Newcastle Linked With French Central Midfielder

French daily L’Equipe is reporting today that Newcastle are one of the clubs interested in Abdoulaye Doucoure of Stade Rennais (Rennes)  who plays in central midfield.

We were reported interested in the 23 year-old last summer, so it’s not too surprising we are again being linked with the 6 ft tall youngster – who has played for all the French youth sides.

Abdoulaye Doucoure

Abdoulaye Doucoure – Newcastle interested

Leicester and Watford are the two other Premier League clubs who have made an approach for the player.

Watford already made an offer of just over £7M last summer towards the end of August, but the deal did not go through.

Surprisingly both Watford and Leicester are doing much better than Newcastle this season with Leicester in 2nd place and Watford in 9th place in the Premier League.

Newcastle are currently 18th with a measly 17 points and we have lost to both Leicester and Watford at home this season.

🙁

Abdoulaye has scored 3 goals in 15 appearances for the Ligue 1 side, and he’s been at the club for the last nine years.

And Rennes are doing quite well this season and are in 7th place in the French League.

Doucoure is good in both attacking and defensive roles as a central midfielder, but this season he has played in more of an attacking role for his club.

He made his debut in Ligue 1 back in the 2012/2013 season and so far has played 87 times for Rennes with 16 goals and 15 assists and his contract in France still has 18 months to run.

Watford appear to be in the lead for the youngster’s signature this month.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:47 AM

There’s a shock. An untested french player. Never saw that coming

• jazzyp

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Groundhog Day again

• John Tudor

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM

not another cheap french option
    why no italian portuguese greek swiss british crap

• John Tudor

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM

why no nothing
    fb oot

• John Tudor

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:53 AM

penfold quote
    we are working hard behind the scenes
    but the coffee machine is ferkt

• Slank

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:53 AM

I think anything that the French daily L’Equipe writes about us has to be taken with a large pinch of salt given yesterday’s announcement of us putting in a bid for Lacazette.

• Our Toon

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Blackley

I’ve said all I want to say on the subject, 4 days now you’ve been going round in circles with everyone. When you look at the accounts then come and have a constructive conversation, until then I see no point in debating with someone who clearly knows FA about what he perceives to be right.

The best starting point is for you to look at 2005/06 accounts and make your way through to now.

I’ll even make it easier for you and do this in steps. You get the accounts, I’ll happily discuss each year with you, either on the blog or in person!!

• Rotonda heights

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM

I’m sure penfold has the top LB, CB, creative midfielder and fleet footed skilful goal scorer all lined up for …..2018

I know ash knows nada about football but surely occasionally even he must ask himself why he continuously employs such chumps. There seems to be no price to pay for failure at NUFC. No one seems to be accountable.

Has jib finally been banned? No doubt he’ll create more multiples.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Tsunki
    My point? Surely its obvious by now? Folk use the advertising issue as the big stick to beat Ashley with. It’s small beer. It’s more than offset by the interest free loan. People who hate Ashley have their minds made up. He’s the devil. Everyyhing he does is evil.

Look at Croftus’ link. Nobody wants even to look and discuss. Why would they when their minds are made up?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Tsunki
    Nobody even gives credit for the interest free loan or the financial strength he brings to the club. Some deny it’s interest free. They happily describe the advertising as free advertising but deny the interest free loan is interest free. Because Ashley is the devil.

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Why do people care about this transfer window? We are not going to rescue this shipwreck. Yeah, I’m bitter, cynical, and inured to the painful experience of following this club. I only post here to vent my anger and frustration somewhere. Still, my irritability keeps me alive and kicking…

• carl

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:18 AM

When I think badly of Ashley I think back to the grim years of McKeag and Westwood, Mr Tuff will remember and time spent in the old division two. That was mediocrity existing under a small minded local businessman. Mr Tuff will remember only the blip of the Fairs Cup, 1969 to show. After the terrific nineties and the Indian summer of Bobby R (who arrived too late)MA inherited a rotten hulk of over priced prima donnas. Releagation was a blessing, a clearing out of the underperforming Allardyce signings and a return to the top flight.
    Know chairman/ owner could turn down the ridiculous offer for AC though it probably cost us four places in the PL
    Ashley is not a guy I would want to drink with being not too keen on flash night club inhabitants who sell trainers but he was and is the man trying to put the club back on a sound footing. On that count be careful what you wish for as we could end up with another Fat Freddy who took so much money out of the club. Would you be happy with a sheik or a far eastern capitalist mired in corruption. The consistently successful outfits since the PL started have built from the bottom up with a great crop of very young players. Now there’s a model to emulate. From where I stand that’s what MA/AP were trying to do. I would rather be at SJP than Elland Road or Fratton Park.

To those expressing rage and incoherant abuse I say get a life. Enjoy the football and along with Tuff as I have done for 60 years, often elated and disappointed but supporting the hometown club

• bladeuser

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:18 AM

even our transfer activity Lol has everybody laughing and taking the p@@@.joke club relegation a near cert
    ASH OUT
    SMAC OUT
    COLO OUT
    SHEEP ? Out

• Jib

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:19 AM

I think what may strengthen The Toon’s hand in negotiations with French clubs , is the fact we have French players out of favour who can be part exed back to Ligue 1 a la Cabella

I see the Nantes media (Nantes want to buy Gouffran) are still sure we will get Lacazette.

Rotonda
    Yoo hoo pet

Blackley
    You are starting to get it !
    Smelling the coffee at last ?

• reilly

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:21 AM

blackley im not roy cropper.
    i was 1 who wanted you to be aloud back on just because i knew it would piss troy off,i even asked dave to let you back,but he knew you would still go on and on and on,bit like know.

• reilly

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:24 AM

*now

• Slank

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Blackley and Brownlie

Regards Advertising and the Loan.

The loan is the only known amount.

The savings to the club because the loan does not incur commercial interest is not (as far as I am aware) quoted in the accounts of Newcastle United

The advertising or more correctly the revenue lost because the club do not receive money from SD for advertising their brand is subjective. Its subjective because the value is not (as far as I am aware) quoted in the accounts of either SD or Newcastle United.

So to my mind it’s almost a pointless subject.

A more interesting and related question is whether Emirates pay Arsenal to advertise at the Emirates Stadium and whether Etihad pay Man City to advertise at the Etihad Stadium ?

• Jib

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Clever boy Reilly – give yourself a goldstar and you can sit by teacher all morning.

• reilly

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:26 AM

i thought you would be a bit more humble after your carry on yesterday,rascist scumbag.

• Jib

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:29 AM

The Emirates had an all embracing deal which involved the building of the stadium (the sale of Highbury had a shortfall) and the shirts etc. etc.

Etihad and involvement wih Man City is still ongoing and is a really tangled web (don’t be surprised if Pelligrini manages the Quataris when he leaves to be replaced by Guardiola)

• Slank

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Carl @ 12

I think many bloggers were not around to suffer the grim years of McKeag and Westwood and so they cannot put into perspective today to what it was in the past.

In the past it was truly grim. Then there was no sunlight only dark clouds. Today we have sunlight but with clouds.

Today

• Jib

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM

I’m no rascist.
    However I may be a scumbag.

• jayphoto

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Never noticed or seen this player. Said before, im not sure ligue 1 is the place to sign too many cheap players from. I like the links to mowatt and Byram. Pretty sure the club have their eye on Denis Praet from Anderlecht but lets be honest, who would really be shocked if we signed no one

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:33 AM

G’morning guys!!

• expatmag

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Blsckley

You got banned for being an offensive boring lying tosser.

I see you have not learned your lesson yet.

• carl

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Unlike the Shepherds and Halls hasn’t paid himself a bean.” Mike Ashley issuing a club statement in May 2011.

“In relation to recent media speculation following the statement made by the Club on May 9, Newcastle United would like to make it clear that owner Mike Ashley is not looking for his interest free loan to be repaid, or to take any money out of the Club.”

• Jib

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Slank
    Remember when the season was over by October ?
    You’d go to SJP on a Wednesday evening floodlit match against another crap side like West Ham and there’d be about 20,000 there bored out of their minds.

• Slank

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Jib,

What I don’t know (and does anyone) is the specific arrangements between Emirates and Arsenal with regards to the ongoing advertising of the airline. I very much doubt Emirates pay Arsenal to advertise their airline. It’s probably been packaged up in the initial deal to build the stadium.

• carl

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM

expatmag
    I think I prefer your Aussie bragging before we stuffed you in the cricket. Are you the same age as Mr Tuff you should know better.

• carl

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Slank
    So we are making progress.

• expatmag

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Carl..

You got the wrong bloke mate. I dont even like cricket. And who is this Tuff bloke you refer to?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM

OurToon
    I give up. You can’t answer a simple question. Please stop bigging yourself up that you know more so you’re right.

I’ve said we seem to agree on the figures you quote. This is simply a point of logic. You say look st the accounts from then till now. What have years of accounts got to do with the simple question of why you consider Ashley’s lack of due diligence was detrimental in any way to the club, never mind so seriously detrimental such that he’s not a fit and proper person as your misleading article implies? I only seem to be arguing this point with you. Everyone else has backed off. Posada has come on and I’ve agreed everything he says. It contradicts you.

• carl

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:41 AM

?? I loved those European nights.

• Pootle2118

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:41 AM

How do chaps and chapesses, haven’t been on the blog for a while due to health issues and whatnot so lets get a few things out of the way.
    Merry Christmas (or whatever your holiday celebration is) and a happy New Year to all. Hope you all got what you wanted and wanted what you got on 25/12 and may 2016 bring you more success and happiness than 2015 did.
    Been doing a bit of speed reading to catch up and it looks like some things stay the same ie someone posts a comment that has nothing to do with the current post, others jump in and carry the ‘heated discussion’ on for about 3-4 posts and all of a sudden, someone posts a relevant football related comment and its passed over for about a dozen comments then someone picks up on it. Oh the never ending soap opera that is NUFC, I LOVE it :D.

So, with that out of the way, how is everyone?

• Slank

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Jib @ 27

‘..Remember when the season was over by October ?..’

Sadly only too well. Standing in the rain, wanting to go to the loo but fearful of the third world conditions I would find in the club’s ‘amenities’.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Expat
    Boring perhaps. But offensive or lying? You can’t say something like that without something to back it up. I won’t hold my breath.

• carl

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:45 AM

I remember the pre Hall crowds of sodden football paper beneath your feet.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Pootle
    People are free to post on what they like and ignore what they like.

• carl

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Expat – We all remember you mate and your bragging.

• Slank

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Carl @ 30

‘So we are making progress. ‘

I would say so only because I have a long and tortured memory but I did see us win our last trophy which is probably more than many bloggers can say.

1 2 3 5