The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Young Gun Thanks Supporters – Proud Of The Team

7:08 am, Wednesday, January 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Serbian international striker Aleksandar Mitrovic got a precious goal and an assist last night in what was a good performance from him and will have given his confidence a massive boost.

The way he slotted home the penalty after 68 minutes to put Newcastle level at 2-2, after we had come back from a two goal deficit shows this lad has the temperament when it matters.

It was a beautifully taken penalty when the 21 year-old was under enormous pressure to score.

aleksandar mitrovic scores prenalty

Aleksandar Mitrovic scores from the penalty spot
Sent goalkeeper the wrong way

After the game Aleksandar had this to say on the Newcastle web-site:

“It is a massive result for us,”  “To come from 2-0 down and get back into the game is not easy against a team like Manchester United, but we did it and I am very proud of the team.”

“It was an amazing night. We could have gone on to win the game when it was 2-2 but then they scored and we almost lost it – a draw is the right result and I think both teams can be happy with the point.”

“I hadn’t scored in a few games so I wanted to take the penalty.” “I think it was a penalty. Smalling pulled my shirt in front of the referee and he made the right decision and gave it.”

“I was very happy to score, it means a lot for me to score here in front of the Gallowgate end.”

“I always want to score for the fans and they were amazing tonight. We haven’t won in a few games but the crowd were behind the team all game and I want to thank them for that.”

“When you get a crowd like this, you feel like you can do more and win any game.” “St. James’ Park is a special place to play and I’m very happy to be playing here and scoring for this crowd.”

“Overall it was a good result for us but we want to be winning games and I think we have a good chance in the next game if we keep playing this way.”

Good words from Mitro who played his part last night and the pundits are talking about that being one of the best Premier League games of the season.

Pity we couldn´t have won the game as wins are what we need to still save ourselves.

But it was heart-warming to witness such a fantastic second half performance from the boys in black and white.

We are so proud of them.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Manchester United?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Interview · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Reyantoon // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:14 AM

I do not understand why Thauvin was not on the bench yesterday.That booing by fans last time might turn his head in to something.Because felt like he might have done something as Perez was not on the game.Colback,who I defended him a lot,should give his place to the new arrivals from now on.I know McLaren won’t play both Saivet and Shelvey in the middle suddenly as they might need a little time but I still play them suddenly. Assuming Tiote will leave,I’ll play:

Janm Mbem Colo Dumm
    Shelvey Saivet
    Sissoko Wijndm Thauvn

• 2 magscar // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:15 AM

repost from 2 Threads back as Ed in overdrive again

magscar // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:10 AM

At least on the right we get some width a lot of the time with Janmatt’s overlaps with Sissoko. Problem on left is without a natural left footer who will stay on line Dummet doesn’t get forward as much and is limited in attack anyway. Aaron’s may be answer but his injury record is becoming a worry. We don’t seem to have had a good partnership on left since Enrique and Guti.

Problem may be eased with new acquisitions in midfield as Shelvey getting forward and range of passing if in a 4 2 3 1 should mean not having to always rely on width for attacks.

• 3 Dennis Twice // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Attack Toon attack, attack!

• 4 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:23 AM

I would have said Mitro did well, had he not blocked 2 shots and brought down his own player. Good pen, but technically he was Manyoos best defender.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:24 AM

Yeah, Janmaat offers us width, and Sissoko does keep shape better than Wijnaldum and Perez do on the left. Aarons could be the answer, but it is really difficult to tell given his injury problems. However being reliant on Janmaat for attacking width leaves us vulnerable to the counter because he is often slow to work back.

I’d quite like to switch to a 433 with Aarons providing one of the wide forward options along with Perez and Thauvin – plus Arma when back. That system would also better suit Rivi, who, whilst I don’t rate him was given a difficult job last year leading the line alone with poor service.

I’m looking forward to seeing both Shelvey and Saivet come into the side, Macca has supposedly told Saivet he will play centrally, so unless the system changes it is surely a straight swap, those two in and Colback and Tiote out? It will certainly give us greater creativity and definitely a bigger threat from dead balls, but it doesn’t solve the width issue for me.

• 6 Thump // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:26 AM

@Reyantoon: Apparently he picked up a niggle against Watford. Wouldn’t surprise me if Schteve rested him based on that as well as the reaction from the fans.

The lad should be starting (along with Sting) because they need minutes. The odd 10 here and there won’t get them very far.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:32 AM

• 8 optimistic prime // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:35 AM

I said pretty much the same regarding Mitro last night, I bet not many on here could handle him for 5 mins.

On the CM, I can’t see Steeve going 2 for 2, I expect Shelvey plus 1.
    Unfortunately I think that 1 will be Colback as the holding CM.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Think I worked it out, Siem De Jong? Who misses out though? It is a good problem to have now, we have Saivet, Shelvey, Tiote, Colback, Anita, Gini, De Jong and Perez (could also include Sissoko) all vying for three central spots.

I agree on Thauvin out wide, he needs a chance to sink or swim. I’m not overly confident but without a proper chance he could still be anything – Schrodinger’s winger.

• 10 magscar // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Totally agree on Janmatt’s and with the added issue of Sissoko’s regular trotting back. Giving the ball away when so many are in attack is also costing us as Mmemba seems to get a rush of blood when he ventures forward and loses ball but that may also be due to lack of movement off ball with reduced options for him and he runs into trouble.

Yes width issue is only perhaps eased by arrival of Shelvey as it will allow us to play narrow and still create more than now. May not be getting most out if Mitro but I believe he is young enough to adapt. Worrying that only winger regularly linked is Townsend definaytely not the answer especially if played on left.

Anyway have to go out early catch up later

• 11 Klatoon // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:40 AM

imagine if we actually had a functioning Left wing !!!???

• 12 cyprus // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:41 AM

Unfortunately? Why has Colback now come under attack? Both him and Tiote were very good last night in bossing the MF and allowing siss, wini creative attacking movement. Anyway, I guess we all need our little pet hates. And there’s only one fanatically adhering to that on this blog.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:41 AM

If we are to play a holding mid then for me it has to be Tiote. He is twice the defensive midfielder Colback is, and with a player next to him who has a better passing range and better ability then he can stick to doing the simple stuff, winning the ball and releasing it to others.

Not sure what Tiote was thinking playing a couple of his passes inside our own box to people under pressure mind. That is a problem he has with concentration which is difficult to eradicate at this stage of his career (hard enough at the formative years, let alone now). I still would prefer him to Colback and Anita though.

• 14 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Rumour going round SJP last night that Townsend is signing on Thursday on loan till end of season

• 15 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:45 AM

Cyprus, Collback did indeed have a decent game last night, but I think him only passing sideways in most games is a problem, as it tends to lose possesion as its predictable. Personaly, I would drop Sissoko into the holding role and look for another wide option, possibly Rolando if we can keep him together for longer than 5 mins.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:46 AM

Colback is limited in what he does. I was having this chat with a couple of guys last night while watching the match. He does nothing terribly, but he does nothing very well either. He is very run of the mill. Tiote is far better at holding, and Shelvey can ball win as well as Colback but has the bonus of a greater range of passing.

Granted if someone has bid big money for Tiote then he won’t be around much longer. It will be interesting to see how Saivet performs in the centre when given a chance, and what he can bring to the side. In reality two centre mids should leave as we are overstocked in the area now, and the squad space could be crucial to continuing to bring players in this window.

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:51 AM

You will also be pleased to see I’ve softened my stance on Sissoko, he has been much improved over the last month. Long may it continue.

Agree on Townsend – he rarely plays on the left, I think only 5 Prem appearances for Spuds have been on that side, the rest on the right. I really don’t see where he fits in or why we would want another wide player who doesn’t deliver service. The occasional wonder strike (after numerous failed attempts) is about all he brings.

Real shame if that is the case. He isn’t the answer to the lack of chances created, and is primarily a left footed right winger. I’d prefer Sissoko to him personally.

• 18 mindshaft // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM

you have to think Tiotes off to China , shame as he is actually starting to get back to his old form
    Mbemba was fairly poor last night , gave the ball away for 2nd goal and didn’t track back with Lingard , Collo isn’t great but can hardly be expected to mark Rooney and Lingard
    Schteve needs to tell our defence to either stop attacking or actually get there backsides back double quick when they lose ball , currently they seem to just jog back like they’re out for a Sunday jog

• 19 cyprus // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:10 AM

I noticed 🙂

Agreed but that IS his job, to play it safe and boring. Some positions are less glamorous, his is such. He is a very good player in my opinion. We lack real wingers, a creative MF genius like that City guy and a fast wily forward.

Not sure what’s up with Perez, my ex pet player 🙂

• 20 thepict // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Could very well be a young gun. He’s always going off half cocked.

previous post: Guts Galore From Newcastle Paves The Way For Precious Point