is he would only be here for maybe a season before he would be sold and not replaced for years if ever.

• 53 Jib // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:36 PM

2 – 1

• 54 John Tudor // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:38 PM

so what

• 55 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:38 PM

• 56 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I agree than in the short term not paying off the loan is a good thing, it does mean that we can use that money to buy players or for other important things at the club.

I think that longer time, like I suggested, whether it’s over 10 or 50 years at some point not claiming the advertising revenue will eventually cost us more than it has saved. I personally have no idea how long that would take to become a negative for us. I’m merely suggesting that eventually that will be the case. Unless Ashley decides to start taking payment before that happens.

Do you agree on that point?

Also I have no idea we were mortgaged to the hilt, we did over spend so it’s possible but it also ties in nicely with what Ashley would want us to believe and he hasn’t proven to be trustworthy so I’m unsure how much to believe….I do accept we were in some level of debt though, just not sure how sustainable it was.

With new prem league money for TV deals we would have been able to compete with better signings by now in my opinion.

Also it’s not like Ashley has really spent the clubs money well or at the right time, too many gambles on young/injured players and not investing wisely at the right time on the right players.

I accept Freddy Shepherd wasted a lot of money but in my opinion he at least tried to get players at the right time, even if he often bought badly.

• 57 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM

the loan ashley give the club isnt interest free,its costing us advertising money every year,but the loan never oes down.

• 58 croftus5678 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:41 PM

@39 young

i has a simular conversation with a chelsea fan earlier today about his team tbh !

would we as fans do you think rather shell out 20mil for example for a untested in the prem but big potential striker / an avg prem striker like gayle who can do the job for a cheaper price but is tested or a youth product tested in the championship and is a class above but untested in the prem and comes for free ?

i’d bet we ignor the same potential we all ready have that will not cost us anything and the tried and tested version because we want money spent wether it works or not !

paying 20mil /6mil or nothing has the same risk of working or not working imo if the skills are there as they clearly are with arma then we are only risking losing him as he’s pushed further back with the more signings that arrive.

• 59 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM

• 60 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Well if that’s how ya look at things then whats the point in signing anyone pal………Oh yeah I forgot the good old sell on for a profit line.
    The same can be said for Mitro or Gini or MBemba.
    Ya have to believe that we will try and create something otherewise whats the point in supporting Nufc

• 61 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Toon22 @50
    Explain that one please.

• 62 croftus5678 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:48 PM

@61 blackley

i posted 2 links yesterday while you was having a ding dong with b&b of all the advertisement revenues and what they was worth from the guardian and another link from which clearly states what advertising sports direct get from us !

• 63 Carl1992 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM

I think Mitro will definitely come good, youve got to remember hes only like 21 and still adjusting to the prem, in one of the worst teams in the league. The fact that Mclaren thought he could score all the goals for us is just ridiculously niave. The fact we dont buy british or at least buy players that have Prem experience is the reason we are in this situation. You’ve got to have a balance of the two, perfect window for me would be Austin, Shelvey, Townsend and go all out to try and get shawcross.

• 64 toon22 // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM

MA has us exactly where he wants us,we owe him so he can take/do exactly what he pleases.

We are in the exact same debt we were in when he came,exactly how does this make him good for the club?

If we bought the next Bale/Shearer whover it would be great but they would be sold within a season to the highest bidder as MA isnt interested in building a team,all he wants is advers and profits from player sales.How many CBs who are over the age of 31 vculd we have bought cheaply who would have been an asset to the club over the last 3 years?
    None as they dont have a re sale value.

We arnt building a teram and never will untill MA sells up to someone who as ambition for iur club,as for not supporting NUFC id say those who think all is hunky dory under the current owner are deluded.

• 65 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Crystal Palace have made a move for £10m Fiorentina striker Khouma Babacar.
    Interesting as I thought they would be favourites for Austin and Remy if they did become available this transfer window

• 66 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM

A statement from Newcastle United in May 2010:

“In relation to recent media speculation following the statement made by the Club on May 9, Newcastle United would like to make it clear that owner Mike Ashley is not looking for his interest free loan to be repaid, or to take any money out of the Club.”

Interesting, yet in a question and answer session with club officials in the 2013/2014 season, the club had this to say:

“The club suggested that while it is always pro-actively looking to attract new commercial partners and to sell that advertising space, in the current climate it could not command a sum for that space anywhere close to the £129m invested into the club interest free by the owner.”

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:55 PM

The loan is interest free. The advertising to SD is free. The value to the club of the former is very large. What’s the value of the advertising – the money lost to NUFC not the benefit gained by SD?

• 68 John Tudor // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM

where then has all our monies gone

• 69 jazzyp // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Name anyone on here who thinks all is great at Nufc and cannot forsee the problems Mashley has created within the club.
    Maybe get your facts right before ramming your thoughts of us being deluded just because we are unfortunate enough to not see Nufc through your eyes

• 70 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Reilly @66
    You’ve just made the argument @66 as I was busy making the same one @67. I wouldn’t believe a word the club says but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. It sounds reasonable to me.

• 71 John Tudor // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:04 PM

all is not well within
    correction it is for Cashley

• 72 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:06 PM

I think what it boils down to is how much is the advertising worth to NUFC if they could sell it openly.

Unless we know that we are all blind in the debate. Here is a indication.

• 73 toon kk // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Sky soares saying we haven’t made contact with any clubs never mind put a bid in for any players.
    Where’s the tales coming from.
    Speculation again.

• 74 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:07 PM

And a second link.

This is from 2008, so I imagine it has changed.

The pitch side advertising boards vary enormously in price depending on where they are located in the ground. Are they pitch facing or crowd facing, and more importantly, will they be in the line of the cameras if the match is televised?

“As a rough guide, Stoke City offer boards from £750 to £3,500. At Wigan it will cost you around £2,000 and at League Two Aldershot, you’ll only have to part with around £1,500.”

Even still it does not specify whether this would be a sustained advert on a digital pitch side board or a smaller board above.

• 75 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Figures for Hull start at £7500 for the main TV boards.

• 76 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Basically it all boils down to how long we take to pay Ashley back.

Up until a certain period of time we will probably be better off, after that time the lost advertising revenue would outweigh the saving on the interest.

None of us know when that point will be……so really it’s a pointless argument when there are so many other things being done wrong.

Thats me for the night people, enjoy the rest of the debate.

• 77 croftus5678 // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:12 PM

@74 ts

• 78 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:16 PM

while ashley is here the loan will never reduce and SD will get free advertising. this is why he bought the club to promote SD to the world.

• 79 toon kk // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:16 PM

As far as advertising go’s, it’s MA club so whether we like it or not he has the right advertise SD. What is my main concern is him putting a team together that can compete in the premier league, we’re still waiting Mash!

• 80 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM

I’ll have a quick post before I go, sorry I won’t reply to this as off to bed, early start tomorrow.

That doesn’t show what billboard advertising generates though.

Have a read of the second link I posted. It goes through everything which would be included. Not just billboard advertising but shirt sponsorship, training kit sponsorship, matchday sponsors, ball sponsors, programme sponsoring, website advertising….everything.

I’m not sure if we advertise other brands/companies in our programmes or as other forms of sponsorship.

Ultimately we don’t know the exact value so it’s like my post at 76 suggests, we can’t work out when the negative outweighs the benefit.

• 81 jane // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM

i guess there would be administrative costs to deduct from the income from the advertising however much that would be eg employing staff to sell it etc.

• 82 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Where do the bid stories come from? Look no further than Kieth Bishop!

I’ve said for days that the only transfer activity we’ll see are outgoings.

McClaren’s most recent interview had him talking about lots going on behind the scenes to change things (not enough!) and intimated that there was nothing to talk about in regard to January.

I hope I’m wrong but with apologies to The Who, we are likely to get fooled again.

• 83 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:26 PM

NUST has been keeping across the fate of the land behind the Gallowgate End.

It confirms that permission is now formerly being sought for £50m plans to develop the area, the lease for which was recently moved out of the club portfolio. That means the application for planning permission is in.

Top article. Worth a read.

• 84 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:30 PM

• 85 OneAlanShearer // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM

Mitro is a good player. If anything it’s him who should be complaining. We sign him knowing full well he needs to feed off crosses then buy thauvin who at the very least will need time to adapt to this league plus perez is the nearest yo a nippy striker we have…so no experienced strike partner that suits his game.

If they want to ensure safety buy austin, a class winger who can cross and at least one playmaker. He needs experience and opportunities to feed off.

They need to write a blank cheque and throw huge money at this or they will end up in the championship for half a decade.

• 86 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM

BandB…A very interesting article. Far more so than trying to define what an interest free loan is (btw – for anyone interested, it isn’t “interest free”).

I’d be interested to know what the estimated costs to extend the Gallowgate end would be, as per the “joint report commissioned by the club and the City Council as recently as 2008”.

Although, we are going full circle again. We have a club whose solution to dropping attendances is to give tickets away – why does anyone expect or think they’re thinking long term or that if they are, that their long term plan is for sporting success?

• 87 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Happy new year Ibizatoon.

Did you read the bit where it claimed nothing from this former club asset is thought likely to accrue ever back to the club?

• 88 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Croftus @77
    Now you’re smokin’.

Just scanned some of the clubs comparable to NUFC. Everton for example. “Sponsorship, advertising and merchandise £8m”. Presumably that includes shirt deals. Clearly merchandise.

Bear in mind NUFC also gets advertising receipts from non Ashley related enterprises too. It makes my estimate of £5m for lost advertising to be on the high side.

I’ve only scanned it briefly. (I’m on my phone.) There may be other figures others prefer to suit their arguments. Please share your thoughts and see if we can put this one to bed.

• 89 toon kk // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Let’s hope we bring in some proven quality, it will determine which league we’re in next season. If the board are daft enough to gamble like last January we could say goodbye to the premiership for a long time.

Sad thing I’m not sure they realise where they’re going wrong.

• 90 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:41 PM

BandB…To you and yours too.

I did.

A very sad state of affairs. The land clearly has value. It did belong to the club. If we are to argue what is reasonable, if Ashley wants to remove that value from the club, he should write it off the loan. The club is to be self sufficient they say.

• 91 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:45 PM

An interest free loan means it’s free of interest. That is what it is. The fact Ashley’s company gets some separate benefit does not alter the fact. How are you going to calculate the net difference if you don’t treat them for what they are? I’d like to see your workings.

• 92 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Blackley…What are you putting to bed? Whether the loan is interest free or whether the value of us sacrificing our stadium advertising is worth the value of the interest the club would need to pay on a loan for that amount?

• 93 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Evening guys & gals been away for a very long time due to illness, hope we are all well.

See nothing has changed Newcastle still being linked with a multitude of players but nothing solid and Jib still getting everyones backs up!!!!

• 94 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Blackley…Fine. We’ll run that scenario.

The loan is interest free. Good ole Mikey.

Should we not be demanding to know why we’re being told we can’t compete financially when our dear owner is giving away free advertising to a 3rd party company? Keeping in mind that an “interest free” loan cannot be used as a reason, as that would indicate a payment of interest.

Isn’t what we’re actually discussing, whether or not the value of what we would pay in interest is equal, lesser or greater to that of what we would recieve in advertising?

• 95 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Chancel…Health looking any better?

• 96 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Let him put it to bed. He’s doing that Toon Darn Sarf thing where he sticks by his own point, dismissing all others as inadmissible, and then declaring himself the winner.
    You know, that thing that made Toon Darn Sarf so popular and persuasive.

• 97 lochinvar // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM

I’m no planner or architect but clearly these buildings while on the other side of the road would due to their height and shape prevent the bold idea of some years ago to extend the Gallowagte stand over the road allowing the third side of the main stands to be completed ( leaving only the East Stand undeveloped ). There was a plan for the road to be sunk like a subway or underpass under the concourse of an extended Gallowgate stand so that extension is perfectly feasible – easy by comparison to the Metro under the Early Grey Monument.

The more alarming thought is that Cashley has a Cunning Plan to build a new purpose build stadium ( once proposed for the Riverside or Barrack Road area ) which would be funded by selling off the prime real estate otherwise known as St. James Park for the Science Park- Business School – Hotels – Offices etc.

What is needed is some professional scrutiny and a feasible study to confirm if the Gallowgate stand could still be extended if these plans for the Metro station area go ahead. Can anyone take up that mantle ?

If the answer to that question is no then we have our answer- Cashley will sell eventually – not just the Club but the whole shebang that is St.James’ Park.

If the club is relegated we might end up with a 40,000 purpose build stadium in Kingston Park and the Cathedral of Dreams on the hill would be just that – a dream or faded memory.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

• 98 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Ibiza not really but getting there slowly

• 99 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:54 PM

It’s a day of comebacks.

Great to see you Chancel.

• 100 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:54 PM

BandB…I am keen to avoid that thing. It’s somewhat of a revolving door.

• 101 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:55 PM

• 102 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Sorry BandB

• 103 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Yes that is what we are discussing. So, despite what you say, the loan is interest free. The advertising to SD is made free. One is bigger than the other or they are the same. It’s that simple. The loan is interest free.

What do you say about the link provided by Croftus showing commercial revenues of EPL clubs? And my comparison with Everton? I’ve only had time to scan it. There may be other evidence that supports the view that lost advertising is a major amount. Please give us your thoughts.

• 104 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Chancel…Sorry to hear that. Keep smiling.

• 105 Mister Tuff // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Somebody was on about PEA earlier on. I fell for the hype and really thought we were going to sign him. Researched him – knew everything about him -convinced he was Toon bound.
    Excitement was further enhanced by Torq Toon who apparently did heart monitorinng of players in France including ASSE – where he met Aubameyang.
    Then the bastard went to Germany and we apparently had not bid.
    Top scorer in Germany this season. Who made the decision not to bid – I would love to know.

• 106 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Ibiza thank you and I am smiling I’ve just watched the Spurs and Liverpool games that dad sky plussed me when I was in hospital, shame that we went downhill afterwards

• 107 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:59 PM

The land behind the Gallowgate is owned by the council, and the leasehold is held in the Mash Holdings Portfolio now.
    The council was recently reported to be minded to sell the freehold for about £800,000.

• 108 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM

You say, “We have a club whose solution to dropping attendances is to give tickets away –”

The club can’t win in some people’s eyes. If you’re going to criticise them, pick on something credible. The lease arrangement and redevelopment is malodorous to say the least. Stick with it. Free tickets to certain fans seems like the right solution as an expedient measure to deal with a falling attendance.

• 109 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Blackley…For old times sake, one more.

No, I am not saying it is interest free, as I don’t believe it is. There is no direct interest repayment plan in place, but the club does pay (or lose income if you’d prefer) due to the loan. That is what the club have told us. That is a form of interest repayment.

I am not going to speculate on the minefield of figures regarding advertising. Is the advertising within SJP even comparible to that at Everton? Do they have a huge SD sign on their roof?

I’d be far more encouraged if the people who can supply this information did. As I always say, if what they say (and you appear to believe) is true, then there would be no issue in doing so. Yet, they don’t. Just tell us to believe.

Anyway, hope you’re well and enjoyed a nice Werthers or two over Christmas.

• 110 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Having thrashed to death the point that Ashleys little nufc oil can lubricates the wheels of SD no end, I decided that Blackley was just as mystified as to why nufc doesn’t charge SD for advertising. So I gave up. Brick wall and all that. There’s no end to the string.

• 111 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:06 PM

It is indeed.
    Never mind, in you go.
    (Waves him off….)

• 112 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:06 PM

As you’ll know, Ashley’s empire includes a large property portfolio and he’s arranged that his eldest daughter’s partner/ fella manage that portfolio as a consultant – not a salaried employee.

The IoD are again concerned about his antics and though he’s done nothing that breaches corporate governance rules because of the nature of the consultancy where fees and commission on profits are paid.

The IoD see such an appointment as a being near to Shadow Directorship but again, his legal advisors have kept him out of breaches of corporate governance rules.

Ashley’s certainly gaining a reputation among the higher echelons of business but he might just be too clever one if these days.

And what’s that to do with the land he’s planning to develop next to SJP? Not a lot but no doubt there’ll be millions making its way into the Ashley ‘family’ pockets

It stinks but it’s legal.

• 113 Toonces // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:07 PM

For what it’s worth I think that Mitrovic is a good young player and that he the has potential to become very good. He is taking time to settle into the prem league but I think that he does show flashes of quality and the “it” factor. He came highly rated as an up and coming player to watch in Europe so he is definitely not a bad player. Not so long ago he was playing for Anderlecht in the Champs League and scored a big goal against Arsenal. I’m not sure if any of our other players have any of that on their cv. We need to find a way to play to all of the players strengths, Mitro’s included. Does McClaren or any of the staff have the wherewithal to find a winning formula? This one man in the box, fighting against two CB’s and trying to live off a few lucky crosses is not such a winning formula to my eyes. Fortune favours the bold.

• 114 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:08 PM

This one is getting as common as Andy Carroll.

We need some serious quality and firing power to get us out of the whole we are in, Seems Mash & Co have not and will never learn their lessons!!!!

• 115 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Still can’t believe we are linked with Lacazette… It’s actually embarrassing.

• 116 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Good to see you back young fella. Just be strong and look forward to the day you can wish Ashley all he deserves when he rides out of Toon.

Keep smiling bonny lad, your wisdom has been missed.

• 117 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Thanks Lesh
    Came out of hospital yesterday, been sleeping loads. Hope I can celebrate my 30th next Thursday with a win, only Trouble is we play Man U Tuesday

• 118 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Oh, the one and only TFL is back. Happy to see, hope you’re doing OK.

• 119 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM

BandB…In and out. Not even any motion sickness.

• 120 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Oh go on then one more go ha ha

Ashley could charge SD £20m pa easily to SD for advertising. That would pay the loan back quite quickly, coupled with the rising revenue from TV money. But he doesn’t. And nufc manages to increase it’s operating costs to slow down it’s profits further to a war cry. Why does Mike do this?

But it’s ok, because that advertising is one of the main reasons his half share of £350m is fairly achievable. I suppose it eases the pain.

Oh, by the way, can anyone point to an official statement that Mike didn’t carry out due diligence when he bought the club off FFS?

• 121 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Thanks young magpie i’m trying 🙂

• 122 Transfer Sage // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Basically the scenario is this. (I’ll use made up numbers to illustrate the point).

Say the total interest repayable on the loan would have been 20 million. Let’s also say that stadium advertising is worth 2 million a year. Purely hypothetical numbers.

If after 10 years Ashley takes repayment of the loan and we begin to sell advertising again then fair enough, the 20 million we have lost in advertising revenue (10 years x 2 million) is the same as the interest we would have paid. We are no better or worse.

If the loan is repaid earlier and we begin to sell advertising sooner we will be better off.

If the loan takes longer to repay and we continue to give the advertising away to SD the club would then be worse off.

That is the crux of the argument at a very basic level. As we don’t know the exact figures of what the interest payments total would have been or exactly what we could sell advertising for we won’t know when it goes from being a benefit to being a drain on the club.

• 123 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM

• 124 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM

yes Tsunki?

• 125 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Toonfromleeds? Right? I haven’t forgot!

• 126 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:20 PM

you are correct Young Magpie

• 127 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Ha! Welcome back you useless old crock! No offence…

• 128 Ibizatoon // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Transfer…I do get that point, but thanks for taking the time to set it out.

My point was that it cannot be called interest free when we are effectively, at this stage, paying interest in the form of lost revenue from in ground advertising. Which is what the club have said, although that isn’t a direct quote.

• 129 Blofal // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Wow when you look at the Mackems finances… if they go down they are stuffed. I didn’t know they had that much debt!

• 130 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Damn that was a while back… What prompted the change of username if I may? ?

• 131 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Thanks skunki
    Hope you are well

• 132 Belfast // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Hi old combatants

• 133 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Young Mag
    If you remember I upgraded to windows 10 and lost everything so I made a new account months back but not been on for donkeys due to my health

• 134 OneAlanShearer // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Chancel – yes and no. Austin and carroll represent a injury risk but experienced pl goal scorer. Bas dost is in the form of his life but has also had injuries. HOWEVER now go through the list of form strikers in all European leagues and Bas Dost is actually the tier down from the top players that we simply won’t sign. Unless you think we will sign suarez, goetze, muller, neymar anytime soon… Personally I think signing BOTH austin and carroll is the answer. It would likely ensure safety for 3 seasons. In which time they could buy that cheap import with huge sell on value they want an mitigate the risk of signing an injury prone player as surely both won’t get injured at the same time plus both now how to find the net. Also they might be an ideal partnership…see Sir Les and shearer. ..ok I’m dreaming

• 135 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I also predicted that Swansea would be found out this season and it seems I was right, does the welsh lad still come on?

• 136 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:25 PM

your dreaming mate lol

• 137 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Oh, I see… Well I hope you have a speedy recovery and that all is well in Leeds. Fancy you coming back the same day as me.

Ha ha ha

• 138 Belfast // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Yeah but he very rarely mentions Swansea

• 139 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Hi belfast

• 140 Belfast // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Hi tsunki nice night for a walk

• 141 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Young Magpie
    Strange things happen lol

thanks Belfast

• 142 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:31 PM

It’s okay to sign strikers but if there is no one to deliver to them then they are pointless, we seem to lack creativity, don’t suppose it helps that we are playing CM’s on the wing

• 143 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Yes very pleasant out tonight. All the stars are out.

• 144 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM

No stars here 🙁

• 145 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM

You say about the lost advertising revenues: “it was far more than i think you think it is buddy it’s worth having a read if you go back.”

I’ve mentioned Everton above. You could pick other clubs. I might have missed something obvious but I don’t know why you’re saying what you are.

• 146 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Just finished having a chat with Mike. He asked me:
    “G2 what do you think of the idea of bringing in a few more players?” Well, I was completely shocked to say the least. “More players Mike I says? That’s completely mad. You already have loads of players. You have 25 senior players and many young’uns. You can only play 11 at time Mike. No, this seems just not right to me mate. And they all want to be paid ALL THE TIME Mike! Can you believe that? Even when they’re injured! No I’m not joking Mike, check into that.” Well he was just blown away. Went away shaking his head.

• 147 Belfast // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Any idea why Ibiza nearly got sick earlier ? Blog bug going around again tsunki

• 148 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:34 PM

I see G2 is still on the comedy circuit, nice to see you mate

• 149 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM

It might be time to do something revolutionary. Is there a rule about using horses? I know Mike said he was going to bolt the horse to the cart but hear me out for a minute. What if we just leave the cart outside in Alans old parking spot, should be big enough it could fit his Yugo in. Then, we could put SDJ on the horse. That way he could go as fast as sissoko. I think this has got legs. Four actually.

• 150 lesh // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:37 PM

As we tend to turn up against the so-called bigger clubs, I’m sure the lads’ll run their hearts out and surprise ManU.

You will have a happy 30th, I’m confident of that.

Jeez, I wish I had the guts and stamina that you’ve got. You’re a star.

• 151 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:37 PM

I’m just trying to help Mike out. He clearly has some fairly bizarre ideas. Seems to think he’s following the Arsenal model or something. Keeps muttering something about cheap, top young players from Europe. Says he can’t understand why the supporters are angry again. Says he’s doing just fine thank you very much. Selling loads of rubbish made by kids in Bangladesh. Why can’t we understand his point of view for a change?

• 152 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:39 PM

the bloke is like a dog with a bone.

• 153 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:39 PM

Really surprised we didn’t really pursuit Payed. With his stats from last year it’s crazy we (clubs board) wrote him off… Such a classy player.

• 154 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Lesh fair point and it’s on BT Sport too so we tend to plat better on TV. I hope so mate

• 155 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:40 PM

• 156 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:42 PM

I’m fine Take a Chancel mate. Happy New Year. I’m just glad I can help Mike out now and then. Tsunki also has some good ideas about cart horses. Could we not bolt Mike to the horse and drag him around the streets of Newcastle for a bit? People could have a good fong of him as he passes by. Then give him tea and send him back off down south. I feel like we’re not really showing our appreciation of him enough.

• 157 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:43 PM

BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM

You know, that thing that made Toon Darn Sarf so popular and persuasive.

I’m ready to be persuaded on anything. Check out Croftus’ link to figures on EPL club finances. Come up with something constructive.

All you’re doing above is playing the man, trying to colour people’s opinions. Bring an argument for once. Don’t run when you get knocked back as you did yesterday. I will stick with my arguments when I think they remain valid. Having taken in all sides, others can and do make their own minds up. They’re not so stupid as to fail to recognise when someone’s resorting to play the man.

One reader (Krul to be Kind, a first time poster?) came on just to criticise you at length at the end of the last thread. You’d do well to take a look.

• 158 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:44 PM

Is Mike that pig headed, he knows that the huge TV deal comes into force from next season so surely he’d want to speculate to accumulate??

• 159 Tsunki // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:45 PM

If we put SDJ on a zebra maybe the match officials wouldn’t even notice.

• 160 Our Toon // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:45 PM

A combined Newcastle supporters’ group meeting on Monday night attracted around 400 fans and a statement was released yesterday that called for the Sports Direct billionaire to “consider his position as owner of Newcastle United.”

Ashley launched his bid to take full control of the club back in May 2007 when he bought the shareholding of the Hall family for £55 million. He later acquired the shares of then chairman Freddy Shepherd and by July of that year had full control. It is reckoned to have cost him £134 million to take over but there were hidden debts that Ashley had not reckoned on, having failed to undertake due diligence as he made his move to buy the club.

It is believed that Ashley had to spend more than £100 million clearing out debts left on player purchase and a loan to redevelop the stadium which had to be repaid if the Hall family left the club.

The cost of relegation from the Premier League is thought to have cost another £30 million in interest free loans made by Ashley to fund an annual wage bill in excess of £40 million that gained immediate promotion from the Championship.

Figures released by Newcastle during their last set of accounts showed that at the end of the financial year 2011/12, the owner loans from Ashley to Newcastle stood at £129 million, having been reduced from the high of £140 million in 2010/11.

Figures released in the 22nd edition of the Deloitte Annual Review of Football Finance 2013 on June 5, showed that the Premier League club’s net debt of £1.4 million included interest free soft loans

• 161 BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:47 PM

No-one is here to persuade you.
    People are talking to each other, swapping ideas, rethinking thoughts.
    All around you.
    No-one waiting for your verdict.

• 162 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Then there was the chat with Lee Charnley. Top bloke I must say. He feels we’re just rounding into form as well. Pursued that top manager Steve McLaren until he got him. Ran him to ground and forced him to take the position once he was sacked by Derby. Very clever. It’s all about timing they say. Riviere coming back. Good for a goal before the end of the season. Lots of excitement about Siem. He’s decided he needs to run a bit during the matches and head the ball towards the net as well. That should be a nice change then.

• 163 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:50 PM

reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:39 PM

the bloke is like a dog with a bone.

I’m never happy to accept something because someone tells me it. Or because a few people tell me it. Vague theories don’t impress me. I always seek cogent argument and evidence.

Croftus has provided a link to some figures. At last, something to bring light. Have you commented on it? Call it research. I haven’t seen you use it.

• 164 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Mike is not pig headed Take a Chancel mate. He has more the look of a donkey to me. Pigs are clever. No, definitely not pig headed then. But donkeys. Now those are stupid animals. And stubborn as well. Mike is definitely more of a donkey.

• 165 firebug666 // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Take a Chancel on me

Welcome back mate, and best wishes for 2016, hope your recovery goes well.

Young Mag

Nice to see you back too.

• 166 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:52 PM

speaking of stubborn…..

• 167 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:52 PM

If I’m honest, I believe that we will avoid relegation, I’ve seen enough fight from our team this season to suggest that our fortunes will turn around. Having said that, we are still lacking quality in most areas of the pitch and a bad transfer window could be our downfall. Let’s see how serious Ashley is about our club.

• 168 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:53 PM

So the big question is: “Are we happy with a donkey for an owner? A big stupid donkey? Stubborn. Uncooperative. Digs his hooves in all the time when he’s told to stop being such a stupid donkey.” It’s a difficult one mates.

• 169 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Well said G2

Thanks Firebug, same to you pal

• 170 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:54 PM

because i dont care

• 171 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Kevin Mbabu had a few good games he’d be better than dummett at left back

• 172 GeordieTwo // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Just listening to a nice bit of Nick Drake while I write this. Got me feet up down in Blog End. I might just get the Blog Hobbit Mail Bag out after this and have a bit of a perusal.

• 173 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Thanks mate, if I’m honest I’m surprised at this warm welcome. I thought I had left a bitter taste with you guys. A new year I suppose… Oh, that reminds me, Happy new year everyone!! Hope you all have a great year.

• 174 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:57 PM

BandB // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:47 PM

No-one is here to persuade you.
    People are talking to each other, swapping ideas, rethinking thoughts.
    All around you.
    No-one waiting for your verdict.

Never said they were here to persuade me or wait for my verdict. Another typical, desperate, straw man argument in the absence of anything constructive. Is that really your best?

• 175 reilly // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:57 PM

the reason i dont care is because the subject you are going on about has been debated to death and is old.

• 176 firebug666 // Jan 6, 2016 at 11:58 PM

You had your moment that’s for sure, you have been given a second chance, so lets not dwell on the past.

Hope you have a much happier time this time around.

• 177 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Agreed, from the few matches I have seen from Mbabu he looks like the real deal. (and he was out of position-whats new lol) However there must be something Mcclaren sees in Dummett because he constantly favours him. Work rate maybe? I just feel like Mbabu would give us some balance down the left since he seems positive going forward unlike Dummett who clears it as soon as a man from 100 yards away starts to pressure.

• 178 GeordieTwo // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:00 AM

What would you like to discuss reilly mate? We do need some fresh material on here.

• 179 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:03 AM

Who has written that piece?

It makes it appear that the club has been affected detrimentally because of a lack of due diligence by Ashley. However, it does not say that.

All I’m asking you is to explain why you consider Ashley’s lack of due diligence has detrimentally affected NUFC. Now there may be reasons. I’m just asking you to set them out. That’s all. Your article, (author and agenda unstated) does not explain.

• 180 Our Toon // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:04 AM

It still amazes me that you are trying to debate a subject on which you’ve not done any research. I’ve already offered to send you accounts from Ashley’s time here, even better go to companies house and request for them like I did, study the accounts and all will be clear.

As for interest free loans, yes it was good in the short term, most of the loans would have finished by now leaving the ground improvements loan which stood at 60m when Ashley took over and due to finish in 2020 off the top of my head, will have to check that again. Work it out in 2007 that loan was 60m what would it have been now and with the new TV deal it would be paid off.

I don’t get why you insist on discussing a topic which you clearly haven’t studied. If you don’t know you don’t know simple, instead we’ve gone round in circles for almost a week over the same thing. If our players showed half the tenacity that you do then we wouldn’t be in a relegation fight. It’s a good quality to have but sometimes it’s best to just research in more detail and then formulate a constructive argument.

The biggest gripe I have is the land around SJP, worth a heck of alot of money, initially he wanted to build a super casino which got knocked back but he will sell that land, land which belongs to the club. Yes he bought the club but in my eyes that’s asset stripping. When that land is sold he will move on!!

For your research you can contact Freshfields I believe who were the people who negotiated deals and were there from beginning, then you can contact Keith Harris I think it is, again it’s late and been a long day so you’ll have to check that yourself, they also have information which they have to release if people in the public ask for it….they were tasked with apparently selling the club when Ashley was on the piss in Dubai.

Lastly companies house for all other records, go back and check out the amount of money the club bought on board for merchandising sponsorship etc before Ashley took over…..and don’t forget we pay Sports direct to house our stock in there warehouse which costs around 4m and they pay us nothing for advertising…..on that note I’m off, good night, god bless. Howay the toon

• 181 reilly // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM

g2 bit late now,i have work in the morning.
    lets hope we have something new to talk about tthe morra instead of dragging up old shite.

• 182 BandB // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM

All I have argued today is the case that Magpies are Black and White. Which most of us seemed signed up to.
    I’m surprised it caused so much equivocation.

• 183 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM

Cheers mate, I don’t deserve it, but il gladly take it… I hit the big 18 so I’m going to stay as mature as possible!!

Yes! Let’s move forward and hope for a great year for Newcastle and for the bloggers on this site.

• 184 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:09 AM

reilly @175
    I have to say your response is not persuasive. You don’t want to partake in the discussion. You say you don’t care about it; it’s old and done to death. That’s fine. And yet you previously said,

“the bloke is like a dog with a bone.
    if your not happy with what people are telling you go and do some research and come to you own conclusions,because your never going to accept anyone elses answer.”

Why get into it if that’s how you feel. If you’ve got nothing constructive to say, talk about something else that interests you. I’m sure others will enjoy debating something else with you.

• 185 Our Toon // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:11 AM

Apologies I was in the middle of a huge post, look the information is out there for you to source yourself. As for that information on debt taken on board, everyone part of that deal will inform you that the club had massive debts and Ashley didn’t do his due diligence, he didn’t even know that nufc didn’t own the stadium. That’s how much due diligence he did. He put himself out of pocket and punished us in the process as he could have bought the club for less…..but this was an advertising vehicle which worked a treat.

That same article is in almost all journos, and commonly known by money men in and around the financial industry. Once bitten twice shy, he’s never made the same mistake again in amassing a whole host of failing companies but he did his due diligence before buying them!! Please find the information via companies house and them I’m more than happy to discuss….agreed?

Good night I’ll reply tomorrow

• 186 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM

BandB @182

Eh? That’s not playing the man. That’s the side swerve. Make your mind up. Are you a midfield hard man or a tricky winger?

What did you make of Krul’s comments?

• 187 BandB // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM

“Never said they were here to persuade me or wait for my verdict.”

reilly @175
    “I have to say your response is not persuasive.”

You couldn’t make it up.

• 188 SPRINGY // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:13 AM

evening all,
    hope everyone’s areet,so more bull strories knocking about again what a bloody surprise…,.its the non-gift that keeps on giving!lol……i hope mitro starts at the weekend just to get him some game time hopefully he’ll run off his bad luck in front of goal or just score of his arse something to help his confidence… we field a strong team or use the squad?….head says squad…..heart says strongest team and go for it!

• 189 reilly // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:14 AM

last one,shall we talk about your online melt down with your brother troy on the other blog and the reason you got your arse slinged off that thats a good change of topic but il have to leave it as its late.night night

• 190 BandB // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:17 AM

I think you attract comments like that about once a thread, Blackley.

I’m quite fond of Jib, usually. I love his portrayal of me as a sherry-raddled, sex-starved, bingo-obsessed old hag. I take it far more affectionately than it is probably intended, because Jib also knows how to laugh at himself.

• 191 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:29 AM

BandB @187

I say someone’s response is not persuasive.

You say, “No-one is here to persuade you.
    People are talking to each other, swapping ideas, rethinking thoughts.
    All around you.
    No-one waiting for your verdict.”

I say, “Never said they were here to persuade me or wait for my verdict.”

Your response? To quote my first comment that someone’s response is not persuasive. And think you’re clever to do so.

What’s wrong with saying someone’s response is not persuasive? That does not mean I believe it’s people’s purpose to persuade me. It does not mean I believe people are waiting for my verdict. I thought you fancied yourself as a wordsmith?

You know you’re making straw man arguments because it’s all you’ve got left. It’s descended to the level of pettiness. That means, “I’m out.”

• 192 BandB // Jan 7, 2016 at 12:36 AM