The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Great News – Newcastle Announce Signing Of Henri Saivet

8:32 pm, Monday, January 11th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

Henri Saivet passed his medical today and Newcastle have announced their first signing of January – the 25 year-old 9 times capped Senegal International midfielder

Newcastle are also trying to tie up a deal for Jonjo Shelvey the Swansea central midfielder – hopefully he will be next through the door.

henri saivet

Henri Saivet – signed for Newcastle today

This is what Newcastle issued on their web-site a short time ago:

Newcastle United have completed the signing of Senegalese international Henri Saivet from Bordeaux.

The 25-year-old central midfielder has put pen to paper on a five-and-a-half-year deal at St. James’ Park, arriving for an undisclosed fee.

Saivet came up through the ranks at Bordeaux, making his first team debut in 2007 at the age of 17.

He went on to make 178 appearances for the Ligue 1 side in all competitions, scoring 23 goals, and featured in both Europa League group games against the Magpies in the 2012/13 campaign.

This is what Saivet said:

“I am very happy to be here at Newcastle,”

“I am really proud to be able to play for this Club, and I am really excited at the challenge that lies ahead.”

“St. James’ Park is a really impressive and special stadium. In France there is nothing that compares to this, and I can’t wait to get out there with my new teammates and help the team climb the table.”

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren said:

“Henri is someone the Club have been watching for a while, and he has developed into an excellent player at Bordeaux.”

“This is someone with a very good mentality, who is a tough player and a winner. Those are key qualities you need in the Premier League and we are looking forward to seeing him pulling on the Newcastle United shirt.”

This is a very good start for the club and Henri can play in a number of positions including central midfielder or out on either wing or as a striker – so he should be very useful to Newcastle during the important run-in to the season.

We welcome Henri to Newcastle United.

Tags: Contracts · Henri Saivet · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Evening all, back from another visit to the hosp.
    Is this Saivet any cop?
    Shelvey is a player who I think we need but CB and a goal machine are needed to get us out of our plight

• 2 firebug666 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Take a Chancel on me

WB marra hope all is well.

I hope he is a pleasant surprise for us, he has all the attributes, so I hope he can bring them to the prem.

• 3 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:36 PM

dunno if another French player is “great”… but ed was excited enough to call us ‘Newcatsle” lol

• 4 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:37 PM

and chancel,

hope youre well, always god to see you post… all the best for the new year lad

• 5 SPRINGY // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:37 PM

take a chancel
    hope ya areet mate…james toon posted a review on previous page canny read if ya get time…sorry cant remember the post number tho

• 6 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:37 PM

see what I did there, I pulled an ed… called you god haha

• 7 lesh // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:37 PM

So now for Shelvey, Messi and a quality CB….. And hopefully somebody who’s able to get us up the table – smartish.

• 8 Average_Contents // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Ta FB

They described him as diminutive on that webpage from previous someone posted, but he looks pretty big in those pics.

Here’s hoping he turns out to be a decent player and can make a difference.

• 9 JackButler // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:39 PM

SM has already said, more or less, that this is another Carr signing and nothing to do with him, let’s hope this lad works out and can hit the ground running as by God, we need something to turn our fortunes around

• 10 Bri // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:39 PM

“I can’t wait to get out there with my new team mates”
    Hope he’s just as keen at the start of next season.

• 11 Belfast // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:39 PM

He’s standing on a step average contents lol

• 12 firebug666 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:39 PM

dok – the horrid colonial

I just hope we get what it says on the tin mate, if we do we could be in for a better second half of this season.

Now get Shelvy and a striker in!

• 13 AncientC // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:39 PM

So did the club buy Saivet because he is paramount to what the club need right now.

Saivet only had 12 months left on his deal in the next transfer window; as such, Carr was able to get a very good price for him.

• 14 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Thanks Firebug, Springy and Dok.

Seems like the quality is better, we have a decentish team but it just has the feel that McClaren hasn’t got a clue what to do with them!

• 15 SPRINGY // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM

take a chancel
    post 56

• 16 JackButler // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Hope you are well mate

• 17 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM

This is what Steve McLaren had to say a short while ago……..”Henri is a player that we feel will excel in the Championship next season. Hopefully we can add to the squad so we will be capable of challenging to come straight back up for the 2017-18 season.”

Fingers crossed eh lads !!

• 18 JamesToon // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Hope we revert back to the 4-2-3-1 used against Arsenal for the game tomorrow:

Please no Gouffran.

Man united are really there for the taking and a massive chance for us to get 3 points

• 19 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM

thanks Springy

• 20 Belfast // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Step = stair

• 21 firebug666 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM

On some of his Vids he is beating some tall lads in the air to score mate, he may not be tall but he seems to have some agility.

• 22 croftus5678 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:44 PM

@18 jt

colo and thauvin injured bud.

rolando should be ready though.

• 23 beermonkey // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:44 PM

how are you good to see ur around again

don’t wanna get into a debate on pards I think cabaye has been good for them but was it 13 mill and over 100k a week looks lke he over paid a little but not when u factor income for places and stuff he also was never a risk
    but some of his other buys shola wickham 8 mill no goals
    but glad he gets to decide who wants makes a big diff and something we need to do

• 24 Belfast // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Aye quite telling McClaren says “the club have been watching” not me or I.

• 25 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:46 PM

I read somewhere earlier that Wilifred Bony wants to leave Citeh and we are interested, I’m not sure I would take him tbh

• 26 Belfast // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Jack Butler*

• 27 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:46 PM

you forgot a CB and an actual coach…. 🙂

• 28 Average_Contents // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:47 PM

It’s not as if the steps are going up now is it mate

• 29 firebug666 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:47 PM

I doubt we could afford him now mate.

• 30 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Thanks to all asking I’ve more scars from surgeries than owt else, should be on the mend now tbh, may still need a hip replacement though 🙁

• 31 firebug666 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Damn it, I was just to keep to post. 😀

• 32 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Citeh are willing to take a loss on him but I just feel he’s lost his touch since his Citeh move

• 33 SPRINGY // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:49 PM

3-5-2 for me depending available players like…
    all depending on available players like i said.

• 34 jazzyp // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Swansea will use the money from the sale of shelvey to bring bony back…hence clearing them out of the relegation mire

• 35 firebug666 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM

City could give him away mate, but could we match his wage demands, and your right he’s not been the prolific striker folks thought he was.

• 36 JackButler // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM

The last thing I want to do is debate Pardew, the point was that the manager has to have more control over signings, allowing a scout dictate is suicidal

• 37 BeeGuy // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Praise or derision for the new man? I’ll Saivet for later.

• 38 Viduka // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM

What’s your “would love to see the back of” list?gabby,gouff,marv,cisse if replaced? Iron Mike if replaced?

• 39 firebug666 // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Newcastle United host Manchester United on Tuesday January 12 for the game at St James’ Park and the match carries a 7.45pm kick off.

Referee: Mike Dean
    Linesmen: S Bennett and E Smart
    Fourth Official: R Madley

• 40 JP...from The Rock // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Good that we got someone in pretty early. Now bring us Shelvey a LB and a Striker, then I think we will be safe, and only then.

Chancel I don’t know what happened to you but I hope you’re alright mate.

• 41 NoahJ // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:55 PM

good signing for the price he is; he is an upgrade on any one of colback, tiote or anita

Unless he’s dispatched back to his wing position (from when he was younger).

Am satisfied as long as we get a top striker too

• 42 Toonces // Jan 11, 2016 at 8:59 PM

I’m not so certain that the opportunity was ever really there to try to bring Cabaye back to Tyneside. I really enjoyed him in the Black and White but he likely wanted to leave NUFC for all the suspected reasons: no ambition by the club, chance to play champs league, incompetence in the club hierarchy (JFK really?), wage cap due to colo somehow being designated as always the highest paid player). Nothing in the time since he left would have changed this opinion about our club. So maybe he was available from PSG for 10M or 13M whatever. And maybe Palace is giving him 100K per week. It was always suggested that Pardew was a manager that the players liked to play for, tactics and such aside. BUT what would make you think he would want to return to Newcastle under this regime?

• 43 U.S Magpie // Jan 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Ok Lads and Lasses. Lets try looking forward, this new signing is something we need. He can play as a play maker on the wing and can score goals, lets give the kid a chance before with knock him. If we get Shelvey in and these two gel then we are looking golden. On CB and a forward and we look to have the making of the spine we need. I for one and yes knowing he has had some issues would like to see Berahino signed. The kid is young and he can score goals, Newcastle may be the right club for him. Yes needs to lose a few pounds but that will not take long. We have bashed the higher ups for weeks especially me, but they seem to have started moving in the right direction. You never know by weeks end we could have three players signed to the club. Howay the Toon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 44 nearly // Jan 11, 2016 at 9:07 PM

cabaye would have come back no doubt about it ,he was not given the chance to and rightly so

• 45 SA Toon // Jan 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Pleased that Saivet has signed. He looks useful from what I’ve seen and, when you’re in the position we’re in, it can be difficult to get the first one over that famous line. Once you’ve got the first signing it shows some intention and makes it easier to sign other players. Let’s get Shelvey sorted and I think we’ll have added a bit of backbone and some skill to the midfield. Then Austen / Remy / Berahino and I’ll be satisfied. Willems and a good CB would of course seal the deal but, on current form, I think goals are more important. Hopefully the new blood will also fire up the lads for tomorrow night. Big game and MU are there for the taking I think!

• 46 lesh // Jan 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Good to hear your well..

With your resilience, you’re just the sort of strong character to breathe life into the squad.

Hang in there bonny lad and keep smiling

• 47 lesh // Jan 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM

If £8m has been offered for Tiote, Charnley’ll be frothing at the mouth in excitement.

• 48 lesh // Jan 11, 2016 at 10:55 PM

With a name like Saivet, he should’ve been a keeper.

previous post: Newcastle Close To Second Deal – Favorites To Sign Englishman