The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Now Have Great Chance To Sign Top Center-Back

11:59 am, Friday, January 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 52 Comments

Three weeks ago Newcastle were said to be one of the clubs interested in signing the impressive Lamine Kone, the impressive Lorient center-back who was born in Paris and is of Ivorian descent.

He’s been one of the best center-backs in Ligue 1 for a few seasons now.

Sunderland were said to be favorites to sign him and he was on Wearside recently, but surprisingly did now sign for the Black Cats – which is surprising to say the least after the fee of £5M had been agreed between the clubs.

Lamine Kone – the impressive Lorient center-back

Burt yesterday Sunderland announced they had signed the massive 6ft 5ins central defender Jan Kirchoff from Bayern Munich for a low £750K.

So it looks like Sunderland may have pulled out of the Kone deal – once they knew they could get a cheaper option.

It seems that both Sunderland and Newcastle go for the cheap options these days and maybe that’s why we are second bottom and third bottom at the moment in the Premier League?

Aston Villa and Norwich were also interested in Kone and as we said earlier Newcastle were linked with the player – who we think would be a very good signing for us.

Any ordinary clubs who had a defensive record like that of newcatsle over the past three and half seasons would want to straighten the defense – but we don’t know what Graham Carr is thinking.

We have conceded 191 goals in the last three seasons and 35 goals in 20 league games this season so the defense is a definite weakness – and usually you want to strengthen the weaknesses in the side.

So here is a player we could buy since he’s suddenly become available but we don’t know what Graham Carr is even thinking – maybe he wants to bring in a couple of wingers in this January?

Certainly Sunderland’s conduct with Lorient and their player Kone is not good and Lorient Vice-President Alex Hayes was not too happy:

“It is quite outrageous, we gave Sunderland our consent last Tuesday, Lamine left the next day to have contract talks, but the player warned us there were problems in negotiating his contract.”

“Because of the holidays it dragged out until Monday and then they tried to change the pre-agreed deal. Lamine called me to ask if he could return to Lorient and I told him with great pleasure.”

“Our defensive pillar was lost for the cup game against Tours and the Rennes derby and all for nothing.”  “It is quite outrageous on the part of Sunderland who, meanwhile, have negotiated with a Bayern player.”

That does not reflect well on Sunderland as a club.

But back to the more important question – will Newcastle show some real initiative and buy the 6ft 3ins tall Kone for just £5M – now that he’s become suddenly available?

Wait for it ……..

Probably not.

Kone has been in good form for his French club this year with 16 appearances and he joined them back in 2010 from Chateauroux and has so far played 136 times with 7 goals and  picked up his first cap for the Ivory Coast last year.

What do you think?

52 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:01 PM

You must of heard me Ed….

• 2 Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Blackley “playing the man” is your mantra and you died by it; regardless of what others do it’s hypocrisy and there is no comeback.

You can “howl” if you like in your irritatingly superior way, but your childish deflection is plainly visible. Your clanging is too loud for you to think properly. It obviously bites deep to relinquish an argument but you did that by falling into the trap you set for others, so whatever integrity you attributed to yourself in argument is lost by your own hand.

I have dispensed with you as a credible poster, and as has been done on another forum, I fail to see any point in engaging you in constructive dialogue any longer after that. I’ve no doubt your bleating and fake mockery will continue unabated but I think I will pass on the invitations to participate in your deliberately contrary bluster.

• 3 Ian Toon // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Tsunki- Stop. He’s not in my opinion an embittered nutter and doesn’t employ sheer nastiness. His judgment on football related issues is generally sound. Just don’t get involved with the NUFC politics.
    Sorry for the interruption. Just my humble opinion.

• 4 spitfire_ // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Can someone explain to me, how he’s “top center back”?

• 5 nightfa11 // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:14 PM

makes sense.. for permanent transfers african players are our best bet this winter..cos they dont have euros in the summer..

• 6 Average_Contents // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Yes tsunki stop. Naughty boy.

It’s only taken you how long to figure out that the preening parrot never gives up regardless if he’s been found out. I gave up a long time ago because it’s quite frankly a massive waste of time and clogs the blog.

Speaking of clogging the blog, ibiza is back.

• 7 Rotonda heights // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Aren’t embittered nutters people who create multiple accounts to back themselves up. Just an opinion like.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:22 PM

cracked me up that…lol

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Got no chance of signing him or anyone. Not in the market for players.

Ashley is going to take a chance on the squad we have got because he is on winner if we stay up or go down by not buying anyone.

1) WIN! WIN! – If we stay up then he gets the TV bonus something like £70 million and has not had to shell out on new players. NO outlay

2) WIN! -If we go down gets the parachute money something like £35 million but looses £70 million TV bonus – takes a loss of £35 million but he has NOT had to shell out say £35 million for players and maybe will recuperate monies by selling players

3) LOOSE – If we go down by buying players for £35 million
    looses £70 million TV deal – gains £35 parachute payment and maybe will recuperate some of the monies by selling players

• 10 Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Ian Toon butt out, all of you. Blackley is a nuisance and has cemented his infamy here, along with you and your sad multiple identity pathos. Go after someone who cares.

• 11 jazzyp // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:31 PM

The first choice defender has made 110 Ligue 1 appearances in the last four and a half years but has suffered a series of injuries that have interrupted his career, with thigh strains, knee problems and groin strain.
    Just a snippet re Kone
    Edd I do enjoy your blog but am becoming disillusioned with your take on what is a good player and what is a bad player.
    Apart from all the relegation threatened teams I don’t see any top team throughout Europe showing any interest in this guy.
    Enough of the French league cheap imports. Kone….Saivet are not gonna improve the squad !!

• 12 Ron Knee // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM

A Board member speaks:

“I am continually asked whether the club will be buying players in the January window. My answer to that is I can’t say yes or no.

But there is work going on behind-the-scenes and clearly everybody would like some new players or to see the squad strengthened.

It goes without saying that if Newcastle get the chance to make some sensible signings we will all benefit.” (Moncur)

• 13 lesh // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Charnley knows that it would take an offer of £5m to get Kone so he has no excuse for being unable to get him ‘over the line’.

On another note, I see Blackley’s back his pompous perch. That surprises me as he left the blog rather quickly after I suggested that he and Jib/ Jane/ Jeff might be one and the same!

• 14 Mister Tuff // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I had hoped that in 2016 it might have been the year when the Master Multiple stopped his blog mischief and trying to cause division/playing some folk against others. Clearly twas not to be.
    Trailblazing the multiple identity ethos has caused a lot of aggro on here – really cannot see the point – real men stand up for themselves -and don’t hide behind the skirts of an alias.

• 15 nightfa11 // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Rotonda.. Its true 🙂 european players wont do anything to ruin their chances to be in the squad for the euros.. Best we can hope for are loan deals for players like remy – top club, top player, But in need of game time to get in form and in national squad.. As for non european..they can afford to gamble..

• 16 lesh // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Ron Knee

Moncur’s comment is typical of our so-called board – it doesn’t give a categoric yes or no!
    It’s a typical of the ambiguous answers we’ve become used to.

• 17 jazzyp // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Ron knee

“Sensible signings”……Doesn’t sound promising

• 18 nut meg // Jan 8, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Do you think Moncur’s been wheeled out to give SM a break from trying to give the media an answer through clenched teeth? Any chance of us swooping today or is it another rest day for the board,what do you think?

• 19 Jib // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Jose Anigo
    Who was coach of Marseilles before Bielsa (he’s now in Tunisia) has tweeted Thauvin that he must not follow the example of Ben Arfa.
    He must grit his teeth and show the PL what sort of player he was when Marseilles first bought him from Bastia , cheeky , precocious with flashes of brilliance.

• 20 firebug666 // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:04 PM

“It goes without saying that if Newcastle get the chance to make some sensible signings we will all benefit.”

Sounds familiar. the only bits missing are, the right type of player for this club, with the proper DNA.

It all sounds like nobody is coming in this winter.

Take into account Penfold saying the will NOT do business in the January windows because of over inflated prices, and Ashley saying he wan’t value pound for pound, and you need not wait or get excited by the paper rumours anymore.

• 21 Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM

I’m hoping that soon the transfer window will reveal footy matters worth debating so all this apologist nonsense and petty point scoring can be brushed aside. Wind Up Merchants.

• 22 Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Firebug – but Charnley obviously doesn’t mind being one of the over-inflators by selling. Maybe this is why offloading players like Willo is harder than pulling out your own teeth..

• 23 Ian Toon // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Mr Tuff ‘When bad men combine, good men must
    What happened to with age comes wisdom.

• 24 firebug666 // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Oh yes, selling is always allowed, anything to increase the bank balance.

• 25 Ian Toon // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM

The answer is organise. Your attempt to be hailed as, The Father of the Blog is doomed to failure. You should spend more time in the real world and do some painstaking charity work in your community- give something back.
    It’s got to be better than your increasingly feeble attempts to use the devious and malcontents. Hail Wor Ashley and Jack Root to name but two know you for what you are. Stop the dirty tricks .

• 26 Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Is hour talking to himself? Wouldn’t be the first time.

I get the feeling someone senses the blog pest camaraderie is solidifying and is starting to feel emboldened to step up the self righteous chirping.

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here todaaaayy..

• 27 sparky55 // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM

looking at his injury record I would suggest he’ll do a really good job at keeping us at the top of the jury league.

I wonder if that league counts as winning something leading to the fat b@st@rd leaving us for good.

• 28 Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Is he talking etc…

• 29 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Sir Tuff,

to quote, , ‘and don’t hide behind the skirts of an alias. ”

does that include a fashionable kilt as well?

• 30 toon kk // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM

MA could solve the problems at our club if he wanted too. But not doing anything is a gamble also a far cheaper option.
    I’m not sure Charnless and the so called board have the brain power to scout propley never mind know what we actually need.

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Good morning Blackley. I left the argument as I had other things to do, but I noticed you established your hypocrisy by “playing the man” yourself with your “helper” jibes. That destroys your credibility unfortunately.

Playing the man is, based on no evidence, calling someone an offensive, boring, lying tosser. Something that actually contravenes the rules of the blog. Nothing happens of course. But I get suspended for being polite to folk but happening to end up in petty little arguments like this where people insult me.

Contrary to what you say. Playing the man is not my mantra. My mantra is playing the man wins no arguments; it loses them. It’s important to get it right. Here’s another mantra: When you need to misrepresent someone to score a cheap point, it loses the argument.

You can’t force someone to accept your opinion. Just lay out your arguments and let others make their own minds up. I laid out the views of Mort, Bedi, information from the Swiss Rambler, and urged folk to look at Croftus’ link of EPL clubs commercial figures. I’m happy if you want to write them off. That’s your prerogative.

I’m happy if you want to resort to playing the man. That’s all OurToon can do, as he has just reminded us above. He thinks he wins the debate by doing it. Like Expat saying I haven’t got a season ticket or I wasn’t at the match because I said exactly the same as his TV commentator, OurToon thinks he wins the debate by trying to paint me as someone who’s never heard of Chris Mort. He may win it in some people’s eyes.

As for your accusation of my playing the man after you tried to set me up instead of trying to debate in an open and honest way, I would say this. If near the end of a debate, you suddenly come out with,

“This is the embarrassing bit for you – I do help run a limited company”,

you set yourself up for a fall from a great height.

I didn’t so much play the man as laugh at loud. If you set up “the man and his credentials” as an “argument”, I’ve no problem dealing with that argument.

If someone announces they’re an accountant, tax adviser or solicitor, it doesn’t win an argument. If they were my credentials, I’d like to think I’d never use them to try to win an argument. You’ve no idea of other people’s credentials. If they’re better than yours, do they win the argument?

By that stage, after you had led me up the garden path, only to give me the big reveal, I couldn’t help but laugh. Especially with comments such as,

“Sorry if it’s intimidating but there it is”

And the all time classic, describing your role as a helper,

“I do more than make the coffee and keep the printer in paper.”

Yeah Tsunki, that’s intimidating. You lay waste to every else’s credibility or knowledge of financial matters with that one.

Surely, humour is the best part of the blog? I was hearing the sound of trumpets, a uniformed procession and crowds cheering. Then, at the head comes a resplendent dignitary with a beautiful silver chafing dish. Grandly lifting the lid to the audience, with ticker tape fluttering down from the roof, he reveals a mini chocolate cupcake from the Tesco Finest range.

If I ever lower myself to announcing my qualifications to help me win an argument, revealing and declaring, “This is the embarrassing bit for you”, you can laugh at me forevermore. If I don’t mind Expat calling me a liar based on nothing, I wouldn’t mind that. I’d be simply pleased I had brought some light relief and laughter to the blog.

Honestly Tsunki. No hard feelings.

• 32 Our Toon // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Thanks for getting involved, bit confused by your comment of not wanting to get involved in the politics but still giving an opinion when the conversation has nothing to do with you at all.

• 33 barkel // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM

is this still going on?

• 34 Our Toon // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Yawn!!!! It’s like groundhog day on here….the same person debating himself. Trying so hard it’s clear to see he’s trying to convince himself.

It’s been said recently by people who call themselves football experts. The 3 worst run clubs are currently in the relegation spots.

• 35 jazzyp // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Mashley down 1 bill in profit………..Let the accountants commence

• 36 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 8, 2016 at 1:54 PM

not even 8am here, and already I need a drink… go figure…

• 37 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Another classic bit of reasoning from OurToon

“Next week he’ll go back to the Colo bashing, which is just as shocking seeing as his very season ticket helps for that players wages!!”

If it had been said by someone who wasn’t a football supporter or who had never been to a football match or had no idea how football worked, you could just about fathom it.

• 38 hibbitt // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM

blackley…….give it a rest man your going on like broken record any point you were trying to make is long forgotten and your coming across like a silly old fart who can’t lot go

• 39 Sliema // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Can we really still attract top players to this club? I guess Gini was quite a coup but it’s pretty pointless if we aren’t able to add others. I don’t see why any quality players would sign for us in our current debacle and it amazes me when the likes of Gini do sign!

• 40 jazzyp // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Townsend available on a loan now as everyone is baulking at the 10 mill price Spurs want for there England international.
    Worth a punt with a view to a permanent if he comes good as would be Remy.8 days into the transfer window and it feels like weeks and weeks without a hope of anything.
    Dok pour me one while your at it !

• 41 Our Toon // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Yawn….All I see is woof woof….dog barking!!

Hey don’t forget everyone it wasn’t Ashley’s fault we got relegated either, he was only doing what was best for the club!!

• 42 Our Toon // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:10 PM

It doesn’t seem like we are close to signing anyone, bit of a shame as it would have been crucial to move quickly!!

• 43 toon kk // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Calm down, you’re getting stressed over
    fk all.

• 44 hibbitt // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM

jassyp not even worth a loan no better then we in fact pi** poor

• 45 Tsunki // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Blackley you are a like bins falling over trying to turn your faults over to someone else with your “No-YOU are!” gainsaying.. Quite rightly you deserved to be shunned from that blog, you are continuing as such.

• 46 jazzyp // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Ya probably right mate……Just getting desperate lol

• 47 AK Malaysia // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Still waiting for new signing news…. hmmmm

• 48 Belfast // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM

I would actually sign Townsend on loan if possible. He has to play out of his skin to make the England squad in the summer. Maybe a loan with option to buy.

• 49 Rotonda heights // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Would love to see his whole tacky empire unravel.

Some people use their great wealth and priveliged position to do great things that benefit many.

• 50 Rotonda heights // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM

LOSE = opposite of winning
    LOOSE : when something, usually an animal gets out.

• 51 manxpie // Jan 8, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Aye rotunda I’m not usually a grammar police kind but that one annoys me about the same as when people said afra instead of arfa
    townsend would be good on loan he’ll be itching to impress plus when he was playing for spurs wasn’t saldado the main man upfront that’s got to have fusked up his assists chart

• 52 AndyMac // Jan 8, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Actually Manxpie Lose is the opposite of Win not winning 😉

However in my opinion a grammatical faux pas of biblical proportions is the use of “could of”. As in we could of bought Charlie Austin !

previous post: This Could Be Newcastle’s Best Side For Watford