The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Report – Newcastle After New Striker Target

8:02 am, Tuesday, January 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

There´s a disturbing report in Bild in Germany today that Newcastle United want to sign former Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner,

At the end of the article, in which they say the Danish striker looks a little overweight and not in the best of shape after the winter break, they suggest that Bendtner´s departure from Wolfsburg may be imminent.

nicklas Bendtner

Nicklas Bendtner – Wolfsburg striker

His agent Marco Ivan Benes has been looking for a new club for Bendtner for weeks now and since everybody seems to be aware that Newcastle need a new striker brought in this month, Newcastle are the club mentioned as a likely destination.

But they say no agreement has been reaches between the two clubs but that Nicklas would be interested at the chance of joining Newcastle and playing again in the Premier League.

Bendtner joined Wolfsburg on a three-year deal in the summer of 2014, so his deal in Germany still has 18 months to run.

But we´d be very surprised if Newcastle have any interest in the former Arsenal striker, who seems well past his best these days and his attitude is also suspect.

He has played 44 times for Wolfsburg over the last eighteen months and scored 9 goals,

We don´t think Bendtner is the answer to Newcastle´s problems and he´s also not an easy player to manage.

The 72 times capped Danish striker (29 goals) turns 28 this Saturday.

What do you think?

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Repost as ED caught me again.

expatmag

Yeah I know mate, my point is you cannot just single out those two players, the whole team has to shoulder the blame.

If Mitrovic got more chances in a game to score he would put some of them away, but the team have failed to provide him with enough chances. I’m hoping that some new signings this month will provide him with more opportunities.

Thauvin gets a few minutes a game for the most part, so how can he be judged. It takes as long as he gets coming on as a sub to get up to speed in the game.

The team need to buck up and they look like that is starting, now we need to feed the strikers and give them a chance to score.

• 2 croftus5678 // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM

this has got to be his agent talking up intrest in the player surely ???

• 3 nut meg // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:14 AM

No thank you!

• 4 Lindisfarne // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Bendtner has only got friends in Spearmint Rhinos

• 5 Toonfan8 // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM

no Bendtner, we need quick striker in Remy on loan and sign Berahino and Shelvey, two young englishmen and potential internationals…then in the summer Koulibaly,Willems,Redmond or now…then we will have some team…

• 6 firebug666 // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:17 AM

I’m not sure Newcastle would be a good place for Bendtner, wasn’t he with Cattamole kicking wing mirrors off cars in the city centre, or have I got him mixed up with somebody else.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:19 AM

Expat,
    I’m with Firebug. Mitro hasn’t had good chances on a regular basis, and without that no striker scores regularly. Yes, he has had a few he should have done better with but not that many, and with a bit more confidence he will start scoring. Service to him has been pretty poor in the main part and that is the key issue. It is slowly getting better, but from the Watford highlights Mitro had one half chance where the ball was about a foot too far in front of him.

His all round play is creating chances for others as well, so I wouldn’t call him a failure at all. The failure was not bringing in a mobile centre forward to play up with him in a 2 or 3.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:22 AM

Bendtner…. The press in Germany are really scraping the barrel here aren’t they…..

I see reports say Berahinho refuses to go anywhere other than Spuds, oh well, the right type of player, but if that is his attitude then lets look elsewhere. Problem is there are very few others who have perm experience and suitable for us. Remy looks the best fit, and there is no guarantee he will want to come north again.

• 9 nut meg // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Firebug @6
    That’s what I remember also.

• 10 expatmag // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Firebug

I am not just blaming them mate. All I am saying is that do far, they have failed to live up to all the spiel.

My big beef with the club is that they sign too many foreigners with big reputations but no premiership experience. .

We have had limited success over the years with this tactic and it makes me wonder what planet our hierachy are on.

Since Ashley took over, he has never appointed a foreign manager but continually signs foreign players.

Now you would think that a british style manager would predominantly coach a british style way do effectively, players that suit that system would be appropriate. Same goes fir a foreign manager, coaching a continental game with continental players.

This is why I believe these young lads coming to the club are failing drastically and will ultimately be the downfall of the club this season.

• 11 DanToon // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Top and bottom of it is we can have as many good players was we want, as long as we have a second rate leader in charge we will never go anywhere. I personally feel that the players we have are good, they show that when play the big sides, they do well. It’s when we play the so called smaller clubs see need a manager that can motivate them to play these games at the same level consistently. It baffles me that we are willing to sign all these top players but then have a failed championship manager leading them, I knew he’d be a flop the second we signed him, as I’m sure many others with a rough idea of football did to. That’s where the money needs spending in my eyes, get a top leader and the players will follow suit! I just don’t see mcclaren inspiring anyone, similar to Roy hogson, just nothing there. In simpler words, McClaren out!!!!!

• 12 optimistic prime // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Belfast

Cheers for the info last night.

• 13 BandB // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Mitrovic could be that type of striker who holds up the ball and brings others forward and into the game.
    I think he is one of the reason we look more fluid coming forward and are competing better in midfield.
    The ball isn’t coming straight back to us and as a result of his play, and the defence isn’t being run at as much through quick turnover of possession.
    But the final ball to him is often poor. And I don’t think he will ever be prolific.

• 14 nufc 11 // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Leave him where he is Demba ba on loan?

• 15 Lindisfarne // Jan 12, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Why does Schtevie not use Gouffran as a Centre Forward?

__Thauvin__Gouffran__Perez
    ___Gini______Tiote___Sissoko
    Mbabu_Dummett_Mbemba_Janmaat

Trying to pull the wool over the eyes of MA?!

Seriously, that would not be my ideal team but does show we have alternatives to change in a game.

• 16 yorkymag // Jan 12, 2016 at 9:02 AM