The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In For This Top Championship Defender?

9:16 am, Thursday, January 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

For some reason Newcastle just don’t seem to be too interested in signing too many English players and Graham Carr continues to scout on the continent to bring cheaper foreign players into the club – who then take time to adjust to English football and some just don’t make it.

We have been interested in Leeds United defender Sam Byram for a couple of years now and there are a number of Premier League clubs said to be after him this month.

That’s because he could be available at a knockdown price with his contract at Leeds running out in June.

sam byram

Sam Byram – are Newcastle interested

We don’t know if Newcastle are one of those clubs and recent news is that West Ham, who seem to be a lot more ambitious than Newcastle these days – are favorites to sign him.

And the Hammers beat us to another top young English defender 18 months ago, when they signed Aaron Cresswell from Ipswich Town, with Newcastle also said to be interested in signing the left back.

Notice that left-back remains a weakness in the current Newcastle side.

Leeds United boss Steve Evans has been talking to Sky Sports News about Byram:

“I can’t say whether he will or not [move]. He’s made it clear he doesn’t want to extend his contract beyond the summer and there are four or five Premier League clubs who would like to get Sam. “

“They are all good clubs. It has to be right first and foremost for Leeds and that young man.”

“He’s got all the right attributes to play in the Premier League but it has to be right for all parties.”

Newcastle would do well to bring more Englishmen into the squad who could then produce quickly for the side.

And we suppose we did do that when we signed two defenders from Nottingham Forest 18 months ago – Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow, although both remain on the fringes of the first team.

It would help Newcastle to sign more Englishmen who could produce more quickly for the club.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Watford?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 John Tudor // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:18 AM

makems and palarce in for him we are last resort

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:20 AM

A chapionship defender, eh? We’re saved. And from a few articles ago, I notice we are back in for Sad Bots again. Euphoria.

• 3 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM

What was that about? I’m getting the bird from you because I went to bed in the early hours and didn’t wait up for you to deliver your response. I had yo get up early this morning; the cleaners are coming. As expected it’s all heat and no light. Not worth waiting up for. I just don’t understand the build up or why you blame me for where someone else who went to town on you placed their post. Irrational.

• 4 John Tudor // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM

i not gonna be sad when we drop
    i will be getting drunk

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Or did i settle on Stab Sod last time? Either way… wooo, and stuff.

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Happy new year

I wont be sad either, i am kind of resigned to relegation now.

• 7 John Tudor // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:27 AM

same to you ycmiu and i dont drink
    sorry state of affairs, the shebang has it all to answer

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:28 AM

R C will be Roy Cropper I guess. So good of you to come clean. But then declaring you’re Roy Cropper shows you know nothing. Look back at Toonsy’s blog. Plenty saying it was unfair to ban me. Troy and his sidekick Big Dave are WUMs who hound folk with ridicule. They couldn’t stand it when the mockery and satire was returned in spades. Troy had the all time hissy fit. Well documented. Still ridiculed to this day by other bloggers. Big Dave couldn’t handle it without his sidekick and found any excuse to ban me.

• 9 Rotonda heights // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:29 AM

not rocket science, English players are way over priced when you can get a Mahrez for 400k

• 10 Shaker Shakrah // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:30 AM

You said it yourself Mr ED , he will sign for West ham because they are a lot more ambitious than Newcastle .

Even Bournemouth when they splashed 8 million on Mings showed more ambitious towards signing English players than us , ITS Bournemouth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are disrespecting West Ham here I think when we fail to match Bournemouth ambition .

• 11 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:31 AM

If you recall Troy left Toonsy’s blog and came here such was his hissy fit. Bloggers on here know that. And as I say, he’s still getting ridicule on there for it.

• 12 Shaker Shakrah // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM

#Rotonda heights

OR ……………… You can get Cabella + Thauvin for £25m

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:36 AM

You say all the proofs are there about the value of the advertising. I keep saying “show me any pr proof”. Nothing comes. The only meaningful information has come from recent Croftus’ link. Nobody who hits Ashley for the advertising issue wants to look at it or comment. It would be more constructive than having a snipe at me. You might even learn something new.

• 14 Mag52 // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Ed’s remark referring to Pardew’s “remarkable achievement” bearing in mind the constraints he was working under, was I think, referring to the constraints of turning out a team in a premiership match ( his last one incidently for NUFC which we won) consisting of Alnwick – Janmaats, Willo, Colo, Dummet, – Tiote, Colback, – Sissoko, Perez, Gouffran, – Cisse.

• 15 Tsunki // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Blackley I wish I knew what the simple question was you are asking, or maybe your reason for asking it. What’s your point about Ashley and his lack of will to charge his own company for it? Do you support Ashley for doing this? Or do you think he should increase the clubs revenue significantly by charging for it?

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM

I see not a huge amount has changed here 😀

People never seem to get tired of the same arguments. And I see “He Who Left Us Last January” still gets named :-p

• 17 Mag52 // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Totally agree that Ashley’s Achilles heel is SD.
    Suggested chant when we’re struggling at Watford : “Ash ley Sports Direct – Out Out Out.”

• 18 giimps // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:44 AM

I remember when the vile creature that is Freddy S went in for champions league defenders ……god how I miss those days, we’re lucky if were linked with championship players ,and even then , we won’t get them if anyone else is in for him as we don’t do bidding wars, or experienced PL players unless they’re free transfers.
    Even free transfers cost too much ,we need rid of the owner and management and about 70%of the playing staff, hopefully this will happen when we go down….at the very least we may win more than 10% of our games …..oh the joy……

• 19 jazzyp // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Groundhog Day again

• 20 The next Mike Williamson // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Byram would be good but being a squad player wouldn’t make much difference to our plight. Bas Dost will be a disaster. No point in having another Mitrovic type (slow and good in the air) if we haven’t got any wingers. Dost had De Bruyne & Schurrle at Wolfsburg putting the ball on his head.

• 21 Jib // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Abdoulaye Doucouré is a midfielder from Rennes that Watford tried to sign in August.
    Watford have returned for him but Leicester and NUFC have made enquiries.
    €10 million is his price tag,197813

• 22 Jib // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:50 AM

I think what may strengthen The Toon’s hand in negotiations with French clubs , is the fact we have French players out of favour who can be part exed back to Ligue 1 a la Cabella

• 23 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:59 AM

I won’t respond to you other than to say other people don’t need you to speak for them about the length of my posts. It’s telling that you have nothing to say on the substantive issue of due diligence and in particular why Ashley’s detractors imply it was so detrimental to the club that he’s not a fit and proper person to own the club. It’s a simple question. It never needed to be laboured. It’s simply a matter of two or three lines of explanation. It appears you’re not up to that but you are up to playing the man no bother.

I got banned for reacting to comments like yours, for standing my ground and for refusing to be told I’m wrong simply because someone says so. Like now, I’m told by OurToon I know nothing and I haven’t done any research so I shouldn’t even be discussing the issue. Today OP has a snipe. BandB has plenty. All the usual candidates. All the while, folk on the blog have serial spats with offensive insults traded. Who gets banned? Me for upsetting some of you. For not signing up to a certain group’s version of the Anti-Ashley campaign, which had become well established and settled.

Stick to football. Stick to issues. Stop the sniping. Stop the insults.

• 24 davis_toons // Jan 7, 2016 at 2:10 PM

giimps // Jan 7, 2016 at 9:44 AM

“..hopefully this will happen when we go down…”

Nothing too different will happen even if we go down.

We got to stay up, stay afloat. Keeping our financial of the club stable and wait for the Right Owner.

previous post: McClaren Praise For In-Form Midfielder