Saivet – The Reasons I Chose Newcastle – A Club In Emergency

French newspaper L’Equipe has an interview today with new Newcastle signing Henri Saivet and Henri goes into the reasons he choice Newcastle United over some other Premier League clubs who wanted him.

Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich also wanted to sign the central midfielder who can play in a number of different positions including out on both wings.

henri saivet 2

Henri Saivet – now a Newcastle player

But Henri chose Newcastle rather quickly and he talked about the reason for doing that – but it was such a  big club with a lot of former Lique 1 players in the team – and he seems to relish the challenge of getting the club out of relegation trouble.

Henri talked to Steve McClaren before signing and he seems to have been impressed with the Newcastle head coach – who surprised the Senegal International by knowing so much about him and how he played.

This is what Henri has told L´Equipe today:

“I knew that contacts were established with some clubs. But Newcastle is a great challenge for me.”

“To come at the point of the season to help them move up the rankings, it is something very exciting. I’m a guy who needs a challenge.”

“In fact, I asked myself the question as to which club I could adapt more easily, quickly. Newcastle is in a state of emergency, I know.”

“But given the club’s size and the number of former Ligue 1 players the answer jumped out at me.”

“The central position of midfield is where I will play. I talked with the coach, and he even surprised me.”

“I didn’t think he would know me so well, that he could tell me about my game in as much detail.”

You´ve got to admire a player who wants to come to Newcastle and join the fight to save us from relegation.

The 25 year-old Senegal International looks like he´s looking forward to helping Newcastle out of the ¨state of emergency¨  we are in right now.

Players with the attitude and temperament of Henri Saivet are exactly the type of players who can help us do just that.

We like the 25 year-old, who is looking forward to the (big) challenge at Newcastle United for the rest of the season.

• Jib

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:56 AM

Lilo
    re penultimate article

With Kruse Bas Dost Bendtner and Zawada and with Schurrle,Draxler and Gustavo chipping in with goals from midfield someone logically has to leave Wolfsburg.It was Bas Dost last month after the winter break the German media favour binning Big Nik,
    8 goals in 28 games for the Mackems on loan from the Gooners when he was 5 years younger – oh dear.
    When he was charged with kicking cars mirrors in Stowell Street the arresting officer said he took 19 attempts before he hit one.

• catchy in norway

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:58 AM

I think he will be a great asset to the club at that price ,

• Klatoon

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:00 AM

At least he will solve the lack of drive in CM

• BandB

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:03 AM

We’ll soon be punching above our weight, pound for pound.

• yorkymag

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Shelvey on his way for medical £12 m agreed

• Jib

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:06 AM

He’s making the right noises , no doubt the cynics will say it’s scripted , but he seemed to be his own man at Bordeaux .
    He’s supposed to know Thauvin quite well ,they were the enfants terriblé of the French U21 until Saivet opted to play for Senegal when he became a senior.

• hibbitt

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:06 AM

yorkmag were you hearing that ?

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Breaking News

Sky Sources: Newcastle and Swansea agree £12m fee for Jonjo Shelvey

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM

A few people who should know about Swansea transfers have said Shelvey is coming to us and I saw one even say he is expected on Tyneside this morning

We will see though

• King_Solano

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Shelvey to have medical today – SSN

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM

SWANSEA AGREE TO SELL SHELVEY

Sky sources understand Swansea have agreed to sell Jonjo Shelvey to Newcastle for a fee in the region of £12m.

Sources indicate Shelvey is expected in Newcastle for a medical today.

Shelvey joined Swansea from Liverpool in 2012, but has fallen out of favour, with manager Alan Curtis admitting at the weekend he could not guarantee the midfielder first-team football

• reilly

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM

shelvey and henri has to be better than vern and colback,at least we will get the ball forward more.

• kajman

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Guy I’ve just seen shelve you heading north around Leeds area,, I’m a truck driver and a car just passed me with a guy being driven ,,looks just like him and the car had a plate “” shelve reg

• yorkymag

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM

If we can get John joes head in the right place it’s good news
    He will give us the forward thrust we lack and he will free up ginni with his more accurate probing passing also has goals in him too
    Just need to sort his head out and keep him away from the toon

• kajman

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Hi guys just seen shelve you being drive up north I hope,, in private plated car ” shelvy Reg, I’m a truck driver and was stuck in traffic on m1 ,

• bettyswallocks

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Let’s hope. At least McC has identified that we need more forward passes from midfield. It’s been so frustrating watching Colback pass it backwards,

• Rotonda heights

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Carl

Just to clarify I would have loved Pochetinno, but 18 months ago it seemed an impossible dream so I didn’t really mention him, whereas of the potentially available people at the time Martinez seemed a good option.

I also don’t honestly remember 18 months ago what I was saying about coaching badges or much else. Last week is sometimes a foreign country to me these days.

– – – –

Re – Tiote. 8M for a near 30 year old, apparently disinterested a lot of the time, often injured and away to Africa and with Saivet coming in seems a no brainer. If we go down I think it will be regardless of Tiote staying or going but would still keep him over Colback.