Shelvey Talks To Fans About Getting Goosepimples

Jonjo Shelvey has said he will always give 100% when he plays for Newcastle and he´s looking forward to playing for the Magpies in a more advanced role to help set up chances and score goals.

Jonjo is a talented player and on his day he is a great player, as we found out last August when he dominated the game against Newcastle.

The Londoner also seems to be really looking forward to playing in front of Newcastle´s legendary fans.

jonjo shelvey - smike lad

Jonjo Shelvey – good interview on nufcTV

This is some of what Shelvey has said in his nufcTV interview:

“I am a home boy myself but you have to love the club you play for.” “I want to assure the fans I will give 100% every week. I won’t shirk a tackle, I will be giving it my all.”

“That obviously relates to my upbringing and where I am from. There’s a lot of similarities in the areas.”

“It’s a council estate in London, there’s a lot of crime and drugs going around. I was brought up well and kept away from that.”

“But you should also not forget where you are from and that’s why I have the tattoo.”  “I always go back to see the family. My dad still lives there.”

“I can’t wait to get started. It was great to be at Swansea, it’s a great club.”

“But I just felt as soon as there was interest from Newcastle and they expressed how much they wanted me with Steve McClaren, I felt it was the right time for a new challenge.”

“I am just excited to be here. Just walking around the stadium gives you goosepimples.” “It is an immense feeling to come here.”

“A lot of players say they don´t hear names being sang by the crowd but you do, you know what I mean – and I have never had 52,000 people singing my name so it will be a nice feeling if that happens. ”

Jonjo will make his debut against West Ham on Saturday and he admits to being a Hammers fan all his life – but hopes to do well on Saturday.

Jonjo was born in  the Harold Hill district of east London so it´s not too surprising he turned out to be a Hammers fan.

It will be interesting to see how Newcastle´s game will change with Jonjo Shelvey being the undoubted midfield general now for Newcastle and he will be given a free role pushing forward.

Steve McClaren has also admitted Newcastle tried to sign Jonjo last summer.

• G

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Lets just not try to play him as a winger eh Macca?

• VanToonMan

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Good Morning Guys,

Back from an extended xmas and new years holiday – depressing weather to return to!

Is it too soon to put Saivet and Shelvey straight into the heart of the midfield on Saturday?

I think Tiote had a solid game yesterday (bit like his old self) – still takes too much time on the ball but we know he has the ability if on form – he used to have Cabaye who would move into space bit further forward – whereas Colback (who I do not rate at all more than a bench player) – stays too close to Tiote and does not like to play the ball forward. – just passes sideways and backwards.

If too soon – then maybe Tiote and Shelvey as the centre 2 on saturday with Saivet coming on during the game?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM

I’m sure some fans far more inventive than I am will have come up with a chant for you by Saturday and will happily adhere to your request for your name to be sung.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Step 1 : Say lots of stuff to impress the fans——check!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Jonjo. Jonjo-jonjo. Jonjo-jonjo. Jonjo-JONJO SHELVEY
    (Basically, the Toure song)

• G

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Lilo, I think I shouted his name last season, or at least mentioned something about him being folically challenged and of questionable parentage! Anyway, decent player when in form, so he should give us the creativity from the middle we desparately need.

• toon kk

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:45 AM

We still need a pacey proven striker for him to supply.

Great game to watch last night. Good point for the Toon.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:48 AM

BandB,
    Your post on the previous echoes my thoughts almost entirely. I think with better service he will get more than 10 a season though.

• G

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Has everybody written off SDJ then? I still have feeling he is going to come good for us.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM

G,
    I’m not sure that is the kind of chant he is after, but it is a start!

YCMIU,
    At least he didn’t do a Robbie Keane and tell us that he had always supported us! Robbie was a huge Coventry, Wolves, Leeds, Spurs, Inter Milan, Celtic, West Ham, Villa, Liverpool and LA Galaxy fan as a boy. An absolute dream career to play for so many of your boyhood clubs…..

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Toite and Shelvey pairing in midfield?

Toite and Cabaye replicated maybe?

We just need a striker who can score goals atm because I’m sure defenders can wait until next season, but saying that though Riv needs to have his chances because with a Target man like Mitrovic he could actually shine like he did at Monaco.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:54 AM

LG

HAHA. Yeah, the very cosmopolitan Robbie Keane.
    I am willing to give Shelvey his chance. He is a good player if he is up for it.

• cyprus

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:54 AM

You want a song? Perform.

• defenders needed

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:55 AM

For months I have been saying we need him or someone who can replicate his passing technique. I was told it wasn’t going to happen why on earth would he leave Swansea to come to us and he’s here, fantastic.

• G

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM

@14, at least it indicates he fancies our chances of staying up more than Swansea’s.

• Mag52

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Great game. Good comeback. No relegation fears with this sort of committment.

• toonbrother

Wigan Athletic 73
    Reading 73
    Aston Villa 69
    Newcastle 68

• Our Toon

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Not a single cross in yesterday which was good enough to even be deemed as service, got to feel a bit for mitro.

Tiote was very good as was Colo, Janmaat watched lingard run past him for there 2nd goal, Colback…..still not sure what he does!! Perez had a stinker

• sweendog

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:03 AM

toonbrother .. collo played well last night,anticipated the ball well, stole the ball of attackers, one of many players on top of their game, if he plays like that against West Ham we’ll do well.
    I thought the whole team was immense last night, loved seeing Mitrovic score, cool penalty. Still need Remy and a good CB as Willo is away and we need to blood someone as good as MBemba, maybe just a cooler head and taller.

• sweendog

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Our Toon .. harsh on Perez, thought he did good with his runs etc, as someone said earlier he was marked throughout, if we a striker like Remy etc he could have had a blinder as he would have had more space.

• Valid point

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Not too fussed about Mike Dean, however I think he was right about the first penalty. Mbemba was cleary raising his hand to an unnatural position making sure it blocked in front of Fellaini’s face before his header, as a result blocking the ball.

We shouldn’t be complaining about that one, the Janmat situation is the one to moan about…

• sweendog

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Agreed on Tiote, thought he was a class above in midfield. Felt like the Tiote of 2/3 years ago

• croftus5678

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:06 AM

so we have a saivet a dm with an eye for a goal and a pass !

wijanldum who’s very forward thinking and creative as well as chipping in with a fair amount of goals.

sissoko who’s only forward thinking now a days and makes powerfull runs and is creative going forward with assists but not too much goal wise.

and now shelvey also who is very creative is a good set piece taker and also chips in with a fair few goals.

exciting times ahead if those guys stay fit and in the same team ! i just hope janmaat and hairdryer dont get carried away up field or our goals conceeded will be even higher than it is now lol.

• OneAlanShearer

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:08 AM

I wonder if Mcclaren is going to play 4141 with colback or tiote (if he stays) behind Wijnaldum and shelvey as shelvey keeps mentioning a more advanced role or still 442 but colback slightly further back than him. Either way I am hopeful we can stay up especially if we can get a few more in. Hwtl.

• G

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I wouldnt worry about Haidara too much for a while anyway, speaking of Left Backs, well done scoring to Dummet, however, I would still prefer to see Mbabu play LB against WHU.

• croftus5678

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM

————elliott————
    jan—–colo–mbem–hair
    ———–sai—col———–
    ——siss—shel—wij——
    ————–mitr————-

would be my guess at a full str squad ! i’d put tiote in colbacks place mind but i think he’s gone.

• derekm

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM

They say that a good referee does’nt get noticed – well sorry Mike Dean the sight of you swigging your orange juice and laughing with Rooney in the tunnel was noticed by me. Surely the referee and lines people should enter the tunnel and lead the teams straight out, the fact is that certain referees see themselves as friends of the stars, I recall Uriah Rennie sending off Shearer for no reason other than to claim him as a ” scalp “, and when Keegan was asked about him his only comment was that Uriah was the first ref to employ his own agent. The fact that Dean then gave the most ridiculous penalty after all this really emphasises the point – he might as well have run back to the kick off with his arms around Wayne.

• toon kk

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Perez was our weak link last night, he never really got into the game. Wini was class.
    I was impressed with the work rate of the players, something we haven’t seen enough of this season.

• SuperShearer

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Slightly worried by Shelvey being told he will play a more advanced role. Surely he should play behind Wini who is so mobile and willing to make runs into the box?

• geordieboy83

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Think we definitely need the 2 new lads Saturday
    Keep back 4 as is or maybe mbabu for dummet.

Saivet to just lock in on payet
    Shelvey to dictate the play
    Moussa and aarons out wide pace and skill to terrify them
    Wini number 10 feeding off the beast up top.

• lochinvar

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Last night we hit some long and effective cross filed passes mainly to the right wing – I don’t recall too many over to the left.

If we ca get an effective wide left filed / winger then Shelvey can spray passes around all over the filed – that will stretch defences and create more space for the forwards and crosses to the forwards from those wide positions

Just need to buy a left winger ? ( and Tall CB , additional forward etc )

• G

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM

@30, I would keep Sav on the bench for this one and go with Tiote on Payet. I also have a feeling Perez will be a lone frontman against WHU, with Mitro on the bench. Suspect Macca will go with pace and save the strength for the last 20 mins or so.

• hibbitt

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM

i dont think today is the day to give anyone stick no matter what the result it was a great game to watch 110% performance all round we had a game plan and stuck to it playes did the job they were given the crowd played there part best atmosphere of the season

• Tsunki

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:20 AM

it’s the same story we have a couple of good players vying for the same positions and a surfeit of mediocre players for others. As SM changes things up some are going to suffer. I’m just wondering how shelvey and sissoko fit together in a team. It appears that some of the driving runs through midfield and the final deliveries are what we expect from both players.

• geordieboy83

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM

G

Tiote is suspended mate as he got booked last night so it’s between sav and colback unfortunately

• geordieboy83

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM

It’s refreshing to see mousse consistently turning up 5 out of last 6 games he’s had me on the edge of my seat. Such a powerhouse

• G

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM

@35, good point, forgot about the suspension. Just stick Verns shirt on him, they will never notice! I would seriously not blood a player new to the prem against Payet though. Play Sissoko in the middle against him maybe?

• VanToonMan

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Croftus

I hope Tiote is not gone – he played well yesterdyay. Also did you see Macca put his arm round him and talk and smile with him on the pitch after the game. Hopefully he stays – then our DM options are Saivet and Tiote i.e. we have a backup.

I too think 4-1-4-1 is the way to go – Saivet or Tiote in front of the defence – Shelvey and Wijnaldum in the middle – Sissoko wide right – not sure if Perez is best suited to wide left so that is one issue.

Willems and a goalscorer and it would be a good window.

• AK Malaysia

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Why dont we try playing colback in left midfield.. he can cross, pass and is a natural left footer… he can also support the defence too… I would like to see McClaren to try the below 4-5-1 formation :

ELLIOT