Newcastle To Launch Record Breaking Bid For Striker

According to the Daily Mail, Newcastle may be ready to launch a club record bid to nab West Brom striker Saido Berahino, who wants to leave West Brom in January.

And since there is bad feeling between West Brom and Spurs because of the antics of Spurs trying to prise the young striker away from the Baggies in the summer – it could be an opportunity for Newcastle to move in and seal the deal.

Saido Berahino

West Brom striker Saido Berahino

The Mail is reporting Newcastle are readying the bid, but apparently there was an £18M record bid made by Newcastle in the summer – and that bid is still valid according to reports today.

Newcastle record signing is still the £17M we paid Real Madrid for Michael Owen in August of 2005, followed by the £15M we paid Blackburn Rovers for Alan Shearer in the summer of 1996.

And last summer the £14.5M signing of Georginio Wijnaldum from Dutch club PSV was the third highest, but this deal would be the most expensive ever for Newcastle.

Saido has had some problems at West Brom since the Spurs overtures last summer, but he would be an excellent acquisition for us.

The big challenge for Newcastle will be to persuade him to join us when we are in danger of being relegated in May.

What do you think?

• Small World

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:10 PM

How long to get him match fit and then his mind in the right place after a deadline day purchase? A transfer is unlilely to hapen say tomorrow.

If he was fit and in form I’d say go for him. However given both parties current circumstances i’d say pass on this one.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:10 PM

18 million?? Figures around this number has been bandied around a lot the past few days, it’s interesting. I still see berahino as much as a gamble as a foreign player if I’m honest.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:11 PM

We need players who are in form now whatever the long term potential

• dogfish

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:11 PM

REPOST

I just wanted to chip in on the Thauvin issue.

I was at the game yesterday and nobody played well. Mitrovic is lazy, Janmatt was awful, Gini invisible (other than that brilliant through ball to Deeney). The only one to have an ok game in my opinion was Mbemba.

Thauvin was useless when he came on, but so was everything else. The thing that pushed the away fans over the edge was him not challenging for the ball right in front of the away end, then losing the ball and rolling around on the floor because somebody stepped on his finger or something.

Have to say I don’t like fans booing our own players or negative chants towards our players. I haven’t been to a game for a few years so this came as a surprise and disappointment to me. It’s too soon to judge Thauvin however when you pay 13m for a player you do expect more . Having said that, nobody we bought in summer has been worth it other than Mbemba and maybe Gini (in flashes).

There were boos when Mbabu was subbed, understandably he was having a good game. This could be interpreted by Thauvin as being directed at him. I do feel sorry for him, there was a lot of hate directed at him and no matter how much you get paid that’s going to have an effect mentally.

The hostility towards the team at the end of the game is worrying and highlights the huge problem we have as a club. Especially when you think although we didn’t play brilliantly we definitely deserved to win.

ADDED

Never seen Berahino play well, hope we don’t sign him. I’d rather Austin, Remy or Carrol, all of whom would probably be cheaper. Hell I’d take Jonathon Walteres over Berahino. This surely won’t happen for that money knowing Ashley

• optimistic prime

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM

This would be a good pound for pound signing, he must be around a 1000lbs ATM

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:13 PM

I love watching pochettino teams play although I only first heard of him as a manager at Southampton. An underrated manager.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM

And how many believes we are seriously bidding this much or even close for players?

I can see us bidding for this Saivet fella. He is reactively cheap and most importantly we don’t need him 😉

• WWSBRD

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Would rather Austin and Remy

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:20 PM

As I understand it, NUFC has the seventh highest wage bill in the EPL. Is it not right to remember that when bashing Ashley?

• WWSBRD

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Blackley
    …why?

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Every time I hear saivet I just remember when I was younger he was absolutely amazing on champ man. I’ve not seen him play this year in his supposedly new dm position. Though in past performances as a winger or striker I’d say no thanks.

What I would do in the summer or even now is sell de Jong, as much as I would like him to succeed, and get Franco Vasquez. Perfect number 10 I think he’s a bit unsettled because dybala left in the summer.

• Sliema

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Blackley@9

• optimistic prime

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM

If we’re the 7th highest payers in pl then one of two things is up.

1, Ashley’s still paying Cabaye HBA Deubuchy etc and pocketing the wages.

2, we’re paying over the odds wages for players not fit for purpose due to being a poorly run club.

Either way ASHLEY OUT!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM

*relatively

• hibbitt

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM

blackley……if that is correct it’s even more embarrissing when you see the shit were paying it to

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM

So what if wage bill is high, were 19th richest club on the planet according to Deloitte. That actually makes us 7th richest in the premier league. So having the 7th highest wage bill should be expected.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM

…and being positioned at #19 should…wait a minute!

• Offkey

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Blackley – of course, but if I was in charge of the purse strings and I allowed my missus to spend on the shopping budget and for years she has only bought me and our kids sweets to eat……..I think i am partly responsible for cruelty, whether or not I give her more money than other partners on the street.

• James RS

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Berahino excellent acquisition I don’t think so … Why has he not been bought yet… Bad attitude , bad value why are Spurs after Loic Remy then. Like dogfish I’ve never seen him play well; even Austin is more of a tryer. He’d be a waste of money with all the better value strikers about. Please don’t sign him look elsewhere pay less and get better. It keeps coming back to Berahino because we can’t get anyone else. West Brom don’t want him they’d rather have the money. I could go on

• Jib

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Johnathas scores for Real Sociedad !
    Whoops
    Gary Neville doesn’t look happy

• Jib

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Whoops 2nd for Johnathas !

• optimistic prime

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Tumbleweed moment

• SuperShearer

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Soccer Sauce @soccer_sauce
    Breaking: Henri Saivet expected to become #NUFC first signing next week. Deal could be done by Wednesday

• James RS

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:43 PM

£20 million for Berahino I cringe

• James RS

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Yes as much of a gamble as a foreign player mr Rolando Aarons I agree

• Jib

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Man U are sniffing and he’s a Man U supporter 🙁

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:47 PM

It’s alright, Neville is a good pundit but I always get the impression that he thinks he can do better when criticising a manager. Now he’s finding out it is very difficult. To be honest it is what Valencia deserve, they weren’t doing as good as last year but the previous manager nuno didn’t deserve the sack.

• Offkey

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:49 PM

On berahino, there have been a few strikers who are really good one year in the league and never get back to that level………one season wonders are always a risk, don’t really no music has else about him to judge.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Lol mr Rolando aarons!! I’m ronaldo aarons btw his bigger, faster, stronger and better looking brother 😉

• Jib

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Soccer Sauce @soccer_sauce

WE HAVE ENOUGH WINGERS TO OPEN A SPORTS DIRECT WINGERS SHOP !!!!!

• Offkey

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Know much else*

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM

@Jib

Hes been playing in midfield this season could be a possible Tiote replacement?

• firebug666

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Football__Tweet ?@Football__Tweet 1m1 minute ago
    After losing to Real Sociedad, Gary Neville is yet to lead his Valencia side to a league win in 5 matches (D3, L2).

• Goofy

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:54 PM

18-20 mil for lazy useless lump, no thanks. Why do we not just take Arma back? He’s banging goals in, his confidence will be soaring and he works for 90 mins, seems the logical choice but hey it’s Nufc and there is no logic.

I cant them doing anything thats going to get our hearts racing in this window, just more let downs.

How much do teams get for the parachute payment? If it’s 50-80 mil the fat man’s not going to care. Yeah he’s lost a billion in the last 5 weeks but that’s only stock market shares that can just as easily go back up (i’m not an expert on that stuff).

My wishful thinking side is hoping he’s gonna cash his chips in and invest in something else.

• firebug666

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Not sure about a replacement for Tiote, Saivet is an attacking midfielder, forward or winger.

We do need a good solid DM but Saivet does not play that position.

• hibbitt

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:55 PM

lee has he been any good playing there or just playing there because they had no one else

• Jib

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Oh OK my bad
    Haven’t seen Les Girondins much this season.
    Willy Sagnol knows what he’s doing.

• Offkey

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Or is an alan smith

• Sazzer

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Saivet have been converted into cm/dm.

• hibbitt

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM

sazzer is he any good ??

1 2 3 8