Shelvey To Have Medical Today – In £12M Newcastle Signing

Sky Sports News is reporting that Swansea have agreed to sell Jonjo Shelvey to Newcastle United for a fee in the region of £12M.

And they are also reporting that the England international midfielder is expected in Newcastle for his medical today.

Sky Spots are usually a reliable outlet, especially where Newcastle are concerned as they are one of the club´s preferred media partners.

jonjo-shelvey-swansea-city_3009369

Jonjo Shelvey – expected in Newcastle today for medical

It looks like Newcastle had a £10M offer for Shelvey turned down yesterday by Swansea and owner Mike Ashley approved a £2M increase to quickly tie up the deal for the England International.

The news yesterday was that Newcastle had beaten Crystal Palace to the player and that he wanted to join Newcastle after head coach Steve McClaren had talked to him about the role he wanted him to play on Tyneside.

Only yesterday Swansea let it be known they would be willing to accept offers for their central midfielder and it looks like Newcastle have moved extremely quickly to tie up the deal.

There was also news over the weekend that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley was willing to shell out the money to ensure Shelvey became a Newcastle player.

Jonjo is  a player Steve McClaren wanted at Newcastle,  so if this deal goes through that would also be a good thing.

When a player goes for a medical, the transfer fee and personal terms are usually already agreed to, and it tends to become a formality – as long as the player passes the medical.

It could be that Shelvey becomes the second player in as many days to sign for the famous Tyneside club,  after an exuberant Henri Saivet signed on last night from Bordeaux.

It would be great news if the Shelvey deal goes through and it would help raise the spirits of long-suffering Newcastle fans everywhere.

The other positive if this deal goes through is that it sends a message to other potential Newcastle transfer targets – that the club is serious about building a team that can survive in the Premier League this season and move forward next season to bigger and better things.

We hope that turns out to be true – it´s been a very tough last 13 months.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Well this is a depature…. a proven prem player!!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM

This is a great signing in so many ways for the Toon if it goes through!!

For me it shows that Mclaren has finally been allowed to sign a player that he wants to fit into his preferred system rather than have Carr play his own version of Football Manager!

We have finally signed a domestic player from a rival which should hopefully dispel the club message that “we cant compete” with teams around us

We have bought British and a quality player which should hopefully suggest a shift in transfer policy….

Now hopefully they dont go ruining the whole thing with doing something stupid like selling Sissoko or Perez

• will die for the toon army

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:20 AM

I think Tiote is leaving.

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Utter scumbag…I am gonna love him

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:20 AM

I think saivet and shelvey in the middle. We still need a striker who can score or we are going down.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Carl

Just to clarify I would have loved Pochetinno, but 18 months ago it seemed an impossible dream so I didn’t really mention him, whereas of the potentially available people at the time Martinez seemed a good option.

I also don’t honestly remember 18 months ago what I was saying about coaching badges or much else. Last week is sometimes a foreign country to me these days.

– – – –

Re – Tiote. 8M for a near 30 year old, apparently disinterested a lot of the time, often injured and away to Africa and with Saivet coming in seems a no brainer. If we go down I think it will be regardless of Tiote staying or going but would still keep him over Colback.

Shelvey coming could be very good, now for Koubilaly and a fast striker, please god not Bendtner.

• yorkymag

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:21 AM

If we can get John joes head in the right place it’s good news
    He will give us the forward thrust we lack and he will free up ginni with his more accurate probing passing also has goals in him too
    Just need to sort his head out and keep him away from the toon

• will die for the toon army

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Lee

Our players r in relagation no one wants them. Nothing special abt them.

• Harley

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Absolutely brilliant signing if it comes off. I’ve been wishing for this for over year, thinking we had no chance.

Just what we need in the midfield.

We need a few more positions strengthening but if we only sign Saivet, Shelvey and a proven striker I’ll be over the moon.

• JDdubai

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM

At least this shows the management saw what we all did in that we were hopelessly understaffed in CM.

Now for the (pacy) goalscoring Cf, my choice would be to take a punt on Andre Gray.

Dont think we will get the CB we need though, think Colo will remian once more and with Saylor back training, i cant see the tall commanding, organising, vocal CB come in that we need. Maybe we get a LB but that will be it.

• hibbitt

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:23 AM

were’s the 8m for tiote just read 3m to china

• Harley

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Have to agree with Rotonda

Tiote has looked ok when he’s played lately but Saivet coming in and 8m for tiote seems a no brainer.

• will die for the toon army

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Tiote is always injured. Haidara Obrtan Goufrann Marvuex should leave our club.

• ash

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Very good PROVEN PREM signing, a player who will dictate the play whilst allowing other players to be attacking as ever and flood the box.

Also he’s what i’d call a dead ball specialist, since Cabaye left we’ve had no one to put a corner in or let alone shoot from a free kick!

Just hope this one goes through ASAP, then we can move our attention onto a striker which is clearly paramount. Although i do think Mitro can cut it, but the kid needs more then 1 chance or maybe 3 half chances a match

• Rotonda heights

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:27 AM

surprised shelvey is still only 23.

• will die for the toon army

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Heights

Me too

• Jib

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Alan Curtis is saying we just kept upping our bid for Shelvey until they couldn’t refuse.
    He’s not happy about Shelvey going to a relegation rival , but once Shelvey got a load of shit off of the Swansea fans he was offmans.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Lee Ryder has said that Cheick Tiote wants to leave

• TikiTakaAcca

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Saivet is trash.

I can already see the ‘Team that should play’ with Saivet in them.

Up until 12 months ago, he used to be a winger, let that tell you something about him. Trash.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:35 AM

SSN: Andros Townsend has told Spurs he doesn’t want to join west brom and he would rather join Newcastle

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM

@Jib

Just goes to show how fear of relegation can focus minds eh!!

We have never done this to a rival for a player under Ashley !!

• BandB

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Chancel

Cheik and Cisse were fair candidates to leave this winter.
    It frees up wages, and we’ve seen the best of them here.

• hibbitt

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM

tiki taka acca……… well your a bit of a party pooper

• ctommo

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Shelvey should have been got to replace Cabaye, but 12m now is a good deal in my opinion. He should ping balls forward instead of short and sideways like what currently happens. Would still like to see some players moved on, and get in a centre back and pacey powerful striker, but lets see.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM

BandB
    Very true due to their ages

• Pitmatic

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Great signing if this is true.

I’m looking forward to seeing Saivet in action. As a winger cum attacking midfielder cum defensive midefielder he might be the player we hoped Sissoko would be. If his signing paves the way for Sissoko’s departure in the summer I’d be more than happy. We need to transform the identity of this team. As a senior player, he represents everything that’s wrong with us; his derby record says it all. Let him have his move, and get a proper winger in his place.

• Malackay

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Tiote must be all but gone now.

Like most on here, I’m delighted with this signing, strengthens us at the same time it weakens a rival. You have to think Shelvey has been promised a start a dangled the future captaincy in front of him too.

I still think we desperately need a Left Back and Striker (and a CB but I’m resigned to this never happening). Could Colback make the switch to LB now we have options in Midfield?

• hibbitt

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:41 AM

chancel……nice to have you back hope your health is improving………………….think its more to do with there wages both big earners

• sweendog

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Tiote is gone.
    Weird one with Shelvey, not played the best the last while but we do need a player who can control midfield, big strong and someone who can shoot from outside the box. Better than what we have and a premiership player, maybe just enough to keep us up.
    Still really need striker and CB, maybe LB.

• will die for the toon army

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Lacazatte killed our January window. I would have been buzzing.

• Goofy

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM

@Will die for the toon army

I’d keep Haidara and get rid of the rest.

Hopefully thats Shelvey signed, definitely a good bit of business, the first proven player we’ve bought under Ashley.

Mitro should get proper service now so he’ll have no excuses soon.

• JAMSHA

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM

FINALY A QUALITY PLAYER IN Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM

I think Shelvey at the Toon will be great hes the type of player that will deliver in front of 52k fans every home game !!

Swansea are a small team this is step up for him or at least it should be !!

• JDdubai

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Interesting to see how Afobe does at Bmouth. Would have liked us to have taken a chance on him tbh.

Think Bmouth will pull away from the drop now, all they were lacking was someone to score and now with him and Iturbe and Grabban they will have enough to be safe.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:45 AM

A proven striker and a left back next please.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:45 AM

true hibbit and thankyou

townsend wants Newcastle ssn keep saying but are we after him?

• Jib

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Sky sports are also reporting Andros Townsend would prefer NUFC to West Brom – Spurs want to use him as a makeweight for Berhino.

• pawl250

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Hello all,

Came on here to express my views on the potential new signing and new signing.

Since the Mrs had our child I haven’t watched as much foreign football and cannot say Saviet was ever on my radar in all honesty. I suspect he will be another unproven donkey, I cannot say he strikes me as a world beater, but I hope I am wrong. I did watch both Bordeaux games against Newcastle a few years back which he apparently played in and again, cannot remember thinking “I wish we had Saviet” or any player at that time.

Shelvey is exactly what we need, hard working, determined and a scorer from the middle of the park. 12m does seem high, but when you consider Mackems paid 14m for Rodwell, and Man City paid 50m for Sterling I suppose its the going rate for a young England player, especially one with the amount of games in the PL he has played.

As for Tiote supposedly leaving, I would not give too much thought about it. When he is not injured he is banned or at AFCN. He is renowned from those in and around the club as not being as determined as he once was. I have heard from several people, again in and around the club he is not actually injured half the time, he likes to not play as often as possible. I would take 5m tomorrow for him, with a net fee of 7m Shelvey is younger, more determined and a better player.

I think we need a striker. If we could move on Cisse, Riviere or Gouffran to make may for Austin or someone who knows how to put the ball in the net. We would then have Perez, Mitrovic and Austin as a strike force which is young and has alot of potential.

We also need a CB who will push Mbemba and Colo performance wise. I think we need to push on Williamson and get in a young strong Matip or someone of similar calibre.

So with new signings I would say our strongest team would most likely look like:-

Krul
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Dummett
    Colback – Anita
    Sissoko – Shelvey – Wijnaldum
    Mitrovic

Elliot
    Mbabu – STaylor – Lascelles – Haidara
    Saviet? – Tiote –
    Aarons – De Jong – Thauvin
    Perez

Not sure where Saviet actually plays. Heard the wing and CDM.

I mean our right back position still requires back up.We still need a stronger proven striker. I also think Shelvey if Shelvey plays CAM, it places Wijnaldum out position of LW.

I have seen Shelvey play in CDM but whether we would see goals from that position I am not so sure.

• expatmag

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM

So, we get Shelvy in and Saivet for 16 million pounds

Fat man sells Tiote for 8 million, Williamson for 1 millon plus the 6 million he got for Cabella, he almost breaks even.

• WWSBRD

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Townsend will run intil late in the window I reckon he wants out, they want him gone but I doubt anyone will meet the valuation

Whether we are still in for him by the time he is able to leave time will tell, we dont really have the luxury of waiting around