The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Shelvey Talks To Fans About Getting Goosepimples

8:35 am, Wednesday, January 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 205 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey has said he will always give 100% when he plays for Newcastle and he´s looking forward to playing for the Magpies in a more advanced role to help set up chances and score goals.

Jonjo is a talented player and on his day he is a great player, as we found out last August when he dominated the game against Newcastle.

The Londoner also seems to be really looking forward to playing in front of Newcastle´s legendary fans.

jonjo shelvey - smike lad

Jonjo Shelvey – good interview on nufcTV

This is some of what Shelvey has said in his nufcTV interview:

“I am a home boy myself but you have to love the club you play for.” “I want to assure the fans I will give 100% every week. I won’t shirk a tackle, I will be giving it my all.”

“That obviously relates to my upbringing and where I am from. There’s a lot of similarities in the areas.”

“It’s a council estate in London, there’s a lot of crime and drugs going around. I was brought up well and kept away from that.”

“But you should also not forget where you are from and that’s why I have the tattoo.”  “I always go back to see the family. My dad still lives there.”

“I can’t wait to get started. It was great to be at Swansea, it’s a great club.”

“But I just felt as soon as there was interest from Newcastle and they expressed how much they wanted me with Steve McClaren, I felt it was the right time for a new challenge.”

“I am just excited to be here. Just walking around the stadium gives you goosepimples.” “It is an immense feeling to come here.”

“A lot of players say they don´t hear names being sang by the crowd but you do, you know what I mean – and I have never had 52,000 people singing my name so it will be a nice feeling if that happens. ”

Jonjo will make his debut against West Ham on Saturday and he admits to being a Hammers fan all his life – but hopes to do well on Saturday.

Jonjo was born in  the Harold Hill district of east London so it´s not too surprising he turned out to be a Hammers fan.

It will be interesting to see how Newcastle´s game will change with Jonjo Shelvey being the undoubted midfield general now for Newcastle and he will be given a free role pushing forward.

Steve McClaren has also admitted Newcastle tried to sign Jonjo last summer.

Tags: Interview · Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · nufcTV

205 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Lets just not try to play him as a winger eh Macca?

• 2 VanToonMan // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Good Morning Guys,

Back from an extended xmas and new years holiday – depressing weather to return to!

Is it too soon to put Saivet and Shelvey straight into the heart of the midfield on Saturday?

I think Tiote had a solid game yesterday (bit like his old self) – still takes too much time on the ball but we know he has the ability if on form – he used to have Cabaye who would move into space bit further forward – whereas Colback (who I do not rate at all more than a bench player) – stays too close to Tiote and does not like to play the ball forward. – just passes sideways and backwards.

If too soon – then maybe Tiote and Shelvey as the centre 2 on saturday with Saivet coming on during the game?

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM

I’m sure some fans far more inventive than I am will have come up with a chant for you by Saturday and will happily adhere to your request for your name to be sung.

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Step 1 : Say lots of stuff to impress the fans——check!

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Jonjo. Jonjo-jonjo. Jonjo-jonjo. Jonjo-JONJO SHELVEY
    (Basically, the Toure song)

• 6 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Lilo, I think I shouted his name last season, or at least mentioned something about him being folically challenged and of questionable parentage! Anyway, decent player when in form, so he should give us the creativity from the middle we desparately need.

• 7 toon kk // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:45 AM

We still need a pacey proven striker for him to supply.

Great game to watch last night. Good point for the Toon.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:48 AM

BandB,
    Your post on the previous echoes my thoughts almost entirely. I think with better service he will get more than 10 a season though.

• 9 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Has everybody written off SDJ then? I still have feeling he is going to come good for us.

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM

G,
    I’m not sure that is the kind of chant he is after, but it is a start!

YCMIU,
    At least he didn’t do a Robbie Keane and tell us that he had always supported us! Robbie was a huge Coventry, Wolves, Leeds, Spurs, Inter Milan, Celtic, West Ham, Villa, Liverpool and LA Galaxy fan as a boy. An absolute dream career to play for so many of your boyhood clubs…..

• 11 NezzaNUFC // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Toite and Shelvey pairing in midfield?

Toite and Cabaye replicated maybe?

We just need a striker who can score goals atm because I’m sure defenders can wait until next season, but saying that though Riv needs to have his chances because with a Target man like Mitrovic he could actually shine like he did at Monaco.

• 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:54 AM

LG

HAHA. Yeah, the very cosmopolitan Robbie Keane.
    I am willing to give Shelvey his chance. He is a good player if he is up for it.

• 13 cyprus // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:54 AM

You want a song? Perform.

• 14 defenders needed // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:55 AM

For months I have been saying we need him or someone who can replicate his passing technique. I was told it wasn’t going to happen why on earth would he leave Swansea to come to us and he’s here, fantastic.

• 15 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM

@14, at least it indicates he fancies our chances of staying up more than Swansea’s.

• 16 Mag52 // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Great game. Good comeback. No relegation fears with this sort of committment.

• 17 toonbrother // Jan 13, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Worst Defence in the league

2014-2015
    QPR 73
    Newcastle 63
    Aston Villa 57
    Leicester City 55

2012-13 (goals conceded)
    Wigan Athletic 73
    Reading 73
    Aston Villa 69
    Newcastle 68

• 18 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Not a single cross in yesterday which was good enough to even be deemed as service, got to feel a bit for mitro.

Tiote was very good as was Colo, Janmaat watched lingard run past him for there 2nd goal, Colback…..still not sure what he does!! Perez had a stinker

• 19 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:03 AM

toonbrother .. collo played well last night,anticipated the ball well, stole the ball of attackers, one of many players on top of their game, if he plays like that against West Ham we’ll do well.
    I thought the whole team was immense last night, loved seeing Mitrovic score, cool penalty. Still need Remy and a good CB as Willo is away and we need to blood someone as good as MBemba, maybe just a cooler head and taller.

• 20 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Our Toon .. harsh on Perez, thought he did good with his runs etc, as someone said earlier he was marked throughout, if we a striker like Remy etc he could have had a blinder as he would have had more space.

• 21 Valid point // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Not too fussed about Mike Dean, however I think he was right about the first penalty. Mbemba was cleary raising his hand to an unnatural position making sure it blocked in front of Fellaini’s face before his header, as a result blocking the ball.

We shouldn’t be complaining about that one, the Janmat situation is the one to moan about…

• 22 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Agreed on Tiote, thought he was a class above in midfield. Felt like the Tiote of 2/3 years ago

• 23 croftus5678 // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:06 AM

so we have a saivet a dm with an eye for a goal and a pass !

wijanldum who’s very forward thinking and creative as well as chipping in with a fair amount of goals.

sissoko who’s only forward thinking now a days and makes powerfull runs and is creative going forward with assists but not too much goal wise.

and now shelvey also who is very creative is a good set piece taker and also chips in with a fair few goals.

exciting times ahead if those guys stay fit and in the same team ! i just hope janmaat and hairdryer dont get carried away up field or our goals conceeded will be even higher than it is now lol.

• 24 OneAlanShearer // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:08 AM

I wonder if Mcclaren is going to play 4141 with colback or tiote (if he stays) behind Wijnaldum and shelvey as shelvey keeps mentioning a more advanced role or still 442 but colback slightly further back than him. Either way I am hopeful we can stay up especially if we can get a few more in. Hwtl.

• 25 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I wouldnt worry about Haidara too much for a while anyway, speaking of Left Backs, well done scoring to Dummet, however, I would still prefer to see Mbabu play LB against WHU.

• 26 croftus5678 // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM

————elliott————
    jan—–colo–mbem–hair
    ———–sai—col———–
    ——siss—shel—wij——
    ————–mitr————-

would be my guess at a full str squad ! i’d put tiote in colbacks place mind but i think he’s gone.

• 27 derekm // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM

They say that a good referee does’nt get noticed – well sorry Mike Dean the sight of you swigging your orange juice and laughing with Rooney in the tunnel was noticed by me. Surely the referee and lines people should enter the tunnel and lead the teams straight out, the fact is that certain referees see themselves as friends of the stars, I recall Uriah Rennie sending off Shearer for no reason other than to claim him as a ” scalp “, and when Keegan was asked about him his only comment was that Uriah was the first ref to employ his own agent. The fact that Dean then gave the most ridiculous penalty after all this really emphasises the point – he might as well have run back to the kick off with his arms around Wayne.

• 28 toon kk // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Perez was our weak link last night, he never really got into the game. Wini was class.
    I was impressed with the work rate of the players, something we haven’t seen enough of this season.

• 29 SuperShearer // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Slightly worried by Shelvey being told he will play a more advanced role. Surely he should play behind Wini who is so mobile and willing to make runs into the box?

• 30 geordieboy83 // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Think we definitely need the 2 new lads Saturday
    Keep back 4 as is or maybe mbabu for dummet.

Saivet to just lock in on payet
    Shelvey to dictate the play
    Moussa and aarons out wide pace and skill to terrify them
    Wini number 10 feeding off the beast up top.

• 31 lochinvar // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Last night we hit some long and effective cross filed passes mainly to the right wing – I don’t recall too many over to the left.

If we ca get an effective wide left filed / winger then Shelvey can spray passes around all over the filed – that will stretch defences and create more space for the forwards and crosses to the forwards from those wide positions

Just need to buy a left winger ? ( and Tall CB , additional forward etc )

• 32 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM

@30, I would keep Sav on the bench for this one and go with Tiote on Payet. I also have a feeling Perez will be a lone frontman against WHU, with Mitro on the bench. Suspect Macca will go with pace and save the strength for the last 20 mins or so.

• 33 hibbitt // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM

i dont think today is the day to give anyone stick no matter what the result it was a great game to watch 110% performance all round we had a game plan and stuck to it playes did the job they were given the crowd played there part best atmosphere of the season

• 34 Tsunki // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:20 AM

it’s the same story we have a couple of good players vying for the same positions and a surfeit of mediocre players for others. As SM changes things up some are going to suffer. I’m just wondering how shelvey and sissoko fit together in a team. It appears that some of the driving runs through midfield and the final deliveries are what we expect from both players.

• 35 geordieboy83 // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM

G

Tiote is suspended mate as he got booked last night so it’s between sav and colback unfortunately

• 36 geordieboy83 // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM

It’s refreshing to see mousse consistently turning up 5 out of last 6 games he’s had me on the edge of my seat. Such a powerhouse

• 37 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM

@35, good point, forgot about the suspension. Just stick Verns shirt on him, they will never notice! I would seriously not blood a player new to the prem against Payet though. Play Sissoko in the middle against him maybe?

• 38 VanToonMan // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Croftus

I hope Tiote is not gone – he played well yesterdyay. Also did you see Macca put his arm round him and talk and smile with him on the pitch after the game. Hopefully he stays – then our DM options are Saivet and Tiote i.e. we have a backup.

I too think 4-1-4-1 is the way to go – Saivet or Tiote in front of the defence – Shelvey and Wijnaldum in the middle – Sissoko wide right – not sure if Perez is best suited to wide left so that is one issue.

Willems and a goalscorer and it would be a good window.

• 39 AK Malaysia // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Why dont we try playing colback in left midfield.. he can cross, pass and is a natural left footer… he can also support the defence too… I would like to see McClaren to try the below 4-5-1 formation :

ELLIOT

• 40 Lindisfarne // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Jonjo is a Dreamboat!
    Jonjo is a Dreamboat!
    Lala la la! Oo!
    Lala la la! Oo!

• 41 NUFCJOE // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Another great win last night.
    I like how many combinations of formations and squad we have available to us, competition for paces is looking very healthy. I think McLaren will play a pretty safe team against West Ham, maybe brining in Shelvey, but can’t see Saviet starting over Tiote (If he’s still a NUFC player by the weekend). Payet is going to be a nightmare.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Aarons wasn’t on the bench last night, or at the weekend. Do we have any U21 matches this week? Did he play in the 0-0 the other day? I assume they feel like he needs some minutes under his belt before dropping him into the first team. I doubt he will be a starter against West Ham, although if we have a reserves or a friendly arranged then I’d expect to see him on the bench.

• 43 hibbitt // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM

joe mate sorry to spoil your day 3+3 is not a win

• 44 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Lilo, I think hes only been training for the last week, assuming he stays fixed I wouldnt expect to see him near the first team for another 2 or 3 weeks after 2 long lay offs. Take him a while to get match fit.

• 45 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Goofy now has 7 votes for MOM! Seriously guys WTF?

• 46 Tsunki // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM

I think he means a draw against Man U from 2-0 us like a win ha ha. Too true.

On the subject of playing in front of a crowd, I know Shelveys played at anfield but I wonder what he thought of our lot last night?

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM

G,
    Aarons said last week he had hoped to be involved in the cup match had he played in the reserves game that got abandoned. We played the other night against Villa (I think), maybe the game was too close to the Man U match for him to recover properly if he played.

• 48 Tsunki // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:49 AM

G I think there are definitely stalkers on this blog 🙂

• 49 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Dont remember him being named for the Villa kickabout, although I could be wrong. I just remember Macca suggesting he has just come back into the squad prior to the Watford match.

• 50 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Mitro will get better service now and will do a great job for us – assist/score/hold up play – and he takes out a couple of defenders – I believe they are a bit scared of him and that has to be a good thing for us.

I’m saddest for SDJ who I also think is a class act, but like many players, has struggled after bad injury.. I think he ought to be our natural No10, but with so many thrusting midfielders of good ability behind Mitro his role is in question. His Hoddle sort of style of vision and passing ability in limited space may not be what we need any more. What we really need now at the front is a speedy wide player who can swap wings at will with a great shot.

At the back we still need a CB and LB – though Dummett is a good back up, we need to push on in that position. Willems in the summer I think. Maybe we’ll wait til then for the CB too. As for Toon brother and last night’s second goal – Only Colo was racing back into position, the others were jogging as the counter attack developed, so credit to him for his anticipation – but where was the RB ? Yes Colo got turned, but he was covering two attackers. There is still a lack of urgency in our defence – they go to sleep for five seconds – and Colo did lead by example (though I am not a fan at all and think he bneeds replaced, credit where it is due)

• 51 danuneek // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Shelvey will sit in that midfield 2 hopefully, with Wijneldum just infront. He’s a great signing, I think he’s exactly what we needed. He’ll bring that English mentality of hard work, but also that extra quality in the middle. He’s a much better passer then Colback, Anita and Tiote so hopefully we’ll be more creative and quicker playing the ball out from the back. Also his premier league experience is so important at this stage, we can’t really wait for the foreign lads to bed in when you’re fighting relegation. Not sure where Saviet is going to be played…

——————————–Elliot—————————–
    Janmaat———-Mbemba———-Colo———-Dummet
    ————–Tiote————————Shelvey————-
    Sissoko——————Wijneldum——————Perez
    —————————–Mitrovic————————–

• 52 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Stalkers, morons or both Tsunki

• 53 Goldmbemba // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:03 AM

I agree with you on your formation danuneek. I think shelvey should be where you put him and not further forward, because he adds some steel and presence. Dont know how tall colback is but shelvey is 6’1 i believe.

The only change id make is saivet for tiote, depending on how good he turns out to be. Lets be honest, none of us really know at this stage. If he’s the answer to our problems in that position, then go for:

——————————–Elliot—————————–
    Janmaat———-Mbemba———-Colo———-Dummet
    ————–Saivet————————Shelvey————-
    Sissoko——————Wijneldum——————Perez
    —————————–Mitrovic————————–

• 54 Goldmbemba // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:06 AM

I think we all believe in the potential of our front 4, they’ve shown their ability in glimpses, but they need more solidity behind them, and service from the middle. hopefully thats what shelvey will provide.

NUFC should be the platform for him to show what he’s really made of. He did ok at swansea which was his first club after liverpool, where he was never going to be first choice. Now he’s here, he should be aiming to show that he’s matured as a player enough to fulfill his potential.

• 55 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:10 AM

G,
    Just checked and he wasn’t in the Villa side. Seems odd given he travelled down to merseyside for the match that was cancelled. Let’s hope he hasn’t suffered a setback.

On a lighter note, I’ve just read a headline labelling Shelvey the ‘Cockney Zidane’

• 56 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM

@54, I just remember the 17 year old come into the fold with Charlton, and thinking he looked special even then. I hadnt been that impressed with a teenage deputant since Dyers early games for Ipswich. Shelvey seems to have been around a long time, even though he’s only 23 or so. Lets hope he is the creative midfield outlet we have needed since Cabaye.

• 57 G // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Lilo, lets just hope the headline writter doesnt mean Shelveys legs have gone. Lol

• 58 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Let’s not get carried away. We’re still deep in the bottom three. We were poor until we scored (one good chance aside – Gini’s shot into the keeper). Makro seems clueless as to how to change things but without someone up front to make runs and play off Mitro, he’s hasn’t got many options.

Janmaat was like a spare part in a flat pack. Colo played well but his positional sense makes him a liability.

Dummett and Sissoko get hammered on here but they’ve done well this season. We’ve got to keep Sissoko. A very good save by Elliott to keep Fellaini out. I’m pleased to see he’s making his detractors think again.

• 59 hibbitt // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:32 AM

blackley …..without doubt we need a quality CB and a goal scorer just hope the club are working on this there must be players out there that could do the job for us

• 60 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:34 AM

morning all
    think sky were saying aarons was unavailable but im not so sure that necessarily means he’s injured…..just dont think he’s fit/enough at the minute for a match if he’s not on bench by the weekend then i would guess he’s injured again or had a fall out with macca….on perez he was poor last night compared to his usual game it more his awareness then his play…slow to react,kept getting caught the ball and looked a little weak easily shoved off the ball…..listen the lad has been a shining light this season and last so should’nt complain to much…everyone has a poor game now and again….im sure he’ll pick himself up,dust himself down and have a blinder on sat…..prefer him up front or just behind the striker to the left tbh

• 61 Yohan Kebab // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:36 AM

not sure if this has been mentioned already but Liverpool have agreed to sign Matip on a free in the summer. shame, but I don’t think we will be seeing another cb come in until at least another leaves. we have willo taylor lascelles colo mbemba and arguably Dummett on our books for that position…

• 62 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Has it been announced what numbers Saivet & Shelvey will wear?

• 63 Fostino // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM

team is beginning tom look good. if only we had a very good manager

problem positions still include the wingbacks and dummet particularly. he is not a natural lb. haidira not good enough either. why did we sell santon. apart from that i think we need a goal scorer too. remy would be good signing. with those problem positions addressed we should kick on. we could even let tiote go to china with cisse. goofy and marvo could go back to france. and if we got townsand, id be happy to say tara to thauvin and obertan. we got the rolando master too. its fair to say a midfield trio of colback, anita, tiote in any order has not been good enough.

team for west ham

elliott
    janmaat dmemba colo dummett
    sissoko saviet jonjo perez
    wini
    mitro

de jong…thauvin to come on

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Blackas,
    Not sure people are getting too carried away, it’s always a huge lift when a couple of signings come in and especially one that has broken the mould of our largely flawed system. Before the two signings it looked like we were definitely going down and although we’ll be right down there until the end at least there’s a new hope.

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Not sure of I read it wrong but the enigma that is Dennis Twice lost it’s magic last night, answering questions aimed at me, addressing himself as Dennis before answering, seems like mischeif making to me !

• 66 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM

with hiddink saying remy will not be leaving this window and berahino wanting spurs and austin????who knows whats happening there…..a left winger and left back with pace would be my choice for next recruits….aarons would be ideal….but whens that ganna happen??…..and maybe willems,robertson or geurrero(excuse the spelling)for lb

• 67 hibbitt // Jan 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM

a lot of talk at the ground last night about more signings anyone got any news even ED’s dried up with his rumours

• 68 toontaff2 // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM

According to The Mag we keep going to the supermarket for eggs but end up with biscuits…………
    so if the 7 who voted for Goofy are not mackems maybe they are from The Mag?
    Between the negativity from the Mag and some on here………..

• 69 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:02 AM

im not convinced saivet or shelvey will start against west ham….i think it might the same as last night with them on the bench…..just to let them get used to there surroundings and get upto pace a bit imo

• 70 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM

hibbitt,
    If we could permanently sign Remy I’d be over the moon, really want a new CB but are they going to drop the captain to make way for a quality CB, would have Enrique back as well in place of Haidara.

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:06 AM

toontaff,
    Before yesterday what has there been to be poditive about apart from the odd display of a half decent performance. Surely you’ve noticed how the discussions return to football after they give us something to cheer about.

• 72 hibbitt // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:07 AM

jail…. chelsea said remy is going nowhere this window

• 73 Bobbybee // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:07 AM

I don’t think anybody should be worried about Saivet. Despite starting as a striker, then a winger, he refashioned his game following injury and has been rated as one of the best DM in Europe this season. His passing success is up in the 80’s, and, more importantly, 91% of those passes being forward passes. How often have people complained about Colback and Anita passing sideways and backwards? In the report I read re stats, it says he has no discernible weaknesses. He expressed a desire to play in the PL and his boss refused to stand in his way because he says he was destined for bigger things. With 18 months left on his contract, doing our business quietly didn’t arouse the interest of other clubs. This may well be one of Carr’s best finds and bought for relative peanuts. I’m looking forward to seeing him play.

• 74 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Over the course of history there aren’t that many players who leave and return to their clubs in their peak. Ian Rush, Duncan Ferguson ???

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:10 AM

hibbitt,
    I’ll put that little hope to bed then 🙁

• 76 bills-son // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Fans not rating Dummet need to go back to football school.

The first thing a defender has to do is defend and given that we’ve had the likes of Santon and currently Jamnat and Haidara who are truly awful defensively, Dummet is like a proper defender.

Martial’s hold up play was superb yesterday but he hardly ever got the better of Dummet in a one on ome and more often than not was shown inside or snuffed out with a good tackle.

Not one winger this season has taken Dummet to the cleaners unlike Jamnat who is always there to be taken and whose positional play is abysmal.

Dummet might not be as gung ho going forward as Jamnat but galloping forward and not galloping back has led to a shed full of goals being conceded from openings down his side.

I’d have two Dummet’s over two Jamnat’s any day.

• 77 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:13 AM

bobbybee,
    I’ll doff my cap to you if we spend 50M this window !

• 78 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM

i see carroll injured again last night,so that should stop the toon return talk till the summer…….so out of all the names of strikers mentioned berahino,austin,gray,gayle,carroll,bas dost,gabbiadini,remy,and bendtner…
    berahino….wont come apparently wants spurs
    austin…..unsure where he wants to go but toon wont pay over the odds for him
    gray…..we would be his 3rd club this season so could’nt play anyway…if were interested
    gayle…..doubts about whether he’s premier class but AVAILABLE
    carroll……perma crock…again
    bas dost….scores abroad but could he here,also we do want a pacey type of striker which he’s not.
    gabbiadini….doe’snt want to leave napoli.
    remy…..according to his manager will not be leaving this window.
    bendtner……hahaha…..haway man!!….we dont need to sign someone who does’nt score… we dont score enough ourselves thanks very much
    seems to getting slim pickings out there…..any names people?

• 79 Mag52 // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Bills-son.

Two Dummets over three Janmaats for me.

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Touble is with Dummet though is that because of our style of play or lack of decent wingers he finds his self near the final third a lot, he rarely does much with the ball when he’s there, we meed to find a balance.

• 81 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM

i think there should be some intense training sessions on crossing and dead ball crossing coz we are permanently awful at this,whoever gets the first man job for every team in this league must hate playing us coz they must get battered as we cant seem to do anything but hit him with the ball!!!lol

• 82 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Dummet is a handy squad player to have on the bench, better than Willo because he can play FB as well

• 83 AncientC // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Newcastle dominate possession, more shots off target, more shots on target etc… Man Utd are giving themselves a pat in the back for that game?

Van Gaal seems to think they could have scored six, without commenting on how many Newcastle could have scored. Even old misery guts, Scholes was impressed with Man Utd.

• 84 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:29 AM

SPRINGY,
    Mitro would thrive on that.

• 85 Bobbybee // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Jail, we might not spend the fifty simply because of the lack of availability of players we need, but the will is there. Might be better off holding some back to add to the summer spends rather than spend just for the sake of it. Value for money is important and what Ashley demands. If the right players become available, the money is there. What we don’t spend this window, we’ll spend next. Nowt to do with me though marra, I was just repeating Macca’s quote! Doff your hat to him. 😉

• 86 Blofal // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Springy

The other name is Lacazette… but we will only get him for silly money…. which we should spend in my opinion.

• 87 Slank // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM

SPRINGY

Dost is out injured. Could be 6 to 8 weeks. He ain’t going anywhere.

• 88 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Bills
    I’m with you on Dummett compared to Jamnutz.

• 89 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Bobbybee,
    I’ll doff my hat then if we spend a 100M in the next two then !

• 90 WWSBRD // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:37 AM

JfA
    In theory El Toros return would be great but he hasn’t played in how long now? Impossible to gauge how that has affected him

If he was the player we sold then no second thoughts but I don’t think he will be

bills
    U have very limited expectations of full backs And their effect on a team our left side offers nothing with Dummet in the team

• 91 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Jail
    There’s hope while there’s a good spirit. Mitro needs to show more of that leadership he’s shown. If Shelvey comes with the right attitude, he’ll make a big difference. Pity Anita ‘s injured. They’d make a good pairing. Looking gorward to seeing ehat Saivet is all about. The biggest thing though has got to be whether we get a top striker to play with Mitro. I don’t know where we’ll be if Mitro gets injured so we could do with two in; even if one is Peter Crouch. It’s too far gone in the season to be gambling.

• 92 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM

WW…,
    After the goalie shirt and chants it would never happen anyway, would like a good solid LB who can do something with the ball in attack, how’s that Erik Pieters getting on at Stoke?

• 93 Bobbybee // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Jail, 😉 😉

• 94 WWSBRD // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:44 AM

JfA
    Haha I forgot about that…what a day Carroll dived aswell didn’t he? Cracking, old Perch tripping Reina and getting him sent off marvellous

No idea on the Stoke lad would he represent value for money though? I’d prefer someone none Dutch though and ideally none French

• 95 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Blackas,
    A top striker being bought would depend on Cisse leaving me thinks and would simply have to be from the PL, as you say it’s too far gone to gamble, would have to compliment Mitro but I can’t think of anyone but Remy and hibbitts pi$$ed on me chips with that one 🙁

• 96 jimmysmith // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Dummett is a bang ordinary full back, who seldom gets forward, quite rightly because he has little in the way of an end product when he does. Great strike, did a terrific job on Lindgarde, but generally speaking it isn’t enough. Compare him to Bellerin at Arsenal. In this league it’s hopeless having defenders who can tackle and nothing else, if you have top eight aspirations. Janmaat gets caught out defensively because we don’t attack with enough potency. As the side improves so will he. Dumb won’t. But he’s great to have in the squad.

On another note, Shelvey is a great signing. Tiote holding, Shelvey pulling the strings and getting forward and Widj in the pocket is a top centre of the park. Saivet, I assume is bought as an upgrade on Gouffran.

Well done Mike Ashley. I was starting to get dirty, but they are two very good signings. Next for mine a Janmaat quality left back, and Townsend if he wants the move. If you are good enough for England, you are good enough for Newcastle and I think what he needs more than anything is a change of scenery.

• 97 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Cisse’s gone to the dogs. Don’t know what’s happened there.

• 98 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM

I agree with most on here, a striker to compliment mitro would be good, it would be interesting to see cisse and mitro as a partnership. As much as I liked SDJ being here maybe the time has come to cash in or let go of fella.

• 99 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM

According to The Express Newcastle United are interested in 27 Year-Old Ecuadorian striker Felipe Caicedo who plays for Espanyol.

• 100 Bobbybee // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Right, my back is telling me I’ve sat up long enough so I’ve got to go. Not sure which is worse, a spine that keeps fracturing for no reason or missing matches because of it. Later.

• 101 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Isn’t he the former citeh player?

• 102 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Time to let Siem go I think

• 103 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:52 AM

jimmy,
    Problem is he does get forward, a bit too much but then does nothing with it, if we are going to employ a bang ordinary LB we need a top drawer LW/ST

• 104 jimmysmith // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I meant Dummett, not “Dumb”. That’s auto correct up to its mischief. No disrespect intended. Paul Dummett is an excellent pro and home grown to boot of course. So more power to him.

• 105 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:52 AM

JimmySmith
    Were you there last night? Jamnutz was hugging the touchline like a winger. When he got it, he couldn’t deliver as usual. He’s neither one thing or the other.

• 106 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Yes Our Toon

• 107 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:57 AM

I remember the blog salivating over Remy being able to play on the left of a front three of Cisse and HBA yet when we finally got him that system was never played.

• 108 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Blackas,
    Pay attention, jimmysmith lives in Sydney !

• 109 jimmysmith // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Just saw the replay. My mistake, it was Martial that Dummett handled well through out, and Janmaat played better as the game progressed, particularly going forward, when Lindegarde, who had tracked back well, was taken off after that rotten effort of his on goal.

I’m not judging Janmaat nor Dummett on one performance, but overall, and I’ve seen them both on many occasions now, admittedly though only on the box.

• 110 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM

you know Felipe Caicedo played for man city.
    Haven’t seen too much of him.

• 111 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Gutted I missed it, getting up at 03 00 and finding a bar was beyond my range these days 🙁

• 112 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM

slank
    cheers for the update….theres another one off the list!lol
    what about seydou doumbia?

• 113 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Jail for Ashley .. best game in a long time, importantly team played with a lot of passion. Reminded me of a bobby robson, Keegan game.

• 114 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM

SPRINGY still talk of the Italian striker for Napoli. Manolo Gabbiadini

• 115 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM

sweendog
    he apparently said he did’nt want to leave so might take some persuading

• 116 hibbitt // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM

jail………..best game/atmosphere for a very long time place was jumping….loved it

• 117 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM

newsnow reporting they are back in for lacazette?

• 118 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Not often I agree with Blackley but Janmaat was an utter liability yesterday, I like attacking full backs but if you can’t cross for toffee then why go forward. Dummett kept showing martial onto his right foot which wasn’t sensible but he had a good game. Janmaat jogging back as Lingard overtakes him to score the 2nd. How many are we going to concede due to his lack of defensive capabilities.

Learn to cross and learn to defend

• 119 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:21 PM

16 mil a bit steep sweendog

• 120 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM

shelvey given no;12…saivet no;23

• 121 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM

• 122 Fostino // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:23 PM

i expressed an opinion that dummet is not good enough for l.b and i stand by that. hes more of a c.b.. is he good enough to command a starting position as c.b….not yet. at the moment he is our best l.b but as I and others have suggested, a better l.b. is needed. should be a priority buy in the summer. as for janmaat, i too aggree, he needs to focus more on his defensive game more but he’s certainly no less of a player than dummett is. the role of a wing back has changed in modern football. there players are the ones who should prob be running the most. does dummett and janmaat do that…i doudt it..dummet certainly doesnt

• 123 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:23 PM

our toon
    might be time to give mbabu a game at right back to give janmaat a much deserved kick up the arse

• 124 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Thanks springy

• 125 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM

take a chancel
    gabbys record is canny 12 goals in 24 games…so its looking like gabby,lacazette or remy are there main 3 strikers from reports

• 126 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Springy, not really watched him but he sounds like a striker we would be after fast, strong, mobile, being kept out by Higuain is the reason he’s not playing.

• 127 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:33 PM

take a chancel
    to go back to SDJ,i like the player, like his professionalism and he seems an intellegent and good organizer of players but we will never get to seem him at his best playing bit parts…and we cant play him as it would be to much of a risk as we are desperate for points…..for me i would consider loaning him out of use as part of a deal to get willems some how…player plus cash or cash with him going on loan till the end of the season…..unfortunately for our circumstances are not the best to us to get or see the best SDJ.

• 128 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM

sweendog
    he looks promising like lets see if we are willing match there 16m price and then persuade him to join.

• 129 Fostino // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM

were still favourites to sign berahino too

would love to see berahino or lazcette come. could let riverie and cisse go
    townsand for thauvin, obertan, goofy, marvo (We still have marvo)
    a top cb for taylor, willo
    wouldnt lose any sleep if tiote went too to china

• 130 ronaldo aarons // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I’ve been on about gabbiadini since we were linked with him. I watch a lot of serie a and I rate him a lot. He was great last year but has been mainly on the bench this year but still makes an impact off the bench. He doesn’t want to leave yet as he doesn’t want to jeopardise his place on the Italy squad but does want more game time. He would transform our attack and will be a big player in a few years. Already if very good. Good pace, awareness, great first touch, long range strikes are quality and can take a wicked free kick.thing is Napoli don’t want him to leave either as he is very useful to come of the bench, check his goal out over the weekend v frosinone. Think he’s a summer target if I’m honest.

• 131 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Fostino .. berahino, i’d pass on him, his attitude stinks for a near 20 mill, very risky business, good player though.

• 132 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:39 PM

OurToon @118
    Exactly. You get forward, present the opposition with a bad cross which sets them away, you should be busting a gut to get back. You might not make the tackle but you can get back and cover the man who is making it or who is trying to slow down the attack. But if you regularly give the ball away, just forget it altogether. Get out on the training pitch until you’re confident. Ashley Young is a master at it.

• 133 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:40 PM

ronaldo Aarons .. shame he’s waiting, surely guarantee’d first team place would help him move I think.

• 134 OneAlanShearer // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Ben yedder and Austin for me. Strikers keep teams up. That’s pace and experience right there.

• 135 sweendog // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Blackley and Brownlie .. agreed everyt time they were attacking down Janmaat’s side I was nervous, whether or not its because Sissoko isn’t covering, I don’t know but if you’re a right back you need to defend first, attack second.

• 136 ronaldo aarons // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Sweendog
    Not if he struggles to adapt and performs poorly which I don’t think he would but it’s still a risk for him.

• 137 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM

fostino
    we might be favourites but he has stated he only wants join spurs…..so unless spurs say they are not interested he’ll not join….would keep rivi and cisse till the end of the season unless we are offered good money
    townsend only on loan coz im not convinced…he’s quick but needs to deliver not just shoot,keep thauvin the lad needs time give him chance he’s came to a piss poor side with no confidence and seems people expect him to play like ronaldo!….needs time.
    marv was on the bench always seems injured give him to the of the season if no better release him
    same with obertan,willo,goofy,willo….keep tiote till the summer and taylor back up if cant be replaced.
    basically i would’nt let anyone go now unless there decent money offered coz if we pick up injuries that could be what relegates us….in the summer release the players surplus to requirements even if they have a year left

• 138 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Fostino,
    From what I’ve read Tiote was really good last night, are people forgetting we’re in the bottom three of the most unusual PL of it’s history, competition for places is vital.

• 139 JAMSHA // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM

if we get a quality CB play Colo as DM

• 140 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

newsnow saying chelsea looking at berahino so ther might be a chance remy yet

• 141 jayphoto // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Shelveys right! MillionAires or not, money can’t buy 52,000 singing your name and elavating you to god like status.
    Perform at Newcastle, give your all and the city never forgets and will always love you in a way no other city ever will. Thats what makes Newcastle special. Just ask Rob Lee, Nobby Solano, Les Ferdinand etc
    If Shelvey is a success here hel be more adored than Ronaldo is at madrid. I think because of the lack of success etc that players before they get here don’t realise what a huge club in the city it is and how important the club is to the people. Its not for everyone. Jenas’ goldfish bowl quote comes to mind but if you embrace it its like no other club in the premier league

• 142 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:54 PM

jamsha
    i would of tried colo in that position earlier in the season to see if it could work but now they have saivet and shelvey i doubt it will happen now

• 143 jayphoto // Jan 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM

@jail – i thought Tiote was good. Maybe not so much on the ball but then he showed for it and gave an option all the time allowing us to keep possession well. We had more of the ball than them because of it and they are a possession based side.
    Off the ball he looked like the tiote of old. Chasing, harrying, like a terrier. Kept up with the pace well.
    Opposite to Coloccini who was dodgy as off the ball but on it… Like bleeding beckenbauer, spraying the passes left and right. Not sure if hed make a decent holding midfielder but he’d make a damn good sweeper if we played that way

• 144 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:03 PM

We need to keep Tiote and not sell him I think him and Shelvey would bully most teams

Tiote is just starting to do well we will get the same fee for him in the summer but we will have stayed up there are plenty of players that should be sold before he goes !

Hope we get Mbabu back in at left wing back as I think that would be the formation that suit us the best with Wijnaldum behind Mitro with Shevley , Sissoko and Tiote in the middle 3

Perez looks shattered could do with a break for a few games would be better with Colback or Gouffran wide left than him at least they know the position lol

• 145 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Blackley

Spot on mate Janmaat needs to start busting a gut getting back, time after time he cuts in onto his left foot instead of just whipping a cross in…..frustrating

Jail – Tiote was very good yesterday, well impressed with him in the few games he has played, strong in the tackle….couple of risky passes but protected well.

Would it make sense to now shift Colback to LB?

• 146 Wayayman // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Afternoon everyone. Nice to see this place back to it’s best.

Just wanted to jump in re Tiote last night. Not sure Iagree that he’s back to where he was 2/3 years ago but he’s so limited. No one else get frustrated every time he receives the ball only to turn and play it sideways or backwards 95% of the time?
    The new formation when we have possession is for him to drop into a back 3 along side Colo and Mbemba and the 2 fullbacks are supposed get wide and forward, becoming wingers effectively. Nice idea, but if any of you see the game again from last night, keep an eye on Janmaat when we are in possession at the back. He starts to go forward, then goes back in to his own half to receive the ball facing his own goal. This happened time and time again last night and over the last few games too. He needs to ball in front of him, and it looks like to just doesnt trust the passer or the midfield to retain the ball so he doesnt want to bomb forward as much as he could if we had a good passes of the ball to feed him. For thiose slating him, how many times did Sissoko lose possession yesterday, and drop Janmaat right in it?

The great, positive thing about the 2 new lads is that one we know has a very good passing range and the other more defensive new lad Saivet appears to be a much more positive forward thinking version of Tiote

Interestingly, last night we created a lot more chances when Colback (god loves a trier-bless him) got his head up and tried switching play 2 or 3 times which really helped Janmaat get forward.

Hopefully it wont be too long before we have a new CM pairing. Mirtovic was very good last night I thought too, can’t believe the grief he’s been getting from some people! His hold up play and physicality allows Gini to get forward. Can’t imagine Cisse giving our team what the young lad does.

• 147 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Wayayman

Tiote doesn’t frustrate me with passing it sideways or backwards. It’s exactly what he should do because his role is to win it back, not to be a ball playing midfielder with flair. The lack of movement yesterday was clear for all to see, nothing on the left as Perez didn’t turn up. You can only pass forward if you have options to pass to

• 148 Wayayman // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Our Toon, Tiote had countless chances to pass it forward last night, Gini and Sissoko where actually looking for the ball and Mitro was giving the Man U defence a tough time.
    Not many top teams have a player who is so limited playing in such a pivotal role. A top class CDM should have the ability to pick a pass, Tiote just plays the safe option pretty much every time. Hopefully Saivet will show us how good it can be!

• 149 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Watching the game last night I could see Shelvey will do well if he takes Colbacks slot the amount of possession he has in our team is a lot so Shelvey will at least make things happen !

Shelvey can also take a free kick and have shots from outside the box !!

• 150 Jail for Ashley // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Wayaman,
    Great when the blogs like this, all we need is something to cheer about, the fat controller has given us very little over the last eight years.

• 151 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:21 PM

i would only use colback as a possible wing back in 3-5-2 if mbabu was not fit…..to start sat maybe
    ———————————elliot————————————
    ————-mbemba———-colo———dummett—————
    janmaat—————-sissoko—-tiote——————colback
    ———————————-gini————————————
    ——————-mitro————SDJ/toney/aarons————-
    perez on bench
    but will probs be the same side as last night tbh

• 152 bills-son // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Tiote played almost like the middle CB of a three at the back last night with Colo on the left and Mbemba on the right and Colback sitting in front of the three.

That allowed Wini to bomb forward and in his new CM position he is looking an absolute gem of a signing compared to out wide where he often went missing for large parts of a game.

It will be really interesting to see how McC uses Shelvey especially after Tiote’s suspension ends.

I’d go for a 3-5-1-1 of:

Mbemba Colo Dummet
    Sissoko Shelvey Tiote Saivet Colback
    Wini
    Mitro/ano

Sissoko

• 153 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Wayayman

Man utd midfield played side to side all game, Schniderlin, Fellani.

As for not many side would have such a limited player…..Real Madrid fella named Claude Makalele who went on to play for chelsea. Never ventured past the halfway line, won the ball and gave it to the fella next to him to pass on. Tiote ain’t no Makalele but you don’t need your DM playing penetrative passes forward. Win the ball, don’t do daft pirouettes and pass it short to the guy next to you who can then start the attack

• 154 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM

See thats Bas Dost out injured now as well as Carroll ? Score them off the transfer hitlist lol

Simone Zaza is apparently available he would be perfect has pace and works damn hard ! I think in the current premiership Italian and Spanish strikers can do well because of the space afforded to you compared to their own leagues which are more defensive

• 155 bills-son // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Don’t know where the second Sissoko came from!

• 156 Rotonda heights // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:26 PM

bills son

i’ve always liked the idea of a sweeper so gets my vote.

• 157 AMEOBI // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Hey I just met and this may sound craaaaazy, but where’s your hair gone?
    JONJO SHELVEY!

There’s the chant right there 😉

• 158 will die for the toon army // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Read thru all comments;
    1. NUFC is going to b patient on Lacazatte until the last day. Lyon allowed the the fee not its all about convincing the player.
    2. Dummett is no LB. Guy is a CB why cry about him not attacking.
    3. Am afraid most when Colo attacks and je loses the ball compared to any player.
    4. Perez has been below par of late and he is the one i drop if we sign any new player.
    5. Tiote is almost back to his best.
    6. Been impressed with Colo of late.
    7.Willems is coming in the summer we should b patient.

• 159 AMEOBI // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Hey I just met you, and this may sound craaaazy,
    But where’s your hair gone?

JONJO SHELVEY**

• 160 Rotonda heights // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM

LCBP

won’t lose any sleep missing out on those 2. Carroll especially it’s ridiculous how many injuries he gets, something he’s not doing right there i think.

Yes pace is what we deserately need but not headless chicken pace

• 161 ayecanny // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Wayayman

Spot on that, the stick mitrovic gets is stupid, we don’t get the ball in the box enough for him. Perez had a shocker last night, probably because he had no help from the left, not taken anything away from dummet mind because defensively he if brilliant especially last night against martial. I believe he will be CB in a few years.

I think this is where the team is heading and if Aarons can get fit I believe he will play on the left.

Elliot
    Janmat Mbemba Colo Dummet
    Shelvey Saivet
    Sissoko Wini Aarons
    Mitro

4 british players isn’t too bad, would like a couple more

• 162 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM

tiote did try to pass forward last night but either mis placed the pass or over hit pass…but to me he’s not there to do that he’s there to work hard,close down,tackle,stop play and win the ball back and recycle the ball back to the attackers….thats what he did and does best,thats all i expect from him tbh

• 163 will die for the toon army // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Since we are a counter attacking time we cant handle possessing football thats we failed with 4-4-2 and 4-3-1-2.

None of our players can hold the ball for a long time. All they do is run.
    We can play 4-2-3-1

• 164 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM

LCBP
    starting struggle for strikers now…prices will be going up!!lol

• 165 will die for the toon army // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM

ayecanny

Aarons is a good player let me hop he aint another Dyer or Emre.

We really need Thauvin to get back to his best. If they say is any Good. Coz our best team is
    ……..Shelvey….Saviet
    Sissoko…..Wijnaldum……Thauvin
    ………….Mitrovic

• 166 RUNAWAY777 // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Mike Dean lives just round the corner from Wyn Rooney many no that it’s true

• 167 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM

does anyone think ashley would stretch to 36m for koulibaly and gabbiadini?lol

• 168 Rotonda heights // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:52 PM

springy

• 169 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM

love the optimism rotonda!!lol

• 170 Rotonda heights // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:54 PM

dean is as bent as they come. I remember years ago against Boro when Kk was here second time around you may as well have put a boro shirt on dean. he’s as bad as webb was anyone v Manu.

• 171 Rotonda heights // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:55 PM

springy

could you imagine….lol

• 172 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM

sky sports transfer page
    steve mc would not deny that cheick tiote has played his last game for newcastle and its believed he will be allowed to leave for china once shelvey was signed

• 173 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:57 PM

i think ashley might shit his trousers at the thought of handing over that much money for 2 objects!!lol….would be a statement of intent tho??

• 174 LGFUAD21 // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Had a chance to process last nights excitement and have a few comments.

On Colo

Great performance. I’ve noticed something about his return to form. If he doesnt have a rock in front of him, he will struggle to play to his strengths and be distracted by whats going on in midfield.

If you protect him properly, he plays better and can focus on his main job – notice no more rushing out of defence to plug gaps in the middle. It’s no surprise that he has hit some form when Tiote comes back.

On Tiote

Some on here were laying in to him last night but I thought he was solid again. Yes he’s going to pick up silly bookings but that’s his game. Without him our midfield looks fragile and like we can collapse at any minute. He can take the sting out and everybody seems to play a better, calmer game with him in the team which leads me on to my next point.

New Signings
    I am happy with Shelvey and curious about Saivet but I still thing we are missing something. Tiote’s role is vital to our team, we’ve been unlucky with results and let down by forwards recently but performances aside from goals have been good – Arsenal, Watford, Last night to an extent. We are showing we can get a foot in games.

I think it should have been priority number 1 to find a replacement for Tiote – an enforcer. By having one, we protect our defence who were too exposed at the beginning of the season and we also allow our attacking players to express themselves more, we are seeing this with Gini and Sissoko when they have to worry a bit less about helping the defenders.

I can see what Shelvey will bring with his passing but I cant see what Saviet will. By some accounts he plays in a deep CM role but I doubt he breaks up play like Tiote does. By others he’s a winger, in which case he may be valuable. By others he is a makeshift winger that has lost his pace through injury and is really a CAM which I dont think we need. I think we’ll loose Tiote and be back to performances like Palace and Leicester.

On Perez
    He has some nice touches but can be knocked off the ball but I think the problem goes a bit further. When he drops back he gets crowded out of games and we loose his ability to test defenders with his movement. But when he doesnt drop back we are left with no one in that crucial “Hole”.

My opinion (sorry to be an armchair manager)

Janmaat – Mbemba – Colo – Dummet
    ——————–Tiote———————-
    ——————–Shelvey——————
    Moussa—————————-Thauvin
    ———————Gini———————-
    ———————Perez———————

Tiote wins the ball and passes to Shelvey.
    Shelvey does what he wants with it, aiming to get it to Thauvin, Gini or Moussa.
    Perez focuses on creating space for himself with his movement pinned to the opposition back four – just like Walcott and Vardy play (minus the pace)

We dont have winger to get the crosses in to play to Mitro’s strengths. We do have some decent attacking mids in Gini and Moussa and the focus should be on them breaking the opposition and feeding Perez with through balls.

We need to start looking at how Arsenal create chances and then aim to implement that. I genuinely believe we have the player ability to be a mid-table Arsenal.

• 175 belgrade fan // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:59 PM

springy

What about one of them, I think it would be more than great

• 176 Tsunki // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:59 PM

How long have we been plagued by the idea that one full backs are fantastic wingers? This probably goes back to Stephen Carr through Simmo and Santon… trouble is they need to do their day job. How often have we said janmaat has left himself stranded upfield ( wouldn’t mind if his crosses were any use) and left the back post exposed so our cb’s look like nuggets? Is there some kind of charter on the wall at nufc that no Manager or coach is allowed to override on this? Why don’t we just get proper wingers who can beat their man and get a ball in?

• 177 will die for the toon army // Jan 13, 2016 at 1:59 PM

koulibaly and Willems come in summer. NUFC is going to take a risk on Taylor till the end of the season.

Lacazzate is the striker we r after its like Thauvin deal. We will get our man lets jst put on a performance during Jan he will come.

If we r to get a striker in dont expect spending in Summer. We will jst sign a CB and LB. I expect no out goings jst the dead wood. Coz i believe Mcca wont give up on Thauvin and Aarons. Come 2016.
    GK: Krul, Elliott, Darlow, Woody
    RB: Janmatt, Mbabu
    LB: WILLEMS, Haidara
    CB: Mbemba, Colo,KOULIBALY, Lasceles, Dummett
    CM: Shelvey, Saviet, Colback, Anita
    WF: Sissoko, Thauvin, Aarons, TOWNSEND
    CAM: Wijnaldum, Perez
    CF: LACAZATTE, Mitrovic, Rivere, Toney, Arma.

Cisse, Marvuex, Obertan, Taylor, De Jong, Goufrann, Tiote, Willo, Good will b gone.

• 178 Tsunki // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Lgfuad – good shout on colo, been saying for ages our midfield has too many holes and exposes the centre of defense, making it look worse than it really is. People saying colback is good there haven’t a clue, he actually creates gaps. Imho

• 179 lochinvar // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Mike Dean is from the Wirral and his loyalty is believed to be with Liverpool. However he may well have known Rooney for a long time due to his scouser roots so might be difficult to ignore the former Evertonian connection. Maybe just an old pals act.

• 180 belgrade fan // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:07 PM

tsunki

Colback is very poor, hope him and Anita are finished now we have Saivet. LB needed

• 181 lochinvar // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Ed, so we signed Shelvey and immediately find out he has Goosepimples ?
    Is it infectious ?
    I was at the match – will I have caught it ?
    What’s the treatment ?
    What on earth were the Medical team thinking.
    Does mean that he’s on the injury list ?
    More importantly – can it be treated and how long will he be out ?
    Only at Newcastle.

• 182 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:09 PM

lgfuad 21
    dont worry about the arm chair manager its your opinion….christ i put up teams every day just ideas,thoughts talking points!!lol…..looks like we may saying goodbye to tiote……saivet looks like his replacement so we’ll just have to see what he has to offer

• 183 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:10 PM

LGFUAD

I agree with most of what you say, especially Tiote and Colo but I don’t think Perez can lead the from the front, you mentioned Arsenal, they need Giroud to hold it up and bring others into play. Hopefully mitro can carry on doing that as he’s strong in the area of the game. Perez upfront would mean the ball constantly coming back and us in the back foot

• 184 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:10 PM

belgrade
    your not wrong like…but the 2 would be fantastic!!lol

• 185 will die for the toon army // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:14 PM

LGFUAD21

Good observations on Colo and Tiote. Perez cant play lone striker.

What scares me is that if we lose Tiote and Mitrovic we might lose the way we have been playing lately.

Tiote the Enforcer and Mitrovic holding up play.

• 186 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM

perez’s movement,link up is his strength but could do with going to the gym anextra few times a week to build his strength and get a few people bouncing off him instead of the other way around….he does get knocked about a bit tbh

• 187 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM

@Springy

This not the window to gamble with what we have!! Can always deduct the money we spend from the massive amounts of money available next season !!

We still need a left back , left winger , centre back and experienced striker or it will be a failed window for me!! Could also do with a couple of other young players in for squad depth etc as well although that might asking for too much lol

We needed the 2 midfielders that have been signed this week in the summer seeing as we let Abeid , Jonas, Raylor , Vuckic , Sammy and Kemen so thats 4 permanent gone and 2 out on loan and we have only brought in 2 to replace them!!

That big beast of a defender Koubilaly from Napoli (excuse the spelling!) looks the real deal would be amazing if we signed him !!

• 188 JackButler // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Hope he makes a big impact with, can be a class player but can also be a nightmare by all accounts

• 189 will die for the toon army // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Koulibaly is the beast we need to stand besides Mbemba they can complement each other.

• 190 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:22 PM

just looking at the daily mail article on newsnow about pavel memorial…looks like a good send off for the man with great turn out,and some nice pics of former players showing there respect….and st james last night done him proud..well done to everyone there

• 191 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:23 PM

What we lacked last night was raw pace to bring on in the 2nd half Man Utd were on the ropes wish we had a 100% fit Rolando Aarons or a Bellamy esque striker to bring on…. Armstrong anyone?

• 192 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:23 PM

on a lighter note just seen a pic of darren peacock and thought it was bill nighy!!lol

• 193 Our Toon // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Lee bunga

Armstrong isn’t ready mate, Thauvin ripped apart Northampton who are a division below them, and he can’t get a sniff in the prem. Should be a good barometer for where Armstrong is and how poor the standard is

• 194 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM

LCBP
    i think a fit aarons would make a hell difference to this side or a similar but its getting a run of games out the lad….paul george n’tep might be worth a shout for that position…but he might be injured at the minute

• 195 JackButler // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Armstrong is not ready yet, surprised the club haven’t moved him onto a championship club for the second half of the season tbh. The lads too good for where he is and needs to be stepped up to a higher level

• 196 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:29 PM

or a similar player#

• 197 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM

@Our Toon

Yeah true although Thauvin is about half the speed of Armstrong and is built like a wet tampon!! Armstrong is at least solid and rapid !! Would rather keep him out on loan and sign someone with pace !!

I still think we will sign another 2 players in the window possibly loan deals

• 198 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Looks like Cisse is going to be out for months we need a striker in NOW !!!

• 199 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM

jack
    he’s playing and scoring where he is….if they move him he may not start which crush his confidence…i think he’ll stop there till the end of the season then they’ll bring him back,assess if hes ready for the first team.. if not loan him to the championship somewhere.

• 200 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM

strikers were linked to or have are dropping like flys!!lol

• 201 JackButler // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Springy

The lads not being pushed where he is as he’s simp,y far too good for that league and six months in the championship would help him more, even if he struggles a bit it will be a bigger learning experience than doing what he’s doing right now. Confidence is a massive part for a young player but so is learning to fight like hell to play.

• 202 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM

anyone know anything about rahman at chelsea…ano he’s a left back but thinking as a loan might be worth shout…they paid 17.7m for him so must have some talent

• 203 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:44 PM

jack
    good points…..confidence over experience.. or a bit of both

• 204 SPRINGY // Jan 13, 2016 at 2:47 PM

galatasaray are after austin apparently

• 205 G peart 83 // Jan 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM